Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Communist Bear posted:

This is just so so superior in terms of quality. It achieves better writing and acting in 9 minutes than Game of Thrones has ever achieved in 8 seasons.

RIP Rome.

I'm disappointed that James Purefoy didn't show up on GoT.

Maybe as a nude extra cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Arya’s cold methodical unexpressive speech is nails on a chalkboard to me. She spent a semester at Assassin College and the show portrays her as an emotionless expert. GRRM should have kept the time skip, things like this make no sense without it. The only thing I can think of that it would hurt is the Others threat- five years is a long time for an army to walk and still seem threatening.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

etalian posted:

I'm disappointed that James Purefoy didn't show up on GoT.

Maybe as a nude extra cameo.

As someone mentioned pages back, Kevin McKidd and James Purefoy both said they wouldn't take roles on Game of Thrones even if asked, because they both feel that HBO hosed over Rome unfairly while they dumped everything they had into GOT.

Burns
May 10, 2008

And the actors from Rome that did show up went immediatly into the dumpster bin.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Arya’s cold methodical unexpressive speech is nails on a chalkboard to me. She spent a semester at Assassin College and the show portrays her as an emotionless expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNT9Fq6xqwc

she's the waif

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

why not after? The faceless men are supposed to be true to their characters.

Arya never banged Gendry. Gendry wasn't acting like he had any expectation of banging Arya. True to character would be Arya quietly being into him while he doesn't notice. It's not like they ever declared their affection for one another at any point in their short history together. Also, since Arya is technically on paper a Lady of Winterfell, it's outside of her perceived role to bang a blacksmith. If they were already banging? Sure, makes sense. Never banged before, never made plans to bang, never expressed a desire to bang? Nope, you're at risk of breaking the disguise.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

Arya never banged Gendry. Gendry wasn't acting like he had any expectation of banging Arya. True to character would be Arya quietly being into him while he doesn't notice. It's not like they ever declared their affection for one another at any point in their short history together. Also, since Arya is technically on paper a Lady of Winterfell, it's outside of her perceived role to bang a blacksmith. If they were already banging? Sure, makes sense. Never banged before, never made plans to bang, never expressed a desire to bang? Nope, you're at risk of breaking the disguise.

we worked this out a few pages ago, she needed the baratheon cum to sneak up on the nk. it's the death cult version of melisandre's ghost baby

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 12, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

^^^^ Read that as bathroom cum at first

This would redeem the entire show to me but the waif is definitely Urine

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arya was my favorite character and now they made her into a terminator and it sucks. Basically it's like she rejected becoming No One to be Arya Stark, but just keeps acting like No One. The stupid waif theory would make sense if she didn't kill the Night King.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jon could never have killed the nk without gendry's cum inside him

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
the problem with all these long theories is they always imply benioff and weiss to be smart enough to invent them and follow any kind of consistency when it should be crystal clear to everybody watching 5-8 that they are absolute loving morons

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would also require it to be spelled out precisely by gurm to be an end game conclusion. You can tell who they have endings for and who they don't. If they don't they just move to the side of the story (Sam, Davos, Tormund). If they do then they are blasting through scenes at light speed and throwing away characterization to get to the ending.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

thatguy posted:

the problem with all these long theories is they always imply benioff and weiss to be smart enough to invent them and follow any kind of consistency when it should be crystal clear to everybody watching 5-8 that they are absolute loving morons

:agreed:

I think that whole weird sequence with the Waif stabbing Arya 20 times, and Arya getting away unscathed, then later killing the Waif was 100% pure D&D. There is nothing more to it, what you see is what you get. Subtlety is dead. Cleverness is dead. The Waif is dead, the Night King is dead, Arya is alive and cannot be stopped because she is powered by FANDOM.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I think arya is one of the people they have no real info from gurm about so they've just extrapolated her in the most low effort way possible

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I hope the arrows blot out the sun and we get another night battle

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my favorite theory is the show writers are pretending to be dumb so the last 4 3 2 1 episodes are more shockingly good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

:agreed:

I think that whole weird sequence with the Waif stabbing Arya 20 times, and Arya getting away unscathed, then later killing the Waif was 100% pure D&D. There is nothing more to it, what you see is what you get. Subtlety is dead. Cleverness is dead. The Waif is dead, the Night King is dead, Arya is alive and cannot be stopped because she is powered by FANDOM.

Also the absurdity of how she takes on Brienne even though the earlier seasons showed how the anime fighting style was really really dumb and unpractical.

Like when the Hound bitch slaps her after she tried the anime sword techniques on him.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2019

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zohar posted:

I think arya is one of the people they have no real info from gurm about so they've just extrapolated her in the most low effort way possible

Whelp, already in the books she wargs. She fucks with the Faceless Men when she's blind by seeing through a cat's eyes and it creeps them out. She dreams at night of being Nymeria leading a giant pack of wolves in the Riverlands. I would like to think that's going to pay off eventually with her leading a mega-pack of wolves to pick off Frey and Lannister soldiers, softening up Cersei's forces when the forces of the North and the Vale march south.

I thought that the way the story was heading was that each Stark child was going to be villainous in a way. Sansa a master manipulator and poisoner. Arya an assassin with bonus warging ability. Jon Snow a creepy undead gently caress. Bran an omniscient weirdo who probably eats Jojen paste. Rickon (RIP) a wild berserker raised on cannibal island.

Add all that to Dany being a Mad Queen with dragons, and the theme of the series could basically be about how good, moral, well-meaning children can grow up to be monsters because of the world they live in.

But what do I know, I'm not Emmy award winning writers like Benioff and Weiss. They're all 100% heroes and can do no wrong, let's name our babies after them!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The books seem to be gearing up for a big confrontation between the Boltons and Stannis that could go either way with Manderly, and I could see that and the Bastards battle being condensed together.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LabyaMynora posted:

Whelp, already in the books she wargs. She fucks with the Faceless Men when she's blind by seeing through a cat's eyes and it creeps them out. She dreams at night of being Nymeria leading a giant pack of wolves in the Riverlands. I would like to think that's going to pay off eventually with her leading a mega-pack of wolves to pick off Frey and Lannister soldiers, softening up Cersei's forces when the forces of the North and the Vale march south.

I thought that the way the story was heading was that each Stark child was going to be villainous in a way. Sansa a master manipulator and poisoner. Arya an assassin with bonus warging ability. Jon Snow a creepy undead gently caress. Bran an omniscient weirdo who probably eats Jojen paste. Rickon (RIP) a wild berserker raised on cannibal island.

Add all that to Dany being a Mad Queen with dragons, and the theme of the series could basically be about how good, moral, well-meaning children can grow up to be monsters because of the world they live in.

But what do I know, I'm not Emmy award winning writers like Benioff and Weiss. They're all 100% heroes and can do no wrong, let's name our babies after them!

Yeah, the set up for the books right now is so good.

This show has made me like the books so much more. I probably shouldn’t reread them.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Arya was my favorite character and now they made her into a terminator and it sucks. Basically it's like she rejected becoming No One to be Arya Stark, but just keeps acting like No One. The stupid waif theory would make sense if she didn't kill the Night King.

They were doing this with a lot of characters for a bit around Season 6 and 7, especially Dany. They were trying to do these threatening, monotone voices, but the actors either didn't have the skill or look to pull them off.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, the set up for the books right now is so good.

This show has made me like the books so much more. I probably shouldn’t reread them.

The first three are legit good and worth a re-read. I tried re-reading A Feast for Crows and I just loving can't get through it. It is a slog.

I'm still going to buy Winds of Winter the first week it comes out - if it ever comes out.

'Cuz I am a dummy and a consumer whore.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The books seem to be gearing up for a big confrontation between the Boltons and Stannis that could go either way with Manderly, and I could see that and the Bastards battle being condensed together.

iirc Jon gets a reven from ramsay saying "after 7 days of battle stannis lies dead on the field" or something along these lines.
This is the only source however, so it could well be a ruse from ramsay.
I might be wrong though, havent touched the books since the last one came out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Both of the last two are flawed and seemingly full of filler that doesn't really seem to go anywhere. They have good parts though, gurm really needs a good and harsh editor.

Cersei chapters are great.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

iirc Jon gets a reven from ramsay saying "after 7 days of battle stannis lies dead on the field" or something along these lines.
This is the only source however, so it could well be a ruse from ramsay.
I might be wrong though, havent touched the books since the last one came out.

TWOW spoiler

Stannis is still alive

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have you seen a girl of four-and-ten?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also in the book Jon was shanked for wanting to abandon his watch and rush to Winterfell, not because he let Wildlings down south and merged some into the Night's Watch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also in the book Jon was shanked for wanting to abandon his watch and rush to Winterfell, not because he let Wildlings down south and merged some into the Night's Watch.

I think lots of them are mad about that as well. Though some of them for the reason that they simply dont have the food they'd need to feed them and the ones already in the nights watch.

Anyway I dont blame them. The wildlings kind of suck as a whole.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I think lots of them are mad about that as well. Though some of them for the reason that they simply dont have the food they'd need to feed them and the ones already in the nights watch.

Anyway I dont blame them. The wildlings kind of suck as a whole.

look at this racist bootlicker

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

did all the cannibal wildlings die or have there been some barbarians feasting on dead northmen behind the dumpster after all of jon's battles

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
ah fookin het theyns

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

LabyaMynora posted:

The first three are legit good and worth a re-read.

Thats because Gurm set out to write a trilogy. But then like so many other authors, they decided "nah, I need to make this 6+ books long and ensure the quality drops".

There should be a law that no author can write more than 3 books in a single sci-fi or fantasy setting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Arya being a warg is definitely going to be the reason she flunks out of assassin school. She is incapable of shedding her old life because it’s tied to a magical destiny.

Professor Shark posted:

The only thing I can think of that it would hurt is the Others threat- five years is a long time for an army to walk and still seem threatening.

Well, it’s been laid out that the Night King’s mark is what lets him cross the wall, and it’s at least heavily implied that it only comes into effect when Bran actually goes south of the wall again. Five years is a long time, but the setup is there.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The cardinal rule of the Watch is that you renounce your family ties and do not get involved in Westerosi politics. Jon spent his entire tenure as commander maneuvering against the Wardens of the North to the point where they declared war on him, and instead of even considering their demands he commanded the Watch to march on Winterfel. Jon got shanked entirely as a consequence of his own actions.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Arya being a warg is definitely going to be the reason she flunks out of assassin school. She is incapable of shedding her old life because it’s tied to a magical destiny.

Not just that, but the whole idea of when you warg, part of who you are mixes with the animal and stays with it (while you take part of the animal into you). So she cannot become "no one" when Nymeria forever has some Arya still in her. Every time Arya dreams, her consciousness would mix with the wolf and she'd get some of her personality back.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I don't know how to embed Reddit videos but y'all need to click on this

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On all levels, apart from physical, she is a wolf.
*howls*

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
We're not going to get Arya riding Nymeria, are we?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Look into your heart, you know the answer.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Please don't post your disgusting sex fetishes itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lord of the Rings but there's just no ents because they spent the whole fx budget on oliphaunts