Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's almost impressive how the animators fundamentally misunderstood the scene. :psyduck:

It could just be that they didn't have time to do it correctly and just copied the timing and poses from another scene they had on hand (or found on Youtube/etc).

There's something deeply fundamentally wrong going on, and everyone notices it. Someone needs to crack and give us more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Andrigaar posted:

It could just be that they didn't have time to do it correctly and just copied the timing and poses from another scene they had on hand (or found on Youtube/etc).

There's something deeply fundamentally wrong going on, and everyone notices it. Someone needs to crack and give us more details.

The reuse that "machine gun hands" effect diret rip like 3-4 times in that episode. You can tell that they are seriously time constrained and or cutting budget wherever they can.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCURl6Hfqg

Here's the fight itself, and yeah, looks like he just kinda counters and throws a quick tiny hadouken.

Also, i'm the huge puffy left pantleg

Honestly doesn't look that bad.
Other than the hadoken and clearly recycled frames. It doesn't get close to S1, but it's not terrible.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The sound design is what above all else annoys me to no end, eg: either my audio is messed up or the whipping noises are really that weak

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The junk collector posted:

The reuse that "machine gun hands" effect diret rip like 3-4 times in that episode. You can tell that they are seriously time constrained and or cutting budget wherever they can.

It's the former. We knew the animation was in a very rough state extremely close to release (the last trailer for the show is more than proof enough of this). The animators are likely being made to rush like hell to get these episodes out in time due to really bad scheduling, quality be damned.

"Budget" is a buzzword we need to leave behind. The issue here, as it was in many other shows, is really bad time allocation, not money.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
let's just call it bad

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PCURl6Hfqg

Here's the fight itself, and yeah, looks like he just kinda counters and throws a quick tiny hadouken.

Also, i'm the huge puffy left pantleg

Aww man, the manhole cover ricochet got cut out while people were dying of exhaustion trying to make this.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's the former. We knew the animation was in a very rough state extremely close to release (the last trailer for the show is more than proof enough of this). The animators are likely being made to rush like hell to get these episodes out in time due to really bad scheduling, quality be damned.

"Budget" is a buzzword we need to leave behind. The issue here, as it was in many other shows, is really bad time allocation, not money.

It doesn't actually matter that people call it budget.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
You can fail at budgeting your time just as easily as you can fail to budget money. The point is that the animation is bad, whatever the cause of it was. It's not even just disappointing compared to season 1, it's straight up badly animated.

At least it's better than Berserk I guess.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

At least it's better than Berserk I guess.
One Punch Man S2 anime thread: At least it's better than Berserk I guess.

Indeed, A fine example of damming something with faint praise.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RareAcumen posted:

Aww man, the manhole cover ricochet got cut out while people were dying of exhaustion trying to make this.

Manhole cover ricochet was removed in the original too, since ONE said that it didn't feel like something Metal Bat would do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

Manhole cover ricochet was removed in the original too, since ONE said that it didn't feel like something Metal Bat would do.

Aww man, that's like the only bit he's got aside from the meeting at the Hero Association that shows he's not just a thug with a bat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if those are the only two bits maybe he is just a thug with a bat?

personally i'm pretty ok with that

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Darth TNT posted:

Honestly doesn't look that bad.
Other than the hadoken and clearly recycled frames. It doesn't get close to S1, but it's not terrible.

It's terrible

It starts out nice for the first 15 seconds or so but then everything else is really bad action & animation, despite being based on one of the best fights in the manga (and as such one of the best drawn fights period.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, yeah, he's a thug with a metal bat and a heart of gold.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
And fighting spirit.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

ninjewtsu posted:

He's got swagger

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm a bit bored that the pacing is so different in season 2 compared to 1. In season one it was basically a new fight every week with a couple multi-part fights for the sea king/whatever the last guy was. This season has been 6 episodes of the same extremely slow tedious grinding build up, which is anime as gently caress but I thought the whole point was deconstruction/subversion of tropes and not playing into them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That sounds pretty accurate to the comic tbh.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent355 posted:

I'm a bit bored that the pacing is so different in season 2 compared to 1. In season one it was basically a new fight every week with a couple multi-part fights for the sea king/whatever the last guy was. This season has been 6 episodes of the same extremely slow tedious grinding build up, which is anime as gently caress but I thought the whole point was deconstruction/subversion of tropes and not playing into them.

Normally this is where I recommend reading Murata but:

https://bato.to/chapter/776150

Try it out, see if you can stand the art style, and if you do the pacing of this arc should be a bit better.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah it might just be on me for expecting something that was never going to happen. I don't really like anime as a general rule, all the tropes and writing conventions that define the genre I find really unpalatable, so OPM is a weird stand out that I actually enjoy alot.

If it becomes more standard anime faire I might just check out, though I'll probably give reading the manga adaption/webcomic a try just to see.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Agent355 posted:

Yeah it might just be on me for expecting something that was never going to happen. I don't really like anime as a general rule, all the tropes and writing conventions that define the genre I find really unpalatable, so OPM is a weird stand out that I actually enjoy alot.

If it becomes more standard anime faire I might just check out, though I'll probably give reading the manga adaption/webcomic a try just to see.

Not to be That Guy but “anime” isn’t a genre, it’s a medium, and to say that it is is to flatten it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's better, as many adaptations are, in manga form.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Actually it's better in the webcomic and the manga added a bunch of stuff that so far hasn't really mattered with this tournament and its other additions.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I thought the art was a little better this episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Mob Psycho is by the same author if you wanna check that out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is season two getting hosed up now?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Petition to rename the thread "One Punch Man - Season 2 has descended, and the poo poo just blew."

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Kild posted:

Actually it's better in the webcomic and the manga added a bunch of stuff that so far hasn't really mattered with this tournament and its other additions.

Building out the world and characters with flawless impeccable art is important. Sorry that you need the manga to be a slavish adaptation of the old material.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The pace of the webcomic is The 100x better, as is the comedic timing.

The redraw is still great, but the tournament was way too long.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I read fast so it wasn't a problem for me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The tournament was much better paced than the early parts of the monster base infiltration.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Building out the world and characters with flawless impeccable art is important. Sorry that you need the manga to be a slavish adaptation of the old material.

lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The tournament was much better paced than the early parts of the monster base infiltration.

All of it owned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You mean the 140 page update where Murata goes completely nuts with the heroes killing like a hundred monsters? drat that chapter owned.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

You can fail at budgeting your time just as easily as you can fail to budget money. The point is that the animation is bad, whatever the cause of it was. It's not even just disappointing compared to season 1, it's straight up badly animated.

Looks like I've found the right place to air my grievances.

OPM2 by JC Staff sucks rear end. I've just caught up on all of it and it's literally OPM: The Light Novel Audiobook. Wow yes so much motion blur I almost got tricked into thinking the rapid punches were more than 3 frames on repeat with the camera panning and scanning.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

UP AND ADAM posted:

I read fast so it wasn't a problem for me.

It dragged on for years. Look at when it started and when it ended. How long it took you to read doesn't really matter, because it implies you thought it was so boring you skimmed through it. For others, it was the only content even though most of us just wanted it to move the gently caress on.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't read fast and i thought it was fine

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The only reason the tournament arc is so hated is because it took years. Read it again without having to wait months for 15 pages and it's much better paced. Not to mention, it had the weight of knowing the webcomic's plot meant people just wanted to "get to the good stuff". If the manga was the only thing we knew of OPM it would have been better received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I have no problems with the tournament