Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Hammerstein posted:

Tell me about it, I AM Austrian. When I graduated from highschool in the late 90ies things had barely begun to improve in school books.

And now, 74 years after the end of WW2, the ideological successors of the NSDAP got elected by 24% of the voters and our vice-chancellor is a former neo-nazi.

Not to convinced about the "former" part tbh, just remember that it's only been like a year that Strache personally met with leading Identitäre, praising their work afterwards on Facebook

Starks posted:

Look if the Alexander the Great dispute got resolved, there’s hope for everyone. Just need the EU to get involved.

I'm actually going to FYROM North Macedonia this summer, can't wait to learn on the ground about what might be the dumbest international dispute of all history

While very much not sitting in a Starbucks, by the way:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1126945005757714432?s=21

fake edit:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Austria was even ruled by their own flavor of fascism before the Anschluss.

That's one of the wacky things about fascism. There was a cavalcade of very specific national varieties sometimes even several in each country.

It's even hard to say if the Austrian state of 1934-38 can rightly be called fascism, because fascism is notoriously hard to pin down. Leading fascism scholars like Richard Paxton don't think that the pre-Anschluss regime really falls into the fascism camp (neither do the Franco and Salazar regimes according to him btw), but it's certainly a topic that can be argued forever without any real way to conclusively go either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look if it's palingenetic ultranationalism it's fascism to me.

When it comes to definitions of fascism Roger Griffin is my guy. I did my thesis on this poo poo and read a dozen different books about what fascism is and his just seemed like the most practical definition.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 10, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Turkey: really big on Starbucks for some reason.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want to see Starbucks per capita, useless otherwise.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Two in Monaco, what the hell

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Two in Monaco, what the hell

Stupid rich people and tourists?

Hell, I'm Danish, and I got curious to see were those mythical Starbucks actually were:

Nine of them are in the capital region, seven in the immediate center, turns out that the count of nineteen is probably from counting the Starbucks in the Airport a few times, it has a division both inbound and outbound.

One is located within a larger Hypermarket in Southern Zealand. One inside the main lobby of the University of Southern Denmark's Odense Campus. Another two are inside Hypermarkets in middle Jutland. And two are in Aarhus, one inside a Department store.

I don't know were the nineteen came from, Starbucks own store locator report twelve stores in Denmark. Funny is that Danes drink coffee by the bucket load, but they drink coffee the proper way, dark and miserable, as proper Danes do.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want to see Starbucks per capita, useless otherwise.

England and Andorra are fairly close in Starbucks per capita. Andorra more than doubles Turkey by this stat.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

System Metternich posted:

Not to convinced about the "former" part tbh, just remember that it's only been like a year that Strache personally met with leading Identitäre, praising their work afterwards on Facebook

I'm actually going to FYROM North Macedonia this summer, can't wait to learn on the ground about what might be the dumbest international dispute of all history

While very much not sitting in a Starbucks, by the way:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1126945005757714432?s=21

I'm english and have never been to starbucks I must be a unicorn.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

vyelkin posted:

Russia only really became a teetering power in the 19th century when peasants stopped winning wars and factories started winning them. Russia was the strongest military power in Europe in 1815, but by the 1850s it could be beaten on its own territory by British and French factories and steamships that could supply the Crimea better by sea than the Russians could by land.

e: not that this changes anything about alt-history HOI mods ignoring these kinds of things :v:

Moving supplies (anything really) by boat has always always always been easier than moving them by land. Except maybe (maybe!) briefly in the late 1800s after trains routes were well developed but steamships weren't.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 11, 2019

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

There are only 23 Starbucks in Australia as of July 2018, and only on the tourist areas of the biggest cities.

Pretty sure there are about 100 Starbucks just in Vancouver. Tim Hortons is supposed to be dominant in Canada but Starbucks won on the west coast.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I went to Starbucks a lot during my China trip because it's the only reliable source of coffee in mainland China.

Anyway does the 13 for Cyprus include Northern Cyprus?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Can't really recall seeing a Starbucks in Belgium myself, but apparently they exist.

What I do know is that we're bizarrely barren of international fast food chains other than McDonald's and Quick, there's no Burger King or KFC.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Phlegmish posted:

Can't really recall seeing a Starbucks in Belgium myself, but apparently they exist.

What I do know is that we're bizarrely barren of international fast food chains other than McDonald's and Quick, there's no Burger King or KFC.
KFC will return to Belgium this year. Burger King now owns Quick and will open 30-40 new BK restaurants in Belgium (there are 10 of them right now). There are also two Five Guys restaurants in Belgium.

But we're a weird little country where Quick's head start and the omnipresence of the frituur ruined a lot of earlier attempts to introduce new international fast food chain restaurants in the past.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are actually zero Starbuckses in Finland, but there are eight in the Western parts of Karelia.

They'd have no chance competing against Hescafe in Finland anyway.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Hammerstein posted:

Tell me about it, I AM Austrian. When I graduated from highschool in the late 90ies things had barely begun to improve in school books.

And now, 74 years after the end of WW2, the ideological successors of the NSDAP got elected by 24% of the voters and our vice-chancellor is a former neo-nazi.

Austria is easily the European country with the worst WW2 revisionism.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I went to Starbucks a lot during my China trip because it's the only reliable source of coffee in mainland China.

Anyway does the 13 for Cyprus include Northern Cyprus?

Using google I could only find 9 Starbucks in Cyprus, all in the south.
I'm really not sure what the legal logistics are for chains operating in places unrecognized by so much of the world.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
edit: I can't read, nevermind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Austria is the Bavaria of europe.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
someone do mcdonald's in europe because I want to see two more pages of euros sweating about how "uhh heh I'd uhh never go to an american owned restorante because I go to my uhhh local shop.. haha yea"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Personally I've never been to an Aldi's.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
starbucks website shows 13 stores, 2 in Larnica, 6 in Nicosia, 4 in Limmisol, and one in Protaras, so they're all in the south.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Peanut President posted:

someone do mcdonald's in europe because I want to see two more pages of euros sweating about how "uhh heh I'd uhh never go to an american owned restorante because I go to my uhhh local shop.. haha yea"

McDonalds is really loving expensive compared to everything else, tbh.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

McDonalds is really loving expensive compared to everything else, tbh.

i'm sure it is, they probably have to import tomatoes special since you guys won't eat them normally

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut President posted:

What?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I want that post to be real.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I want a Dunkin Donuts Europe map please.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peanut President lashing out at the Yurapeens, not knowing that actually they loving adore his native Dixie's KFC.

Epicurius posted:

starbucks website shows 13 stores, 2 in Larnica, 6 in Nicosia, 4 in Limmisol, and one in Protaras, so they're all in the south.

North Cyprus having no Starbucks while Turkey has a gently caress billion is a perfect illustration at how they've become prisoners of their own protector.

Grape fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 11, 2019

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Europeans and especially Australians poo poo all over McDonald's while also loving loving it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pook Good Mook posted:

Europeans and especially Australians poo poo all over McDonald's while also loving loving it.

So just like Americans then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
McDonald's is just mad that they lost the copyright to the Big Mac and Mc prefix on foods in Europe after trying to sue Pat McDonagh's butchers in Ireland.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've never met a non-intoxicated person who admitted to eating McDonald's, but somebody's keeping them in business.

(it's me I like mcnuggets)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

They poo poo on it because it's a mediocre fast food chain, not because it's American, do you think you own the concept of fast food

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

Peanut President lashing out at the Yurapeens, not knowing that actually they loving adore his native Dixie's KFC.

KFC sucks so though?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
european teens love mcdonalds as its basically the only place for them to hang out

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pook Good Mook posted:

how could it ever be possible, in a continent of 750 million people, for there to be a significant number of people who think a thing is bad, while enough people still think it is good for the thing to remain extremely profitable? surely the european hive mind would never permit such an outcome.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

advanced statsman posted:

european teens love mcdonalds as its basically the only place for them to hang out

Maybe in the frozen tundras north of the Pyrenees but down here in Dumas' Africa they hang out in parks and squares.

They do go to McDonald's when already drunk/high if they are no kebab shops around.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
further up north they go to poo poo chains like hesburger or they just spend time in parking lots

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ulvino posted:

Maybe in the frozen tundras north of the Pyrenees but down here in Dumas' Africa they hang out in parks and squares.

They do go to McDonald's when already drunk/high if they are no kebab shops around.

Even in the homelands of kebab/gyro teens still hit up Micky D's with regularity. And KFC.
And goddamned Pizza Hut.
They put ketchup on it too the absolute fucks.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grape posted:

North Cyprus having no Starbucks while Turkey has a gently caress billion is a perfect illustration at how they've become prisoners of their own protector.

There is a Popeye's in Famagusta, and a Johnny Rockets in Lefkosa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015