Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is pretty much what I wanted out of the LP.

Anyway hope Pete lives.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
They'll be fine, their grenadier hasn't moved yet. Or their Ranger with the mimic beacon. This is the exact situation you bring the mimic beacon for.

Enemy pods try to spread out when you activate them specifically so that you can't tag more than one alien with a grenade. They don't always succeed, mind you, depending on the cover situation and terrain. Archons and MECs ignore cover, and usually are able to spread out better as a result.

I thought for sure they were going to activate that pack when they sent Pete to the corner of the train, but nope.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 7, 2019

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I mean, it really is just the frost bomb.* I've only played base XCOM2, zero DLC and that thing really is just insane. Even the boltcaster's stun is just a percent chance, and even the snek-suit's Frostbite is single target, single use. I'm planning to replay the game with WOTC+DLC+a bunch of mods one of these days and I'm honestly arguing with myself whether to ignore it or not. Do the Chosen have any abilities that no-sell that thing?

*Not telling you two not to keep using it, you dudes do you, dudes.

Well, the Assassin avoids it by doing hit & run shenanigans, the Hunter by virtue of being 3 miles away :v:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is pretty much what I wanted out of the LP.

Anyway hope Pete lives.

:emptyquote:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hahaha yeah, it's not that we want anyone to die, it's just more fun when the game forces you to go "oh, gently caress" every now and again. But I think Pete will be fine; he's got untouchable from his kill and I think might have a move left so he can get back in cover. Plus the Purple Thing will probably leave everybody spread out enough that they won't eat the Andromedon's special.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 7, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They still haven't looked into or talked about continent bonuses. They've gotten two without really thinking about them. I bring it up because they bought stuff with intel while North America has an unclaimed bonus that decreases black market intel costs.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Akratic Method posted:

Hahaha yeah, it's not that we want anyone to die, it's just more fun when the game forces you to go "oh, gently caress" every now and again. But I think Pete will be fine; he's got untouchable from his kill and I think might have a move left so he can get back in cover. Plus the Purple Thing will probably leave everybody spread out enough that they won't eat the Andromedon's special.

Seconded; I don't want them to lose, nor do I try to sabotage them with my suggestions, but I do find the videos more interesting when they end up in a difficult position and have to come up with clever tactics on the spot.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Dr Christmas posted:

They still haven't looked into or talked about continent bonuses. They've gotten two without really thinking about them. I bring it up because they bought stuff with intel while North America has an unclaimed bonus that decreases black market intel costs.

I think they've vaguely noticed them, but they haven't taken a look at any to-be-unlocked continent bonuses.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 8, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
You should dump the dlc weapons too if you've decided to indulge thread urges

it's gonna change absolutely nothing beyond taking longer turns, people getting injured a bit more, and playing the injury loss lottery there

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Try out the SPARK cowards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GeneX posted:

it's gonna change absolutely nothing beyond taking longer turns, people getting injured a bit more, and playing the injury loss lottery there

Seems like you are holding a grudge.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I propose the term "Reloverwatch" for turns where Tea just has everyone reload and enter overwatch.

Dr Christmas posted:

Try out the SPARK cowards.
:hai:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

I propose the term "Reloverwatch" for turns where Tea just has everyone reload and enter overwatch.
"Tea time."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Again a massive shout out to my amazing artist Bifauxnen. She makes all the banners for this LP and is very much the third member of the LP team. We hope you enjoy this episode.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17970763

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 11, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Seems like you are holding a grudge.

Nat wanted me to be grumpy

also use Nat Twenty just to make commentary annoying, ty ty

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

GeneX posted:

Don't forget about dumping the ruler armors. :v: If you don't want the risk, you don't get the toys either. :colbert:

Really though, why are you so pessimistic about the whole concept of vanilla XCOM2?

- Nat & Tea have already proven they can handle tough enemies and even entire pods without the frost bomb.
- The LP'ers being a duo, they don't often fall victim to committing to a crazy idea that gets people killed simply because the other can usually point out the flaws in the plan that the one who proposed it is blind to.
- With squads of six and the non-dlc armors available, they potentially have access to what, 12 item/grenade slots per mission?
- There are also plenty of toys besides the basic grenade to help them.
- As for injuries, when have those been a problem lately? Even gravely wounded soldiers only spend like 6-7 days in the med bay. So they are usually back in shape for the next mission. At worst, Nat & Tea have to play a mission without a specific class.
- Finally, I don't think turns will take longer because their playstyle is already slow and methodical.

They will be fine, I'm sure of it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
A quick reminder! Get your votes in for the rookies we're going to recruit.

In terms of the discussion.

I'm happy to play a more vanilla game now. We want to grow out our B team and we're not supply rich but we're not begging for scraps like before. And honestly I think the challenge will be fun.

The only places where we won't mess around are facilities because of how dangerous the avatar counter is

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why no Spark option? :argh:

If you're training a rookie, make it a robot!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mordja posted:

Why no Spark option? :argh:

If you're training a rookie, make it a robot!

And put Julian in it. Couldn't possibly go wrong!

(Actually seriously do, it's funny)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bremen posted:

And then blow it up with friendly fire? :sun:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

And then blow it up with friendly fire? :sun:
:actually: SPARKS can be trained to provide cover to surrounding squares so while it's not friendly, they do draw a lot of fire.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Bremen posted:

Agreed.

If it helps, it's probably the worst punishment for Julian.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
No SPARK because they're at 0/0 on upgrades and that's a bridge too far for me.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the amount of investment to get sparks up to par when you'll probably only ever have one, maybe two at most, makes it hard to justify buying their upgrades

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

A quick reminder! Get your votes in for the rookies we're going to recruit.

In terms of the discussion.

I'm happy to play a more vanilla game now. We want to grow out our B team and we're not supply rich but we're not begging for scraps like before. And honestly I think the challenge will be fun.

The only places where we won't mess around are facilities because of how dangerous the avatar counter is

Really enjoying the LP and all in favor of you two playing a more vanilla game through to the end. Note that facility missions already give you an edge by not having mission timers.

I'm sure that replaying with the War of the Chosen DLC is out, but it also has a DLC that adds mini-campaigns, which are a series of strung-together individual missions that tell a story. No strategic map, a few choices related to improving equipment between missions, just some challenging scenarios that offer some interesting tactical choices and a few mixes of equipment and soldier skills that force you to try a few new things. I'm sure the thread could hook you up with the necessary DLC to give it a try, assuming you're not burned out on the game by then. (You get to play Bradford, if that's a positive incentive. He nags a lot less when he's in the field.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Tactical Legacy Pack, which has that, requires War of the Chosen. So that would be 8 bucks on top of 40 bucks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given how much Severa is part of the game now, it seems logical that once this LP comes to an end, you should do some kind of Fire Emblem LP. You may not be able to do a blind LP, since even if you've somehow not played one of the FE games, you know enough about the underlying systems not to be surprised by much, but I think it'd be a fun watch because you know so much about the series.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 12, 2019

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

AriadneThread posted:

the amount of investment to get sparks up to par when you'll probably only ever have one, maybe two at most, makes it hard to justify buying their upgrades

This is true as a general campaign rule (although I have an easy time justifying it: I love giant robots), but for them specifically: do they have anything left to spend money on? They have all the plasma weapons and the top armor, and honestly I usually end campaigns with $2-3K sitting around because I can't spend it. They'll have to pay for the archon king armor (I don't think that's a spoiler now that the clear pattern of 1 ruler = 1 armor is established) and I think maybe they didn't try building a WAR suit if they wanted to do that, and that's all I can think of that costs money. Maybe several Bluescreen rounds if they ever figure out how good that is?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

jng2058 posted:

Given how much Severa is part of the game now, it seems logical that once this LP comes to an end, you should do some kind of Fire Emblem LP. You may not be able to do a blind LP, since even if you've somehow not played one of the FE games, you know enough about the underlying systems not to be surprised by much, but I think it'd be a fun watch because you know so much about the series.

So there's a little to unpack here.

Tea and I discuss our LP queue at length, we also try to set things up so that we have a varying cycle with a chilled out LP sandwiched between our "serious" ones. This is mainly so we get to unwind a bit and so there's a little less pressure on me for editing time. At the moment we have two serious LPs planned for the next year or so. The first is going to be Shadow of the Colossus 2017, which neither of us have played and the second is going to be Warcraft 3 Remastered as Tea never played the original and we wanted to have an LP where I know the game and Tea doesn't.

Our chilled LPs are very likely to be two of Banjo Kazooie, drunk out of our minds (as long as I can set that up properly) and Sonic Generations.

We briefly considered doing Fire Emblem Awakening. There are a number of reasons we aren't doing it. With Tea going in Blind I'd want to show off as much of the game as I could and with the restarts/other stuff we'd need to make that work, we'd end up with an LP that required very very heavy editing for it to be viable in video format.

With all of that being said.

I'm currently doing a solo LP of Yoshi's Crafted World. After that's done, my next solo LP will be Fire Emblem Awakening, Ironman. Playing alone I can assume familiarity with the game on behalf of my viewers and the Ironman challenge behind it will make it a) different from everything before and b) interesting to talk about from a tactical perspective. But also, I just love playing Awakening with all of my heart so it's the exact kind of relaxation LP that I'd enjoy playing.

TLDR: I will solo LP Fire Emblem Awakening in the near future.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Natural 20 posted:

Works for me. :tipshat:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Natural 20 posted:

I'm currently doing a solo LP of Yoshi's Crafted World. After that's done, my next solo LP will be Fire Emblem Awakening, Ironman. Playing alone I can assume familiarity with the game on behalf of my viewers and the Ironman challenge behind it will make it a) different from everything before and b) interesting to talk about from a tactical perspective. But also, I just love playing Awakening with all of my heart so it's the exact kind of relaxation LP that I'd enjoy playing.

You have the same exact voice as someone I've LP'd with in the past, therefore I can never watch you LP anything anime, it'd be too weird. Took me long enough to adjust to watching this one. Seriously. Same voice, more charisma.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I need a name for my gun. I'm not putting anything good into it." -- Yorkshire Tea

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The name for Nat Twenty's gun? Why, his constant companion, Yorkshire Tea, of course!

Bruceski posted:

"I need a name for my gun. I'm not putting anything good into it." -- Yorkshire Tea

:same:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Bruceski posted:

:hai:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I was going to suggest Natural 1 on account of you gave you a stock because you're expected to miss.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vorebane posted:

I was going to suggest Natural 1 on account of you gave you a stock because you're expected to miss.

This is very good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.