Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Yeah, space is so big it really fucks with your perception. Things are really big, but distances between things are even more unfathomably big. The Moon looks close, but you could neatly tuck all planets of our solar system between Earth and the Moon (for about a millisecond, until gravity starts doing very weird stuff I guess).

Every single dot you see here is a galaxy like ours containing millions to trillions of stars. The photo itself is the Hubble Deep Field, a snapshot of one 24 millionth of the complete night sky you see when you look up at night.

Space is bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ok so it says on wikipedia that there are 3000 things in it. It's clearly a lot but 3k really?

e: There's a bit of graininess in it, is that part of it?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's more of a shock that Saturn's rings extend only 37000 miles out. The way we imagine it you'd think Earth would be inside them.

The F Ring, the outermost clearly visible ring, is at 87,000 miles out from Saturn's center. Saturn takes up a bit more than 36,000 miles of that, so the F Ring is 51,000 miles out. And if you count the much fainter G and E Rings, they extend to almost 300,000 miles.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Somebody actual put together a page with a scale model of the solar system where the moon is 1 pixel. If you've got about twenty minutes it's worth checking out.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ultrafilter posted:

Somebody actual put together a page with a scale model of the solar system where the moon is 1 pixel. If you've got about twenty minutes it's worth checking out.

There is also http://www.swedensolarsystem.se/en/ which is a 1: 20 000 000 scale model of our solar system spanning pretty much the entire country of Sweden. Takes a bit more than 20 minutes to check out though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jag är terminalchocken

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

She threw a “perfect” perfect game: 7 innings, 21 batters, 21 strikeouts.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

She threw a “perfect” perfect game: 7 innings, 21 batters, 21 strikeouts.

What a wizard.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

jobson groeth posted:

What a wizard.

A grand achievement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shout out to the Moon, the best natural satellite in the entire solar system.

Keep up the good work :waycool:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Shout out to the Moon, the best natural satellite in the entire solar system.

Keep up the good work :waycool:

:colbert: What has the moon done for us lately?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TontoCorazon posted:

Tidal forces?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

poo poo like this is so cool. I always love it when "so-and-so actually got to so-and-so place first" stories turn out to be true. I still have my fingers crossed that China discovered California.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf is that bronze/copper (?) mix in the shape of a coin that depicts the image of the moon?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Can someone explain the coins ? Where are they from and where were they found ?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

poo poo like this is so cool. I always love it when "so-and-so actually got to so-and-so place first" stories turn out to be true. I still have my fingers crossed that China discovered California.

China can go gently caress themselves until they let 1000000+ people out of their concentration camps, I don't care if they discovered the Loch Ness monster eating golden apples with Frankenberry and John Lennon.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lady Disdain posted:

Can someone explain the coins ? Where are they from and where were they found ?

The picture is clickable to an article.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're into that sort of thing you might want to check out Step Back History on Youtube. Lots of great history stuff in general but also a series on some plausible and not-so-plausible theories on who may have discovered America before Columbus.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Solice Kirsk posted:

This might be my favorite recent episode of JRE because they do nothing but talk about ancient civilizations for hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxmw9eizOAo

Worth listening to during a long run.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Thank you.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Triggs posted:

This might be my favorite recent episode of JRE because they do nothing but talk about ancient civilizations for hours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxmw9eizOAo

Worth listening to during a long run.

hard pass on joe rogan anything

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Yep.

"Alex Jones And Joe Rogan Made Peace With A Bizarre Podcast"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2019/02/28/alex-jones-and-joe-rogan-made-peace-with-a-bizarre-podcast/#47f83627da38

There's more, have at it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ok so it says on wikipedia that there are 3000 things in it. It's clearly a lot but 3k really?

e: There's a bit of graininess in it, is that part of it?
That was taken in 1995. Here's a 6000x6000 version of the Ultra Deep Field they did a few years later after the imaging hardware was upgraded.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

TontoCorazon posted:

Well sometimes, it hits your eye like a big pizza pie...and that's amore

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

that article is bunkos.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ElGroucho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKrf7mX_R6M

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Well sometimes, it hits your eye like a big pizza pie...and that's amore

So I'm in an abusive relationship with the moon and I need to be thankful?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TontoCorazon posted:

So I'm in an abusive relationship with the moon and I need to be thankful?

same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S9YtRnlPMk

ime it sucks to be a buff soviet guy getting left by a hot space chick

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

I mean you could listen to the episodes with people that you want to listen to and skip the other ones. He has episodes with Eddie Izzard, Kevin Hart, Dr. Phil, Andrew Yang, Travis Barker, Brian Cox, Mike Tyson...

That "Joe Rogan condensed in 19 seconds" video is spot on though.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Claeaus posted:

I mean you could listen to the episodes with people that you want to listen to and skip the other ones. He has episodes with Eddie Izzard, Kevin Hart, Dr. Phil, Andrew Yang, Travis Barker, Brian Cox, Mike Tyson...

Or you could never support the guy that is a feed in to Nazi bullshit.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

jobson groeth posted:

:hmmyes:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

jobson groeth posted:

:hai:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jobson groeth posted:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxoIly3jt4

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Re: space being huge.

So how fast is light? Pretty damned fast, isn't it? Like so loving fast you can't ever see it moving under normal circumstances. It's fast enough that you can treat it like it's instantaneous for pretty much everything that happens day to day. It isn't but it might as well be it's so freaking fast.

Despite that it takes 8 god damned minutes and 20 loving seconds for it to get here from the Sun. That's right. Over eight minutes. If the Sun blew up for some reason it would take over eight minutes for that information to get here. If you had something that could travel the speed of light it would still take over four hours to get to Pluto.

The star that's closest to ours is over four light years away. If the Sun blew up it would be over four years before anybody over at Alpha Centauri saw it.

When you look up at the sky at night you are effectively looking back in time.

Check this poo poo out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN-z11

Farthest known object so far, as far as we can tell. Billions of light years away. Billions. When you look at the pictures of this thing what you're seeing is whatever the hell was there billions of years ago. I'm going to repeat that. Billions. With a b. Whatever is there now probably isn't this thing. It's probably a galaxy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Claeaus posted:

Is that really the best examples you got? Your list of "good" Joe Rogan episodes includes a pseudoscience peddler, a neoliberal capitalist, a member of Blink-182, and a man with substantial brain damage. And I don't particularly like Brian Cox, either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also Kevin Hart is literally so homophobic that the 2019 Oscars didn't have a host because he got called out for it and couldn't even bother saying he was wrong. He'd be best chucked into a river (which would be pretty easy with him).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So how fast is light? Pretty damned fast, isn't it? Like so loving fast you can't ever see it moving under normal circumstances. It's fast enough that you can treat it like it's instantaneous for pretty much everything that happens day to day. It isn't but it might as well be it's so freaking fast.

Despite that it takes 8 god damned minutes and 20 loving seconds for it to get here from the Sun. That's right. Over eight minutes. If the Sun blew up for some reason it would take over eight minutes for that information to get here. If you had something that could travel the speed of light it would still take over four hours to get to Pluto.

The star that's closest to ours is over four light years away. If the Sun blew up it would be over four years before anybody over at Alpha Centauri saw it.

Check this poo poo out:

Farthest known object so far, as far as we can tell. Billions of light years away. Billions. When you look at the pictures of this thing what you're seeing is whatever the hell was there billions of years ago. I'm going to repeat that. Billions. With a b. Whatever is there now probably isn't this thing. It's probably a galaxy.

Wow did you get that from I loving love science

Xun has a new favorite as of 19:49 on May 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Check this poo poo out:

Talking about the size of space in terms of how fast light moves isn't all that helpful. Light is too fast for people to get any context from that. Honestly, the distances involved really are unimaginable, but one thing that kind of works for me is to think of the distance to the moon in terms of the lifetime of a car. The moon is about 250,000 miles away, which is about as far as a really reliable modern car makes it. And that's the closest celestial object in the universe (other than the occasional asteroid). Everything else is orders of magnitude farther. It also helps put into context how crazy it was that the moon landings got there in about 4 days, and that we can get satellites to other planets in any reasonable amount of time.