Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Why do we even have crit chance for ranged champs? +500 damage with a <1 second CD with no counter other than "don't get clicked on" is so bullshit

Zhonyas, randuins, armor in general?

Verviticus posted:

the idea that every individual ability in the game requires counterplay is bad as poo poo

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its extremely and very pointlessly limiting. champions with strong point and click abilities exist and have existed and the game is still good and those champions are still good

furthermore, those abilities are easier to use and league is one of the least approachable games in the world. limiting yourself to skillshot design makes it worse

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s boring like Mundos press button for health regen. Which is why they all need reworks. Not sure why they only can do one a year though.

mundos least interesting skill is his loving q by a thousand miles. weird, because its his only skillshot! give me pantheon and his q infinity times over vs loving 3 second cleaver spam

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 11, 2019

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I'm gonna vote Shyv or Voli.
Probably Shyv because I'd rather have a new weird Shyv and uninteresting blob Voli than current Shyv and new weird Voli,

Fiddles is the one I'd most like to see changed (most annoying to play against),
but I dont trust Riot to not just make him even more annoying. (Cf Akali, Irelia)

I agree that Mundo could use a minor update,
but of the 5 he's the only one I really enjoy playing in his current state.

Noct is fine as is IMO.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
The only change needed for fiddle is to delete all skins except Surprise Party

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its extremely and very pointlessly limiting. champions with strong point and click abilities exist and have existed and the game is still good and those champions are still good

furthermore, those abilities are easier to use and league is one of the least approachable games in the world. limiting yourself to skillshot design makes it worse

Alright, I think I see where you're going with this. In that case, let me ask you this:

Would blitzcrank be overpowered if his Q was a point-and-click ability? Why or why not?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Alright, I think I see where you're going with this. In that case, let me ask you this:

Would blitzcrank be overpowered if his Q was a point-and-click ability? Why or why not?

That's a silly question. "hey here's a champion who is balanced let's give him a massive buff and see what happens". But a universe is conceivable wherein a point-and-click Blitz Q does not make for an overpowered champion. Maybe it's a new type of projectile with an acquired target that can still be body-blocked. Maybe it moves literally 5 times slower. Maybe the range is short. This latest one is most likely, given the non-skillshot pulls we already have in the game (Singed, Voli, Thresh is halfway there with his almost instant-cast flay).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The systematic removal of point-and-click abilities is pretty lame in my opinion. It was one of the interesting things that differentiated characters and it's all a matter of taking the budget into account. Removing it weakens that, and I say this as someone whose most player champions have been Zyra, Cassiopeia and Syndra.

But to answer the question posed to Verv:

Umbreon posted:

Blitzcrank Q is an ability that does:
* Exposes your champion to danger (Small Negative)
* Removes control of the enemy champion (Plus)
* Displaces the enemy champion from distance, and puts it closer to your team (Huge Plus and defining characteristic)

The risk is:
* Costs a lot of Mana
* Anything can be targeted by it so you can miss easily
* Has a cooldown big enough which makes your champion useless until it's back

And given the kit, it's a champion-defining ability.

Now, funnily enough, there was an ability that fulfilled this:
* Displaces the enemy champion from distance, and puts it closer to your team

It was an Ultimate ability by Urgot. And because it did not have the downsides from Blitzcrank's Q, the following adjustments were made:
* Exposes BOTH champions to danger, for a longer period of time.
* Also displaces your champion towards, likely, the enemy team.
* Has an even larger cooldown

So yeah, being point-and-click is obviously a plus and as such is accounted in the budget of a skill. Asking if Blitzcrank's Q would be overpowered if it was point-and-click is a disingenuous question - it obviously would. The difference is that in a world where Blitzcrank's Q is point-and-click several adjustments would have to be made, just like if you made his Q have a 5 AP Bonus Ratio, or pass through minions, or reach twice the distance.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Gunder posted:

Is there a good recommended learning resource for people who have never really played League before? I have played about 640 hours of Dota 2, but never really League, so I'm familiar with a lot of the basic concepts, but not the stuff specific to League.

your best bet is to play some bot games and find a champ you like, then look up some videos about playing that champ and what roles they go in.

it's much easier to learn the game via one champ than to try to learn a bunch at once. so do some experimentation, decide on a champ, then let us know who you want to play and we can give some advice.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

because auto attacks do not have “counterplay” either so why are abilities suddenly evil for not being able to be dodged. it is just a design consideration. i will quote my post on twisting advance vs amumu bandage toss here however to explain how design considerations work, but first know that unit target abilities have one major limitation: they require line of sight. invis, brush, ducking around corners, all of these prevent unit target abilities.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

maokais twisted advance, for instance, works because it hits a single person. if there is nothing to target, the ability is useless. meaning: you can use fog of war to avoid it, and gimp maokais mobility, and his mobility is tied to his range to people so he can be effectively kited. whereas a skillshot twisting advance could be used to arbitrarily move forward, adding to general mobility; to say that if it was a skillshot it would be "more balanced" is wrong, because the balance and counterplay of the ability is explicitly tied to it being a unit target ability.

the idea that they are healthier is just riot games propaganda. direction targeted abilities have definitely defined league mechanically for the past few years, but they are not the only choice. karthus has his Q, which is interesting because it is point target on a delay, and his ult, which is interesting because it is on an insanely long cooldown and has a long channel time. neither of those would be better if they were skillshots.

pog boyfriend posted:

in other words, turn twisted advance into a very derivative version of amumu q? an ambitious idea, for sure, but then it would have to have an extremely fast projectile time due to twisted advance short range -- and at that point, why even bother? if you get the "skillshot" for just pointing your mouse in the general direction, how is that any different than a unit target? or should you increase the range of twisted advance?

E: and also, for that matter, turning twisted advance into a really fast direction target ability with the same range removes the ability to use fog of war and the brush to dodge twisted advance, making the ability slightly stronger.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
a world where-in I can't dash+flash behind my turret when a silver maokai is twisted advancing on me, because the ability has been turned into a skillshot, is not a world I want to live in gently caress you for giving me trauma like that

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

The only change needed for fiddle is to delete all skins except Surprise Party

While I will agree that Surprise Party is his best skin, fiddles has some amazing looking skins and sometimes you just want a good chill game instead of tilting the entire enemy team every time you Q.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TheAnomaly posted:

While I will agree that Surprise Party is his best skin, fiddles has some amazing looking skins and sometimes you just want a good chill game instead of tilting the entire enemy team every time you Q.

Fiddles' best skin is the one where he's wearing a t-shirt with a misprinted union flag.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mummy fid's back animation is a good bm

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
You guys basically just reiterated riots reasoning for systematically getting rid of point and click abilities, especially ones with CC. Said abilities are extremely strong and eat up huge amounts of a champs power budget, which drastically reduces the cool and fun stuff that can be done with the rest of their kit.

Y'all can argue about it and complain, but point and click cc and most ranged offensive point and click skills are on their way out regardless of your opinion on the matter, for the reasons listed above. Hell, I guarantee you if fid gets a rework, he's losing at least one point and click, if not more

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
As long as he still throws birds I'm OK with it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
To add skill expression, all point and click abilities will be similar to Lulu W or E so that you can gently caress up and miss your targeted CC and put it on a 16-second cooldown.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Fiddlesticks needs more crows. Every move should have a crow in it, and more crows should be added to the map. Crows.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Deleter posted:

Fiddlesticks needs more crows. Every move should have a crow in it, and more crows should be added to the map. Crows.

Do it like Swain where crows just gather on the walls wherever Fiddle is.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

Fiddlesticks, the Least Effective Scarecrow of All Time

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If there's a Fiddlesticks, Swain should not be able to summon tiny crows.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Umbreon posted:

You guys basically just reiterated riots reasoning for systematically getting rid of point and click abilities, especially ones with CC. Said abilities are extremely strong and eat up huge amounts of a champs power budget, which drastically reduces the cool and fun stuff that can be done with the rest of their kit.

Y'all can argue about it and complain, but point and click cc and most ranged offensive point and click skills are on their way out regardless of your opinion on the matter, for the reasons listed above. Hell, I guarantee you if fid gets a rework, he's losing at least one point and click, if not more

What makes "abilities" special? Why should Ryze's Q be turned into a skill-shot before Draven's or Jhin's autoattack? Or ohmygod-howcanIforget Ashe's autoattack, that one has CC on it!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Miftan posted:

If there's a Fiddlesticks, Swain should not be able to summon tiny crows.

He should deal .1% bonus damage to Swain

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Umbreon posted:

Having one strong point and click ability is loving fine if that one ability is fun. If you took away Fiddle's silence but left everything else the same he'd be perfectly fine unless you're a big baby.

If you took away Blitz knock-up and silence he'd still be fun because landing one grab would still give you a great feeling in your heart.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i would argue that pressing a button to watch master yi bolt away from you at lightspeed is very fun

Orv
May 4, 2011
Each character should have four skillshots, no CC, no heals, final destination.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Orv posted:

Each character should have four skillshots, no CC, no heals, final destination.

Foxfire Ahri ONLY

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

njsykora posted:

add a skarner mini-game but only when fiddle and swain are in the same game where they get points for adding/removing crows

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Umbreon posted:

pantheon has two abilities that are point and click and one of them is a stun and neither of them are so oppressively powerful that they make the rest of his kit not worth having or using

quote:

Y'all can argue about it and complain, but point and click cc and most ranged offensive point and click skills are on their way out regardless of your opinion on the matter, for the reasons listed above

yes, and its a bad thing, and the point of this thread is discussion. i appreciate you telling me that i can talk about league in this thread though i am forgetful

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 11, 2019

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
The problem with Fiddle isn't that he's point and click - it's that anytime his E doesn't absolutely suck rear end, it's extremely oppressive to lane against, particularly in a duolane. It doesn't operate like fuckin any other skill I can remember in how it bounces. Brand's R logic is way, way more consistent for example. It's the quintessential 'point and click ability' that sucks because not only do you not have the ability to outplay it (and cannot just not go into minion range because then you loving lose lane), you have no ability to anticipate when it's properly safe to advance either if Fids hasn't E'd.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

it prioritizes targets it hasnt hit and targets that are actively being drained and then i think its random. maybe make the initial missile speed slower so people have more time to get away from the minion pack?

anyways i cant really speak to playing against fiddlesticks as a support. hes fun to have or play against as a jungler, though, and they'd maybe just be better served by making him a better jungler and/or a worse support instead of reworking him

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 12, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Verviticus posted:

it prioritizes targets it hasnt hit and targets that are actively being drained and then i think its random. maybe make the initial missile speed slower so people have more time to get away from the minion pack?

anyways i cant really speak to playing against fiddlesticks as a support. hes fun to have or play against as a jungler, though, and they'd maybe just be better served by making him a better jungler and/or a worse support instead of reworking him

It’s very hard to do that naturally when Riot arguably do want Fiddle to be playable in more than one role.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Umbreon posted:

what kind of stupid argument is that. nobody is saying "riot is not going to remove the unit target abilities", we are saying it is a bad thing if they do that.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

what kind of stupid argument is that. nobody is saying "riot is not going to remove the unit target abilities", we are saying it is a bad thing if they do that.

That's a statement, not an argument. I'm saying why they have been doing it and why they are going to continue to do it even if you think it's bad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

amazing insight... glad we've got you here.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
This game would be unplayable garbage if everyone was ezreal. Targeted abilities and auto attacks are fine and there is a lot of skill expression in positioning, map awareness, teamfight awareness etc in champions that don't rely primarily on landing skillshots. Riot is only removing targeted abilities on champions that were tedious to deal with (old Shen Q, old Ryze everything, old irelia stun, etc.)

If salty assassin players want to play an FPS nobody is stopping them.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Honestly I think Amumu needs more of an update than anyone else on that list. Everyone else has at least a niche depending on items and meta, every now and then Mundo and Shyvana can pubstomp, Nocturne can make a good enough Jungle assassin despite being a suicide missile, Fiddles can always fall in and out of relevance, and Volibear is the worst on the list because he's just a Trick2G style gimmick and doesn't fit with ANY of the lore and has a weird kit, but Amumu is usually just the most basic, "skillshot, Ultimate, spam ability" champions still in the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RealFoxy posted:

Honestly I think Amumu needs more of an update than anyone else on that list. Everyone else has at least a niche depending on items and meta, every now and then Mundo and Shyvana can pubstomp, Nocturne can make a good enough Jungle assassin despite being a suicide missile, Fiddles can always fall in and out of relevance, and Volibear is the worst on the list because he's just a Trick2G style gimmick and doesn't fit with ANY of the lore and has a weird kit, but Amumu is usually just the most basic, "skillshot, Ultimate, spam ability" champions still in the game.

it's good for basic but effective champions to stick around, the mummy's had a healthy slightly positive winrate every time I've checked

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

amumu is perfectly fine you freaking bastard. how dare you. amumu is one of the more expressive champions in league of legends and has great build flexibility between full tank and full AP, who is easy to pick up but hard to master. there are so many small things in amumu play that skilled players can do to eke out extra power, using bandage toss as movement through the jungle opens up a lot of opportunities for the mummy, and managing his mana presents a real problem that constantly stays in your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t really care one way or the other about skillshots over click abilities. I think the mobility creep has been the most detrimental. It’s very hard to play someone without movement abilities unless they are overpowered. Every new champion has some mobility on them.