Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm in the midst of changing my eating habits and losing weight, and oatmeal is my lifeline.

Don't poo poo-talk oatmeal.

Oh and Ettin's game looks sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I'm in the midst of changing my eating habits and losing weight, and oatmeal is my lifeline.

Don't poo poo-talk oatmeal.

Oh and Ettin's game looks sweet.

Try overnight oats if you haven’t yet, they’re great.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

extremely disappointed in how fast this conversation moved past delicious casear salad towards gross oatmeal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've always seen oatmeal as more of a snack than a meal and I can easily see a sufficiently sweet and fruit-topped bowl as a dessert.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i like to drop chocolate chips in my oatmeal

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kai Tave posted:

A game about how capitalism sucks big fat dong, you say? Well guess who's Kickstarting an all new cyberpunk game about the far future of 2020?

Yeah it's Ettin, as if you couldn't guess from the noodle shop sign.

I assume that 'send noods' is a service that allows you to digitally receive remotely cooked ramen.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You have clearly had some lovely caesar salads.

A good caesar salad is super exciting and basically my power meal if I need nutrition but don’t want to be weighed down by a huge lunch.

Tips :

Some like steak, some like chicken me I like shrimp but we quibble on protein. The important part is you pan sear it crispy with blackening spice.

Use spinach instead of lettuce. The slightly bitter flavor complements the tang of the dressing and it’s easier to eat cause it doesn’t have thick ribs.

Feta cheese. Just always add feta cheese to salads. Feta is amazing.

MAKE A REAL loving CAESAR DRESSING NOT A RITE AID BRAND BULLSHIT. IT TAKES LIKE FOUR MINUTES AND THE ONLY THING YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE IS ANCHOVIES. (If you’re veggie you can use Worcestershire sauce as sub, and if you’re really, really strict veggie you can use mushroom stock.)

And get some real parmesan and shave that up like the little temptress it is.

Caesar salads are definitely something to get excited about, and if you aren’t it’s because of lovely past salads.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

gnome7 posted:

Ettin and Freyja have been talking to me about this game for a couple months now and it looks Very Good to my eyes, especially if you want a game about saying "gently caress capitalism." There's a very important subsystem all about having to pay for your existence, and cool robot parts make existing more expensive, but costs go down if you have a roommate. The mechanics extremely enforce poverty subsistence but with cool robot bits so you can try and maybe overthrow the system enforcing your terrible poverty subsistence.

Yeah, I poked them on Twitter about it the other day, and it looks like it will be straight-up my jam given how I adore cyberpunk and feel it should be radically anticapitalist.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Caesar salads are delicious. I will absolutely get excited about a real loving good caesar salad for lunch.

Oatmeal...I got texture issues with it.

Lancer looks rad as gently caress, and I love it's flirtation with weird desert-punk aesthetics mixed in with Abby's absolute insanity in other designs.

Ettin and Freyja's game sounds rad as gently caress but goddamn if that noodle stand isn't dangerously weaponized Ettin joke.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I didn't even write that one. Like three people sent it to me when I was looking for noodle stand names.

I wrote Cafe Bebop :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

occamsnailfile posted:

A good novel to read might be Meddling kids by Edgar Cantero, it toys with the Scooby tropes mingling with the genuinely traumatic effects of meeting the supernatural and exposing kids to danger. It’s also pretty nicely written and sometimes as funny as it thinks it is.

I’m in the camp of loving Caesar salads and hating oatmeal. I guess this means I should buy but never play Lancer.

That sounds pretty awesome. I'll look into it. Maybe Audible has an audiobook. Seriously, Scooby Doo is shockingly good. Has anyone watched Mystery Incorporated? That show is postmodern Scooby-Doo written by fans deconstructing the entire series and it's amazing.

Anyone, your book suggestion reminds me of an idea I've been kicked around. The basic premise is kind of weird. You know all of those crappy Love Hina-inspired harem comedies? The main characters off and beaten up for Comic effect for doing nothing. Like they're not actually perfect and it's usually just an accident. It's weird in the humor is creepy and weird but it is an accident. And they get their poo poo kicked in just for accidentally opening the bathroom door. I've been kicking around the idea where the protagonist ends up in our worlds and they recognize that he is the victim of abuse. A part of it has to do with the fact that I don't think those Harem comedies are funny and part of it has to do with the fact it really is basically abuse. I think it could be a vehicle to discuss domestic abuse against men.

Jimbozig posted:

I don't like oatmeal, grits, polenta, or any of that poo poo. I've had good versions. They are fine. I'd rather have something else. Even mashed potatoes are mostly a no for me unless they have some serious kick. I guess it's the texture that doesn't do it for me because the flavours can be good.

But congee and rice pudding are real good poo poo, so I guess if I'm boiling some grain into mush, it should be rice.

No, it makes no sense. That's taste for you.

I'm just going to jump in and say polenta is some good poo poo. That's my go-to meal of choice if I want to have that kind of dish.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ettin posted:

I didn't even write that one. Like three people sent it to me when I was looking for noodle stand names.

I wrote Cafe Bebop :colbert:
Does your setting have Uber for Runners?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

That sounds pretty awesome. I'll look into it. Maybe Audible has an audiobook. Seriously, Scooby Doo is shockingly good. Has anyone watched Mystery Incorporated? That show is postmodern Scooby-Doo written by fans deconstructing the entire series and it's amazing.

Anyone, your book suggestion reminds me of an idea I've been kicked around. The basic premise is kind of weird. You know all of those crappy Love Hina-inspired harem comedies? The main characters off and beaten up for Comic effect for doing nothing. Like they're not actually perfect and it's usually just an accident. It's weird in the humor is creepy and weird but it is an accident. And they get their poo poo kicked in just for accidentally opening the bathroom door. I've been kicking around the idea where the protagonist ends up in our worlds and they recognize that he is the victim of abuse. A part of it has to do with the fact that I don't think those Harem comedies are funny and part of it has to do with the fact it really is basically abuse. I think it could be a vehicle to discuss domestic abuse against men.

I'm just going to jump in and say polenta is some good poo poo. That's my go-to meal of choice if I want to have that kind of dish.

They do have an audiobook because that's how I read it. Definitely pretty fun and part of me hopes he writes more in the series.

If you want a good idea of what not to do with Scooby Doo check out Scooby Apocalypse. It's a comic series that just ended and it's certainly A Thing

Also the first WWE/Scooby Doo movie is pretty solid and I say that as someone who isn't a big fan of either

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Len posted:

They do have an audiobook because that's how I read it. Definitely pretty fun and part of me hopes he writes more in the series.

If you want a good idea of what not to do with Scooby Doo check out Scooby Apocalypse. It's a comic series that just ended and it's certainly A Thing

Also the first WWE/Scooby Doo movie is pretty solid and I say that as someone who isn't a big fan of either

Can we talk about that? What is it with Hanna-Barbera and wrestling? There are 5 crossovers between the two properties on VRV. I don't even begin to understand how the Jetson crossed over.

Also, I'm aware of Scooby-Doo apocalypse. It look like garbage. But I guess I can't really blame them because they couldn't do what they did with The Flintstones because Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated already did that. But still, that comic looked like bantha poodoo.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There is a deep soft spot in my heart for oatmeal that's had some peanut butter and jelly added.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Can we talk about that? What is it with Hanna-Barbera and wrestling? There are 5 crossovers between the two properties on VRV. I don't even begin to understand how the Jetson crossed over.

Also, I'm aware of Scooby-Doo apocalypse. It look like garbage. But I guess I can't really blame them because they couldn't do what they did with The Flintstones because Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated already did that. But still, that comic looked like bantha poodoo.

Because Warner Bros. and Vince McMahon love money.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The only good salads are pasta and potato. Leaves are gross, it's why you can't eat them without dumping sauces on them!

Oatmeal is good if you make it right and put good things in them. A little cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe a dash of cocoa powder, you have a breakfast that will keep you going. I'd never eat it as dessert though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

Because Warner Bros. and Vince McMahon love money.

Which is why it's a shame that we haven't had more since the one with the Jetsons

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hostile V posted:

There is a deep soft spot in my heart for oatmeal that's had some peanut butter and jelly added.

Oatmeal with peanut butter chips and maple syrup is a baller breakfast.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kaysette posted:

Oatmeal with peanut butter chips and maple syrup is a baller breakfast.
:hmmyes: These words you speak are true.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Ettin posted:

You could say that they...sent you Noodz! :smugteddie:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Try overnight oats if you haven’t yet, they’re great.
Oh for sure. It's my go-to breakfast.

Half cup of each classic oats, milk, plain yogurt. Teaspoon of chia seeds. Half cup frozen blueberries. You can add more sweeteners or use flavored yogurt I guess, but the berries are sufficient for me.

Mildly sweet, creamy, and amazing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ghost Leviathan posted:

District 9 has Apartheid elements to the allegory, but it's literally set in a recently abandoned camp of Nigerian refugees and named after 'District 6'. The use of 'man on the street' footage in the original short film was very on purpose there. The whole point is that treating the Prawns horribly is both unjustified, unnecessary and likely counterproductive given by the end of the movie the average viewer is actively cheering for the Prawns to invade Earth in retaliation. Refugees are usually people out of their element and in a horrible state who need help and face exploitation, cruelty and hate specifically because of that.

I just realized something that bugged me- District 6 was a non-white district in Cape Town that suffered a forced removal in the 70s. I've been to the museum there. It was absolutely an apartheid-era segregation and removal. The apartheid elements are core; the point is to show how the treatment of refugees is equivalent to apartheid.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Covok posted:

"That sounds great though, how bad can it be?"

"... Oh, that is pretty bad I guess."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

"That sounds great though, how bad can it be?"

"... Oh, that is pretty bad I guess."

The idea is that Velma creates a nanovirus (at the urging of her four brothers, who're all evil military/capitalist millionaires), and it winds up being loosed on the world and turns everyone into monsters. Shaggy was working at the facility as an animal handler for a "let animals talk like humans" experiment, and Fred and Daphne are freelance YouTube-style investigative reporters who snuck into the facility before the plague hit.

And yes, Scrappy is in it. Flim-Flam too, I think.

e: as bad as that is, the Wacky Races series is worse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Scooby Apocalypse was what it was, and I found it at the worst workmanlike and only exists because it was Jim Lee's idea. That said, what on Earth could they do with Wacky Races?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The idea is that Velma creates a nanovirus (at the urging of her four brothers, who're all evil military/capitalist millionaires), and it winds up being loosed on the world and turns everyone into monsters. Shaggy was working at the facility as an animal handler for a "let animals talk like humans" experiment, and Fred and Daphne are freelance YouTube-style investigative reporters who snuck into the facility before the plague hit.

And yes, Scrappy is in it. Flim-Flam too, I think.

They didn't sneak in they were invited in by Velma to reveal the truth of what she'd done.

I made some effort post in another thread recently I'll try to find later but it's not good

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Scooby Apocalypse was what it was, and I found it at the worst workmanlike and only exists because it was Jim Lee's idea. That said, what on Earth could they do with Wacky Races?
The world is a hellscape under the control of an omnicidal AI who has kept a handful of survivors alive to force them to race for its amusement in augmented cars with their own onboard AIs. The AI itself was an uploaded corrupted version of the wife of Professor Pending, the two of them ultimately responsible for everything in the series through a top-secret lab that experimented with fringe science, cloning and general fuckery. The Anthill Mob are a hivemind of clone soldiers with dwarfism, the Slag Brothers were thawed from an iceberg after the two of them tried to murder each other and were enhanced with brain modifications, Dastardly is a pianist virtuoso who lost his family in a nanite attack that he avoided due to how cowardice, Penelope Pittstop has a whole Greek heroine thing going on with a dark and tragic backstory involving abuse, Blubber Bear is a bear/man hybrid after he was mauled by a grizzly and rebuilt as a hybrid, the Red Baron is a hateful Nazi and Sgt. Blast is a trans woman now but that's, like, honestly the least notable thing about the series and it's not handled badly per se, she's just got a few lines that amount to "I'm trans".

Also everyone has ugly-rear end outfits, Dastardly especially because he's a cybergoth raver.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
As far as unnecessarily "edgy" reboots go, Wacky Races seems particularly egregious because, well, its name is Wacky Races.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I kind of want them to keep going with this and gently caress up everything that Hanna-Barbera did. What can they possibly do to El Kabong?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hostile V posted:

The world is a hellscape under the control of an omnicidal AI who has kept a handful of survivors alive to force them to race for its amusement

I Have No Tires And I Must Squeal

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Antivehicular posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even more disappointing because I remember seeing the Wacky Races reboot concept cars and not knowing there was anything more to it than "check out how these would have been drawn today" and I thought it was fun :( :( :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

:golfclap:

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Flintstones reboot by DC was Eisner nominated, IIRC. The line got a lot of hype for it. It also came out during DC Rebirth, which was a very successful comics relaunch that was written as a "I'm sorry" letter for the last 10 years of comics. But, the other series just couldn't compare. And DC slowly burned all of their goodwill as the same ol' suspects - Dan Dido, Jim Lee - began actively tearing down what people like Tomasi fought tooth-and-nail to build.

Oh, you liked Superman as a husband and father of a 10 year old in a small town? Too bad: Dan Dido doesn't like that Jon Kent is getting more people than Clark Kent so he had Bendis exile Jon then bring him back in a wholly unlikable form. You liked the Bat family in Detective comics and were looking forward to the Batman/Catwoman wedding? Too bad: Batman can't be happy so the marriage is canceled, Dan Dido had Dick Grasyon get shot in the head, get amnesia, call himself Rick, and become a dickhole, etc. You liked that we brought back the original Wall West? Too bad: we made him go crazy, kill a bunch of superheroes, then frame two heroes for it, then kill himself.

And, with the diminishing goodwill of DC from their own head editors being the same fuckwads they have always been, all of their comics started to see increased scrutiny and criticism. Most of it deserved, and only avoided previously due to customer euphoria causing people to ignore the flaws.

As Sal from comicpop put it nicely: "Marvel will do anything that sells, for better or for worse. DC will do anything that pleases a small group of men's ego, for better or for worse."

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 12, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

You liked the Bat family in Detective comics and were looking forward to the Batman/Catwoman wedding? Too bad: Batman can't be happy so the marriage is canceled, Dan Dido had Dick Grasyon get shot in the head, get amnesia, call himself Rick, and become a dickhole, etc.
I got back into DC after a 10-year absence for this.

Well, I tried.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

Dan Dido had Dick Grasyon get shot in the head, get amnesia, call himself Rick, and become a dickhole, etc.

No no, call himself Ric.

Also the entire "Batman Who Laughs" poo poo is just intolerable. So there's a dark multiverse made up of "failing" universes that are just too darn depressing to maintain themselves (how that jibes with the rest of the multiverse being genocide and misery 24/7 I have no idea), and some rando grabs a bunch of evil Batmen from these DARK UNIVERSES and their leader is a Joker Batman who wears steel BDSM gear and everyone literally refers to him out loud as "Batman Who Laughs" and just, wow, somehow it's even dumber than I'm making it sound.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Covok posted:

The Flintstones reboot by DC was Eisner nominated, IIRC. The line got a lot of hype for it. It also came out during DC Rebirth, which was a very successful comics relaunch that was written as a "I'm sorry" letter for the last 10 years of comics. But, the other series just couldn't compare. And DC slowly burned all of their goodwill as the same ol' suspects - Dan Dido, Jim Lee - began actively tearing down what people like Tomasi fought tooth-and-nail to build.

Oh, you liked Superman as a husband and father of a 10 year old in a small town? Too bad: Dan Dido doesn't like that Jon Kent is getting more people than Clark Kent so he had Bendis exile Jon then bring him back in a wholly unlikable form. You liked the Bat family in Detective comics and were looking forward to the Batman/Catwoman wedding? Too bad: Batman can't be happy so the marriage is canceled, Dan Dido had Dick Grasyon get shot in the head, get amnesia, call himself Rick, and become a dickhole, etc. You liked that we brought back the original Wall West? Too bad: we made him go crazy, kill a bunch of superheroes, then frame two heroes for it, then kill himself.

And, with the diminishing goodwill of DC from their own head editors being the same fuckwads they have always been, all of their comics started to see increased scrutiny and criticism. Most of it deserved, and only avoided previously due to customer euphoria causing people to ignore the flaws.

As Sal from comicpop put it nicely: "Marvel will do anything that sells, for better or for worse. DC will do anything that pleases a small group of men's ego, for better or for worse."

There's a reason I decided that pretending that DC went out of business sometime in the 90's was the best way to go

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anyone who still reads american cape comics is a masochist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

anyone who still reads american cape comics is a masochist

Aaron on Thor is still good.

Spencer on Spider-Man was a delightful surprise.

Ewing on Immortal Hulk is seminal.

Spider-Man: Life Story is awesome.

Cates on Venom is A-MAZE-ING.

Synder's Justice League is phenomenal.

There is still a lot to enjoy.

Fuego Fish posted:

No no, call himself Ric.

Also the entire "Batman Who Laughs" poo poo is just intolerable. So there's a dark multiverse made up of "failing" universes that are just too darn depressing to maintain themselves (how that jibes with the rest of the multiverse being genocide and misery 24/7 I have no idea), and some rando grabs a bunch of evil Batmen from these DARK UNIVERSES and their leader is a Joker Batman who wears steel BDSM gear and everyone literally refers to him out loud as "Batman Who Laughs" and just, wow, somehow it's even dumber than I'm making it sound.

Y-you just have to...ignore this.