Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Lufia 2 Ancient Cave iris%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I used to run LISA: The Painful.

The first real boss you fight is a Mutant that can one-shot most of your underlevelled party, and you also walk through a fairly dangerous field full of snakes. You have to: Confuse the mutant (low success chance), then get him to hit himself (somewhat high success chance), and then preferably crit himself. Then you have to survive the walk back.

There's a russian roulette section that kills party members. I've never lost anyone important since you choose who goes in, but you could lose the party member that matters, or just die outright.

Every Campfire you'll sleep at has a chance of causing really negative effects (party member being kidnapped, robbed), etc. You can protect against it but it's super likely to happen.

Then all the normal 'RPG bullshit"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Studio posted:

I used to run LISA: The Painful.

The first real boss you fight is a Mutant that can one-shot most of your underlevelled party, and you also walk through a fairly dangerous field full of snakes. You have to: Confuse the mutant (low success chance), then get him to hit himself (somewhat high success chance), and then preferably crit himself. Then you have to survive the walk back.

There's a russian roulette section that kills party members. I've never lost anyone important since you choose who goes in, but you could lose the party member that matters, or just die outright.

Every Campfire you'll sleep at has a chance of causing really negative effects (party member being kidnapped, robbed), etc. You can protect against it but it's super likely to happen.

Then all the normal 'RPG bullshit"

How many arms do you have left at the end of a typical LISA run?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

1!
You need the ladder climbing speed, but you absolutely don't need Fardy

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Resident Evil 3 has quite a lot of RNG

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Goldeneye has a lot of rng too doesn't it? Mainly with runs living or dying on getting shot in the back at the appropriate times and getting optimal item spawns in levels?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What about that Yugioh game that SpikeVegeta and his group frequently play in-between runs? It has the capability of being manipulable (though Speedrun.com lumps them together in the same category) but its a multi-hour affair winning matches to randomly get the cards to build a deck that might beat story progression bosses. But because it's a deck game you might be screwed out of any good cards in your hand and are left to either struggle to survive or waiting a number of turns to get that momentum back.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Goldeneye has a lot of rng too doesn't it? Mainly with runs living or dying on getting shot in the back at the appropriate times and getting optimal item spawns in levels?

Yeah but that's only because everyone does IL runs and those are insanely optimized at this point.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

What about that Yugioh game that SpikeVegeta and his group frequently play in-between runs? It has the capability of being manipulable (though Speedrun.com lumps them together in the same category) but its a multi-hour affair winning matches to randomly get the cards to build a deck that might beat story progression bosses. But because it's a deck game you might be screwed out of any good cards in your hand and are left to either struggle to survive or waiting a number of turns to get that momentum back.

Yeah Forbidden Memories iirc. It predates the actual card game and has bonkers rules, and part of the non manip speedrun is memorizing dozens and dozens of fusion combinations be it's the only way to get good monsters without manips or tons of grinding.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
In diaries of a spaceport janitor the only way to progress is to pray to various gods until your in game luck stat is high enough to have a fetish for each of them drop.

Then for the last bit of the quest you need a bunch of other rare items.

Afaik no one runs it

A run is apparently just under an hour long

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 11, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diaries of a spaceport janitor is cool as hell

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Power up with pride schedule dropped.

https://twitter.com/PwerUpWithPride/status/1127030615008792576?s=19

They're letting me do 2 games?? Ok that's neat

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Is....is that Pringles I see? :emptyquote:
e: ah poo poo 4:25pm, gotta marathon at work I guess

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gently caress yeah, a speedrun marathon i care about

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SeXReX posted:

Why are the games I want to see always at gently caress o' clock am or driving home pm? (Not just in this case, but marathons in general.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

gently caress yeah, a speedrun marathon i care about

No ~gaming culture~, no MAGA hats.

This is the best speedrunning event.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
When it comes to rus that are RNG heavy, Pokemon Speedruns, basically all of them, live or die on RNG. At any given moment the game can just deicde gently caress you, here's a crit and there's nothing you can do. Or a Pokeball fails. Or you get too many enconters and lose time. There is heavy tactic involved, but these game are still random and have a damage variance formula of around 30%.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah Forbidden Memories iirc. It predates the actual card game and has bonkers rules, and part of the non manip speedrun is memorizing dozens and dozens of fusion combinations be it's the only way to get good monsters without manips or tons of grinding.

Yup, the game is pretty unique in that you can combine cards to get better cards. The strat is to load up your deck with lightning and dragon cards and a few intermediate fusion cards, which will produce Twin-Headed Thunder Dragons with around 2500 attack (versus 8000 player life points), 4-5 equips that boost attack by 500 each, a few water spells for a beneficial field that adds another 500, and a few nukes to counter the cards with 4000 defense that would otherwise be untouchable. (You can expect 1-2 of these on the latter fights.)

To get these cards, you have to re-fight old fights, each of which lasts a couple of minutes, and some of which require you to manipulate the fight to get a certain number of stars after the fight. Each fight gives you one card at random. Get used to this song, because it’s on for a good 2/3rds of the run.

After you assemble a good enough deck, you eventually come against the Final Six. This is the final boss fight of the run: six fights against opponents with the most powerful cards in the game. You have to beat all of them, in a row, with no saves in between. Even the best decks have lovely cards that are used for fusion; if you get unlucky one match and draw 7 fusion cards in a row that don’t go together, an endgame fight can just kill you without you even having a chance to fight back. This applies to opponents as well, but you have to get at minimum okay luck six times straight to win.

Alternatively, you could just get three copies of the best card in the game from a few 1% drops, then throw your deck at the Final Six until you get lucky enough to draw them out of a deck of 40.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Kikas posted:

When it comes to rus that are RNG heavy, Pokemon Speedruns, basically all of them, live or die on RNG. At any given moment the game can just deicde gently caress you, here's a crit and there's nothing you can do. Or a Pokeball fails. Or you get too many enconters and lose time. There is heavy tactic involved, but these game are still random and have a damage variance formula of around 30%.

Phantasy Star 4 ain't no slouch either with the damage variance.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I bought the japanese version of forbidden memories and two Pocketstations to do that thing where you can generate obscenely powerful monsters by pointing a TV remote at the memory card.

this is a misc thing in the community but I'm not even planning on running it that just sounds inherently funny to do to me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://streamable.com/k4dth

calebheart had a heated gaming moment and used the gamer word.

woops.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ramadu posted:

https://streamable.com/k4dth

calebheart had a heated gaming moment and used the gamer word.

woops.

that happened quite a while ago dawg

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

would not be surprised if it happened again though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They are planning to upload the RPG Limit Break runs on youtube, right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electric Phantasm posted:

They are planning to upload the RPG Limit Break runs on youtube, right?

Yeah, it usually just takes a while since its a much smaller event. ESA is just now finally finishing their uploads from ESA Winter back in late February.

GDQ used to as well before like 2015 or so.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

that thing where you can generate obscenely powerful monsters by pointing a TV remote at the memory card

Okay I need to read more about this. Is the basic idea that you use the infrared on the PocketStation to "trade" with a universal remote programmed to deliver whatever data payload corresponds to the cards you want?

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 12, 2019

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Frame Fatales starting in 5½ hours!

Schedule: https://horaro.org/framefatales/schedule

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And we're live!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It's only 12 hours? I don't watch speedruns on the weekend <:mad:>

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it runs until thursday night??

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh woops, I only saw this image (missed the tweet with it)

which should have DAY 1 slapped on in big letters

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im excited to watch it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell yeah, another speedrunning marathon i care about

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the commentary on this sekiro run has been pretty enjoyable

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Like two weeks ago and he got banned from twitch for 3 days and is now back to it like nothing happened.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dr. Stab posted:

Like two weeks ago and he got banned from twitch for 3 days and is now back to it like nothing happened.

the response you got isn't 'this thread doesn't care' it's 'this thread went over it extensively at the time and you missed the conversation about how awful he is'

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Okay I need to read more about this. Is the basic idea that you use the infrared on the PocketStation to "trade" with a universal remote programmed to deliver whatever data payload corresponds to the cards you want?

That's the basic idea and I can't really tell you anymore than that. I'd love to read more about it myself, but there's nothing more to read, it's not well documented. Even the Japanese wiki pages are kinda vague on this and the Japanese strategy guide makes a vague mention of how a tv remote can be useful for Card Lottery functions but I've not been able to locate more information.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Seems like you might be able to test that a little more rigorously with one of those phone apps that lets you send raw remote codes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Roflex posted:

Seems like you might be able to test that a little more rigorously with one of those phone apps that lets you send raw remote codes.

Precisely. That was my idea too. I just haven't actually collated all the right bits and bobs yet to make it all work. Pocketstations needs batteries and they also need tiny rear end screwdrivers to open that I don't have and you know this is still probably cheaper than most hardware based speedrunning but it is definitely stupider.

now excuse me while I buy a copy of Monster Rancher and a stack of blank CDs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

With RPGLB having just finished up, and now Frame Fatales running followed by PUWP, that's a lot of speedrunning content to watch up until SGDQ.

And I remembered to order my RPGLB Yetee merch over the weekend!