Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
blazor running both client and server side and using websockets is extremely ew to me and i don't trust it

where's the zeitgeist at wrt thin vs thick clients? i don't know what's cool any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Major Blazor

M31
Jun 12, 2012

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

redleader posted:

blazor running both client and server side and using websockets is extremely ew to me and i don't trust it

where's the zeitgeist at wrt thin vs thick clients? i don't know what's cool any more
we used to have thick clients but then we hated that since it's a pain in the rear end to have a huge payload roundtrip for every button click

so we moved to thin clients which means you first have to download a lightweight 12mb of minified js *before* you can click a button

now we're back to thick clients again. let's hope your backend is always up, otherwise no clicking may take place

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

this but amber

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sagacity posted:

so we moved to thin clients which means you first have to download a lightweight 12mb of minified js *before* you can click a button

but officer, I gzipped my brotli

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

tHe aVerAGe WEB pAGE iS nOW lARGER than ThE oriGinaL doOM

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

oooh, you want to be careful about bringing hot takes like this into the pl thread, which is well known for its uncompromising love of the modern internet

sorry, let me try again:

the modern web has freed the application from the tyranny of the operating system

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

and delivered it straight to the hands of the advertisers

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
user metrics, telemetry, and targeted advertising are all the same regardless of whether they're for a desktop, mobile, or web app hth

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i got a thicc client right here *points to self*

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
even if blazor almost never gets used to actually make web apps go, I am happy about its applications in implementing interactive C# snippets in blog posts, "learn dotnet" websites and "experiment with this library within the browser" for nuget.

mystes
May 31, 2006

brap posted:

even if blazor almost never gets used to actually make web apps go, I am happy about its applications in implementing interactive C# snippets in blog posts, "learn dotnet" websites and "experiment with this library within the browser" for nuget.
Just go back in time 10 years and use all the .net repl stuff people implemented in silverlight.

There's probably still an fsharp site lying around somewhere desperately trying to load the silverlight plugin.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

cant spell 'doom' without 'dom'

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
hey guys are there deece print professional journals to subscribe to? I'm feeling the need to get some exposure to new concepts outside my direct job duties and I hate reading papers on a screen.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Blinkz0rz posted:

user metrics, telemetry, and targeted advertising are all the same regardless of whether they're for a desktop, mobile, or web app hth

The Windows 10 Story

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

hey guys are there deece print professional journals to subscribe to? I'm feeling the need to get some exposure to new concepts outside my direct job duties and I hate reading papers on a screen.

buy a printer and use Sci hub

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i remember reading some good articles on https://pragprog.com/magazines but idk if they even print (does anyone??)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

sorry, let me try again:

the modern web has freed the application from the tyranny of the operating system

i like the positivity and optimism in your reformulation

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

gonna repost the website obesity crisis because it is v entertaining

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ACM has good journals and will let you subscribe to them in print still

animist
Aug 28, 2018

i just skim the morning paper blog and sci-hub the papers if they sound interesting

its written by a vc ghoul but is pretty adequate content-wise

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

like I just got a couple of VAX/VMS Consolidated Distribution packages and one of the layered products is a PostScript renderer that outputs sixel graphics for the DEC VT240 graphic terminal

Thats 'fancy high end' though, in a context where we are discussing GDI on Windows.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
are we await yet?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
rust is just proof that even the best programming language is extremely bad

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
no idea what's going on

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

jeffery posted:

no idea what's going on

the most awaited programming feature in rust history is being blocked by extremely unimportant last minute syntax bike shedding

in other words, everything is normal

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2019

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
can an administrator bot terminate a master-program?

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
can an administrator bot self-authorize the administration of designer drugs to itself?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the most awaited programming feature in rust history is being blocked by extremely unimportant last minute syntax bike shedding

in other words, everything is normal

never respond to jeffery, who is either a bot or a moronic white noise troll

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
A horrifying globalThis polyfill in universal JavaScript

:psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I think IntelliJ is having a stroke.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

https://github.com/tc39/proposal-global/issues/46
Document use cases for wanting to access the global `this`

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol javascript is loving cursed

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
this link about javascript falsey-ness popped up in one of my feeds: https://www.telerik.com/blogs/lets-talk-javascript-falsey

nothing i didn't already know, but the fact that these types of blog posts can still be made in 2019 made me realize that javascript's real killer feature is its ability to create a never ending supply of programming blog topics

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Plank Walker posted:

javascript's real killer feature is its ability to create a never ending supply of programming blog topics

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Plank Walker posted:

this link about javascript falsey-ness popped up in one of my feeds: https://www.telerik.com/blogs/lets-talk-javascript-falsey

nothing i didn't already know, but the fact that these types of blog posts can still be made in 2019 made me realize that javascript's real killer feature is its ability to create a never ending supply of programming blog topics

haskell's "monads: values in burritos" blogposts were like a tsunami

javascript's "weird language features you must (or must not!!!) use" blogposts are like rising seas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

who even loving cares about this? not once in the article did i see any motivation for actually wanting this feature.

at least haskell's intellectual masturbation involves learning some interesting math and poo poo; this here seems a complete waste of brain power