Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

ElGroucho posted:

Rural America should just die already

I'm all for that as long as I get to see Portland/Austin/Brooklyn burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Only after we completely redo our government from the ground up to not over-represent empty land. The Senate is already insanely anti-democratic, just wait until every poor person in the country is dead or gone; it'll be 80% controlled by 15% of the country's population that consists of rich old white men

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the only thing that mypillow ad is missing is a trumpy bear

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WaryWarren posted:

joey gibson is that you?????

Serf
May 5, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

some of it, sure. (although in the sense that we should abandon the rural areas and move the population into smaller, denser areas where we can more easily meet their needs to scale back for the climate apocalypse i totally agree)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

WaryWarren posted:

relocate everyone that moved to the East Bay in the past 3 years back to San Jose/SF/Palo Alto and then set that ablaze as well

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

every single redemption story for these fundie chuds is a huge lie, massively and obviously embellished because they know it'll never be questioned

it's how you get people claiming they had AIDS and were born without a uterus but once they found God they were cured and were able to get pregnant

nobody gives a poo poo about somebody who grew up comfy and never had and real struggles but felt like they were hitting a wall in their career that could be broken through by joining the CEO's church

Oh like this guy you mean

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I like firm pillows...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:same:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

marktheando posted:

ya exactly who I was thinking of lol

this is pretty normal, fundies literally live in their own carefully crafted world, they're some of the most ultimate reactionaries the world has ever created because they'd rather the world be destroyed than a single thing in their worldview be altered

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

marktheando posted:

HIV drugs = sex reassignment drugs

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

WaryWarren posted:

Do people have this odd idea that Brooklyn is wall to wall Williamsburg?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

marktheando posted:

Man, I wish I believed in hell so I could rest easy knowing assholes like this are going there.

Who still falls for this horseshit in loving 2019? People pack stadiums. It really speaks to our collective desperation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I wish I believed in hell so I could rest easy knowing assholes like this are going there.

Who still falls for this horseshit in loving 2019? People pack stadiums. It really speaks to our collective desperation.

It's entertainment. There was a doc I watched a while back about a family of carnies who switched to running tent revivals without changing the nuts and bolts of their operation. Backstage, they were remarkably frank about how much bullshit they trucked in and assumed their audiences mostly just pretended to believe because it was a nice story.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah the thing that never seems to click with most people is that logic or truth was never valued. Only narrative. People act clever like 'how is it protecting loves to arrest women for miscarriages??'
They just say whatever to fuel the narrative that they know what is best for women. Which is, in their opinion, disenfranchisement (through felony.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's entertainment. There was a doc I watched a while back about a family of carnies who switched to running tent revivals without changing the nuts and bolts of their operation. Backstage, they were remarkably frank about how much bullshit they trucked in and assumed their audiences mostly just pretended to believe because it was a nice story.

Not entirely. Not at all really.

It's a con designed to bilk people out of their money, sure, but there's also a lot of people that have bought into the "Jesus will heal me" nonsense who are likely broke, alone and entirely out of options that are completely taken advantage of by leer jet flying people of God who fleece old ladies out of their social security checks by selling salvation and "miracles".

Suggesting it's "only entertainment" implies that 95% of the audience is in on the joke, the overall work and the sheer spectacle of the thing, WWE style. I think this scummy bullshit is far, FAR different and that your comparison is largely invalid. I sincerely doubt that people who pack these arenas expecting to get a drug high off the power of Christ are doing so because they think they're attending a circus or a magic show. Or that the ones buying "Magical Spring Healing Water" that's straight out of a garden hose off of christian TV shows that air on cable at 2am are doing it to be ironic.

It's also a little like saying that Rush Limbaugh is "just an entertainer" when he's raking in millions spewing easily disproven bullshit every day that absolutely effects the way people think and vote and that also helps shape the entire GOP platform, along with lending legitimacy to something as demonstrably stupid and idiotic as faith healers.

I am not entertained is what I'm saying.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Propaganda is entertainment (and most entertainment propaganda)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Propaganda is entertainment (and most entertainment propaganda)

Deep.

So...everything I find entertaining is propaganda and everything that's clearly propaganda is just entertainment then? Or is everything entertainment and also propaganda?

WTF are you saying exactly?

There is zero basis for a clear cut comparison to be made between something like what WWE is, where everyone is in on the act, and assholes claiming to be Men Of God that can cure cancer and routinely take grandma's SS check by selling tap water for 12 dollars a bottle in the name of Christ. Or are you saying that it's all just degenerated into one big TV show?

Because I've enjoyed several films, books and TV shows over the years, several of which have entertained me a great deal, and somehow still see a clear cut difference here. Can you elaborate? Maybe start with something simple, like how liking Batman Begins bled me out of my retirement money and influenced me voting for Bernie Sanders, hoping I could cure my arthritis?

I've seen Prince in concert 5 times and was highly entertained. I didn't buy my ticket with the promise of going to heaven.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Grape posted:

Absolutely. Even Williamsburg isn’t wall to wall the Williamsburg they imagine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

There’s an old documentary about Marjoe Gortner of Starcrash fame that lays out the tent revival operation extremely clearly. All the operators know exactly what they’re doing and have contempt for the crowds they bring in.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
People weren't in on the act of the WWE until like the 80s and 90s

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Most people knew wrestling was staged as far back as the 1860s.

Edit:

MassRafTer posted:

Matches have been worked for 150 years. Wrestling was banned in the 1860s in Paris for predetermined matches. People would regularly accuse matches of being frauds through the rest of the 19th century. It was widely known to be worked by the 30s, and was obvious visually as the style changed during that time and there were public double crosses.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Didn’t two wrestlers get in trouble with the owner because they drove to an event together and their characters were supposed to be enemies? What an absurd phenomenon. It must have been hard for the performers not to have enormous contempt for the audience.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Didn’t two wrestlers get in trouble with the owner because they drove to an event together and their characters were supposed to be enemies? What an absurd phenomenon. It must have been hard for the performers not to have enormous contempt for the audience.

That's happened several times. One story that always amuses me though I forget who it was. One wrestler (a good guy) had his friend over (a bad guy) for dinner with his family. They were feuding on TV at the time; a neighbor came over for a visit and found them eating dinner together so the wrestlers started arguing and "fighting" to keep the storyline up.

Kayfabe has been completely dead for at least 20 years but in the 80s and early 90s it was still kind of important to the wrestlers.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I can't imagine looking at WWE wrestling and thinking...yep that's real.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm saying people listen to Rush or skull Shaun or whoever to pass the time. It's entertaining to the because it reinforces that they people they don't like are bad.

They want to be told good things will happen to them if they are a member of the tribe and that's what they pay for at that prophet show.

It seems odd that listening to a guy rant on the radio about how everything is going to poo poo is "fun." Well it isn't actually fun. But people get caught in negative feedback loops. It's the same as 4chan or any garbage corner of the internet. The entertainment is having their feelings validated, even if those feelings are negative

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

An insane mind posted:

WWE wrestling became real when WWE Hall of Famer Donald Trump became president.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

An insane mind posted:

Maybe this would change your mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVWfu0Lg9g

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The ones making money are in on it. The ones giving money are not in on it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

An insane mind posted:

You and John Stossel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm not saying I don't deserve it, but that's harsh :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Even back in the day John Stossel was the dumbest man alive.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
canot believe the sporting event that hosted fred from fred the movie for a match is fake

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Grape posted:

nobody likes the coastal elites and brooklyn is trendier than soho

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

nobody likes the coastal elites and brooklyn is trendier than soho

Ah yes, the man to man coastal elites of Brooklyn.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I feel so loving elite right now. I'm about to lose my job and lose my healthcare, I'm elite as gently caress.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

is it apocryphal that trump called after vince's limo blew up back in the day thinking his friend died or did that actually happen?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

is it apocryphal that trump called after vince's limo blew up back in the day thinking his friend died or did that actually happen?

Trump is dumb.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

TontoCorazon posted:

I feel so loving elite right now. I'm about to lose my job and lose my healthcare, I'm elite as gently caress.

I'm wondering if my job that I'm technically doing as a temp (and being grossly underpaid on because) is actually heading toward becoming real, or if I'm being strung along to be dumped on the curb in a month when the school year ends.
Wonder what basic job security must feel like.

Love being coastal elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

1. it's absolutely, completely true
2. lol asking if something dumb about tormap is true in 2019