Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ramadu posted:

i just got a ds and the last pokemon i played were the leaf green and ruby red games. whats the cool new ones to get on the 3ds

Get Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ramadu posted:

i just got a ds and the last pokemon i played were the leaf green and ruby red games. whats the cool new ones to get on the 3ds

As somebody that didn't play since G/S:
Get US/Um cause it's literally the max hype version of what young you wanted out of a Pokemon game.
Pick up ORAS after cause they are fun and rain rares on you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Black and White are my favorite entries and their speed in battles + pixel art are unmatched by the newer games.

Then get sun/moon or ultra

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon sequels or remakes to Sun and Moon?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

They’re updated rereleases.

Can Dunsparce drink alcohol?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon sequels or remakes to Sun and Moon?

Upgrades with some changed plot

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RatHat posted:

Singer, Wrestler, and...Archer?

Archery, throwing knives, and swords. You’ve probably seen acts where the performer shows off his/her skills using those kind of things. It’s less obvious, but it does kind of work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I never thought a Pokemon game could have a bad camera. But this fake rear end Paris is a nightmare.

I also miss having a map on the bottom screen. That was good in Alpha Sapphire, why'd they get rid of it?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

X & Y were the first released games of Gen 6 while Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were release a year and a half later.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

fake paris is fine, it has better controls than resident evil four.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I forgot how bad fake paris is. So bad in fact, that it looked like a nightmareish hall of mirrors of bad camera angles back in its first reveal even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGs_F-jTCPU

Ultra sun/moon is a rerelease of Sun and Moon with changed plot at the end and a post-game dungeon. But the very start of the game is also streamlined because original Sun and Moon had like twenty minutes from starting a new save to even picking your starter.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I like the town of trainspotters in Unova :3:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Farecoal posted:

I like the town of trainspotters in Unova :3:

First time I visited, I think I left the DS on just playing the flute tune for about ten minutes.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Saoshyant posted:

First time I visited, I think I left the DS on just playing the flute tune for about ten minutes.

I loved that little detail in the Unova games where the town themes are variable if you go close to a musician NPC, but my favorite area that does this is the Village Bridge. It leaves quite an impression. Most of the bridges in the game seem to.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Black and White are my favorite entries and their speed in battles + pixel art are unmatched by the newer games.

Then get sun/moon or ultra

the gen 5 animations are a crime

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

oddium posted:

the gen 5 animations are a crime

actually just saw scraggy pull his pants (???) up and stick his arms up, A++

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

So I just got some codes for the zeraora thing thrown in my bag, but apparently they only work in USM. I'm pretty taken by the hype generated by detective pikachu right now and I'd be happy to dive into another pokemon game, but are Ultra SM going to be any good to someone who didn't like regular Sun/ Moon that much? It's mainly the amount and the length of the cutscenes that really got to me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah if the amount of cutscenes bothered you then USUM isn't gonna help.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Brick Shipment posted:

So I just got some codes for the zeraora thing thrown in my bag, but apparently they only work in USM. I'm pretty taken by the hype generated by detective pikachu right now and I'd be happy to dive into another pokemon game, but are Ultra SM going to be any good to someone who didn't like regular Sun/ Moon that much? It's mainly the amount and the length of the cutscenes that really got to me.

Some of the events got streamlined but it mostly follows the same Sun/Moon story through the 3rd island. It's pretty much a 3rd version split in two but instead of replacing the Sun/Moon events it's an alternate dimension.

Anyways I finally got around to charging my second Switch so I could claim another Shiny Pikachu/Eevee but it wants me to sign in to Nintendo Online so
U9014m82HYCU66RY (North America version?)

Dehry fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 12, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I just learned about the move Wide Guard. How is this move not broken as gently caress in doubles/triples? Can't you just have your 2 Pokemon alternate using it to be immune forever?

EDIT: Oh it only protects against multi-target attacks. That's fine then.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 12, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I never thought a Pokemon game could have a bad camera. But this fake rear end Paris is a nightmare.

I also miss having a map on the bottom screen. That was good in Alpha Sapphire, why'd they get rid of it?

They can't get rid of something that didn't exist yet

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bring 👏 back 👏 poketch 👏

and dexnav

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only problem now is that Switch doesn't have a 2nd screen so I don't know how Dexnav would work there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I forgot how bad fake paris is. So bad in fact, that it looked like a nightmareish hall of mirrors of bad camera angles back in its first reveal even
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGs_F-jTCPU

Ultra sun/moon is a rerelease of Sun and Moon with changed plot at the end and a post-game dungeon. But the very start of the game is also streamlined because original Sun and Moon had like twenty minutes from starting a new save to even picking your starter.

It's funny how much more organic the cities and towns in SuMo/USUM feel now. It has the "random NPCs" of Gen 5, but they're also walking much slower and varied models.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

iospace posted:

It's funny how much more organic the cities and towns in SuMo/USUM feel now. It has the "random NPCs" of Gen 5, but they're also walking much slower and varied models.

There's still the housing crisis, like in every game. As well as a lack of beds.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just started the Battle Frontier arc in the anime. Ash has just made a fool of himself in front of Agatha by forgetting that Normal-type moves don't work on Ghost-types - which is understandable, since Glalie's Headbutt worked just fine on a Misdreavus a couple episodes ago...

The Hoenn League tournament was good, though, a couple moments like that aside. Katie using games-style tactics was especially cool.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 12, 2019

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

oddium posted:

bring 👏 back 👏 poketch 👏

:haibrow:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I remember raising a riolu in X and then feeling really bad when Korrina just straight up gives you a Lucario because I wound up boxing it since my Lucario was much better trained and raised

If you're going to give out pokemon for free, maybe try not having them on one of the earliest routes in the games?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, the Team Rocket trio's new motto sounds more like a Team Galactic motto than a Team Rocket one. (Team Rocket is just a human organized crime syndicate, with no connection to "an evil as old as the galaxy.") But Team Rocket's motto has never made much sense to begin with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why doesn’t Giovanni have a Bay Ridge/Little Italy accent in the anime

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jesse and James learned it wrong, that's why it doesn't make any sense, Butch and Cassidy's is the correct version.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

indigi posted:

why doesn’t Giovanni have a Bay Ridge/Little Italy accent in the anime

Probably because he’s meant to be a serious character. 4Kids gave characters like Meowth accents mainly for comedic effect, I think.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, she is in our title, I think this should be posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6uc9h0F8i4

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Silver2195 posted:

Probably because he’s meant to be a serious character. 4Kids gave characters like Meowth accents mainly for comedic effect, I think.

yeah but his name’s Giovanni and he’s a crime boss. it doesn’t have to be Serpico, but it’d make more sense than whatever he’s doing now

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

oddium posted:

bring 👏 back 👏 poketch 👏

and dexnav

I never got into poketch. So many of the apps seemed useless to me.

Dexnav is a gift from Arceus itself.

Also:

Nth Doctor posted:

Does anyone have a good way to convert .pk7 pokemon to .pk4?
PKHeX won't do it for me, and all of the pk4's I generated using pk2pk are rejected by PKHeX as being pk5's despite the pk4 vs. pk5 files for the same pokemon having different md5 checksums.
I just want to backport my living dex into all of my old games, too.

I figured this out. The Homebrew app PKSM has an on-card Pokemon Bank-alike with up to 2000 boxes worth of space. And it lets you time capsule Pokemon down to any Gen IV-VII game. Probably works with the VC gen I and II games too.

The prompts are just a little weird so I didn't understand that not saving changes to storage when exiting means that anything you took out of storage and put on your game gets cloned if you save your game when exiting.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I remember raising a riolu in X and then feeling really bad when Korrina just straight up gives you a Lucario because I wound up boxing it since my Lucario was much better trained and raised

If you're going to give out pokemon for free, maybe try not having them on one of the earliest routes in the games?

Yeah same. I actually hate it when the game guilts you into running with a particular pokemon. One of my problems with X& Y is they literally handed you pokemon half the time and it was like, most of my enjoyment comes from wandering around exploring and finding new ones. I really don't need my hand held here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Honestly I was eye-rolling pretty hard through the whole mega evolution thing with the Lucarios, which is weird because Y was my first pokemon game and for the most part I genuinely like XY even though I'll concede it's mostly my own brand of nostalgia goggles. So I was quite happy to box the Lucario once I got it.

Interestingly you also get a free Lapras afterwards because that's when you get the Surf HM and we can't possibly have a situation where none of the player's pokemon can learn Surf (tbf Surf is mandatory to progress here and funnily enough the only mandatory HM in XY). I ended up using the Lapras in the scratchbuilt team I made for the E4 rematch (because my main team was horribly, hilariously overlevelled).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Zuzie posted:

I loved that little detail in the Unova games where the town themes are variable if you go close to a musician NPC, but my favorite area that does this is the Village Bridge. It leaves quite an impression. Most of the bridges in the game seem to.

Didn’t B/W have the Victory Road feature where the first time you go through it the music slowly builds up instrument by instrument as you go through each gate, until the full music is playing?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Zaroff posted:

Didn’t B/W have the Victory Road feature where the first time you go through it the music slowly builds up instrument by instrument as you go through each gate, until the full music is playing?

Yeah, it's a really cool setpiece and I was super bummed that the sequel cut both it and Route 10's music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Just got back from Detective Pikachu. Oh my god so loving good. :swoon: It was exactly what I wanted!

I immediately went and downloaded the game, as well, because I need more Det. Pikachu in my life right now!