Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This video helped me figure out how to test my fried R/R:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2jWIkhy1fo

In short, you're testing to see that current can only travel one direction through it. If current can go two directions, then diodes are hosed. The R/R will still work a lot of the time but may do funky things like overcharge your battery (had this happen) or fail to regulate the current, dumping all of it into the main harness, blowing fuses and poo poo (also had this happen).

Glad I started charging chat. I came back to the thread to post this. Confirmed I have no charging voltage on a quick ride today. Taped my meter to the fuel tank and clamped the leads to the battery lol. I really want to fire the shotgun at the r/r but I know better. Having worked on land rovers all week, hung springs on a WRX at home last night, and did yard work all day, I'm pooped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki R/Rs are known weak points, so it would be a relatively safe shotgun approach. But if you’re on a budget and/or just want the learning experience of diagnosing electrical demons, go hog wild. There are also relays that die and grounds that get compromised and wires that wear through the insulation, so never hurts to know for sure.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

right arm posted:

finished washing my bike after getting back from an overnight ~250mi ride up in the cascades

This looks straight amazing my dude.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

interwhat posted:

Glad I started charging chat. I came back to the thread to post this. Confirmed I have no charging voltage on a quick ride today. Taped my meter to the fuel tank and clamped the leads to the battery lol. I really want to fire the shotgun at the r/r but I know better. Having worked on land rovers all week, hung springs on a WRX at home last night, and did yard work all day, I'm pooped.

Check all the wiring visually first. Especially check all around the engine for engine->frame grounds. That's the #1 place for "my honda won't charge" problems. If that one ground strap is loose or worn or corroded, then there's a SIGNIFICANT voltage drop and not enough power gets from the regulator to the battery.

As far as actual content: I pulled the 'wing out of storage, inflated the tires, then charged the battery and diagnosed the giant oil leak. When I did the water pump last whenever ago, I got an o-ring in sideways and so all the oil was falling out. I'm off to the parts store to get a single o-ring, and then I should be able to ride again. It's been a few months, and I'm missing it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Virgil Vox posted:

This looks straight amazing my dude.

it was pretty great. first weekend the road was open too and I didn’t have to shimmy under the gate :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mewse posted:

That's a great idea, cutting boards are usually delrin which is super tough

Most of them are HDPE, which is also very tough and like 1/4 the price of POM. if you know of a source for cheap delrin cutting boards, though, please tell me immediately cause drat.

Fun fact though: Bic lighters are made of delrin.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 28, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Rex is running again. Changed the o-ring in the petcock, finished the fuel line, checked for gas in the block (there was none), changed the oil, put the tank back on, tried to start the thing, remembered it needs choke, did that, and it turned over first crank. Then I ran it for fifteen minutes until the fan came on, to make sure there weren't any significant bubbles in the coolant lines. Then I put it away again, because there was a big snowstorm yesterday and I hadn't brought my gear down to my folks place where it's been all winter. But inshallah I'll be riding it later this week.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finally got it running good and safe enough (albeit pretty low on power) for actual rides.
So I changed the oil, lubed everything and generally just gave it service attention it hasn't had for a year. Plus new brake pads.

Then I wept in despair when I realised further tuning is impossible because the O2 sensor appears to have crapped out due to...not doing anything for two months? Anyway glad I got a rideable tune on there before that happened.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 4, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

puberty worked me over posted:

Is that your DIY EFI project? If so congratulations that is a huge achievement. Also that NGK spark plug dispenser is rad as hell and appears to be in excellent condition.

It is both those things, and also belonged to an English gent who closed his workshop so as to move back to the UK due to brexit reasons; I don't know why I think this is significant.

As to the bandit yeah, it's running a microsquirt on gsxr TB's. All that ugly wiring alongside and by the bars is wideband stuff that won't be there when it's road-legal. That NGK dispenser has seen like forty DR8EA's go through just for that bike (not to mention like four oil filters and a pail of 10w40) thanks to a long battle with constant super rich running. Recently I took apart the MS harness, fixed a bunch of mistakes the previous person made, put the intake air temp probe actually into the intake, added a MAP sensor and most importantly fixed the earthing scheme. The latter threw all the mapping out so lean that I had to stick a quick hand entered ultra-rich table on there just to get it running at all. Ironically now runs pretty much exactly like a factory bike - a little bit lean everywhere, annoying lean hole in the lower rpm (due to TB flow issues, not emissions) - and I can't fix it because my Linux machine containing the tuning software, calibration files etc has hosed out.

Linux is much, much harder than motorcycles.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Checked the valves on my fz6. All was within spec even after 37k miles. They should have been checked at 24k but PO hadn't. The full 24k service is an expensive service to get done since you gotta remove pretty much everything to get at them in the small frame so a lot of work hours, + the usual plugs, oil, filter, coolant.

It was about 7-8 hours of wrenching in total, but I took my time since I've not done valves on an inline 4 before.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
  • Cleaned and lubed my chain
  • Researched helicoil options for a stripped oil filter cover bolt
  • Noticed the nuts on my exhaust header pipe were loose, the collar was dangling and one nut was missing altogether
  • Stripped and cleaned my rear brake to hopefully correct the rubbing I've been noticing, went to bleed and wasn't building any noticeable pressure so I'm thinking I might have pushed the piston too far in
  • Need to order new axle blocks, current ones are cheap and not 100% to spec (too thin) so the axle nut reaches the end of the axle threads before all the play is removed

I've been making a list of things to tackle and I feel like every time I go to address one by one, I hear the laughter of the previous owner like a ghost in the night.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the stupid factory license plate garbage off the KTM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled all four plugs (one at a time, I'm not a psycho) to check for spark. They've all got it. Made a temp gas tank. Hooked it up, managed to get the fuel line onto the carb rack without pulling them which is a minor triumph in itself. Ran the bike, Cylinder 3 and 4 still cold. Cracked the float bowl drain on 4, there's definitely gas in there.

I'll have to wait until after my vacation to pull/inspect the carb rack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clogged pilot jets/passages on those two carbs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> What did you do to your ride today?

Bought it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGKTApMlF7g

2002 fz1

clean enough to eat off of, full maint records, never down, right price

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Today I identified the source of the horrible noises coming from between my feet: my chain was criminally slack and jumping around every time I slowed down. I'll tighten it up this afternoon but the front sprocket is already pretty dished out, not sure how much longer it'll keep.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

Bought it

2002 fz1

Noice!! I’ve always thought those were cool. Makes me nostalgic for my Bandit 1200

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
today I did more of that winding backwoods dirt road poo poo that I love. I did also have to ride on some 50-60mph blacktop. I love that less, though it's better on this Enfield than the old one, by a considerable margin. This bike will never see a freeway on ramp, but at least you don't feel like pieces are apt to start flying off > 50mph.

Only 1030 more miles until I'm allowed to ride at 60-75 per the manual, ha. Also, the Indian manual for this bike has a whole section about offroad handling. The American manual, which is otherwise largely similar, has a single page which says "do not operate this vehicle off road".

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 5, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was in India I saw these Kolkata Police enfields and I really really want one

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

Bought it

2002 fz1

Hell yeah. Do they make a round headlight kit for it? The fairing is probably really useful but that thing would look great with a round headlight imo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Bought it

2002 fz1

Steel frame fizz, the best kind!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Did a small trip through the city, mainly to beer shop. Traffic wasn't too bad for a sunny Sunday.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finished setting the chain tension. That's all I did but nothing broke and it wasn't an unreasonable struggle and it was easy to count out the adjuster nut turns to keep everything straight, so I feel unreasonably accomplished.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Fixed my rear brake. I had accidentally pushed the piston too far into the caliper and bleeding wouldn't push it out. Used some air to pop it out. I took it completely apart, pulled the piston out, removed the O rings, cleaned the poo poo out of everything. It works great now. Also did a DIY vacuum bleeder using a rubber hose and a spray bottle sprayer.

Replaced some exhaust flange nuts, tightened up the exhaust collar.

I think I'm going to try and tackle a fork rebuild/fork seals sometime soon. They had minor leaks at the end of last year and now they're leaking pretty good. I've done the trick where you scrape the inside of the seals with a piece of plastic to remove debis but I think they just need to be replaced.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Verman posted:

Also did a DIY vacuum bleeder using a rubber hose and a spray bottle sprayer.

That sucks

quote:

I think I'm going to try and tackle a fork rebuild/fork seals sometime soon. They had minor leaks at the end of last year and now they're leaking pretty good. I've done the trick where you scrape the inside of the seals with a piece of plastic to remove debis but I think they just need to be replaced.

It took me months to do mine because I was intimidated but it turned out my forks don't even have the inner bushings that make most of them a little tricky. Was pretty easy in the end.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 4, 2020

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
2001 DRZ400SM conversion, hell week: new rear sprocket, running 15/41 now down from 15/44. Don't really feel any loss in power CUZ IT'S A DRZ but it cruises much easier, and that's what I need out of it right now. New chain. I made a rivet link tool from a youtube video and then used a clip link anyways because :effort:. Put at least one poo poo cruiser knockoff mirror on so it could be considered road legal again. New $40 Coleman saddlebags. Heated grips; 3 months too late to be of any use. Still haven't hosed with the suspension at all.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I test rode the Green (KDX 220R) and Blue ('03 SV650) turds in anticipation of selling them.

I am going to miss the poo poo out of my SV, I think it's still my favorite biek of all time, but I don't have the space for four motorcycles, I took a long weekend vacation in NYC and got random offers from coworkers on both of them on the train from the airport :smithcloud:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a neat little delrin quick-disconnect from McMaster to splice into the Rex's fuel line, so I can stop bitching about that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

puberty worked me over posted:

trip report on wally world cutting board HPDE skid plate: slides over rocks and logs real good A+ would recommend

Awesome because I have a couple of those boards I got from HomeGoods for like $5 each. Now I know what to do with them when they get gross.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
“Well my DRZ is jetted poorly but it runs I’ll get to it eventually.”
“You know I’ll start with just cleaning the carb out and go from there, I’ve got all weekend.”
30 minutes of cleaning later, and it starts idles and runs so much smoother.

I’m gonna say that it still pops a little on decel, but nowhere nearly as bad as it used to. I think it only sat for three months or so, maybe four, and there was already a ton of varnish in the float bowl and stuck to the gasket. I didn’t intend for it to sit around, but hey I also didn’t intend to get divorced and haul the loving thing across the country back to Michigan, so Stabil wasn’t really on my mind.

Also this week, heated grips from Bikemaster. Throttle side grip didn’t work out of the box, the replacement is on its way. An Amazon reviewer who clearly never tried Oxfords said they were equivalent. No. Saddle bags from Coleman. Big Gun exhaust lived up to its name and blew a hole in one of the bags day one. Mirrors and levers to update and fix what I broke from exuberant trail riding in the Arizona desert. Also put spoke skins on my SM wheels just because I really wanted something mind numbing to distract myself for a couple hours. I should dig up some pics from when I bought the DRZ and post them side by side with how it looks today. Radically different bike.

I no longer own a KTM 990 SMT. I’m not entirely sure I miss owning it. I definitely miss riding it, for the kind of riding that sucks (highway). Where I’m at though on I-94, I don’t want to touch highway riding with anything less armored than a tank.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I cleaned all the lovely winter grime out of my brake bobbins and tightened up a few spokes for the first time since buying the thing 😰

pretty sure I’m gonna buy another rear shinko before my ride to banff. I’ve got about a little over 7k mi on these so we’ll see

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Got the Husky dirty on a KDX "test ride" for 25 miles through the woods and mud, the KDX decided to punch me in the balls one last time, and somehow break its stop switch, and jam the float valve open on the trip from my house to the forest, peeing a gallon of premix all over my and it's new owners legs, and requiring repair. It left with its new owner.

I also rode my SV650 to its new forever home, I'm gonna miss the poo poo out of this bike, and its peppy little engine and wonderful growly exhaust note. :(

The fleet is down to a sane level again, I think I'll avoid any more major motorcycle related changes this year. This husky is so loving good it defies description, I got a deal on a pair if Warp 9 rims that I'm picking up tomorrow morning, I'm thinking Sumo set and dirt set? What say y'all?

E: also, the DOT knobbies do WAY better when aired down to dirt bike pressures, almost night-and-day difference.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 12, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

I'm thinking Sumo set and dirt set? What say y'all?

That’s dumb, why would anyone ever do that OF COURSE DO THAT YA DINGDONG

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
On Friday I had to bring my BMW F800ST in for it's biannual Swiss vehicle inspection. I wasn't sure what to expect but I had heard horror stories about how strict and thorough the inspections can be. I just had the annual service done so I wasn't too nervous. The canton I live in has a huge complex and test track where the inspections are done. They did the following:

- Measure and adjust the angle of the headlight. The inspector even jumped on the back of my bike to see how the angle changed with a passenger.
- Tested the lights, horn, kill switch, kick stand sensor.
- Tested the suspension.
- They put it on a lift and did an inspection of all brake lines, looked for oil leaks, measured the thickness of the brake pads and discs.
- The inspector took it on the test track for two laps where he tested the ABS, linked brakes, and other stuff.

I was relieved to be given a "tip top" rating. There was a guy there with a modified Harley Davidson. They told him he was missing reflectors and wouldn't pass his bike until he installed them. For the equivalent of $65, it actually seems like a valuable service.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

No poo poo, that's kinda awesome.

I certainly hope that your registration says that the bike is "Tip Top" somewhere.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Elviscat posted:

No poo poo, that's kinda awesome.

I certainly hope that your registration says that the bike is "Tip Top" somewhere.

Unfortunately there is just a stamp that says “Passed” on my registration. Nonetheless, it felt good to pass inspection after seeing so many other motorcycles failing. There was a beautiful 1970’s era Kawasaki KZ250 waiting for its inspection. The cam chain and/or clutch rattle made it sound like a box of rocks being shaken. I am curious what the inspector would say...

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

drat, that's a real inspection. I just registered and inspected my DRZ in New Hampshire this week. The inspector stuck it on a lift, checked chain tension, beeped the horn, maybe checked the lights worked, and sent me on my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah I think vehicle inspections in the states really come down to "Do I trust the shop doing the inspection" because I'd wager in most cases they do the above, maybe, and slap a sticker on it.

Unfortunately (most?) states mandate the cost of an inspection (NY tells mechanics they can only charge $6 for motorcycles) so most places want that poo poo out of the shop ASAP because its a huge money loss on their techs time. Even worse (better?) for bikes is theres no electronic emissions testing so its absolutely "Did the shop give a poo poo?"

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 12, 2019