Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I had a Circle of the Shepherd in my last campaign. I made him track all his doodads' HP, and they would always act on his turn, but we had an arrangement when it came to picking which creatures popped up. If he performed the casting requirements for a minute, he could choose. If he cast it with the normal time of one action, I'd choose. Sometimes I'd roll randomly, sometimes I'd pick something I hadn't seen before, sometimes I'd go with the boring-but-effective option to help push things through quickly. One rule remained constant: the fewer things he'd try to summon the more interesting creatures he got, cos holy cow sitting through a full wolf pack picking at one beefy enemy got tiresome. Effective, and I can't blame him for doing it sometimes, but it was nice to have an excuse to just give him a moderately sized dinosaur or two instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

RC Cola posted:

Any word on the new source book?

It's coming out on the 21st. Looks like mostly adventures and new naval combat rules.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/ghosts-saltmarsh

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I hate how Wizards did summoning spells this time around. It's either way overpowered if you choose, or down to the DM saying 'nah, you get the lame ones today because I hate summoning' if the DM wants you nerf you. I hate balance points that rely on the DM having to act as the bad guy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

KittyEmpress posted:

I hate how Wizards did summoning spells this time around. It's either way overpowered if you choose, or down to the DM saying 'nah, you get the lame ones today because I hate summoning' if the DM wants you nerf you. I hate balance points that rely on the DM having to act as the bad guy.
It's the thing I hate most in the whole book and caused numerous arguments. Conjure animals is currently "special" and all other summons/adds require concentration and gets you a single entity. My bard was pretty pissed he only gets one thing with "animate objects" and thus picked a different spell, so success or something.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Kaysette posted:

It's coming out on the 21st. Looks like mostly adventures and new naval combat rules.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/ghosts-saltmarsh

Reposting this but, a preview:

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1125965994470539264

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't really know anything about this edition and probably wasn't going to buy it but I was curious since the production values seem really good and I loved 4E. The second I got to the fighter I just had a big frown on my face. They literally just took everything from them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Swift Quiver uses concentration :v:

I'm not talking about Swift Quiver though. I'm just talking about laying down a battlefield control effect or something and spending your actions firing shots from a bow. It's not gonna be amazing because your dex is probably 14 or 16. But it'll contribute a lot more than Vicious Mockery will by the time you can fire off two attacks per turn on level 6. If you want to make use of Swift Quiver at 10 you can, but I don't even think that's particularly your best option. It's good offense for a valor bard, but I'd rather just take two more great spells. I'd probably get Find Greater Steed and then your choice of Counterspell, Raise Dead, Wall of Force, Rary's Telepathic Bond, or Animate Objects, depending on group needs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fsmhunk posted:

I didn't really know anything about this edition and probably wasn't going to buy it but I was curious since the production values seem really good and I loved 4E. The second I got to the fighter I just had a big frown on my face. They literally just took everything from them.

It was pretty much the biggest bone of contention out of everything when the early news started filtering out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Was the Sword Coast Legends bideo jame any good? I know there was a lot of carping about it but was that just threeaboos or was it actually bad?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Schadenboner posted:

Was the Sword Coast Legends bideo jame any good? I know there was a lot of carping about it but was that just threeaboos or was it actually bad?

It was apparently so bad that it disappeared. I never got around to buying it but I probably would have on a Steam sale.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Fsmhunk posted:

During the playtest, every update seemed to take something away from martial characters. I was a pretty big fan of the 4 Elements Monk, back when there were a whole series of cool, unique effects. Like, grab someone with a very-hard-to-break grab, inflict vulnerability to bludgeoning damage, then sent your fists on fire and attack with advantage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Schadenboner posted:

It was OK at best. But it was not system faithful and really lacked options. So it flopped hard and killed the company making it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think the advent of how overpowered Hexlock is makes me depressed because it means less Warlocks going Fiend, aka the class with the single best ability in the game, flavor-wise. Hurl Through Hell is just the best. It's not even bad either, the damage is pretty decent but the fact that it only requires a single attack to hit to remove a priority target from the fight for a turn is fantastic. Honestly all the Warlock level 14 abilities are great and and intensely flavorful in a way I wish other classes were... EXCEPT Hexlock. The ability is VERY good, but it's not nearly as flavorful and interesting as tossing someone through hell, making semi-permanent thralls or trapping someone in the Shadow Realm for a minute.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm not talking about Swift Quiver though. I'm just talking about laying down a battlefield control effect or something and spending your actions firing shots from a bow. It's not gonna be amazing because your dex is probably 14 or 16. But it'll contribute a lot more than Vicious Mockery will by the time you can fire off two attacks per turn on level 6.

Oh, that's what you mean.

And... well, it's an additional 1d8+MOD shot (because by comparison in this situation a Lore Bard would be using a Light Crossbow), so it does contribute a little bit, I suppose.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Any adventures that are designed for evil pc characters trying to take over the kingdom or something?

Pathfinder's Way of the Wicked is the comp I'm looking for, I gueas

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Schadenboner posted:

It was not a great Diablo game nor a great isometric RPG.

So basically it appealed to no one. I had fun with it though, to be honest. But I've enjoyed notoriously bad games before (TMNT: Out of the Shadows was a good game you fucks).

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any adventures that are designed for evil pc characters trying to take over the kingdom or something?

Pathfinder's Way of the Wicked is the comp I'm looking for, I gueas

Write one dude! That'd give players a great opportunity to play a whole different style of game, focused on skills and intrigue.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think the advent of how overpowered Hexlock is makes me depressed because it means less Warlocks going Fiend, aka the class with the single best ability in the game, flavor-wise. Hurl Through Hell is just the best. It's not even bad either, the damage is pretty decent but the fact that it only requires a single attack to hit to remove a priority target from the fight for a turn is fantastic. Honestly all the Warlock level 14 abilities are great and and intensely flavorful in a way I wish other classes were... EXCEPT Hexlock. The ability is VERY good, but it's not nearly as flavorful and interesting as tossing someone through hell, making semi-permanent thralls or trapping someone in the Shadow Realm for a minute.

I love my hexlock but I agree with this. I like how cool being a stabby fighty bloke who is also a wizard is.

The main problem is that warlocks need a bit of tinkering with, imo, to bring them up to parity with other casters. In my experience virtually no-one uses short rests because when you are at a table for 5+ hours you are all just trying to make it through to the next long rest.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Meanwhile a Vengeance Paladin is rolling 2d8+5 four sometimes five times per round (~56), and with all those rolls it's fairly high chances to get in crits for their two 3rd level spell slots throughout the encounter, plus the other smites they can apply at will.

You mean with haste? That's true, but it uses a spell slot AND so do the smites, which you need to spend on every attack. Spell slots are a limited resource and the autocrit lets you maximise the resource use. I should point out that my DM plays according to the book ie. there's 4-5 encounters between long rests. If we're not constrained by resources Vengeance paladins are utterly ridiculous in general.

Also, missing once when the stars align becomes less of a problem on a pally/assassin, you'll still get a helluva lot of damage with just one hit.

Really though, the best strat is to have your wizard Hold Person and murder the opponent :shrug:

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 11, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, of course. 11 is the watershed level for paladin with the improved smite. Yeah, that is a tasty ability. Didn't really consider it because level 11 is where we'll end up, so I'd get maybe one-two uses of this and I got way more mileage out of the rogue dip.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 11, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Josef bugman posted:

The main problem is that warlocks need a bit of tinkering with, imo, to bring them up to parity with other casters. In my experience virtually no-one uses short rests because when you are at a table for 5+ hours you are all just trying to make it through to the next long rest.

I think that the short rest / long rest balancing act is largely to blame for the class power disparities in 5e. The classes that lean heaviest on long rests are typically also the most powerful, because once they burn out they simply start lobbying for a reason to rest. And unless you're involved in a timed dungeon crawl there's rarely a good narrative reason not to take a long rest. If I were to do a redesign, I'd ensure a better distribution of short and long rest abilities so that all players were on the same page when it comes to recharging powers.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kaal posted:

I think that the short rest / long rest balancing act is largely to blame for the class power disparities in 5e. The classes that lean heaviest on long rests are typically also the most powerful, because once they burn out they simply start lobbying for a reason to rest. And unless you're involved in a timed dungeon crawl there's rarely a good narrative reason not to take a long rest. If I were to do a redesign, I'd ensure a better distribution of short and long rest abilities so that all players were on the same page when it comes to recharging powers.

My DM has a simple fix: you can only do one long rest every 24 hours. If you want to languish around after one encounter, that's perfectly fine, but you need to spend the extra 16 hours doing nothing, and you even have to roll for random encounters. There's also a (slow but real) ticking time clock.

All this combines to us doing the 3 shorts per 1 long as the game is expected to be balanced. My vengeance paladin gets to save the team usually once a day, but then has to be carried by the guys who do get stuff on short rests.

I think having a disparity is a cool thing. Warlocks are still really weird even with correct resting, though. They never run out of resources. And eldritch blast is absurd. It's very unbalanced imo.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
There'd be more short rests if some genius decided against making them an hour long. The kind of person who thinks Battle Master is overpowered is the exact kind of person that would say "There's no way you're resting for an hour in a goblin cave."

dex_sda posted:

I should point out that my DM plays according to the book ie. there's 4-5 encounters between long rests.

Wasn't the adventuring day based on, like, 8-10 encounters? Because if that's the case, your DM is giving way more power to full spellcasters. Or was that just a vicious rumor?

Edit: little of column a, little of b, I'm reading 6-8, but I haven't checked the book itself. But, even if that's the case, 4-5 is still a pretty sizable boost to long-rest classes.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 11, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Wasn't the adventuring day based on, like, 8-10 encounters? Because if that's the case, your DM is giving way more power to full spellcasters. Or was that just a vicious rumor?

Edit: little of column a, little of b, I'm reading 6-8, but I haven't checked the book itself. But, even if that's the case, 4-5 is still a pretty sizable boost to long-rest classes.

4-5 combat encounters, since we manage to social/puzzle out two or three each long rest. They still eat some resources, like Disguise Self/Pass Without Trace spell slots, HP on traps or other utility.

The game is calibrated (as much as this can be claimed for dnd 5e...) for 5-8 overall encounters, with 2-3 short rests each long rest. Difficulty of encounters also plays a part, of course

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 11, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I saw something that I couldn't figure out. Can someone explain the 5 attacks a round mentioned for the Paladin?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ryuujin posted:

I saw something that I couldn't figure out. Can someone explain the 5 attacks a round mentioned for the Paladin?

I think it's supposed to be four attacks? Extra Attack at level 5, plus Haste for a third as a Vengeance paladin, and then a Polearm Master attack on your bonus.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

dex_sda posted:

My DM has a simple fix: you can only do one long rest every 24 hours.

Is your DM Mike Mearls?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah I usually do long rests as 8 hours and short rests as 1-4, it kind of doesn't make sense to take more than one longer rest a day, even if it does disadvantage non-elves sometimes (since they only need 4 hours of sleep).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah you can only get the benefit of a long rest once every 24 hours is in the PHB.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The thing is it more doesn't make sense from the perspective of folks who might only be coming together once every couple of weeks/once a month. There is no reason to keep pissing about with it when you want to have a decent selection available when you do play.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

change my name posted:

Yeah I usually do long rests as 8 hours and short rests as 1-4, it kind of doesn't make sense to take more than one longer rest a day, even if it does disadvantage non-elves sometimes (since they only need 4 hours of sleep).

4 hour short rest what the gently caress

Do you know what "short" means

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just meant that anything longer than four hours is a long rest.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The thing is it more doesn't make sense from the perspective of folks who might only be coming together once every couple of weeks/once a month. There is no reason to keep pissing about with it when you want to have a decent selection available when you do play.

That's fine but I don't think dnd5e is the right game for that kinda group.

A huge part of the fun is trying to make things work despite lacking resources imo.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

dex_sda posted:

You mean with haste? That's true, but it uses a spell slot AND so do the smites, which you need to spend on every attack. Spell slots are a limited resource and the autocrit lets you maximise the resource use. I should point out that my DM plays according to the book ie. there's 4-5 encounters between long rests. If we're not constrained by resources Vengeance paladins are utterly ridiculous in general.

Also, missing once when the stars align becomes less of a problem on a pally/assassin, you'll still get a helluva lot of damage with just one hit.

Really though, the best strat is to have your wizard Hold Person and murder the opponent :shrug:

No, you don't need to spend the smites on every attack - you could if the goal is to nuke something, since a full Paladin would have more slots available than a Rogue dip, but yes it's best to save slots for crits. Fortunately for a PAM Paladin, crits come easy with plentiful attacks per round plus Vow of Enmity on short rests if appropriate.

The Paladin also has better round to round and thus overall damage, particularly on encounters where the Assassin MC doesn't get surprise. Even without Haste.

Ryuujin posted:

Extra Attack + Polearm Master bonus action + Haste + Polearm Master or Sentinel reaction

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gharbad the Weak posted:

There'd be more short rests if some genius decided against making them an hour long. The kind of person who thinks Battle Master is overpowered is the exact kind of person that would say "There's no way you're resting for an hour in a goblin cave."
An hour for a short rest is ludicrous even in a non-threatening situation. Okay, you got ambushed by assassins at the inn, but you beat them. Now, bandage your wounds and gather your arrows and do whatever adventurer chores are necessary... then sit quietly for 55 minutes on your nap mats catching your breath or whatever.

I house rule short rests to be 5 minutes without remorse, and I make the crunchy part of long rests 1 hour. You need to sleep for 4+ hours daily to not get fatigued, which doesn't count as your long rest, and then you have to do "adventurer activities" for an hour to gain your long rest benefits. The resource management minigame shouldn't be the most important part of D&D, and balancing encounters as if players had a full tank of gas at the beginning of every encounter makes for more fun and interesting gameplay. That means giving them rests/resets more often... 8-10 encounters in a day is ludicrous from an adventure pacing perspective and from a randomness perspective.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

dex_sda posted:

A huge part of the fun is trying to make things work despite lacking resources imo.

Hahahaha, oh man no.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dex_sda posted:

What??

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why did they attack them?

They openly read from the Tome of Strahd while resting in the giant tent in the camp, in front of Arrigal. I made it so they got ambushed in their sleep and Arrigal tried to make off with the tome, thinking it was of importance to Strahd. It turned into a chase scene where one of the players flew on their flying broomstick after Arrigal who was getting away on horseback.

I also increased the number of bandits in the camp to 23 + Kasimir since the players are all way above level. At this point I treat creatures that are this much weaker as minion trash, so they just slew everyone so quickly it didn't give the bandits much time to discuss things or run away, especially since it also coincided with the armored sabertooth tiger attack.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have any recommendations for a good solo adventure to run? My cousin is itching for more D&D so I offered to run some solo adventures for him with a new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Infinite Karma posted:

I house rule short rests to be 5 minutes without remorse, and I make the crunchy part of long rests 1 hour.

That's the DMG variant.