Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
My reason for getting the USB-GDROM was because they’re more readily available. Granted the GDEMU clones appear to be OK, but I don’t want to be in a situation where I have a problem and I get told to screw off because I didn’t buy what I should have.

Anyways, the USB-GDROM works exactly as I expect it to and I’m happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

8-bit Miniboss posted:

My reason for getting the USB-GDROM was because they’re more readily available. Granted the GDEMU clones appear to be OK, but I don’t want to be in a situation where I have a problem and I get told to screw off because I didn’t buy what I should have.

Anyways, the USB-GDROM works exactly as I expect it to and I’m happy with it.

Did you do the power supply mod?

If so, how much of a pain was it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Annath posted:

Did you do the power supply mod?

If so, how much of a pain was it?

I did. Not hard since I have a pretty decent solder sucker. Voltage regulator came out with no issue. The surface mount resistor was just a little more difficult but with a chisel edge soldering iron, it was fine.

I also did the fan mod, battery replacement with new holder and have a 3D printed housing that I bought from eBay to replace the original GD drive housing to keep the airflow proper.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I did. Not hard since I have a pretty decent solder sucker. Voltage regulator came out with no issue. The surface mount resistor was just a little more difficult but with a chisel edge soldering iron, it was fine.

I also did the fan mod, battery replacement with new holder and have a 3D printed housing that I bought from eBay to replace the original GD drive housing to keep the airflow proper.

Do you have a link to the 3D printed housing and the fan mod?

I figure I might as well go whole hog.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Annath posted:

Do you have a link to the 3D printed housing and the fan mod?

I figure I might as well go whole hog.

I bought them both from the same person: https://www.ebay.com/usr/collingall2005?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They don't have the housing up currently, but I guess keep an eye out when they put them up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreamcast-...&orig_cvip=true

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 11, 2019

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I bought them both from the same person: https://www.ebay.com/usr/collingall2005?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They don't have the housing up currently, but I guess keep an eye out when they put them up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dreamcast-...&orig_cvip=true

https://laserbear.net/shop?olsPage=products

I got the 3D printed part by sending the stl to a printing service, but I got the wire from here so I didn't have to solder one. He's got other stuff too.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Annath posted:

E: Dammit, my copy of Fatal Fury from ebay arrived, and it has some dumb sticker on the label that's damaged the actual cart label. Does anyone sell replacement cart labels?

Use lighter fluid to dissolve the adhesive without dissolving the paper or the ink.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Turbinosamente posted:

Well they did have a couple real awful films in between there, so I imagine people are not as willing to write them blank checks for movies anymore. Jupiter Ascending was not well received iirc and people were quite divided over Cloud Atlas too. Speed Racer does remain as one of my better thrift store DVD purchases though, those visuals were incredible.

Speed Racer wasn’t well received either.

Their production house did a ton of CG work for other films. From what I gathered they shut it down because the costs were getting too high to run it and they were looking to do fewer projects going forward. They didn’t want to take every garbage bid and wear all their talent out. Hollywood CG houses are turning into sweatshops now, overworked and for the bare minimum. 20-25 years ago the costs were a lot higher and there were finite shops out there. Now you can do it for a couple thousand bucks and under 10 people so there is a ton of options. Studios and filmmakers also think because it is CG then you can make last minute changes quick and easy.

I know a couple of people that have left working in film CG entirely from burn out in the last couple of years. One of them went into video games and says the environment is better than the film industry, which is saying something.

I look to seeing that industry becoming unionized in the next couple of years. It is starting to look inevitable, but I have been saying that about the game industry for 20 years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The story of the Wachowskis is strange because The Matrix was their only profitable film and they coasted on that goodwill for box office failure after failure. But drat, none of their work is boring and they all become cult hits practically overnight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm having a fuckin' terrible time burning Sega CD discs.
I'm using these discs and a 16x minimum burner. Burning with ImgBurn.
I started with uncompressed bin/cues, got my first three things running perfectly, but nothing since. Then tried converting iso/mp3 ones to cue/raw/wav as per the biggest youtube tutorials, but no dice.
Some things would stay on the Sonic trademark screen, but I'd be able to hear the game continuing behind it.
13 drink coasters made so far. Any ideas?

The consoles are a Mega SG and a JP Mega CD2 (with region free bios from the SG)

edit: The second go at one of the raw/wav ones just worked. Guess I shouldn't just give up if a burn doesn't work, but the unreliability ain't fun.
Are these sucky discs?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 11, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They might be bad quality discs. I've certainly had my share of coasters from random supermarket CD's like Verbatim. After I bought Taiyo Yuden discs I rarely had troubles anymore. TDK has also been good. But I also burn at 4x usually so that might contribute too? As well as the Sega CD laser quality.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar9WRwCiSr0

:stare:

e: seriously loving click this video and stick with it, you'll poo poo bricks at what this mad genius has done

That is some straight up witchcraft

Also on a different tangent, while at this point I have relatively minimal interest in collecting anything for the pre-N64 Nintendo consoles unless I find a hell of a deal since emulation is near perfect for them outside of the issues relating to Light Gun games, there's something oddly appealing about the idea of maybe collecting stuff for Sega's systems(besides Saturn that is), I think at least part of which is that the various accessories and add-ons for their systems feel more essential to the experience than it does over on Nintendo's side, thus more appeal to actually get the physical stuff rather than just emulating everything, at least once I find employment again and have more in the way of free money for such a thing

Which leads to one of the first major questions I have, for a Sega Genesis, between the model one and model two, which do you guys recommend?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drrockso20 posted:

Which leads to one of the first major questions I have, for a Sega Genesis, between the model one and model two, which do you guys recommend?

I like the model one for almost no explicit reason other than it's very good looking.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Djarum posted:

One of them went into video games and says the environment is better than the film industry, which is saying something.

drat. I knew the working environments in those CG farms were bad, but not that bad.

drrockso20 posted:

The model 1 doesn't have the half dozen board revisions of the model 2 which means you always know you're getting the best audio chip. Also, it's a model 1 and just look at it!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know you said you didn't want to emulate, but if you don't have a rad crt setup, consider the Mega SG, which is a crazy accurate clone that has 1080P HDMI out and accepts the Sega CD, comes with a Master System adapter and lets you play Game Gear files if you semi-officially crack it. No 32X yet, unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCQ6kN9Ie0

e: One plus it has over real hardware is that you can chose to crop out the coloured overscan borders that show up on flat panels.

I don't know if you can do that with most upscalers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 11, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Are they shipping regularly now? I ended up cancelling my order for finical reasons at the time when it was backorder for about a month around release.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Bad week for N64 stuff for me. I bought a console with a controller and expansion pak last week. The joystick is loose (expected) so I bought a replacement controller where the seller said the joystick was "tight" -- it wasn't (surprise!).

Kicked off a return for the controller. Now I finally have a chance to sit down and try out the N64, and glad I did as the drat thing doesn't display video. The seller said it was tested and has a 100% rating too. I tried a few other consoles with composite and have no issues, so it's not my TV.

Reached out for a return on that too. Maybe this is just a sign I don't need an N64 in my life right now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bank posted:

Bad week for N64 stuff for me. I bought a console with a controller and expansion pak last week. The joystick is loose (expected) so I bought a replacement controller where the seller said the joystick was "tight" -- it wasn't (surprise!).

Kicked off a return for the controller. Now I finally have a chance to sit down and try out the N64, and glad I did as the drat thing doesn't display video. The seller said it was tested and has a 100% rating too. I tried a few other consoles with composite and have no issues, so it's not my TV.

Reached out for a return on that too. Maybe this is just a sign I don't need an N64 in my life right now.

Is it a CRT or an HDTV? I've heard some HDTVs don't like the N64's output, it might be worth trying on a different TV just to be sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bank posted:

Maybe this is just a sign I don't need an N64 in my life right now.

:catstare:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

drat. I knew the working environments in those CG farms were bad, but not that bad.

To quote him “At least I get a couple weeks off now every couple of years.”

He is in his early 30s and looks 15 years older. It is depressing.

Sadly there just isn’t a ton of options if that is your profession; video games or CG and both industries treat their talent like poo poo.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

Is it a CRT or an HDTV? I've heard some HDTVs don't like the N64's output, it might be worth trying on a different TV just to be sure.

HDTV. I tried reseating the video cables a few times (they seem a bit too tight), but will try some isopropyl alcohol on the cartridges and expansion pak to see if that helps.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I popped in Wario Land 2 and realized that I had been playing it. It's just I was playing it simultaneously with Wario Land 3 on my 3DS and I had scrambled everything in my head.

i don't know how the Wario Land games are all so good except the one that Treasure made. That's a series that deserves more love than it gets.

Bank posted:

Are you getting audio but not video? If you're getting neither, 90% of the time on N64's this is due to the expansion pak coming loose. If you have audio then there's something more serious happening.

And speaking of N64 stuff, with Wario Land eliminated I tried to play Chameleon Twist instead. Would it be a hidden gem or the N64's answer to Glover?

Well, at three stages in I give up. There's a kernel of a good idea in Chameleon Twist but the implementation everywhere makes it unplayable. Here's the big game mechanic: you're a robot (not a chameleon) who has a giant tongue that extends and you can steer. Enemies stick to the tongue and get slurped up to be spat out as ammunition in one rapid fire shot. If the tongue touches a pole, you can pull yourself into the pole or the tongue can become rigid and you can spin yourself around on it. So far so good. You can build a neat game out of those basics.

Problem number one: the controls are terrible. The tongue moves fast and the slightest motion of the stick causes it to flick off in wild directions. But let's say you touch a pole, you have a tenth of a second to push in a direction for the rotation direction and then hit jump to start spinning. Did the high quality N64 stick bounce back? Well, you're rotating the wrong way then! Did you not have lightning fast reflexes for when you connected to the target you couldn't see? Well, now your rotation is coming up short.

Second, the camera is a disaster. You know how bad the camera is in N64 and PS1 games? Turn that up a couple of notches. The game regularly requires finding things that are only spottable with the most careful of camera manipulation and then having to interact with them while they're off screen. And there's the early 3D perspective problems where you can't be sure exactly where you're aiming or jumping to even though it requires precision. If it's this annoying before the game gets "tough" then I don't want to go on.

Then the environments themselves are boring. Get ready for a lot of empty boxes as rooms! There's the obligatory late 90's collectathon items but not many of them and not even in interesting places. If you don't go after the items, then there's barely anything happening in the game. If you do go after them, then you get to deal with more of the control and camera problems.

So, it seems like there was a very good reason that I hadn't heart of Chameleon Twist.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Bank posted:

HDTV. I tried reseating the video cables a few times (they seem a bit too tight), but will try some isopropyl alcohol on the cartridges and expansion pak to see if that helps.

You might need to find a CRT to test it on. My HDTV accepts SNES composite just fine, but won't recognize the signal from the N64 at all except momentarily for certain games that switch to higher res for things like menus/company logos or whatever. I ended up getting a Retrotink for that purpose.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Bank posted:

https://n64today.com/2017/05/14/n64-wont-connect-to-tv/

I haven't run into it myself, but there are some TVs that just won't work with it without an upscaler. If you can try it on another TV - preferably a CRT - that might show if your TV is incompatible with the N64's video output or if it's just a bad console.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know you said you didn't want to emulate, but if you don't have a rad crt setup, consider the Mega SG, which is a crazy accurate clone that has 1080P HDMI out and accepts the Sega CD, comes with a Master System adapter and lets you play Game Gear files if you semi-officially crack it. No 32X yet, unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCQ6kN9Ie0

e: One plus it has over real hardware is that you can chose to crop out the coloured overscan borders that show up on flat panels.

I don't know if you can do that with most upscalers.

I didn't say I wasn't interested in emulation at all, just that there feels like more of a point to collecting the physical systems with Sega than with Nintendo

Also that looks neat, shame about the lack of 32x compatibility(even if the 32x is admittedly kinda jank and only has a relative handful of good games compared to the other two segments of the Genesis library)

TVs Ian posted:

Shame there isn't an easy HDMI solution for the N64 like there is for the PS2 and Wii to my knowledge

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

TeaJay posted:

TDK has also been good.

TDK's no good anymore. Just rebranded CMCs (not the high-end ones).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

I didn't say I wasn't interested in emulation at all, just that there feels like more of a point to collecting the physical systems with Sega than with Nintendo

Also that looks neat, shame about the lack of 32x compatibility(even if the 32x is admittedly kinda jank and only has a relative handful of good games compared to the other two segments of the Genesis library)

Shame there isn't an easy HDMI solution for the N64 like there is for the PS2 and Wii to my knowledge

What is the easy ps2 hdmi solution?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

There's the UltraHDMI but yeah, not exactly easy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the easy ps2 hdmi solution?

There's this dongle you can plug in the AV cord slot on the PS2 that you can then plug a standard HDMI chord into, almost exactly the same sort of thing I have for my Wii as well, which is why I'm surprised there isn't an N64 version out yet

TVs Ian posted:

There's the UltraHDMI but yeah, not exactly easy.

Exactly

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drrockso20 posted:

There's this dongle you can plug in the AV cord slot on the PS2 that you can then plug a standard HDMI chord into, almost exactly the same sort of thing I have for my Wii as well, which is why I'm surprised there isn't an N64 version out yet

I've never seen anything like this before--have a link handy? I'd be interested in getting one.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think those hdmi dongles for the Wii are just component to hdmi transcoders. I’ve never personally seen one for PS2 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it exists since the PS2 outputs native component video.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of I finally got a component cable for my PS2 and it’s like night and day on my old rear end HDTV

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Speaking of I finally got a component cable for my PS2 and it’s like night and day on my old rear end HDTV

Component looks great on the PS2 except when you try to play PSX games or the handful of PS2 games that run in 240p.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So upon doing further research it appears for a Genesis that the best choice for the console itself is an early production Model 1(with the High Definition label), while for the Sega CD it's best to go with the model 2(though you need an extension piece for a Model 1 Genesis to sit on it properly) as it's easier to fix than the first version or most of the variants that combine the two consoles into a single unit like the CDX or X'EYE

As for the 32x, well they only made one version of that to my knowledge, so nothing to worry about there*

*actually that makes me wonder something, considering all the clones we've gotten of the Genesis over the years, kinda surprised no one has tried to make one that has all the add-ons built into it at once, also kinda surprising in retrospect that as far as I'm aware that Sega(or a third party) never did an adaptor for playing Game Gear games on the Genesis

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
There are 32x revisions, but to my knowledge they only have to do with the size of the cartridge slot. One fits Japanese games better than the other iirc.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

drrockso20 posted:

also kinda surprising in retrospect that as far as I'm aware that Sega(or a third party) never did an adaptor for playing Game Gear games on the Genesis

Not possible without hacking the games. The Game Gear has an expanded color pallette that isn't backwards compatible.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

*actually that makes me wonder something, considering all the clones we've gotten of the Genesis over the years, kinda surprised no one has tried to make one that has all the add-ons built into it at once, also kinda surprising in retrospect that as far as I'm aware that Sega(or a third party) never did an adaptor for playing Game Gear games on the Genesis
Sega CD ROMs are hundreds of times the size of regular Genesis ROMs and there’s very few good 32X games, so I’m not surprised myself considering how little effort are put toward most of those clones.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

drrockso20 posted:

So upon doing further research it appears for a Genesis that the best choice for the console itself is an early production Model 1(with the High Definition label), while for the Sega CD it's best to go with the model 2(though you need an extension piece for a Model 1 Genesis to sit on it properly) as it's easier to fix than the first version or most of the variants that combine the two consoles into a single unit like the CDX or X'EYE

As for the 32x, well they only made one version of that to my knowledge, so nothing to worry about there*

You don’t actually need the little extender piece for the sega cd base if you use a model 1 genesis on a model 2 sega cd. It’s just for aesthetics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

falz posted:

There are 32x revisions, but to my knowledge they only have to do with the size of the cartridge slot. One fits Japanese games better than the other iirc.

Good to know

azurite posted:

Not possible without hacking the games. The Game Gear has an expanded color pallette that isn't backwards compatible.

Didn't know that

Laslow posted:

Sega CD ROMs are hundreds of times the size of regular Genesis ROMs and there’s very few good 32X games, so I’m not surprised myself considering how little effort are put toward most of those clones.

True it would be more of an effort than the usual clones get, would be one hell of a centerpiece if done correctly though, even have the perfect name for such a beast if it were to be made, the Sega Revelation

GutBomb posted:

You don’t actually need the little extender piece for the sega cd base if you use a model 1 genesis on a model 2 sega cd. It’s just for aesthetics.

True

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Component looks great on the PS2 except when you try to play PSX games or the handful of PS2 games that run in 240p.

I ran into this problem when I picked up my used plasma tv, but I got lucky and my stereo receiver outputs the component signal over the hdmi as well which the tv handles just fine