Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing, Myra is probably actually one of the most dangerous regular enemies of the Venture family, for a crazy delusional middle aged lady she's someone that even Brock dreads having to deal with, and still has enough skill and charisma to be a massive threat. I mean hell, she basically took over the equivalent of Arkham Asylum from within by forming a cult out of the majority of patients and staff.

I don't know, she got beat by Brock sitting down that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't know, she got beat by Brock sitting down that one time

This is my personal “best scene in the show”

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I just watched the last season and a bit of Metalocaylypse and I was looking at the wiki looking at the guest stars apparently James Urbanik was in at least one episode. I don't remember that at all.

he's a masturbation "expert" who gets called in to comment when Deathklok is forbidden from jerking it because it's giving them carpal tunnel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

uber_stoat posted:

he's a masturbation "expert" who gets called in to comment when Deathklok is forbidden from jerking it because it's giving them carpal tunnel.

Ah. I know exactly what episode that was.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Brock wasn't dreading because she was a threat, he was dreading that she might hurt the boys. It's one of those moments shows Brocks really cares for them. Hell he even says if she does harm them SHE GOES DOWN PERMANENTLY THIS TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkWPIB6t3xo

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

brock tai chi falling into the car is a top 3 moment

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how resigned he is to it. Like he's done it a hundred times before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also the first time I really began to appreciate Brock as his own thing and not just a pastiche of action stereotypes. I know it’s probably a reference to some classic action film but it’s legitimately mystifying the first time you see it. I’m expecting him to roll over the hood or shoot her through the sunroof or something.

And then it happens. It was such a singular moment it really changed how I watched the show, honestly, because I was like “This show is is doing cool stuff”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also the first time I really began to appreciate Brock as his own thing and not just a pastiche of action stereotypes. I know it’s probably a reference to some classic action film but it’s legitimately mystifying the first time you see it. I’m expecting him to roll over the hood or shoot her through the sunroof or something.

And then it happens. It was such a singular moment it really changed how I watched the show, honestly, because I was like “This show is is doing cool stuff”

ya same experience here

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Amazon delivered my S7 blu-ray this morning :toot: :confuoot:

Now I'm glad I preordered instead of waiting for the release date

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FBS posted:

Amazon delivered my S7 blu-ray this morning :toot: :confuoot:

Now I'm glad I preordered instead of waiting for the release date

See and I preordered it, and got an email saying I'm getting it Thursday the 23rd.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What! Mine isn't arriving til the 27th :mad:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

IUG posted:

See and I preordered it, and got an email saying I'm getting it Thursday the 23rd.

Yeah I got an email two days ago that said it would be here on the 27th. But I got a shipping notification at 2 am today and it was on my porch by 10:00.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

amazon does that a lot with release dates. they don’t give any shits

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shindragon posted:

Brock wasn't dreading because she was a threat, he was dreading that she might hurt the boys. It's one of those moments shows Brocks really cares for them. Hell he even says if she does harm them SHE GOES DOWN PERMANENTLY THIS TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkWPIB6t3xo

Kind of a bit of both really?

Been a bit of a theme in the show, especially with characters like Mission Creep, that supervillains/heroes/spies/scientists are generally already on the edge of what could charitably be called sanity as it is, and when they go even further off the rails without rules or a code of conduct they become incredible threats to everyone around them and themselves even moreso than usual because of all the power and skills they have access to, and Myra is dangerous because she's genuinely insane and unpredictable, and doesn't need any funding or equipment to be dangerous.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IUG posted:

And now I got an alert 10 minutes ago saying I'm getting it tomorrow.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK goons, if you aren't aware, as I wasn't: all of Venture Bros is on the All 4 app.

God I'm so happy. How did I miss this?

[edit] Although the Halloween episode and Gargantua 2 are listed separately, so watch out for that.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

UK goons, if you aren't aware, as I wasn't: all of Venture Bros is on the All 4 app.

God I'm so happy. How did I miss this?

[edit] Although the Halloween episode and Gargantua 2 are listed separately, so watch out for that.

Not nearly enough UK goons following this show, probably because it's not super-easy to find outside the US. Which is a shame. So spread the word far and wide.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
"You like Rick and Morty? Watch Venture Bros."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

"You like Rick and Morty? Watch Venture Bros."

LoL what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

they're thematically similar enough that i can honestly kind of see it

they're both shows about a genius superscientist being a horrible human and making GBS threads up all his important interpersonal relationships out of a mixture of self-loathing and incompetence, they just handle it in slightly different styles

e: like R&M honestly owes a giant debt to this show

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 21, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

they’re wildly different in the sense that one is trying desperately to be a good role model for their progeny and help them survive in their hosed up world and the other is the venture bros

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I don't think the shows are very similar, but I'd also imagine most venture fans also like R&M. Maybe not the other way around tho?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: like R&M honestly owes a giant debt to this show

Nah. They're both just riffing on the same tradition of irresponsible scientists in science-fiction. R&M owes more to the Vincent Price's The Fly than it does to Venture Bros.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given they're on the same network and VB has been around for years, I'd imagine that it probably had some influence on Rick and Morty.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t see “Super Science with emotional turmoil” as enough of a common thread. Tonally these shows are completely all over the place.

Honestly the only time I’ve ever felt as bad for someone in VB as I regularly do for Summer & Morty is last season when Hank walks in on Dean & Serina. I never expected a gut punch like that from VB, and my heart broke for Hank.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I think the biggest connection between VB and R&M, besides the idea of superscience, is that... well...

Morty is Rusty. Pretty much. Rusty is smarter than Morty will ever likely be, and Rick is more sociopathic than Jonas ever was, but R&M could almost be The Rusty Venture Show. When Morty grows up, he's going to be Doc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So Channel 4 has the rights to air?

This means hopefully DVD/Blueray discs will follow.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Rick is more sociopathic than Jonas ever was, but R&M could almost be

hard disagree after last season

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rick is a douchebag but he occasionally cares about his friends and family. Jonas is the worst villain.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

hard disagree after last season

Did Jonas carelessly destroy the whole world and just move to a very similar one because fixing his mistake was beyond his capabilities?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tarlibone posted:

Did Jonas carelessly destroy the whole world and just move to a very similar one because fixing his mistake was beyond his capabilities?

He almost certainly would have, if the situation had come up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Rick took Morty with him. Jonas would have left Rusty in that hellscape and just created a new one.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Phenotype posted:

He almost certainly would have, if the situation had come up.

Jonas wouldn't even bother waiting until he had some unfixable problem, he'd probably just do it for some strange

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
*gif of Jonas abandoning a field trip to get gassed by a rogue AI in his basement*

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jonas would only blow up the world if it made him look like a hero.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I get the sense that Jonas is naturally dead inside, but Rick has to put a lot of effort into keeping his conscience dead, which is arguably worse but means he isn't a sociopath.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The vindicators episode shows that Rick becomes deeply opinionated, petty, and emotional when he is drunk. He becomes human, basically.

We’re basically never shown a Jonas with humanity, he’s just a full bore sociopath the entire time.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Rick and Morty is so unaware of Venture Bros that they also had a prom that devolved into the guests turning into horrible mantis people. They didn't do that on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Venture Bros. is a cult favorite, Rick & Morty is an international hit and merchandising powerhouse.