Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Without games journalism preordering games will stop being a great idea. Trump! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Last time Game Journos tried to id software we got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mordja posted:

I mean, that Forbes dude isn't wrong, Bethesda's marketing continues to be some of the worst in the business but lol at Schreir's reply.

Jason usually isn’t wrong, though, up to and including this time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lol who even are you

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Has there ever been any talk of higher difficulties or something? Because all the gameplay footage I've seen is Walker tearing everyone to shreds while they stand still with the aim of a Stormtropper.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Has there ever been any talk of higher difficulties or something? Because all the gameplay footage I've seen is Walker tearing everyone to shreds while they stand still with the aim of a Stormtropper.

One guy who played multiple builds said all of them were locked to easy. I'd expect there will be an ULTRA-VIOLENCE equivalent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, dragging gaming press is good.

edit: lol Jason Schreier blocked me when I pointed out that the gaming media is not the real press (because its not) and that he needed to chill.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 11, 2019

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
btw in case anyone cares, Kotaku leaked Fallout 4 years ago and that's why Bethesda has been giving them (and anyone related to them) the middle finger ever since.

I dunno I just kind of see it as a "Let them fight" kind of situation.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 11, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

btw in case anyone cares, Kotaku leaked Fallout 4 years ago and that's why Bethesda has been kind of giving them (and anyone related to them) the middle finger ever since.

I dunno I just kind of see it as a "Let them fight" kind of situation.

I figured there was more to it that Jason Schreier was lying about or withholding. Kotaku likes to intentionally fight game developers, usually for no reason at all, and then they wonder why the big publishers don't trust them. He is acting like he is entitled to free video games and because Bethesda wont give them to him, that is literally the samething Trump is doing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I figured there was more to it that Jason Schreier was lying about or withholding. Kotaku likes to intentionally fight game developers, usually for no reason at all, and then they wonder why the big publishers don't trust them. He is acting like he is entitled to free video games and because Bethesda wont give them to him, that is literally the samething Trump is doing.

Did a game journalist kick your dog or something?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Paul Tassi has the easiest loving job on Earth. He plays Shooters for Forbes and complains about games-as-service games like Destiny and Anthem.

It’s the journalistic equivalent of getting paid to shoot fish in a barrel from the comfort of an air-conditioned office using a drone strike. Even when he makes a good point I am incensed that he feasibly makes rent doing this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Did a game journalist kick your dog or something?

Not at all, they are just super obnoxious and annoying people, and it's fun to mock them for it. They are not reporting on human right violations, they are being a mouthpiece for video games. What they do is insignificant and doesn't matter. Comparing Bethesda blacklisting Kotaku to Donald Trump's treatment of actual journalists, is offensive.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Not at all, they are just super obnoxious and annoying people, and it's fun to mock them for it. They are not reporting on human right violations, they are being a mouthpiece for video games. What they do is insignificant and doesn't matter. Comparing Bethesda blacklisting Kotaku to Donald Trump's treatment of actual journalists, is offensive.

I will be honest, I disagree with some of what you said, but I do not feel like making GBS threads up the thread about it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I said come in! posted:

uh-huh

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/05/over-150-riot-employees-walk-out-to-protest-forced-arbitration-and-sexist-culture/
https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/23/18507750/fortnite-work-crunch-epic-games
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/05/us-senator-introduces-bill-to-ban-loot-boxes-and-pay-to-win-microtransactions/
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/former-devs-speak-out-about-severe-crunch-at-mortal-kombat-studio/

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I'm not sure harder difficulties will be much more than bullet sponge health and maybe bullshit damage increase, and even that could be negated with weapons, upgrades and powers as far as we know.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Anyone know if they learned from the mistakes of Mad Max and the world doesn't depopulate once your character has every upgrade?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Most dungeons in Skyrim twisted back on themselves and gave the player a handy shortcut right back to the entrance (mostly via inaccessible doors or one way switches), didn't they?

Not sure how Just Cause handled things as I haven't played any of the recent games but hopefully they'll keep design philosophy similar to Mad Max and either give you a shortcut out the location or build things in such a way that you enter on on side and exit out another so you don't need to run back through an area you already cleared.

All of them did, skyrim dungeons are actually really well designed imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Donovan Trip posted:

lol who even are you

Solid burn

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sebmojo posted:

All of them did, skyrim dungeons are actually really well designed imo.

Those dwarf mines were a real pain

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

haldolium posted:

Those dwarf mines were a real pain

Oh, yeah fair point maybe not all then.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I shall play this game because it looks to be fun. But I second the notion that in the PR material it looks too easy and mindless. Gibbing hapless goons is fun for a time but then you want a challenge to not get bored. The biggest issue I had with the FarCry games was that once I had a good gun every enemy in the game became trivial so you just kind of went through the motions until the end

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I found DOOM ‘16 to be somewhat mindless without being easy. I would turn it on, I’d get made into chili while I got into my zone, and then before I knew it I was ripping and tearing like a figure skater in a slaughterhouse.

I imagine RAGE 2 will probably be more of that.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

preload just started, it's 31gig in download size

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
30gb of Andrew WK songs

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I shall play this game because it looks to be fun. But I second the notion that in the PR material it looks too easy and mindless. Gibbing hapless goons is fun for a time but then you want a challenge to not get bored. The biggest issue I had with the FarCry games was that once I had a good gun every enemy in the game became trivial so you just kind of went through the motions until the end

I could be totally wrong, but it seems like there's a shitton we haven't seen. We've been told about some of the enemies we'll fight, but we've only been shown a few mutants and goonsquad. I'm hoping they've actually kept a lot of content under wrap, previewers prior to review copies going out have seen at most the same 5 hours or less of game. Fingers crossed!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like they've got big plans for post-release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mordja posted:

Your image appears to be broken and I dunno why, so i re-upped it -

For clarity - anything with a black X next to it is a free update, the white X are paid DLCs.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wish games would just come out and be done, barring patches for bugs and poo poo. All this constant additional bullshit just makes me want to wait until its all out, as I rarely replay games and even less often keep playing the same one for months on end.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A lot of these are in game community challenges, which is something id has hinted with doom eternal as well. Personally I like seeing the timeline before release as opposed to an after thought to manage community expectations when the mp community is hemorrhaging

Edit: plus, this game is gonna spread by word of mouth, having lots of free content and ongoing stuff to keep people playing is smart. Nothing about this reads like unfinished game to me.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 11, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wish games would just come out and be done, barring patches for bugs and poo poo. All this constant additional bullshit just makes me want to wait until its all out, as I rarely replay games and even less often keep playing the same one for months on end.

Tbh the free stuff is mostly pretty minor (except for dat mech) and I doubt I'll engage much with it, but expansion packs have been a thing forever. :shrug:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Lets hope the post launch plans actually pan out and they support this longer than they did its predecessor. Still going to hold out picking this up until I see how people react - but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. For once.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I shall play this game because it looks to be fun. But I second the notion that in the PR material it looks too easy and mindless. Gibbing hapless goons is fun for a time but then you want a challenge to not get bored.

I'm not worried, DOOM 2016 looked the same cause the promo footage got shot on very easy being played by someone competent. THe actual game was perfectly capable of kicking your teeth in if you wanted it to.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I probably would have fun even if it was kinda easy but I do trust them to have decent difficulty if what we are hearing about "locked into easy" is true.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm not worried, DOOM 2016 looked the same cause the promo footage got shot on very easy being played by someone competent. THe actual game was perfectly capable of kicking your teeth in if you wanted it to.
Doom 2016 isn't difficult at all even on nightmare, but at the same time if you get sloppy or lazy it will totally kick your teeth in. It rewards skill and just having fun with it, which is something a lot of video games seem to miss these days in favor of rewarding people who pay up for the loot in $49 "micro-transactions".

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Here's a thing from the Steam Community page -

quote:

Launch Timing
Here is when you’ll be able to play the game depending on your platform and location. The game will unlock at different times depending on your territory:

AU, NZ, Asia: RAGE 2 will unlock at 11:01am ET on May 13
Rest of World: RAGE 2 will unlock at 8:00pm ET on May 13
North America: RAGE 2 will unlock at 12:01am ET on May 14

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most DLC is trash anyways, you won't miss much by not playing it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the best thing about Bethesda is that they're too big to be bought by Epic imo

I'm also stoked to see actual single player games without tacked on multiplayer bullshit coming back

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm, misunderstood.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mordja posted:

Rise of the Ghosts is included (once it's released of course) if you buy the Deluxe Edition, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Former Human posted:

Rise of the Ghosts is included (once it's released of course) if you buy the Deluxe Edition, right?

Yep. Not sure about the second dlc though.