Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
who plays John

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It would rule but, while I'm a fan of Ames and Taibbi and Dolan, I do think it would get metabolized as sexism and nobody who knows those stories would relish getting into it. Like I personally think it's a good outweighing the bad situation and the smears have been pretty cynical, but it's not like that "easy" angle isn't there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Personally I most people would find any accurate portrayal of post-communist Russia to be completely unbelievable.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Personally I most people would find any accurate portrayal of post-communist Russia to be completely unbelievable.

post-communist Russia with the exile guys as audience proxies would be compelling, not the kind of sex, drugs, and rock & roll adventure that would actually be made

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thinking about how much it must've owned to be a 15th century artilleryman slaying knights with 15 pound shot from a culverin
:agreed:
Mount & Blade 2 can't come out soon enough

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

post-communist Russia with the exile guys as audience proxies would be compelling, not the kind of sex, drugs, and rock & roll adventure that would actually be made

Yeah I think it'd be really good but of course any movie studio would be pushing for a film that would be entirely about the latter.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is there a good comprehensive rundown of the period? it's kind of in the background to all the stuff the ex-exile people write but i don't really know what happened other than poo poo's hosed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Can't even remember the last time I've been able to do this, but they just reposted another episode for free.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-26939754

In light of recent events they put up the episode where they speculate on Iran war scenarios.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is it worth a listen still if I just read Dolan's new newsletter on this?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

i dunno, I'm way behind on the newsletters. I mean I listened to it when it came out so I don't have to listen again. It's just free to non-subscribers.

coathat
May 21, 2007

New episode is good but how the hell did Ames not know what Machu Picchu is

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

it didn’t do enough work for the Reagan administration or Atlantic council to pop up on the radar

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

coathat posted:

New episode is good but how the hell did Ames not know what Machu Picchu is

this loving blew my mind

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It blew my mind as well, but then I thought maybe the only reason *I* knew it was from Civilization video games.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

hasnt mark talked about playing civ games before, though?

it really is a bizarre blindspot. its like saying youve never heard of the taj mahal

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

pangstrom posted:

It blew my mind as well, but then I thought maybe the only reason *I* knew it was from Civilization video games.

apparently Ames did not share John's legendary affinity for those glossy monthly picture books

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

pangstrom posted:

It would rule but, while I'm a fan of Ames and Taibbi and Dolan, I do think it would get metabolized as sexism and nobody who knows those stories would relish getting into it. Like I personally think it's a good outweighing the bad situation and the smears have been pretty cynical, but it's not like that "easy" angle isn't there.
I’d just slightly fictionalize it, make it about “The Expat” newspaper with its editors Mark Adams, Matt Thompson, and John Dalton

okay who wants to buy the pilot

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the full article the guest wrote is wild. i hadn't seen the full ideology behind US backed color revolutions laid out like this before

https://nonsite.org/article/change-agent-gene-sharps-neoliberal-nonviolence-part-one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

its just an aside in the article but i never quite made the connection that soros, boogeyman of the right, made his money looting the USSR's corpse lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

its just an aside in the article but i never quite made the connection that soros, boogeyman of the right, made his money looting the USSR's corpse lol

It's something Mark has brought up before, but yeah Soros made a lot of money by pushing liberalization in former Soviet and Eastern bloc states, then buying up what was made available on the market.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anyway it's interesting to me that people who view the world as a dichotomy between good & evil almost never re-examine the assumed "goodness" of capitalism and the nation-state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bastaman Vibration posted:

apparently Ames did not share John's legendary affinity for those glossy monthly picture books

i love old natgeos, mostly for gleaning popular sentiment and some basic foreign policy out of the articles. i've got several from the late eisenhower through kennedy era, including one on the saudis which is a riot

the ads are also bizarre too

THS
Sep 15, 2017

latest ep about gene sharp was excellent. had no idea who the guy was and i'm disturbed that i didn't.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Hell yeah two eps for the end of the Hundred Years War. That'll eat a bit into my drive.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i love that in the first part of the now six part series, near the end mark is like “we might have to split this up into two episodes”

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying the 100 Years War stuff but I'm having trouble keeping track of the characters and narrative.

I'm reading Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine right now and it's pretty good and a light read. Like Ames said in the last episode, it shares a lot of the same institutions and projects as the Gene Sharp stuff.

I cracked up today reading about how US generals devoted a surveillance team to following Pigasus, the Yippies' pet pig they declared a presidential nominee.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying the 100 Years War stuff but I'm having trouble keeping track of the characters and narrative.

I'm reading Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine right now and it's pretty good and a light read. Like Ames said in the last episode, it shares a lot of the same institutions and projects as the Gene Sharp stuff.

I cracked up today reading about how US generals devoted a surveillance team to following Pigasus, the Yippies' pet pig they declared a presidential nominee.

The Yippies are a really annoying bit of history, but goddamn if all the serious "adults" weren't just as stupid.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I hope they cover Pizarro vs. Atahualpa in the Incan episode because I read about it recently and it's loving nuts.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i finally got around to subscribing and it's good

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

In-studio sounds so... wrong.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao human rights watch calling the houthi attack "an apparent war crime"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phone posted:

lmao human rights watch calling the houthi attack "an apparent war crime"

i wonder if any pro-nazi civilians died in the warsaw uprising

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Topical!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6Tzij-Pbs

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

millennium challenge 2019 is gonna be a hoot

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
listening to the latest episode they entertain that iran was responsible for the tanker attacks as a way to say "don't mess with us" -- the location of the attacks being in the gulf of oman, outside the persian gulf, as a signal that tankers are vulnerable if they try to fill up at the UAE's eastern ports. idea being that the U.S. elite are crazy psychos and the IRGC feels the need to do this to frighten them off

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/1139827552057380864

How 'bout a round in the backyard before we're off to bomb Iran?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

think tank nerd giving the game away back in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LKmhDRWFc

scope 2:53 and 5:51

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I saw that. Never heard of the Washington Institute but knew immediately it was an AIPAC thing. The homegrown ones aren't dumb enough to just spell poo poo out like this on tape because it makes people and companies with roots here look bad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Spime Wrangler posted:

think tank nerd giving the game away back in 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LKmhDRWFc

scope 2:53 and 5:51

This video is wild.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

listening to the latest episode they entertain that iran was responsible for the tanker attacks as a way to say "don't mess with us" -- the location of the attacks being in the gulf of oman, outside the persian gulf, as a signal that tankers are vulnerable if they try to fill up at the UAE's eastern ports. idea being that the U.S. elite are crazy psychos and the IRGC feels the need to do this to frighten them off

They also admitted that it was still breaking news while they were talking about it, so that speculation was probably recorded before the US government's case fell apart completely.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This video is wild.

They also admitted that it was still breaking news while they were talking about it, so that speculation was probably recorded before the US government's case fell apart completely.
ah rog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm a bit behind on the news, what was the US evidence other than "please let us kill some more Muslims"