Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Warren’s ability to connect with voters she talks to on a personal level, to make voters feel she relates to them, and for her policies to also connect personally by weaving them through personal stories, is powerful. Politicians dream of hearing people talk like this.

quote:

“She feels like she’s one of us,” Stephanie Dicken, 50, of Denver, Iowa, said after Warren’s event. “She doesn’t feel like she’s a politician who has so much more information and her life is so completely different than mine. She feels like my neighbor.”

I struggle to think of other candidates who have this ability. I think Beto might. And I’m afraid Biden does. But besides that I’m drawing a blank.

This was also Bill Clinton’s ability. Which is why he came out of nowhere to win the presidency.

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/1126239118055354369?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"A two-term governor of a state that President Trump won by 20 points, this like weird creature from outerspace. A Democrat that wins in rural red America"

Wow that sounds useful. A Democrat who can win in Montana? He should run for president!

Hey, didn't Roy Cooper also win a Democratic state (North Carolina) on the same day? Not that it wasn't very impressive and he should have run for senate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Well yeah but have you considered he stumped for a pro-life mayor in Nebraska that one time :shrug:

Let's not forget that he was there with Tom Perez, stumping for that pro-life mayor together as part of the Democratic National Committee Unity Tour. I'm never going to forget that because it was utterly hilarious. Especially when Perez panicked at the unexpected backlash and announced the DNC would no longer support anti-abortion candidates, and then the conservaDem faction flipped out and he had to reverse himself and come back out to say that actually the DNC was fine with abortion opponents after all.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Biden is literally articulating a critique of the current campaign finance system in that clip!

He's got a weird rhetorical style where he impersonates the people he's making the argument against that makes him say stuff that sounds bad when you strip it of context (see also "Paul Ryan was right when he did the tax code"), but he's awful in so many ways that we don't need to pretend he's saying things he isn't.

"He's not really saying awful poo poo in this soundbite, he just has a speaking style that makes him seem like he's saying the opposite of what he means in soundbites" isn't really an encouraging defense of a presidential candidate.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Z. Autobahn posted:

This is good analysis of the polling failure in Michigan, but state-wide polling is notoriously much less reliable than national polling (see: 2016 general) and Michigan is considered the hardest state to poll. Like, while the Michigan polls definitely whiffed disastrously, plenty of other 2016 primary/general polls were much more reliable. Like I could just as easily point to plenty of states where the polling got it right? And even with whiffs like Michigan, they were still significantly more right than wrong.

Indiana and Michigan both went Bernie, unexpectedly. The way the polling was done began with 'centers of influence', and for Indiana, it regarded Indianapolis as the only 'center of influence.' Afterwards, it came out that 30-somethings from South Bend (a category that includes myself, Mayor Pete, and number of posters on this board, etc) favored bernie and were significantly influential in a way the polling didn't account for (since South Bend had been regarded as a 'dying city' the last tie 'round). South Bend also borders Michigan.

Just sayin'.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

He's got a weird rhetorical style where he impersonates the people he's making the argument against that makes him say stuff that sounds bad when you strip it of context (see also "Paul Ryan was right when he did the tax code"), but he's awful in so many ways that we don't need to pretend he's saying things he isn't.

But in the full clip Biden was agreeing with Paul Ryan that we need to cut social security and Medicare!

The context of the clip was critiquing Paul Ryan's tax cuts for requiring too deep of cuts yeah, but then he went on to say "look we gotta cut them regardless let's talk means testing"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is a really great point

https://twitter.com/davidklion/status/1126917014981873665?s=21

So many Dem voters are extremely fond of Obama (I still like him though my enthusiasm has waned a bit). And unfortunately getting dem voters to reject Biden night require making them think less of Obama. And that’s just an incredibly tall order.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

VitalSigns posted:

But in the full clip Biden was agreeing with Paul Ryan that we need to cut social security and Medicare!

The context of the clip was critiquing Paul Ryan's tax cuts for requiring too deep of cuts yeah, but then he went on to say "look we gotta cut them regardless let's talk means testing"

I'm also not clear on why it's laudatory for Biden to say that lobbyist money is "corrosive" and then run a campaign based on big money donations. The fact he can identify and acknowledge the problem actually makes his behaviour look worse not better.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Helsing posted:

I'm also not clear on why it's laudatory for Biden to say that lobbyist money is "corrosive" and then run a campaign based on big money donations. The fact he can identify and acknowledge the problem actually makes his behaviour look worse not better.

Of course, and I agree. But that's a honest critique of a behaviour, not an out of context clip that cuts out the next part that says "and that's why we need public financing."

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Uglycat posted:

Indiana and Michigan both went Bernie, unexpectedly. The way the polling was done began with 'centers of influence', and for Indiana, it regarded Indianapolis as the only 'center of influence.' Afterwards, it came out that 30-somethings from South Bend (a category that includes myself, Mayor Pete, and number of posters on this board, etc) favored bernie and were significantly influential in a way the polling didn't account for (since South Bend had been regarded as a 'dying city' the last tie 'round). South Bend also borders Michigan.

Just sayin'.

As someone who worked for Bernie in Michigan (canvassing in Pontiac and Detroit), it was also very much a situation where Hillary wanted to make it very clear that the state was won, so she had no ground game. The polls said she was going to win, so that's that. And she lost.

No lessons were learned.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1127212935556812800

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I know it's been said before, but if Biden gets the nomination, this country gets what it deserves.:ughh:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

To be fair to Biden, he's saying that's why we need electoral reform to get big money out of politics.

To be honest about Biden, he also holds big donor events hosted by ultra wealthy union busters. I'm sure he has an explanation for how he is somehow immune to what he calls this corrosive effect that is inherent to human nature.

I also hate his repeated "they're not bad people" that he prefaces EVERY statement about bad people with.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I also hate his repeated "they're not bad people" that he prefaces EVERY statement about bad people with.

It can't be doing him any favors. I don't remember Hillary having to apologize this much for bad people, she wisely just didn't bring them up.

(I know that clip is from 2008, but he did the "they're not bad people" bit recently too with regard to Wall Street bankers and CEOs)

ETA

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1127233805063000064

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 11, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

WampaLord posted:

It can't be doing him any favors. I don't remember Hillary having to apologize this much for bad people, she wisely just didn't bring them up.

(I know that clip is from 2008, but he did the "they're not bad people" bit recently too with regard to Wall Street bankers and CEOs)

So far the list of actually bad people according to Biden begins and ends with Trump. Everyone else is just a powerless victim of circumstance. The Republicans and their wealthy backers giving Trump a rubber stamp on 95% of his policies and a 90% approval rating are just poor fools being taken for a ride by supervillain Trump and his mind control powers.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

theblackw0lf posted:

So many Dem voters are extremely fond of Obama (I still like him though my enthusiasm has waned a bit). And unfortunately getting dem voters to reject Biden night require making them think less of Obama. And that’s just an incredibly tall order.

So many Dem voters think the US is a force for good in the world, even under Trump. The thing about tall orders is that it just means the work is that much more important.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just look at all the Democrat's supporting "helping" Venezuela.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Radish posted:

Just look at all the Democrat's supporting "helping" Venezuela.

Remember that time when we invaded and it really benefited the country? You know, like in Ira... no, wait Vietn... no, uh, maybe Afghan... ok well how about our efforts in Liby... hmm. I know, Somalia! *aid rushes over and whispers in my ear* Oh... oh I see.

Well the NATO intervention in the Balkans went alright? Sort of?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't see why that's the case. Obama isn't popular because people think he's a perfect person who never made mistakes. He's popular because people like him in spite of his mistakes.

It seems like a novel take, but ultimately, that tweet is just another spin on "people like Obama, therefore they'll like Biden because he stood next to Obama a lot".

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I think a lot of the love for Obama is motivated by yearning for a national political leader worth supporting rather than support for anything he actually accomplished once in office.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I think the "here's a million lovely things from Biden's past" is a weak tactic because voters have consistently shown they really don't care about what candidates did in their past, because voters generally have a baseline that politicians are frequently shifty and change their views. Like, it works at getting people who already hate Biden more mad at him, but I don't think it changes anyone's mind because "well that was in the past" is a shockingly compelling argument.

The good news is that Biden is saying a whole lot of dumb poo poo *in the present* and we can keep hammering him on that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Helsing posted:

I think a lot of the love for Obama is motivated by yearning for a national political leader worth supporting rather than support for anything he actually accomplished once in office.

He also is genuinely one of the best presidents of the last 50 years, but only because his competition is Clinton and Carter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For being America's first black President Obama sure did nothing to completely eradicate the for profit prison complex and instead side with the Clinton letting Hillary run Kissinger over the middle east, bail out the banks for them, and established powers that be. Maybe at least make show and propose fixing the 13th amendment?

Amendment XIII
Section 1.
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

This is pretty clear.

It's not like "oh so you think Democrats are doing a bad job, are you saying the man endorsing them, Obama the Great, is bad too?? Hmmmm???" was much help to Democratic candidates in 2010, 2014, and 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gatts posted:

For being America's first black President Obama sure did nothing to completely eradicate the for profit prison complex and instead side with the Clinton letting Hilary run Kissinger over the middle east, bail out the banks for them, and established powers that be. Maybe at least make show and propose fixing the 13th amendment?

Amendment XIII
Section 1.
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2.
Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Points 1 and 2 are true but to be fair the bank bailout happened under Dubbya

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

fool_of_sound posted:

It did? My bad then.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gatts posted:

It did? My bad then.

Yup, auto bailout was Obama. Bank bailout was one of the last things dubbya did.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It passed under W, but (a) Obama voted for it and stumped for it in the Senate, and (b) the Obama administration took over only a few months after it was signed and administered most of the program. The bill gave him a huge amount of latitude, and he used it to call in all the bank managers who expected to go to prison for their heinous crimes and told them "don't worry I'll give you all the money and protect you from justice while you steal everyone's homes and hey don't hesitate to blow the entire US treasury on hookers and coke the party doesn't have to end here just invite me to billionaire island when this is all over k"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

He also is genuinely one of the best presidents of the last 50 years, but only because his competition is Clinton and Carter.

If we're measuring presidents in part by the opportunities they squandered then Obama seems worse than either of them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Z. Autobahn posted:

I think the "here's a million lovely things from Biden's past" is a weak tactic because voters have consistently shown they really don't care about what candidates did in their past, because voters generally have a baseline that politicians are frequently shifty and change their views. Like, it works at getting people who already hate Biden more mad at him, but I don't think it changes anyone's mind because "well that was in the past" is a shockingly compelling argument.

The good news is that Biden is saying a whole lot of dumb poo poo *in the present* and we can keep hammering him on that.

You can keep bringing up both so that it can be hammered into their dipshit heads that Biden Bad. Always Bad. Always will be Bad. Attack him from every side, let the republicans also waste time burning him so maybe the establishment drops him this time to throw trump through a loop. Scorch the earth so that Biden never bothers to come back into politics and just sucks some CEO's dick at a convention for the rest of his wretched lobbist life.

Hell, the reason why grandpa creeper on the blue team keeps making GBS threads the bed vocally is because they keep insulting him and like Hillary, he gets offended at how you dare criticize him or the rich. He just is more open to gaffes than Hillary ever was. So step on his old white ego as much as it takes.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The important thing that I think a lot of Democrats will feel really squeamish about is that if you want policy attacks to stick then they have to simultaneously be character attacks. None of this "Biden did a bad thing but he's an alright chap" stuff. It's gotta be "Biden is a sex creep pro-credit card monster who wants you to die poor". Not a lot of space for nuance here, though nuance doesn't matter as much when the accusations you're making are actually true.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Helsing posted:

If we're measuring presidents in part by the opportunities they squandered then Obama seems worse than either of them.

Yeah the argument could definitely be made, but on the other hand Clinton was really atrocious

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
This is interesting re: the claims about Biden's support being generational. Biden is competitive with Bernie for young black voters.

Which leaves me wondering what Bernie's actual core constituency is at this point?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LinYutang posted:

Which leaves me wondering what Bernie's actual core constituency is at this point?

The left?

Is this really that hard to figure out? His core constituency are Dems who consider themselves "leftists" or "progressives" or "socialists" or whatever term you want to use to describe the left of the party, and they happen to occupy all demographic groups, but they obviously skew younger overall.

Also that chart is literally during his announcement bump, let's wait a bit before we start making proclamations about stuff like "Bernie no longer has a core constituency"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seeing the same people latch onto every flavor of the month and declare that Harris Beto Buttigieg Biden is inevitable just look at this one poll, is hilarious and never gets old.

It's a good thing it never gets old because they are going to keep doing it every month and never ever apply any introspection to their failed prediction from the last x months.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Helsing posted:

It's not hurt that he's sandwiched between the two worst Presidents in living memory. Obama is both an idealized normalcy and the return to an idealized normalcy in one Presidency.

People aren't thirsting for drone deaths, attempts to come to a grand bargain, and a war on whistle blowing. They want the greatest national scandal to be the President wearing a tan suit, a cool and calm dude at the wheel, and a feeling of positivity. The actual reality isn't relevant, that's what the general voter took away from the Obama years.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1127327782227279873

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VitalSigns posted:

Seeing the same people latch onto every flavor of the month and declare that Harris Beto Buttigieg Biden is inevitable just look at this one poll, is hilarious and never gets old.

It's a good thing it never gets old because they are going to keep doing it every month and never ever apply any introspection to their failed prediction from the last x months.

The core difference being Biden is a boy Hillary down to his bones, on top of pandering to the boomers and republicans that just wanna pretend everything can be okay again if a poo poo dem is president. The silver lining being Biden can gently caress himself out of being picked if he keeps opening his mouth and becomes boring.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Insallah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

Except Biden was always ahead, and not by "oh look, Jeb! 15% is technically number one" levels, but by real numbers.
All these not-Biden flavor of the months never broke 3rd