Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i am a native speaker who loves puzzles and i can never make sense of a cryptic crossword. i know i should have somebody teach me how to do them but after seeing them for decades you'd think i could maybe solve one clue, ever

cryptocurrency dog almost gets round in (7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hmm, there are lots that end in "coin", but i can't actually think of any 7-letter ones that have "in" in the middle of the word.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

every landlord ive had, good or bad, has straight up told me that half the stuff in their leases is from personal experience.

see also every half-hazard sign in a small business.

“IF YOUR DOG EATS A CHOCOLATE YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT”

you know some sneaky little bastard collie snacked on a truffle at some point in the past

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Jabor posted:

hmm, there are lots that end in "coin"
yup

quote:

but i can't actually think of any 7-letter ones
huh?

quote:

that have "in" in the middle of the word
oh, fair enough. where is it more common to find the word "in"?

another clue, maybe with fewer red herrings than the last one:
Bruce initially added two security measures to buzzword technology (10)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"büttecoiin"?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Weatherman posted:

"büttecoiin"?

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Luccio [score hidden] 4 minutes ago

If these are the services of your Bank, then by all means, get bitcoin and after closing your account. Your money is better in Bitcoin than in a Bank. Did they not swap out the Rupee on you guys at one point.

India has the population to change the direction of the BTC boat and the needs of the masses can easily cater to this move. Its just that America is not done making its money with BTC yet, that the politics keep you under a fear driven control.

They know the population of India can make a significant change, this is why they will close up the account of anyone. Relax my friend, whether you like it or not, you will all Bitcoin, because your bank is going to close up anyways!

The world is moving to Bank the unBanked, and into a paperless monetary system, and a One World Currency Unit.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The internet would be significantly less saturated and toxic if things were financed by a pay-what-you-use model; Bitcoin's Lightning Network facilitates that. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 2 hours ago by ScienceRecruit

The world is bloated with ads, trolls, F grade content, etc. For me, surfing the web, for example, has been way less satisfactory compared to 15 years ago; both content and community wise. It's become way more addictive, but it's way less worthwhile. Some solutions are using moderators or subscription models. But a far simpler solution would be the requirement to pay x cents to comment, or y cents to upload an image, or z cents to play for some time. I think it will make people a lot more conscious about what they are doing and producing. We should stop expecting everything for free while our data is being used for targeted manipulative ads. Why do people easily pay $2.50 for coffee, but reluctantly pay $1, once, for services they use constantly. Storing files, developing and maintaining websites, etc. all cost time and thus, money.

I also think this pay-what-you-use model is more accessible and logical than subscription models, or paying for a game once. I don't like to pay a recurring fixed sum of money for a service I don't use for a fixed amount of time. Nor do I want to buy $10 worth of tokens that can only be used on one service.

Bitcoin's Lightning Network finally enables such cheap almost instantaneous transactions on everything. The internet would have its own economy where filtering of bullshit will happen through supply and demand, and will not require everyone to waste time on discerning what's bullshit and what's not.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Satoshi Nakamoto is an homage to WWII heroes of cryptography. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 28 minutes ago by fried-raptorredditor for 2 weeks

By coincidence the meaning of Satoshi Nakamoto suddenly made sense to me, when seen in the light of scientific discovery and the history of human invention.

All of this is purely reasoning based on the philosophic traits of bitcoin rather than its technical features. To create such a marvellous invention, one must obviously wield strong technical skills. But at least as important are certain philosophical views to even attempt such an undertaking way ahead of one's time.

Throughout the history of human invention, there are evolutionary paths where people followed and improved upon the work of others. However there are also inventors like Darwin, Lovelace, Tesla or Einstein, which seem to have an almost magical ability to reach deep into the unknown. And they discover something which is so far ahead of their time that it seems unnatural to most.

Why it is unlikely to completely understand the thought process of geniuses, there are certain characteristics which all of these men and women have in common. First, they have a deep obsession with their field of expertise. But they also have a deep emotional relation to the people who inspired them to enter their field in the first place. For Einstein this was among others Max Planck, for Darwin the geologist Lyell etc. And it is well understood that those geniuses paid tribute to their heroes and mentors throughout their lives.

To invent bitcoin we have to assume a deep fascination with cryptography, it's history and heroes. So we are looking for a historic link between Satoshi's name, which is from Japan, and his presumed location, which is within the US. The cryptographic history that links Japan and the US took place during World War II. In 1942, a young group of cryptographers invented an unbreakable code that won the war, which may have inspired bitcoin's ambition to create an unbreakable protocol. In fact, the code invented by this group of people was the only military code that had never been broken. They were were named the "code talkers". In 2001, George W. Bush honoured 21 of these code talkers. Satoshi pays tribute with 21 million bitcoin. Those honoured code talkers were a group of Indians (Native Americans) who call themselves Sons of Navajo, and they were vital for the victory over the Japanese. If we were to encode Sons of Navajo with the language of their former enemies, we would receive Satoshi of Nakamoto.

As respectful human beings, we pay tribute to those who came before us. Or as Isaac Newton said in 1675: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." I hope we established that Satoshi Nakamoto is spiritually and potentially even genetically related to his heroes, who ever they may be.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

ok, I swear, these are the last two clues

Git on HN rambling about what Mark did wrong? (7)
Mt Gox mastermind bewildered Ben & Tina (7)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
rear end in a top hat company one points to some bullshit (9)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Bitcoin just went from $5,656 to $7,581 in four days - a rise of nearly two thousand dollars. This time around, there's near-zero mainstream media interest. I've had no calls or emails asking why - though every goddamn time the price bobbled $100 in the past year, they were asking.

like, I'm seeing a ton of Bitcoin price rise coverage in the crypto press - but not in the wider world. Google News seems to show this too - it's all crypto press, no mainstream interest.

there's actual reasons, too, and they're an interesting story!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

divabot posted:

Bitcoin just went from $5,656 to $7,581 in four days - a rise of nearly two thousand dollars. This time around, there's near-zero mainstream media interest. I've had no calls or emails asking why - though every goddamn time the price bobbled $100 in the past year, they were asking.

like, I'm seeing a ton of Bitcoin price rise coverage in the crypto press - but not in the wider world. Google News seems to show this too - it's all crypto press, no mainstream interest.

Is it price manipulation? I bet it's price manipulation

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

orange juche posted:

Is it price manipulation? I bet it's price manipulation

completely organic

people just uh like bitcoins more this week

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My buttcoins are fair trade certified

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

divabot posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

divabot posted:

do I need to send bitcoin to a particular address to get the full story?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Hammerite posted:

rear end in a top hat company one points to some bullshit (9)

has anyone said buttcoins yet?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Morgan Creek Capital Management CEO: Bitcoin Price Could Go As High As $400,000

Siamak Masnavi 

/ 11 May 2019 / In Bitcoin

On Thursday (May 9), Mark Yusko , the Founder, CEO and Chief Investment Officer of Morgan Creek Capital Management , talked about Bitcoin, and in particular, gave his prediction for the Bitcoin (BTC) price.

Yusko's comments about Bitcoin during an interview with news anchor Layah Heilpern on BloxLive TV .

The Security Breach at Binance (Announced on May 8) and Possible Impact on the Bitcoin Price

Yusko explained that the theft of over 7000 BTC from Binance's Bitcoin hot wallet only serves to "confirm" Bitcoin's "value thesis" since people generally "don't steal things that don't have value."

Also, he said that this attack points out the need for crypto insurance ("kind of like the FDIC in banking); in the case of this incident, for example, Binance's Secure Asset Fund for Users (SAFU) was able to come to the rescue and save Binance users whose accounts where comprised from financial losses.

Furthermore, Yusko noted that just because banks and people get robbed all the time, it does not mean we should stop using money, and so we should not worry too much about any critics that might use this incident to argue that people should not use crypto because it's not safe.

Future Price of Bitcoin

Heilpern also wanted to ask Yusko to talk more about his prediction (last made during an interview in April with Bitcoin Magazine NL) that one bitcoin could one day in the future be worth as much as $400,000.

Yusko explained that what he meant that in those previous interviews where he talked about the future price of Bitcoin was that if you see Bitcoin as digital gold, since gold has a market cap of around $7.4 trillion, then if Bitcoin one day replaces gold (since it has several advantages over gold, some of which Grayscale Investments has been talking about recently as part of its #DropGold capaign), by dividing $7.4 trillion by 21 million (Bitcoin's total supply), we end up with a future value of around $400,000 for one BTC (of course, the actual result is $352,380 if the number of bitcoins currently in circulation was exactly 21 million, but in reality, it is less than that, and so, Yusko is correct to round up to $400,000 or $500,000).

When will this happen? He is not exactly sure, but he believes it could happen within a decade.

He went on to say that over time, "more people will come into the network" and "more users will use the product."

He also explained that the spot price of Bitcoin is a "liar" since it does not represent Bitcoin's value, and that instead, Bitcoin's value comes from "the number of users on the network" and "the amount of capital that comes in and converts from fiat." This is why his company remains bullish on Bitcoin and crypto in general.

LMAO buttcoins insurance, crazy butters are able to spin binance stealing from their tether assets to hide that someone hacked them as a positive

Also "people don't steal things that don't have value" of course they do it's just that butts are easy to steal because the entire premise of crypto currency makes it easy to steal or lose.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It costs 400,000 dollars to fire this bitcoin for 12 seconds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My mate who works for that crypto microlending company found out that the company is folding soon. Literally popped in to work on Saturday to pick something up before holidays, only to find a note there saying 'office to let'.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

If we were to encode Sons of Navajo with the language of their former enemies, we would receive Satoshi of Nakamoto.

yeah and at the same time satoshi is also the japanese word for ash

:psyduck:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

:wrong: i heard from my mother that there was some news headline about bitcoin doing something i don't know she didn't read it

MASS ADOPTION!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

yeah and at the same time satoshi is also the japanese word for rear end

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

EorayMel posted:

It costs 400,000 dollars to fire this bitcoin for 12 seconds

his gun isn't even that good he's getting ripped off imho

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
i thought about posting this in the hn thread, but i figured the people here would appreciate it more. there's a story on the hn front page right now about how the price of bitcoin is mooning and i replied saying it was probably people trying to dump tethers before they became completely worthless. in response to that i got this:

quote:

verroq 1 hour ago [-]

It is rare that I read a HN comment that just get it completely, outright wrong.

After the Tether news came out. USDT/USD dropped to around 0.97 which is around a 3% discount. The Bitcoin price on Bitfinex had an additional 4% premium, which is what the market has priced the exchange risk to be. [1]

If people wanted to get out of Bitfinex, they had ample time to buy BTC and get out. They can also withdraw USDT to binance, and exchange for BTC on another USDT exchange, such as Binance. In fact, the price had been relatively flat for 5 days after Tether news. If you thought Tether or Bitfinex was insolvent, I doubt very much you'd wait 5 days to make your move. So in fact, this did not cause a run up.

There is no reason why Tether being only 70% backed would cause "a run on Tether exchanges" (what does that sentence even mean?). The truth is, people don't really care if Tether is only 70% backed. Bitfinex makes enough money to cover the shortfall easily. The largest community of Tether holders are not westerners. They are Chinese, they hold USDT to get RMB out of China, they absolutely love Tether. Tether traded at a premium to USD before, during and after the USAG news came out on Chinese OTC exchanges. Bitfinex easily fundraised 1b USD from big Chinese players with the LEO token in about a week.

The market had already decided that the Tether news as a nothingburger. After a slew of bad news "China mining ban", "Tether", "Binance hack", the price continued to run up. When a market discounts bad news like this, it means a fundamental shift occurred, the weak hands who did not believe in the core value of Bitcoin has exited the market and the market is free to move up.

There is a lot of salt about Bitcoin on HN, many missed the run from $10 to $1k, many more missed the run from $200 to $20k, Bitcoin is at a cusp of a run from $3k to ??? and HN will tell you everything to not get on the train.

[1] https://i.imgur.com/MC4obep.png

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 12, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

You know who else put people on a train

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

i thought about posting this in the hn thread, but i figured the people here would appreciate it more. there's a story on the hn front page right now about how the price of bitcoin is mooning and i replied saying it was probably people trying to dump tethers before they became completely worthless. in response to that i got this:

link?

gschmidl posted:

You know who else put people on a train

dorian nakamoto

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

...! posted:

link?

dorian nakamoto

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19891243

it looks like it dropped off the front page because hn heavily penalizes posts that get more comments than upvotes.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

orange juche posted:

Morgan Creek Capital Management CEO: Bitcoin Price Could Go As High As $400,000

these guys manage money for large institutional investors and if I was a large institutional investor I’d pull my investments with them. you can’t just go around saying this poo poo and expect people to respect your investment acumen.

hell there’s a nonzero chance some of your money is indirectly with them (like in a state retirement fund/company pension etc), and I’d want to know what in the gently caress it’s still doing there if you can liquidate that investment (admittedly it’s probably locked up in a partnership interest that has no secondary market but still).

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I know I said I was done with cryptic crypto clues, but I got another one I'm proud of so gently caress it

I mute her after digestion system producing gas (8)

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 12, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jabor posted:

hmm, there are lots that end in "coin", but i can't actually think of any 7-letter ones that have "in" in the middle of the word.

coincel?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Heavy_D posted:

I know I said I was done with cryptic crypto clues, but I got another one I'm proud of so gently caress it

I mute her after digestion system producing gas (9)

(8)???

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Perhaps Bitcoin is the resting-place of money, it's said (14)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Heavy_D posted:

ok, I swear, these are the last two clues

Git on HN rambling about what Mark did wrong? (7)
Mt Gox mastermind bewildered Ben & Tina (7)

ok i got these two. "nothing" and "tibanne"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Heavy_D posted:

I mute her after digestion system producing gas (9)

"amethyst" but that's only 8

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Weatherman posted:

ok i got these two. "nothing" and "tibanne"
yup!

Weatherman posted:

"amethyst" but that's only 8

that's a typo, it should be (8), but it's not amethyst...

Hammerite posted:

Perhaps Bitcoin is the resting-place of money, it's said (14)
is it crypt o'currency?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

drat y'all are some nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yospos is a nerd free zone