Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Terrible switch game question: I bought machi-knight the other day because saints row 3 hadn't arrived yet and i wanted something basic to play - one of the loading screen hints said that enemies drop gear, especially bosses - but I'm right before the last area and not a single one ever has. You only seem to be able to buy gear with jewels, which are fairly easy to farm (and it doesn't look like there's iap to buy them, thank god) but the next set of gear is going to take some grinding and a half so I'd like to know if that hint was just a terrible translation, or if I just need to up the difficulty/be more patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Real hurthling! posted:

This turd console needs a shiren the wanderer game

Have you tried Tangledeep?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Incredibly, this is word for word what I like about FFXII. Different strokes, eh? :v:
I had a feeling someone would say this, which is why I added "for me" :shobon: My favorite thing in the world is job systems like FFV (or the best Final Fantasy game, Bravely Default) so I just can't help but compare it to that.

I wonder if FFXII is the most polarizing FF game, because as the posts ITT will attest it seems people either think it's one of the most amazing games ever, or the worst.

Real hurthling! posted:

This turd console needs a shiren the wanderer game
wikipedia tells me it's a Mystery Dungeon game and the Switch has Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon which at least some folks in here have recommended

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think 12 is a not very good game that isnt deep enough for what its battle system promises with a complete mess of a plot salvaged by being so easy and hands off that at 2x/4x speed its soothing to play.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would have liked FF12 if the gambit system had even the slightest amount of depth and they tuned encounters to take advantage of that.

As it is it was just tens of hours of reading the forums/watching YouTube while going through a billion :effort: battles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A proper Shiren game is different from anything else with the Mystery Dungeon moniker because they always dumb those down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How has nobody made a modern Tecmo Bowl ripoff with custom team creation and online matchmaking for Switch?

It’s not football, but super blood hockey has the same aesthetic, a franchise mode and multiplayer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After FFX, I found FFXI to be a huge letdown, because I was like 14 and didn’t have internet and neither did anyone I knew.

So when FFXII came out and my cool older friends were like “This is the best one!” and I ran to the video store and rented it and played for like 4 hours and I just hated every second of it.

Literally not one iota of footage has made FFXIII look fun or playable.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I quite liked the combat system of XIII but it was burdened by 20 hours of tutorial, being funneled through hallways with no proper towns most of the time, and a lead with excellent visual design but the personality of a rock.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

it's a trap!

Yikes I don’t think I have ever cleared my browser after reading about a game on Wikipedia, but here we are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

A proper Shiren game is different from anything else with the Mystery Dungeon moniker because they always dumb those down.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I would have liked FF12 if the gambit system had even the slightest amount of depth and they tuned encounters to take advantage of that.
yeah, that's kinda where I'm at. It's frustrating because the game feels like it's so close to being something I would enjoy the absolute heck out of

I remembered another thing I really disliked about the game though and that's chests. Rather than being a reward for exploring, they're respawning, randomly strewn around the maps and with random contents. That just felt very :effort: to me, since combing maps and finding treasure chests with cool stuff is such a basic RPG thing.

seconding Tangledeep then, if you want a roguelike

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Shiren is pretty much an actual roguelike with having to start over if you die, and such. (Barring one of the games where it wasn't.) Mystery Dungeon games typically change quite a bit to make that no longer the case.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I had a feeling someone would say this, which is why I added "for me" :shobon: My favorite thing in the world is job systems like FFV (or the best Final Fantasy game, Bravely Default) so I just can't help but compare it to that.

This right here is why you don't like it like FF12 having a job system might imply.

FF12's job system is more like Final Fantasy 1. It's not about mixing and matching all these combinations. Rather, the idea is to make a number of immutable decisions about your future options, weighing power versus versatility. Yes, Black Magic and White Magic aren't entirely exclusive to their jobs. But that's a choice: you can get a full White Magic caster in the White Mage, or you can get a small sampling in Knight or Monk, but it comes later, has less power and MP, and doesn't get every option. In exchange you get more durability, physical power, and other factors.

Trying to play FF12 like FFV or Tactics will be disappointing, as you've discovered. You've got to play it like FF1, and that is something that isn't for everyone.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I don't know if it's this way in the remaster but in the PS2 version of FF12 there was a late game chest that had the best weapon in the game, BUT only if you didn't open some random chests in early game areas. Otherwise it just had garbage.

There is no in-game warning for this, and there's nothing about those early chests to differentiate them as unique or special.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I don't know if it's this way in the remaster but in the PS2 version of FF12 there was a late game chest that had the best weapon in the game, BUT only if you didn't open some random chests in early game areas. Otherwise it just had garbage.

There is no in-game warning for this, and there's nothing about those early chests to differentiate them as unique or special.

From what I understand, that's a debug weapon the devs forgot to remove.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's also important to remember that the job system was kind of an afterthought. It pretty much only existed as an excuse to get people to rebuy the international version. It does mix up character builds a little bit and makes the license board more interesting, but not a great deal of thought went into it and it's not really a "real" job system.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

That got fixed in the international version

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

d3lness posted:

From what I understand, that's a debug weapon the devs forgot to remove.
Nah, it existed to sell guides

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Iirc they don't have this in the newest remake. Instead you have invisible chests that have a certain small percent chance to even spawn. And iirc a couple of the invisible chests also have randomized loot.

Not sure which is worse tbh.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Both are fine because who cares about some overpowered endgame weapons you never need for anything

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I find FFXII's Zodiac job system to be frustrating because I really wanted it to be like a FF5 or FFT, but it didn't feel very satisfying to me and I kind of wish they left the option to use the original license board. I'd rather have the ability to drag my 3 favorite characters around the entire game and build them to be perfect at everything I needed at my own pace rather than fumbling around license boards and swapping out different characters to use for different jobs. I played the PS2 version to about 100% completion back in the day and was so eager to try it again with the PC/PS4 release and dropped it after about 10-15 hours.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I find the characters and story mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris pretty charming actually and it upsets me that some goons apparently took one look and beep boop it's anime and bad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does PPT do much to teach strategy for either game beyond the basic rules? I'm okayish at novice Tetris but idk where to even begin for Puyo

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 11, 2019

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Lord Lambeth posted:

I find the characters and story mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris pretty charming actually and it upsets me that some goons apparently took one look and beep boop it's anime and bad.

What a wonderful thing to be upset about.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you're going to play FF12, just don't bother trying to get the Zodiac weapons.

Cool if you get some but they are so, crazy OP that it kinda ruins the game. You'll get loads of amazing stuff that'll let you faceroll the game.
Zodiac stuff is just obscene.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Does PPT do much to teach strategy for either game beyond the basic rules?

I wouldn't say so. But the campaign runs you through all the game modes and is the only way to unlock the characters, like the buff fish man.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Ciaphas posted:

Does PPT do much to teach strategy for either game beyond the basic rules? I'm okayish at novice Tetris but idk where to even begin for Puyo

Both just teach the very rudimentary aspects. You're better off watching youtube videos where they teach you the tactics.

Now, getting good at Puyo Puyo is another thing entirely and requires practice. But that's true with any game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dragon's Dogma newbies: it seems like the pawns you hire don't actually raise their levels ever.

I had a level 5 helpful lady and when one of my other pawns died (around level 33), helpful lady was still level 5.

So I favorited her and checked her in and hoped to check her back out but now she's level 90something and way out of my price range.

Oh well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pawn levels update when you hire them, they dont level in your party. so the fun is trading them in and trying a variety really

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hammer Bro. posted:

Dragon's Dogma newbies: it seems like the pawns you hire don't actually raise their levels ever.

I had a level 5 helpful lady and when one of my other pawns died (around level 33), helpful lady was still level 5.

So I favorited her and checked her in and hoped to check her back out but now she's level 90something and way out of my price range.

Oh well.

Yeah, man, just like they said, pawns are incapable of growth or learning.

What's that? Your pawn is growing and learning? Hmmm, how interesting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
if FF13 ever came to Switch, Square would require you to download 20+gb of CGI video

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

On that topic give me Metal Gear Rising: Revengance on Switch Konami

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wouldn't say so. But the campaign runs you through all the game modes and is the only way to unlock the characters, like the buff fish man.

There's also a cheat code

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All right Switch thread, I'm ready to try playing my first Final Fantasy game. Well, sort of--I've tried playing VII a few times on my Vita but just can't get into it because of... well, it's fug ugly.

So I've been looking at X and XII and I'm not sure which one to get. I watched a video that suggested that FFX is a good overall introduction to the franchise (and the fact that the Switch version comes with X-2 means it's a good value, though X-2 is apparently controversial?).

On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of grinding and unavoidable combat (which is why I've bounced off of pretty much every JRPG that isn't SMT or Chono Trigger). I also generally prefer open areas in games to straight linear ones, so XII is making a compelling case for me, since it seems like I can (and should) automate teammates and can have the game fast forward grindy bits. But apparently the story isn't engaging as it should be because the main character is just a whiny dude on the sidelines of the plot?

I know there's a decent chance I'm not gonna like either game, but I really do want to give FF a try because it's silly that I haven't played any games in one of the most notable video game series of all time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
X is probably the best introduction to the Final Fantasy franchise at this point. It has one of the stronger stories, a good amount of depth in its battle system, and one of the better-crafted worlds. That said, it can have kind of a slow pace, and it's pretty linear until the end-game. Meanwhile, XII is probably the most polarizing game in the series (and that's saying something!) in that people either really love it or really hate it. XII's gameplay will certainly be significantly breezier than X's, but they're pretty different beasts in general.

It really sounds like you'd have a better chance of enjoying XII more, though. Hell, it's possible you might enjoy X-2 a lot more than X since its gameplay has a significantly faster pace, so I would take a look at X-2 and factor that in since in a lot of ways it's the opposite of X and many say it has some of the best gameplay in the series.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
XII is a good introduction if you really like the sound of just straight up not doing anything for about sixty hours

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

asecondduck posted:

All right Switch thread, I'm ready to try playing my first Final Fantasy game. Well, sort of--I've tried playing VII a few times on my Vita but just can't get into it because of... well, it's fug ugly.

So I've been looking at X and XII and I'm not sure which one to get. I watched a video that suggested that FFX is a good overall introduction to the franchise (and the fact that the Switch version comes with X-2 means it's a good value, though X-2 is apparently controversial?).

On the other hand, I am not a huge fan of grinding and unavoidable combat (which is why I've bounced off of pretty much every JRPG that isn't SMT or Chono Trigger). I also generally prefer open areas in games to straight linear ones, so XII is making a compelling case for me, since it seems like I can (and should) automate teammates and can have the game fast forward grindy bits. But apparently the story isn't engaging as it should be because the main character is just a whiny dude on the sidelines of the plot?

I know there's a decent chance I'm not gonna like either game, but I really do want to give FF a try because it's silly that I haven't played any games in one of the most notable video game series of all time.

The only controversial thing about x-2 on the switch is the physical version has a one time code for it as dlc instead of including it on the cart. (Though the Japanese version does have it so importing that could be an option since it has English too)

FFX does have unavoidable random battles but I wouldn't personally call it grindy, but is unabashedly linear. The CTB system is my favorite combat system in the series however. X-2 is more open in that you can generally choose where you want to go at any time and uses the atb system.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

X is one of the four games in the series I’ve played through more than once, I attempted to play the PS2 release of XII twice in my life, years apart, and stopped cold at the same place both times

X is a little linear but there’s still stuff to explore, there’s a ton of side content and tough monsters if you find you like it, and the music is great.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

asecondduck posted:

If you want to play a Final Fantasy game and not immediately hate the franchise you probably want to start with any one of 4-6. If you’ve got a Vita you can snag Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Collection and have the definitive version of that game. FF6 is best played on a SNES Classic or anything that emulates the SNES.

FF5 is a little more complicated.

This list comes in real handy with the huge list of ports of all the classic FF games.

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/the-best-version-of-every-final-fantasy-game-04-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Honestly based on your criteria you might like FFXV the most gameplay wise if you have a console that can play that.