Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Are mages going to be OP like they were at P99 launch? As in able to chain cast pets and not have them steal a ton of XP?

My claim to fame was being in like the top 10 players for the first 24 hours of P99 launch but I doubt I'll be poopsocking this time

I wonder about that and stuff like xp penalties too. Xp penalties are pretty brutal for hybrids. I'm sure people will play them anyways, but it's rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

hayden. posted:

Are mages going to be OP like they were at P99 launch? As in able to chain cast pets and not have them steal a ton of XP?

My claim to fame was being in like the top 10 players for the first 24 hours of P99 launch but I doubt I'll be poopsocking this time

As I understand it, it will be Blue with an accurate timeline of patches and expansions, so enchanters will rule until their single target stun gets nerfed.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Meatgrinder posted:

As I understand it, it will be Blue with an accurate timeline of patches and expansions, so enchanters will rule until their single target stun gets nerfed.

Is that Whirl Til You Hurl? OP spin stun line, right?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Meatgrinder posted:

Twenty mobs? Try the whole zone. The cap on the amount of mobs targeted by point blank aoe was a late Velious patch.

pbaoe got capped before Luclin? I dunno about that, I used to pbaoe in luclin with my druid, basically pulled everything in The Grey, including some of the trap mobs, I would hit every mob without a *problem.

*The lag from that would sometimes result in death, but drat was it a fuckton of experience.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm extremely interested in the idea of Bard powerleveling antics. I know about the PBAoE snare method which uses the massive aggro generated from that to keep a pack of mobs on the bard while the leveling person AoEs the pack in safety. But I'm wondering if there's a way to powerlevel non-spellcasters like warriors.

My idea is to use the PBAoE mez to gather up mobs with the lowest possible aggro generation, and then charm single mobs in that pack to get massacred to an inch of their life by the pack (similar to how people charm-mob-kite Seafuries). I'd use a Gaz ring to break the charm once the mob hits 15% or less, so as soon as the charm breaks it gets mem-blurred and also starts fleeing, and then whoever I'm powerleveling could pick it off while I get another mob charmed and beaten up.

The only uncertainty is the PBAoE mez aggro generation. I need to be able to grab low-level mobs which aren't going to willingly chase me (unless they're undead), but also need to be able to do so without actually hurting them so they will be more inclined to pack-swarm whatever mob I charm instead of just continuing to chase me.

Does anyone have experience doing weirder powerleveling stunts like this with Bards?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I've seen people pull off bard PL on a melee using a Blued Two-Handed Hammer, but they also had a wizard to blast everything down while the bard held aggro with snares, and a shaman to log in and dex buff the hammerer. Hammerer would proc a few times while the wizard did most of the work, wizard would gate once mobs got low, and the bard would help the hammerer finish things off. Gate back, rinse and repeat. Of course, once you're getting more than two people involved it's arguably faster to just roll an extra wizard to level up the melee in group.

Your idea could work in principle assuming you've got mobs with the right flee and assist behavior, but managing all that aggro to keep the pack on a pet while not getting someone killed, keeping the pack big enough to damage the pet reasonably fast without accidentally overmurdering it, and doing it in a zone with enough space that likely has a poo poo ZEM also seems it would only be worth it for the challenge of the gimmick. Ideally you'd end up making GBS threads fleeing mobs out from the pack so you could take the rest of them out of social aggro range before the PL recipient would engage. That way you could keep your own aggro low enough that they'd still pile on pets. Of course, then you're going to struggle to babysit the PL recipient and keep them safe from wandering adds while they're trying to beat the last 10%+ down of whatever mob you've dumped out.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Somehow I got the itch to start this up, haven't played I think since a little after velious first came out. Def bring back the nostalgia.
Can't wait to level up and go explore old zones.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rotten posted:

Somehow I got the itch to start this up, haven't played I think since a little after velious first came out. Def bring back the nostalgia.
Can't wait to level up and go explore old zones.

Join the discord and let us know if you need anything. P99 is definitely very good at scratching that itch for a bit.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

Join the discord and let us know if you need anything. P99 is definitely very good at scratching that itch for a bit.

I'll do that

Rotten
May 21, 2002

drat, game sunk it's claws in me hard. Been having a lot of fun.
Always wanted a druid so figured that would be good to start fresh with. Previous chars were a late 50's war and sk.
Name is Kaladian in game. Suppose I need a guild invite, and any gear or plat anyone wants to throw my way, never leveled a caster before and holy gently caress spells are expensive.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Rotten posted:

drat, game sunk it's claws in me hard. Been having a lot of fun.
Always wanted a druid so figured that would be good to start fresh with. Previous chars were a late 50's war and sk.
Name is Kaladian in game. Suppose I need a guild invite, and any gear or plat anyone wants to throw my way, never leveled a caster before and holy gently caress spells are expensive.

Wis caster spells are really expensive, but you are spared the pain of research. Druid is a good choice.

I always join a leveling guild since I rarely see goons in my timezone.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

Meatgrinder posted:

Wis caster spells are really expensive, but you are spared the pain of research. Druid is a good choice.

I always join a leveling guild since I rarely see goons in my timezone.

Meatgrinder hooked me up!
Thanks for the help dude!

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

I’ve been thinking about playing a little old-school EQ lately. I’ve read that the current FTP version from Daybreak is too different from the original, but that Project 1999 is pretty drama-filled - I played from release to the start of PoP, so I’d like to be a bit nostalgic without losing my mind. Should I play the Daybreak version until the P99 stuff chills out, or are people overstating the drama?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

I’ve been thinking about playing a little old-school EQ lately. I’ve read that the current FTP version from Daybreak is too different from the original, but that Project 1999 is pretty drama-filled - I played from release to the start of PoP, so I’d like to be a bit nostalgic without losing my mind. Should I play the Daybreak version until the P99 stuff chills out, or are people overstating the drama?

Come play on Mangler on the live servers. There is one month left of classic and then Kunark comes out.

New expansions drop every 3 months. It has a good mix of old school stuff mixed with some modern conveniences like instancing when zones get too full, no XP penalties, faster XP than classic, etc.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm in my mid-20's and everyone has been super chill and friendly. As far as I'm aware the drama seems to mainly be at the raiding guild tier of play?

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
P99 is the poo poo. The drama is just at the tippy top of the raiding endgame. I got all the way up to 60 and did a decent amount of casual raiding and never had to deal with it. Otherwise, the server was amazing, people were great, and it is a way better, almost perfect classic experience recreation. Live EQ is some Frankensteinein abomination and feels nothing like classic.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 is great except for the total lack of naive players, which can't really be emulated. In actual classic, there were multiple full groups in temple of cazic thule every day. And I loved that place. Even though it had no real good loot, it was extremely out of the way and the mobs are like 50% healers. I remember feeling elite as hell swimming down to those gator groups in that tunnel, which literally dropped nothing. These days people wised up and just go to mistmoore.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Relayer posted:

P99 is great except for the total lack of naive players, which can't really be emulated. In actual classic, there were multiple full groups in temple of cazic thule every day. And I loved that place. Even though it had no real good loot,

Rubicite was the reason cazic was so camped. It was a ghost town post-rubicite.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

I've been playing a ton and so far it's really fun.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

Rubicite was the reason cazic was so camped. It was a ghost town post-rubicite.

I mean on my server it was pretty steadily camped after rubicite until kunark at least. So at least during classic era there were a ton of groups there just for grindfest xp even after rubi was nerfed and before kunark.

Then there was the luclin revamp, with those sweet sweet FT2 shoes. It was hard as gently caress and kinda awesome

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
Any chance anyone can help my shaman (Gopt) get a child's tear and do the last fight to finish my epic? I am 51 and not currently in a guild. This is my highest char so getting the 90k for the MQ is pretty much out of my reach.

If not any tips on cash camps I can do to get 90k?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Foil posted:

Any chance anyone can help my shaman (Gopt) get a child's tear and do the last fight to finish my epic? I am 51 and not currently in a guild. This is my highest char so getting the 90k for the MQ is pretty much out of my reach.

If not any tips on cash camps I can do to get 90k?

I did this with/for a friend, but the tears were 60k back then. We did geos/goos in WL, but that was with my druid porting out to sell every so often, camped Syrin Hair Hood in Rathe Mountains, and I made resist jewelry, hp/ac rings and sow pots and sold those in EC. Took us a few weeks to get the cash.

Fight itself was easy with two groups, and I found plenty of volunteers for it since you kill those golems that drop the reaver for druid/ranger epic.

e: I also killed the guardian wurms in GD for the gems for the hp ac rings, and they also drop cash/spells that you can sell.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
Guess I might have to level my druid some more, he is at least already 27.

What guilds do PoF? Might try to tag along with a guild and get it myself.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Can't help you with current guilds, but you'll likely have more luck joining a guild even in the most casual way and just showing up enough so that you eventually get your shot at one. Otherwise some rando member is going to log on an alt to scoop up tears or have someone save them to MQ for guild reagent fundage etc.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I've seen people pull off bard PL on a melee using a Blued Two-Handed Hammer, but they also had a wizard to blast everything down while the bard held aggro with snares, and a shaman to log in and dex buff the hammerer. Hammerer would proc a few times while the wizard did most of the work, wizard would gate once mobs got low, and the bard would help the hammerer finish things off. Gate back, rinse and repeat. Of course, once you're getting more than two people involved it's arguably faster to just roll an extra wizard to level up the melee in group.

Your idea could work in principle assuming you've got mobs with the right flee and assist behavior, but managing all that aggro to keep the pack on a pet while not getting someone killed, keeping the pack big enough to damage the pet reasonably fast without accidentally overmurdering it, and doing it in a zone with enough space that likely has a poo poo ZEM also seems it would only be worth it for the challenge of the gimmick. Ideally you'd end up making GBS threads fleeing mobs out from the pack so you could take the rest of them out of social aggro range before the PL recipient would engage. That way you could keep your own aggro low enough that they'd still pile on pets. Of course, then you're going to struggle to babysit the PL recipient and keep them safe from wandering adds while they're trying to beat the last 10%+ down of whatever mob you've dumped out.

The Blued Two-Handed Hammer thing is probably the better way to go from the sound of it, along with a wizard or someone to DPS down the mobs. I think damage shielding would also work for lower levels since if I understand correctly those don't count as your own damage?

I've been practicing the charm-swarming thing now that I have a gaz ring and I'm getting a feel for how it could work. I'd need to pull a swarm that social aggroes or aggressively aggroes (undead?), and then I must charm-pull mobs that are NOT of the same social aggro table as that swarm and have them get clobbered by the swarm. Doing this, I can pretty easily generate sub-15% fleeing mobs as soon as I break the charm. This could work until 37 at least.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So who's planning on going green in October? I haven't played on P99 since it launched but I'm all in for a fresh server.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Personally I'm all P99'd out and don't really have any love for Rogean/Nilbog

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Slim Killington posted:

So who's planning on going green in October? I haven't played on P99 since it launched but I'm all in for a fresh server.

I'll never go green I have to click my guise on my female shaman and stand at the front of the EC tunnel all day looking cool

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I will go green as soon as it's available. I just hope it doesn't split the base too much

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sankis posted:

I will go green as soon as it's available. I just hope it doesn't split the base too much

Every zone is going to be swarm kited by bards for a year

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Splitting the base is inevitable in this case. Many have been waiting years for green I hope the administration is up to the task they are attempting a lot of trainees at this moment. Hopefully some can learn the approach green is going to demand.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Lemming posted:

Every zone is going to be swarm kited by bards for a year

Nah it wouldn't be efficient for a Bard. In many places mobs are going to be tagged as soon as they spawn.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
When you actually consider the classic timeline green is going to go by so fast. Year of classic, then kunark, then velious like 6 months later. They need to embrace this custom content thing

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would absolutely welcome some Shards of Dalaya-esque custom content, especially with regards to trying to make every class useful and viable. Also making archery not complete trash.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Dick Burglar posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would absolutely welcome some Shards of Dalaya-esque custom content, especially with regards to trying to make every class useful and viable. Also making archery not complete trash.

Shards of Dalaya was awesome until they devved themselves into a hole by making it nearly impossible for new players to catch up with veterans because of enormous time sinks that weren't optional (looking at you tomes of power and 1,000,000pp charm). They eventually took out Tomes of Power but the damage was already done and only put a bandaid on the problem. SoD's greatest strength was its custom content and desire to make all classes useful, but unfortunately that doesn't matter so much when you are looking at a couple hundred hours of investment before you can do higher end content.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's pretty funny watching professional gamers stream the classic wow beta and just completely fail at basic rear end EQ things like proximity aggo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did later wow get rid of that? how would they not know about that???

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

Play w my lv7 monk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm waiting on the green server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don’t remember WoW outright getting rid of proximity aggro, but I do remember that in Warlords that most dungeon trash would aggro based on tripping invisible flags that made the Orcs go “WAAGH!” rather than just getting closer to an enemy.