Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elchar posted:

Is it weird that I now can't wait for the last episode to come out just so I can keep reading this LP?

Sadly, it's a normal response. We are attracted to horrible things, especially when they aren't affecting us directly.

None of us will directly suffer through Reborn, but we all want OFS to do it so we can do it, indirectly. Sorry, OFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
God.

I've been trudging through this loving desert of a game for months, looking at the ever-changing thread title like it was a mirage of things to come, and the occasional Mawuh-shaped oasis. The dialogue just spinning in circles and circles. Pages upon pages of gang tag requests. Rage posts hot enough to feel the steam escaping their ears.
I took a good deal of amusement about the whole shitfest that was the design about the daycare center.
I finally made it, I made it through the 15,000 posts in this thread just in time to catch everyone at the end partying like new years, and all I can really say is: game bad. game oh so bad.

Can't wait to get frustrated at E19! Sheep, you're one hell of a trooper. :shepicide:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

OgretailFood posted:

OH. MY. loving. GOD.

I'm assuming that's all in-character.

Unless you just mean it's a bad character motivation, which it is, but I'm not gonna judge some teenagers in a RP as highly as someone making a semi-professional fangame.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Here's your drat worst character poll.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they're all the worst (except cain, shelly and a few of the other people who have all seeped into the fog of forgetfulness for me)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know the suicide lesbians are gonna be popular picks but I chose Lin because she's aggressively boring as an antagonist. I have no clue what her motivations are, she seems capable of deus ex machina bullshit, she always speaks in deep dumb metaphors, and is literally just so tryhard edgy it's just the worst. Why in the world does anyone follow her? How is she the real leader of Team Meteor? Why are people scared of her? She didn't kill Taka, she just taunted Tatania into doing it for her. She took arclight's eye and killed Ame but i should be cheering for that last one because Ame the character was loving useless as a league manager and her death actually led to the city getting better. She rides around on a hydreigon looking evil and that's it. loving Solaris is more evil than her, having a higher body count. Everyone on Meteor is terrified of her and it's never explained why.

She's dumb, she's not a good villian, she's the bad guy because we're told she's the bad guy and speaks bad. It's bad, i hate her, she's the worst character. and i'm sure we'll get to sit through a milliion more lines of cryptic bullshit deus ex metaphors when we finally encounter her for the last time. Except someone else will probably kill her because we're just a fridge.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I chose Radomus because he does a lot of lovely stuff other characters do but gets called out less over it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I went for Radomus as well as something about the way he acts is just so loving aggravating.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I had to pick Ame again because not only does she only exists to be killed to fulfill the author's fantasy of killing herself in fiction, she also literally employed known criminals and child abusers during her stint as league boss.
She empowered these known criminals and is basically responsible for all the bad things befalling Reborn city because of her inaction and lack of care for what her underlings are doing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Still voting for Ame, because Amethyst chose to include all these lovely characters in this lovely form so I'm blaming her self-insert for everyone else.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dias posted:

It's usually just whatever dumb poo poo pops into your head.

I have a Blaziken named Rotiseiryu and I'm kinda proud of the terrible leap of logic to get to that one.

Not Rotisuzaku? You should be ashamed.

Also I went with the crowd and voted for Titania (who is the current poll leader by a few votes) because she is just so bad for so long. Titania kind of has every Reborn character flaw, she's hateful, obnoxious, self-absorbed, arrogant, offensive, unsympathetic, self-righteous, cruel, has way to much bullshit edgelord dialogue, and is one of those NPCs that's allowed to do poo poo occasionally and reminds us how much of a refrigerator Raven is. The only Reborn character flaw Titania doesn't have is lewdness, which is an incredibly small mercy.

If I had more votes I'd definitely include Amaria and Lin in there, and Randomus for good measure because the fucker more than anyone is Reborn's answer to Kraden (SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU WITTERING HAT-OBSESSED MORON), but given only a single vote I'm going with the person I ended up hating longer than anyone. It's amazing to look back and realize Fern isn't even in my running anymore.

Oh and I seem to remember someone saying that Titania was Ame's favorite character and her de facto self-insert, so there's that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How come I can't vote for all of them?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know what needs to be a feature, a skip button cutscene, but what it does is make the protagonist burst out screaming shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTjKhYh4fs

And then gameplay just resumes dialogue, over.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Katana Zero has that button and it's glorious, you can just tell people "gently caress you" in the middle of their lines and their words literally shatter.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

megane posted:

Katana Zero has that button and it's glorious, you can just tell people "gently caress you" in the middle of their lines and their words literally shatter.

And then often you get to kill them afterwards. Win-Win.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Asura's Wrath also has a few of those prompts, although it generally involves punching rather than shouting. (There's enough shouting in the rest of the game to make up for it.)

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Thanks for the LP OFS, your commentary was hilarious and its always interesting to see truly awful games.

Also thank you for asking some of the questions i've had bouncing around my brain, although I don't have any answers other than that its probably the "real" Shelly who decided to character assassinate Bugsy.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I (jokingly) object to the poll on the grounds that Amaria and Titania have essentially no identity beyond each other and thus cannot be separated. But I suppose that would make it too easy. :v: I chose Titania for personal reasons (read: spite), but I still view them as a package deal.
...Okay, fine, Titania sort of has other people to play off of: Florinia, Hardy, Shelly in the Reshiram route. But only that last one has any remotely positive interactions. It also doesn't fix that Amaria's existence begins and ends (possibly literally) with Titania.

What's interesting to me is how different characters can be considered the worst by different criteria. Terrorism and child abuse ruin lives on a wide scale, but the game doesn't expect us to agree with the clearly-marked villains. What it expects us to agree and sympathize with the so-called heroes, whether it's the melodramatic caricatures of dead people or the characters who blame their relationship problems on the player. It results in the audience feeling resentful toward their supposed allies and not care about any of the struggles and trauma they go through. I'd argue that's an even worse writing failure than making edgy villains, although a boring villain is up there too.

My prediction is that all the other likeable or forgettable characters get thrown into the black hole garbage disposal too, because positive character development is not allowed, and the Elite Four fills with the only characters left in the world: Fern, Amaria, Radomus, and Titania. The Champion is Lin but you cannot win

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well this was an interesting week reading 382 pages of....this.

:wtc:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Black Robe posted:

A TWENTY MINUTE LONG CUTSCENE is not the easy way out of anything.

It's far easier than totally rewriting your terrible fangame at least.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Honestly, I’m split between Fern and Terra. Both of them have shitloads of problems in-story, don’t get me wrong, but there’s also the metatext behind why they’re written the way they are.

For Fern: I get that no one likes a sore loser, which it does sound like his player’s counterpart was in their in-house league. But turning him into a dickwad who mocked a guy who literally just killed himself in front of him, becoming a terrorist seemingly just because he’s jealous of the PC, and every other bit of shittiness his character has been responsible for since his second or third appearance? That just comes across as petty vindictiveness on Amethyst’s part.

Terra: More or less the same deal, but swap out “being an aggressive shithead” with “full-time monkey cheese randomness” that was deliberately written in the most obnoxious manner possible.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I accidentally voted Saphira instead of Amaria so I guess that says something about how easy it is to mix these characters together

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's appropriate that, even on a worst character poll, amaria and titania are stuck together forever

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Titania is an edgy jerkass who blames you for something you didn't do for hours on end, but Amaria tries to kill you for something you aren't responsible for. Not to mention all the manipulative subtext behind her fake amnesia.
She's easily the worst. Shoulda stayed down in the shitplant.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MR. J posted:

Titania is an edgy jerkass who blames you for something you didn't do for hours on end, but Amaria tries to kill you for something you aren't responsible for. Not to mention all the manipulative subtext behind her fake amnesia.
She's easily the worst. Shoulda stayed down in the shitplant.

Amaria is a worse person but Titania is just so unpleasant to be around even when she’s not talking about her relationship that I had to vote Titania.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I maintain that Amaria and titania deserve each other. Hell, maybe they'll end up killing each other and making the world a better place.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Count me in the "voted Ame" camp.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detheros posted:

That would have shattered the resolve of a lesser man so congrats for that .

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

And so the LP ends, not with a bang but with a to be continued sign.

Somehow the fates aligned to have Cracked mention this trainwreck on the day the LP finished.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I’m kinda suspicious that they took the pictures and gif straight from the LP

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, if you google Pokémon Reborn, this thread is on the first page, and probably the first hit that has commentary throughout the game. We're big time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m kinda suspicious that they took the pictures and gif straight from the LP

Yeah, especially the Medicham gif.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I really didn't expect Moemon, of all things, to top out that list.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Titania is an awful person and a worse character who shows up far too much. She's Amethyst's wish fulfillment character.

But Amaria's emotional manipulation and abuse make her terrible in a much more real way than any of the others. That's why she gets my vote.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm surprised kiki is so low on the list given how the game never really stopped telling you how great she was as she stopped you from saving children in not so mortal peril.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm surprised kiki is so low on the list given how the game never really stopped telling you how great she was as she stopped you from saving children in not so mortal peril.

Well, the children turned out to be quite annoying.

F14m3rz
Jul 23, 2018

I've obsessed over Pokemon Reborn so much, I have a color-coded 5,999-word document filled with quotes, pieces of lore, and my own findings of the game so far up to the end of E17.
From what I understand, Ame (the self-insert character) was someone that the fans begged her to include into the story. She didn't want her to be there, but she decided to do so anyways, while also making sure that she didn't contribute too much to the plot so that she doesn't become to egregious of a self-insert. And therein lies the problem.
Ame's a self-insert character who's not only in charge of the league and the Champion to boot, but she's also in charge of fixing decades worth of damage to the region, yet the only thing she accomplishes in the story is saving the player character's life during the train bombing (which wasn't even that clear until E17 when the intro got updated). She doesn't address ever-present issues like the league progression or the gym leaders' affiliations and psychological problems, so anything that a normal league head would do to fix things is never done. Thus, you've got gym leader terrorists, Elite Four terrorists, gym leaders / children in an abusive psych ward / orphanage, and nothing about the region itself ever gets fixed until the player character stumbles upon them by accident.
So to get rid of this utter trainwreck of a character, she defrosted Adrienne, had xem magically fix everything with the power of "pay it forward", then had the edgy antagonist's Hydreigon bite her head off her body. And that's why she enjoyed killing herself off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Detheros posted:

Pokemon Reborn: 382 Pages We’ll Never Get Back

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FoolyCharged posted:

Except for the black hole section where Ame inserts a bunch of nasty nihilistic thoughts into the mouth of a person who actually really did die.

It's almost as though no part of Kiki was any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Omnicrom posted:

Except for the black hole section where Ame inserts a bunch of nasty nihilistic thoughts into the mouth of a person who actually really did die.

It's almost as though no part of Kiki was any good.

It's almost as though no part of this game is any good.