Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In my experience blue wins Grad more often than red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bloodlust is too good of an ability. 100% health if you kill a guy?

Like, the counter is just "quite a few things kill you in one hit anyhow" but.... eh. Lots of things don't, and that's an enormous amount of survivability that far outperforms any 5 points worth of armor. As near as I can tell, it outperforms 9 points of armor.

I made a guy with Messer and bloodlust and he's my most effective guy, but I can't tell how much of that is the Messer being the one weapon I understand, and how much is bloodlust being broken as hell.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Blue wins grad a lot because all you have to do is hold the stables, really. It's actually seeing the last obj that is really rare since the farm is a pain in the rear end to cap.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 11, 2019

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
People are really bad about controlling space in this game even if they somehow manage to take an objective. Most of the points past the middle point on the frontline maps rely on the team winning enough space to contest the point and cut off the defender's spawn advantage, but that's a whole other ballpark that you can't expect people to understand when they're barely able to put pants on their medieval barbie and then successfully swing a sword without decapitating a teammate.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So the teams are red vs blue and there is no way to change this. EXCEPT that people can be covered in red blood! AND there is team damage!

This is a very good design decision!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sniper Party posted:

Weird, I usually have a good time on Grad, while Camp and Mountain Pass often go to red and I've seen the red end of Taiga like once or twice.

Oh, blue can win Grad, but realistically it's by holding stables, not taking farm while red can often win by killing the commanders.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Oh, yeah. A few of my friends have been really insistent that Grad always goes to red and I just automatically assumed that's what the talk here was about too. Thought I was living in a weird bubble of my own since Grad has been the best map for me playing blue almost exclusively.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

So the teams are red vs blue and there is no way to change this. EXCEPT that people can be covered in red blood! AND there is team damage!

Turn off team colors and expand markers to own team.

Now everyone's colors are as picked and your friends have floating crosses! You'll still hit them, and they'll still hit you.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bloodlust is too good of an ability. 100% health if you kill a guy?

Like, the counter is just "quite a few things kill you in one hit anyhow" but.... eh. Lots of things don't, and that's an enormous amount of survivability that far outperforms any 5 points worth of armor. As near as I can tell, it outperforms 9 points of armor.

I made a guy with Messer and bloodlust and he's my most effective guy, but I can't tell how much of that is the Messer being the one weapon I understand, and how much is bloodlust being broken as hell.

5 points is quite a bit when you consider you heal 25? Hp for no perk when you get a kill.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The salt and tears about shields being op in the official forums is :discourse:

I have shield as main in one loadout, and as secondary in a couple more (paired with short spear and rapier in the former case, arming sword in the latter), and still get my rear end handed to me more often than not so it's not like it's an invincibility button, and if one is actually good with a shield he is supposed to be hard to kill, get the gently caress over it. Literally, get over or around it with footwork you dumbs.

Also I managed to kill a horse user and it felt great https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7oyYKjyimDQ

And I am also getting a little better at Frontline, made a dude run away at the end here :getin:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=quCZtInyg00

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Crossbow cleaver archer is great, since I can take both ranged traits and flesh wound to go down spamming clicks with my meat crusher

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I wish that the notification for the other team capping a control point came when they started neutralizing your control, not when they started establishing their own. People's grasp of what an objective even is and how it works is tenuous enough. They absolutely don't pay attention to the CP status at the top of the screen though, so no one notices that the control point is being captured literally feet behind them. The number times I've solo captured any point while there are a dozen of the team fighting my team just outside of the control point is astounding. If even one of those people had backpedaled onto the point instead of sat there jacking off (or doing friendly damage with their zweihander) they could have stopped me neutralizing it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Turn off team colors and expand markers to own team.

Now everyone's colors are as picked and your friends have floating crosses! You'll still hit them, and they'll still hit you.

This doesn't really help, because the crosses are easy to lose track of at close range, which it where it matters. Just make it blue vs. yellow, it's not a hard problem.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I bought the claymore skin for the greatsword expecting it to just override all the other options, but it unlocked a full set of claymore customizations in the other slots :aaaaa: fuuuuuuuck I'm gonna waste so much gold on weapon skins now

Unlucky7 posted:

And yet when you turn off team colors and turn on the overhead icon, it's this tiny dull yellow cross that's easy to lose in frenzies so it's hardly more helpful. And it seems most people are wearing tactical earth tones instead of the awesomely loud colors that medieval armies/mercenaries actually employed so disabling team colors is a huge disappointment anyway!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cross + standard team colors is good, since you can see at a glance if the guy covered in blood running at you is actually a teammate or not, that's the only case when team colors alone won't make it.

Team colors off is cool but frustrating since there's no pattern or anything, totally random and the crosses don't help much in that case.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I never notice the crosses over horses and always get freaked out when teammates ride past me.
But seeing all the cool custom colors is worth it. I'm never turning red/blue back on.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TorakFade posted:

Cross + standard team colors is good, since you can see at a glance if the guy covered in blood running at you is actually a teammate or not, that's the only case when team colors alone won't make it.

Team colors off is cool but frustrating since there's no pattern or anything, totally random and the crosses don't help much in that case.

Yeah, rather than clothes changing colors I would love it if enemies just had a red outline around then, or something. Better yet, just make the enemy team have a yellow outline no matter which side you're on, or something.

I'm extremely bad but gently caress, is this game fun. Hopefully they have long terms plans and keep it alive for a while.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Babe Magnet posted:

If you post the server details I'll put it in the OP. Is it eventually going to be public? What kind of server is it? Duels/Skirmish? Slots? Any particular rules other than the obvious "don't say the n-word"? Also, if you plan on putting a password on it, make a post in PGS and I'll link to it in the OP as well, to help with security.

once my income stabilizes I really don't mind tossing a few bucks your way to keep the server up if people are using it. I just didn't want to run it, historically that has gone bad for me lol. Also I'd be glad to help mod it, most of the time I'm on Mordhau I'm trying to clown on dudes in duel servers anyway and I'm always available on discord, I could always pop in and ban some idiot if need-be.

eonwe posted:

hell ya, whats the server info

I made a thread for the server in PGS. I hope that works! All relevant info should be there, tell me if I forgot anything.

Generally I'd like for the server to be public sometime (or at least sometimes) to get more players easily, but the lack of an MOTD where I could put the rules and whatnot bothers me. I'm very much open to opinions on this though (ideally in the thread for the server itself, don't wanna spam here), so hit me.

Right now it's a 16 slot server since I just wanted to give things a test run, but we can absolutely get more slots if interest and money permit.

If you'd like to help me mod, I would very much welcome that! PM me your nick on Steam and I can add you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Despite my earlier griping, this game is really damned fun once you get into a groove and not really much else like I played (For Honor is the closest thing that is similar).

Is it weird that I kind of like playing the preset classes more than creating my own class? So far anyway.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Despite my earlier griping, this game is really damned fun once you get into a groove and not really much else like I played (For Honor is the closest thing that is similar).

Is it weird that I kind of like playing the preset classes more than creating my own class? So far anyway.

I mean, when you first start out you won't have enough money or unlocks to build something as flavorful as the premades. If you're really intentional about which things you buy, you could have exactly what you want up and running after only a few rounds of frontline, but you won't even know what that looks like to you until you sample all the offerings. I think the system they have is just about the best loadout system I've ever encountered.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ritznit posted:

I made a thread for the server in PGS. I hope that works! All relevant info should be there, tell me if I forgot anything.

Generally I'd like for the server to be public sometime (or at least sometimes) to get more players easily, but the lack of an MOTD where I could put the rules and whatnot bothers me. I'm very much open to opinions on this though (ideally in the thread for the server itself, don't wanna spam here), so hit me.

Right now it's a 16 slot server since I just wanted to give things a test run, but we can absolutely get more slots if interest and money permit.

If you'd like to help me mod, I would very much welcome that! PM me your nick on Steam and I can add you.

Really nice server. ty

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Very glad you like it! Now tell your friends and invite them if they are cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll do more tomorrow, my brain is hosed tonight, good duels though. practice reading those feints! Try and teach yourself to parry as late as possible, don't parry the moment a swing comes out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was a lot of fun

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
mordhau + the goon server are both good

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
ah man, I came back too late. :( had to put the kid to sleep! Eonwe you're very good. You have magical, fancy footwork.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks! it was fun playing

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm addicted to memes and cannot use real equipment.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I just want to point out that the executioners sword deals 100 damage to unarmoured legs and underhand swings are amazing

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hot date tonight! posted:

I just want to point out that the executioners sword deals 100 damage to unarmoured legs and underhand swings are amazing

Ya I’ve seen people doing weird horizontal swings while looking down with this lately too. Situational but it appears to work.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm starting to get the feeling that chambering is really not worth it a lot of the time, at least in a 1v1/1v2 scenario. Too much stamina drain. Baiting out chambers to drain the enemy's stamina is where it's at.

Also join up in the official goon Discord in the OP guys, come complain about rapier users in the chat and post your ugly rear end knights and play some drat games!! We'll teach you how to destroy everyone in both Frontline and in Duels, we got this poo poo on lock.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 12, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This has been mentioned before, but loading up on armor and perks and scavenging for your equipment on the battlefield is incredibly fun. Especially in frontline it's pretty easy to hang around a team fight and wait for someone to drop, (or catch them with a running superman punch straight to the teeth). I felt like a god when I ended up with a halberd and a kite shield on my back on top of the armor, dodge, and bloodlust.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that chambering is really not worth it a lot of the time, at least in a 1v1/1v2 scenario. Too much stamina drain. Baiting out chambers to drain the enemy's stamina is where it's at.

Also join up in the official goon Discord in the OP guys, come complain about rapier users in the chat and post your ugly rear end knights and play some drat games!! We'll teach you how to destroy everyone in both Frontline and in Duels, we got this poo poo on lock.

Chambering seems to work pretty well for me but I'm running into stab spammers who will just chamber my chamber. Any suggestions on dealing with that or should I just spam stab too when I come up against one of these players?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the downside of playing a short spear? Stabbing imo seems to deal far too much damage for the few downsides that it has. Slashing takes almost twice as long in any situation, and doesn't deal double the damage. Playing the mouse wheel up game whenever I run into into a short spear user just isn't fun and engaging, and they almost always have a faster recovery than any other weapon.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zotix posted:

What is the downside of playing a short spear?

Nothing

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TorakFade posted:

The salt and tears about shields being op in the official forums is :discourse:

I have shield as main in one loadout, and as secondary in a couple more (paired with short spear and rapier in the former case, arming sword in the latter), and still get my rear end handed to me more often than not so it's not like it's an invincibility button, and if one is actually good with a shield he is supposed to be hard to kill, get the gently caress over it. Literally, get over or around it with footwork you dumbs.

It does need some tweaking. A shield can take on 2-3 for a considerable time, yeah he will lose but he takes up their time, often enough for reinforcements to come in. And hack them to bits while they are distracted. 1v1 shields arnt very good but in front lines I'd argue they excell.

If they just slightly extend the range of the kick so you don't have to be a touching balls for it to connect shields would probably be fine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
stabbing is, imo, a bit too strong right now

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It honestly feels like it. Just a few tweaks would bring it in line, but stabbing right now has too high of damage for how fast it is. Not to mention it can be paired with extremely long range weapons. I haven't personally played as short spear but playing against them is just more effort than I should be. Even if I chamber their attack it feels like they recover faster and can keep pressing with their bullshit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Game needs a pretty fundamental rewrite of its damage model to fix stabbing.

As in, they'd need to completely overhaul how the game deals with what causes damage and what doesn't.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the big issue with stabbing imo if that you can miss a stab, correct yourself and still do damage while it's out and that's loving annoying