Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Is it worth the watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_6UYOekuM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Basically CIG has monetized (as many others) FOMO. New concept ships come with Life Time Insurance (LTI) which backers love and pay good money for. But, once the ships are sold again they are supposed not to come with LTI because that's a perk for the gallant backers who bought it as a concept. At the same time ships after a few years get reworked and become Harder/Better/Faster/Stronger which obviously guarantees a price hike.

So what is the savvy ship connoisseur to do? Well you buy a new cheap ship with LTI in its concept sale, and then buy a Cross Chassis Upgrade (CCU) that allows you to exchange your cheap ship with a more expensive one while keeping its LTI. If the expensive ship then becomes more expensive some day it's no problem because you already have your CCU which you bought for "cheap". You saved big bucks !

Their concept ships sales are based on "buy now or miss LTI and this great price!" but for the marks that don't bite at that point they have the backup CCU plan to hook them up.

I hope this crawls along so I can experience the first time somebody loses their $1000+ ship and didn't have LTI and CIG says oh so sorry for your loss.

The most exciting part of Star Citizen is hoping it comes to fruition enough for people to experience the joy of how horribly CR actually designed everything. All these hopes and dreams of people being the best pilot where you are Han Solo living in a fully populated Mega-Eve game full of twitch style combat. And the assets cost real money and they die super fast. :allears:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

rePool posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Is it worth the watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_6UYOekuM

Basically says Anthem sucks and SC sucks because of feature creep.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

:ohdear: get well soon pgabz

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1127064563365453825

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1127047842407886848

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

LMAO, this guy does not apear to have both oars in the water.

That is one seriously embarrassing tweet.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

what the gently caress does this even mean?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Inkel posted:

Delusions of grandeur, that's about it really.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

He's spite pledging $1000 every time "a troll" sends him a message? :lol:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

One more SC live attempt.

* So the bounty missions send you to these spawn points in the middle of nowhere, and there will be like 15 random NPC ships in the area, all just kind of milling around shooting at each other, and also you. For some reason the actual target NPC is completely un-targetable. He's there, you can see him, but you can't lock him until he's shot you at least a few times to register as an 'Enemy.' I got into a fight in one of these areas and probably spent 3 minutes just unloading into the guy. They do basic maneuvers now but seem completely helpless in any kind of fight.

* Eventually I killed the single fighter, amazing! And then my ship just kind of... shut off? I don't know if it was overheat or what but all controls stopped responding and I just started drifting. About 60 seconds later it came back and was fine.

* Then I tried to fly to a station, but cruise control is nearly unusable. I couldn't change directions fast enough to avoid flying directly into an asteroid and exploding.

* The game is more unplayable than ever. Controls are like someone dropped a flight sim keyboard map into a neural network and used the random generation as their new scheme. Y exits your chair. 3 targets enemies. N deploys your landing gear. On top of the incomprehensible controls, the actual UI is as broken as ever. Not one aspect of it has been fixed. Go to the first page of this thread- it still looks exactly like that, except worse, because now half the models do not load when you target them so they're just collections of random guns pivoting around.

* Add to that the new overheating system. You will overheat constantly. You will never know why. The UI screens are tiny, and overloaded with graphs and bar charts, and none of it is ever explained. Your ship will just sometimes stop working and that's how it is.

* The new flight model sucks poo poo for space combat. We already knew that but it's really something to behold when you try to use it. You have to cut your max-thrust to about 10% of total just so that a random strafe key won't send you rocketing outside the max range of your guns in half a second.

* Missiles are still completely broken. Even the targeting animation is broken. Sometimes they fire now but I've never seen one do the slightest bit of damage.

* The mission system is a loving mess. There are 3 combat missions. Kill these 3 satellites, kill a guy and get his box, or kill a guy. At any time the game will spawn about 30 of these missions, and it's all just those 3 repeated over and over. The game literally spawns the guys- hence the random furballs in deep space as mentioned in my first point- and if someone else kills them, or an NPC kills them, you get no money. Hope you can get there fast! Also, half the time the game doesn't give you a waypoint for about 2 minutes after you accept the mission. Payouts are still hosed, combat now pays seven or eight thousand compared to two or three for delivery missions, none of that is enough to be worth doing vs. just running drug cargo.

* The store consoles were all broken so I literally couldn't even buy guns or ammo for ground missions.

* Doing the mission gave me a "Crime rating" because I guess the missions are criminal even though the guy shot me first? Anyway the 1-star crime rating caused multiple enemy "Security" ships to spawn and come after me everywhere I went, even after death.

-------------------------
In Conclusion:

Everything about this game is a terrible mess. It is full of broken systems and utterly baffling designs. It feels like 3 different games were developed in parallel and then jammed together, and none of them are finished. I have a newfound respect for Rexzilla. If you came to me tomorrow and put a gun to my head, and told me to record 30 minutes of compelling Star Citizen gameplay without bugs in it, I would reach up and pull the trigger myself to save us both some time. The second you do anything other than fly in a straight line you will encounter serious problems.

This game will never be finished. No game based on this foundation will ever be finished. It is trash. It makes Big Rigs Over The Road Racing look like a well considered release. Bad Rats is quality on a level that Chris Roberts could never hope to match. If you gave Chris Roberts 50 million dollars and told him to make Flappy Bird, he would come back to you five years later with a notebook full of high school anime drawings with all the pages stuck together, and expect you to thank him for it. He has anti-talent. Chris Roberts isn't allowed to go to actual gaming conventions anymore because other developers fear that if he touches them they will mutually annihilate in a shower of light and alpha radiation. He isn't allowed within 500 feet of a school because authorities are afraid of what might happen if the next generation tried to learn something from him. His wife was not trying to strangle him, she was sent back in time to prevent the release of this game. We need to all pray that she succeeds.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inkel posted:

It means he is slaying trolls by blocking them on Twitter as far as I can tell.
It's the like these guys owning a rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Troll Toll is Chris Roberts dick in the Troll Hole

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

What about Conor Paaarpwel and its the normal DSA autistic guy except he loves star citizen.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

It means he is slaying trolls by blocking them on Twitter as far as I can tell.
It's the like these guys owning a rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

I don't go on Twitter so I don't know what the culture is, is it normal to claim you've defeated someone when you just refuse to engage with them?

If so I have defeated the entire twitterverse

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't go on Twitter so I don't know what the culture is, is it normal to claim you've defeated someone when you just refuse to engage with them?

If so I have defeated the entire twitterverse

Usually on Twitter it is customary to prove in as few words as possible what a colossal knob you are, so he's on point there.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

The Chad Jihad posted:

It sucks that SQ42 is never coming out because wandering around inside a battleship between missions talking with my digital friends is something I've always wanted

COD:IW?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Unreal 2 :negative:

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

It works for Derek :shrug:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Did someone say troll toll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhAEmODyzw

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The Fast and the FUDious.

Paul Backer

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Quavers posted:

so if I create 20 troll accounts, he'll spend 20 grand?

Deal if true!

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Inkel posted:

The logged out family-friendly text around here is so much better.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

* So the bounty missions send you to these spawn points in the middle of nowhere, and there will be like 15 random NPC ships in the area, all just kind of milling around shooting at each other, and also you. For some reason the actual target NPC is completely un-targetable. He's there, you can see him, but you can't lock him until he's shot you at least a few times to register as an 'Enemy.' I got into a fight in one of these areas and probably spent 3 minutes just unloading into the guy. They do basic maneuvers now but seem completely helpless in any kind of fight.

* Eventually I killed the single fighter, amazing! And then my ship just kind of... shut off? I don't know if it was overheat or what but all controls stopped responding and I just started drifting. About 60 seconds later it came back and was fine.

* Then I tried to fly to a station, but cruise control is nearly unusable. I couldn't change directions fast enough to avoid flying directly into an asteroid and exploding.

* The game is more unplayable than ever. Controls are like someone dropped a flight sim keyboard map into a neural network and used the random generation as their new scheme. Y exits your chair. 3 targets enemies. N deploys your landing gear. On top of the incomprehensible controls, the actual UI is as broken as ever. Not one aspect of it has been fixed. Go to the first page of this thread- it still looks exactly like that, except worse, because now half the models do not load when you target them so they're just collections of random guns pivoting around.

* Add to that the new overheating system. You will overheat constantly. You will never know why. The UI screens are tiny, and overloaded with graphs and bar charts, and none of it is ever explained. Your ship will just sometimes stop working and that's how it is.

* The new flight model sucks poo poo for space combat. We already knew that but it's really something to behold when you try to use it. You have to cut your max-thrust to about 10% of total just so that a random strafe key won't send you rocketing outside the max range of your guns in half a second.

* Missiles are still completely broken. Even the targeting animation is broken. Sometimes they fire now but I've never seen one do the slightest bit of damage.

* The mission system is a loving mess. There are 3 combat missions. Kill these 3 satellites, kill a guy and get his box, or kill a guy. At any time the game will spawn about 30 of these missions, and it's all just those 3 repeated over and over. The game literally spawns the guys- hence the random furballs in deep space as mentioned in my first point- and if someone else kills them, or an NPC kills them, you get no money. Hope you can get there fast! Also, half the time the game doesn't give you a waypoint for about 2 minutes after you accept the mission. Payouts are still hosed, combat now pays seven or eight thousand compared to two or three for delivery missions, none of that is enough to be worth doing vs. just running drug cargo.

* The store consoles were all broken so I literally couldn't even buy guns or ammo for ground missions.

* Doing the mission gave me a "Crime rating" because I guess the missions are criminal even though the guy shot me first? Anyway the 1-star crime rating caused multiple enemy "Security" ships to spawn and come after me everywhere I went, even after death.

-------------------------
In Conclusion:

Everything about this game is a terrible mess. It is full of broken systems and utterly baffling designs. It feels like 3 different games were developed in parallel and then jammed together, and none of them are finished. I have a newfound respect for Rexzilla. If you came to me tomorrow and put a gun to my head, and told me to record 30 minutes of compelling Star Citizen gameplay without bugs in it, I would reach up and pull the trigger myself to save us both some time. The second you do anything other than fly in a straight line you will encounter serious problems.

This game will never be finished. No game based on this foundation will ever be finished. It is trash. It makes Big Rigs Over The Road Racing look like a well considered release. Bad Rats is quality on a level that Chris Roberts could never hope to match. If you gave Chris Roberts 50 million dollars and told him to make Flappy Bird, he would come back to you five years later with a notebook full of high school anime drawings with all the pages stuck together, and expect you to thank him for it. He has anti-talent. Chris Roberts isn't allowed to go to actual gaming conventions anymore because other developers fear that if he touches them they will mutually annihilate in a shower of light and alpha radiation. He isn't allowed within 500 feet of a school because authorities are afraid of what might happen if the next generation tried to learn something from him. His wife was not trying to strangle him, she was sent back in time to prevent the release of this game. We need to all pray that she succeeds.

That was pretty much my experience during this latest free fly. But I didn't try to do a mission because the chat was full of people going on about how broken they are. All I did was attempt to fly to ArcCorp from Ollisar, and it took 6 hours and 7 attempts. I keep thinking I'm crazy and maybe there's something to Star Citizen that I'm missing that would encourage so much faith in its future. But every time I play I just see a dumpster fire coming apart at the seams, you can just see their Frankenstein engine struggling with the most basic poo poo.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

I'm glad everyone is playing Star Citizen so I don't have to

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

rePool posted:

The logged out family-friendly text around here is so much better.

Paywall is down right now.

Vertisce...join and post....:justpost:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

No, you have to pay $1000 for the pleasure of him DESTROYING your troll rear end. Otherwise he won't bother.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Montoya is #1 backer that looks like they are probably a white supremacists.

He's South African

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

:bisonyes:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

They’ve promised literally every type of gameplay imaginable, with thousands of players in an instance, and hyper intelligent NPC’s generating dynamic gameplay, all existing within a simulation of unprecedented depth and fidelity.

That's kinda the central theme here that mystifies me. NOTHING works. Everything CIG has done has shows that they're not even capable of making an FPS right - something that was perfected literally decades ago, is built into the engine, and CIG can't do it. All the evidence is right in the game - just log on and see the festering poo poo that is what they've built. The whole thing is absolutely horrendous, and you can feel how wrong it is in your bones from the moment the game loads you in (assuming it does.)

So if you can't make an FPS in an FPS engine, then you promise literally everything, it should be tremendously obvious that they're talking out of their asses.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

That's kinda the central theme here that mystifies me. NOTHING works. Everything CIG has done has shows that they're not even capable of making an FPS right - something that was perfected literally decades ago, is built into the engine, and CIG can't do it. All the evidence is right in the game - just log on and see the festering poo poo that is what they've built. The whole thing is absolutely horrendous, and you can feel how wrong it is in your bones from the moment the game loads you in (assuming it does.)

So if you can't make an FPS in an FPS engine, then you promise literally everything, it should be tremendously obvious that they're talking out of their asses.

Yeah, but all those FPS games are *finished* games, and Star Citizen is ALPHA. You can't compare the two, and if you compare the alpha versions of those games, which you can't because only CIG is transparent enough to let you play the game at this state, you would find that they were even buggier!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shoving over from the Kickstarter thread in Games... looks like Wingman's Hangar has closed.

Terminally Bored posted:

Remember that team of ex-Star Citizen people (including Eric 'Wingman' Peterson) getting the name rights to Descent and deciding on kickstarting a multiplayer-oriented prequel? Well...

Last we heard of them they got bought out by Little Orbit who were to fund the development of the promised single player mode. They even changed the name to Descent, with the original logo and everything. In January Wingman posted an optimistic update saying they're preparing for the launch in which he even mentioned the planned expansions.

Anyway, their website went down two weeks ago, their youtube channel has been silent for half a year and people found a single glassdoor review reading like an eulogy:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Kins posted:

Shoving over from the Kickstarter thread in Games... looks like Wingman's Hangar has closed.

Supremely unsurprising. That original mom-and-pop operation in Austin did not scream "Competence" even at the time. They were way more likeable and authentic but it seemed pretty apparent early on that they weren't going to rock the world with whatever they put out. I even watched a few videos of their Descent game- it just looked dull, to be honest. Too much overhead, not enough player interest, it's not a recipe for success unless you're Chris Roberts, king of failures.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Sarsapariller posted:

I decided to fire it up tonight and it somehow feels more buggy LIVE than it did on the PTU.

Can't refuel anywhere, my hornet canopy randomly opens and closes mid QT and 4-5 times as I was landing at Area 18.
Needed fuel to fly to HUR-L1 R&R to grab my Aquila but couldn't find fuel anywhere to top up the hornet to even get there.

In Area 18, landing gear was stuck to the ground and broke taking off.

I quit and said gently caress it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

rePool posted:

I quit and said gently caress it.

The only gameplay in Store Citizer.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Daztek posted:

Mass Effect???

but like, the missions are flying cool spaceships and not some rpg for hell rear end nerds

edit: from video evidence the flying sucks which is distinctly uncool

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 12, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Chad Jihad posted:

but like, the missions are flying cool spaceships and not some rpg for hell rear end nerds

edit: from video evidence the flying sucks which is distinctly uncool

You have a few options in the genre, off the top of my head:

Up and coming, might be more your style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQetVBJrQI

Existing:
5 stars, dogfighter with a story: https://store.steampowered.com/app/209540/Strike_Suit_Zero/
5 stars, dogfighter with a story and strategy elements, homeworld-esque: https://store.steampowered.com/app/283160/House_of_the_Dying_Sun/
4 stars, MMO with lots of elements including dogfighting, https://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/Elite_Dangerous/
3 stars, dogfighter roguelike: https://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/
didn't play, 4x with 3rd person capship combat: https://store.steampowered.com/app/419480/Starpoint_Gemini_Warlords/
didn't play, exploration I guess but with dogfighting: https://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/No_Mans_Sky/

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019
i miss ARGcast :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

RandomGuy12 posted:

i miss ARGcast :colbert:

e: and SCG

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 12, 2019