Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think you advance tolerance technology enough to raise women's rights laws a notch, then you can change to agnatic-cognatic in succession laws.

But, in all my Ireland games, I've had access to agnatic-cognatic from the start I think. So if you can't change that in succession laws, hover over it and it will say why not. Could just be a vassal mad at you.

Another option without changing law is making lots more bastards via seduction, then legitimizing the ones you want. Your wife already hates you so go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile in Ireland, the endless revolts have begun. King finally decides to spit out another bastard after all this time...a daughter, she can't inherit. gently caress you, Catholicism. Wife meanwhile has survived 10 years in the Oubliette. 'lol'

How exactly do I change culture/religion to something reasonable enough to allow women to inherit? Seems I'm always marrying and inviting Basques, but nothing ever converts.

Best Friends posted:

I think you advance tolerance technology enough to raise women's rights laws a notch, then you can change to agnatic-cognatic in succession laws.

But, in all my Ireland games, I've had access to agnatic-cognatic from the start I think. So if you can't change that in succession laws, hover over it and it will say why not. Could just be a vassal mad at you.

Another option without changing law is making lots more bastards via seduction, then legitimizing the ones you want. Your wife already hates you so go nuts.

You need this, and you need Basque/Cathar in vanilla. Conclave gives you a way to legally elevate women (and Muslims) even if you are still Catholic, I think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The inheritance laws could always be changed if you have high enough Tolerance, that has nothing to do with Catholicism. Ag-Cog doesn’t even require any out of the box. Y’all are getting this mixed up with religions that have the Agnatic feature (like Islam). Islam requires something like 4 or 5 Tolerance and women’s rights laws to implement ag-cog.

Solution is just to change the inheritance laws unless that’s not feasible.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Agnatic-Cognatic (male-preferential but not male-exclusive) isn't the same as full Cognatic (gender-equal). The latter is only available under certain circumstances, the former should be available to all Christians as far as I'm aware.

MaxieSatan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 11, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Reform Bön with their unique doctrine, Harmonious. It forces both full equality as gender law, and absolute cognatic succession. And it allows heir designation. Giving you full control over which of your kids inherits, whether it's a boy or girl, and whether they are the firstborn, last born, or some middle child. And if you do go with a female heir, she won't get any penalties for being a woman ruler. It's pretty cool.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So i'm trying to go through the Arumba/Ireland tutorial on Youtube. Upon firing up CK2, I noticed that even though I select the same starting year and region as the Youtuber, my map and rules are different. Ireland is called "Moo moo" or some poo poo and the counties don't line up exactly. Granted, I have all DLC installed/enabled and the tutorials are older, so maybe the game start is a bit different now. But can anyone tell me if I'm doing something obviously wrong?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

So i'm trying to go through the Arumba/Ireland tutorial on Youtube. Upon firing up CK2, I noticed that even though I select the same starting year and region as the Youtuber, my map and rules are different. Ireland is called "Moo moo" or some poo poo and the counties don't line up exactly. Granted, I have all DLC installed/enabled and the tutorials are older, so maybe the game start is a bit different now. But can anyone tell me if I'm doing something obviously wrong?

Ireland got broken into more counties a few patches ago, right around when Holy Fury dropped. The tutorial is probably just out of date.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Ireland got broken into more counties a few patches ago, right around when Holy Fury dropped. The tutorial is probably just out of date.

Yep, that's gotta be what it is then. I've looked at a few tutorials as late as July of last year and they all have the same issue. drat. Ah well.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ireland still plays essentially the same, though. I think there's now one more de jure duchy than there used to be, so I guess one more guy can be mad at you for things. But your strategy is essentially unchanged, you just may have to be a little more aggressive so as to consolidate the kingdom before the AI starts marrying into claims on your rightful realm or the Saxons invade or whatever depending on your start date.

e honestly CK2 is way less opaque than it appears and the best way to learn is just to play it. Don't sweat a tutorial being out of date, follow its suggestions as best you can and adapt where you need to.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 11, 2019

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

If you have the game rule enabled, certain counties/duchies/etc. will change their name to something more appropriate to the ruler’s culture. “Mumu” is just the name of the duchy of Munster when held by the Irish.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Tutorials are nice for learning the very basics but beyond that the best thing is just playing and googling issues as you come up to them. The CK2 wiki and paradox forums have a ton of specific info that you'll find in searches.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve tried the tact of “just playing” but without knowing what my options are, I don’t know what to push. I can just mash buttons, and I have, but then when things happen I can’t tell if I caused it or not.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I’ve done a dumb thing. I matrilineally married my Queen of Eire to a third or fourth heir to the Kingdom of France, I built him a castle and then somehow he assumed the French throne and the barony title is now out of my realm.

How badly did I mess up?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It should come back to your kid once both you and him die, and since your kid'll be your dynasty it'll all work out.

Edit: Complications can include differences in succession law. If you have primo, for instance, and France has ultimogeniture, if you accidentally pop out a second kid and then die, that barony is probably going to go to the younger kid while your eldest inherits your stuff.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

catlord posted:

It should come back to your kid once both you and him die, and since your kid'll be your dynasty it'll all work out.

Edit: Complications can include differences in succession law. If you have primo, for instance, and France has ultimogeniture, if you accidentally pop out a second kid and then die, that barony is probably going to go to the younger kid while your eldest inherits your stuff.

What if I was Tannist succession, and I married him by inviting him to court and matrilineally marrying him to a 40 year old (at the time?) we’ve made no children, I guess when I die he’ll probably produce an heir with some whore. Should I fear that?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Worst case scenario, you can fight France in a de jure war for that territory. If you haven't taken some continental territory, you might have a decent advantage fighting off armies as they land on your shores. I also urge you to consider the enclave independence rules in your next game to try to avoid this type of thing.

Alternatively, and maybe more historically, just live without that one barony under your control and focus on bigger fish to fry.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve tried the tact of “just playing” but without knowing what my options are, I don’t know what to push. I can just mash buttons, and I have, but then when things happen I can’t tell if I caused it or not.

If it still doesn't click in your head after following a screenshot LP, maybe you should just wait for the next update. The patch notes say that they're going to fix the in-game tutorial. Iberia is a much more exciting setting than Ireland to get your feet wet anyways.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

I mean also feel free to just ask questions, I obviously can't speak for everyone but I'm always a little excited when there are fifty new posts and and it turns out that someone new to the game needed help scheming to murder or gently caress someone, sometimes both. This is a helpful thread!

:justpost:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok...so far so good...I joined a satanic cult, had some kids, and went to war with a neighboring county to press a Do Joor claim. I won and gained the county. I married into Sweden and it seems they helped a bit by giving me 4K men to gently caress with my enemy. Here's the problem, now they are at war, and called for my help. I agreed, but have no idea how to even get over there. Is it automatic? Do I need to raise levies, build ships, and send them? How this worky?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you're on the continent, then you maybe could just march men up there. small enough bodies of water have dotted lines that let you just walk men over. Just don't march into a fight while crossing water because you get a big debuff.

If there isn't a strait to cross, you have to build shipyards, from which you can draw ships from just like calling up your levies (either on the county view or the military tab). Vikings all get an event where shipyards pop into existence all of a sudden for them, otherwise you either have to hope that the game provided for you or build your own.

The third option is going down the mercenaries list in the military tab to hire a company of boats to carry your men.

Once you've got your boats, you can click your men to go into the boats like it's a province if the boat's at sea or you can send them to the place where the boat is docked and tell them to board. I think the ratio is for every 1 boat your fleet can carry 100 men.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ah, ok. Well the war is over and dude lost and likes me less. Since I couldn’t get an army from Ireland to Sweden in time, I arranged to hatch a “plot” to kill the opposing dude. Got an opportunity to make his carriage have an accident but he lives still.

Now; a vassal if mine is fabricating claims on another of my provinces. I’m calling upon the powers of the dark lord to abduct him. We shall see if he answers....

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I had declared invasion of East Francia(thanks blood of alexander) and had most of East Francia sieged down, but the dipshit Pope decided to call a crusade. So now I'm 147 holdings over my limit and that karling dog still has a few counties left.

I got the achievement for 100k prestige in this one, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the 500k one in this run.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

But it's also a little like playing with a live bomb to game-ify religion, even if it's just administrative structure, because these are real things that real people live with as a big part of their lives even today. Even the weird obscure things like Bon and Zoroastrianism.
i ran into a no-poo poo yazidi woman last time i was in LA who was pretty goddamn offended that her religion was, mechanically, a heresy of islam

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Coolguye posted:

i ran into a no-poo poo yazidi woman last time i was in LA who was pretty goddamn offended that her religion was, mechanically, a heresy of islam

That seems like an... interesting conversation to have gone in that direction (unless you already knew her).

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

chaosapiant posted:

All the tutorials on YouTube always feel out of date, just watch whatever someone's most recent start for Holy Fury is and try to pick up tips from that. You might be able to strike gold in twitch, but it's been a while since I watched those streams so I don't have anyone to suggest.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Meanwhile in Ireland, I take it back...the current King pooping out a bastard daughter (who I immediately legitimized) actually did set her up as his heir, as apparently when you only have two children, a daughter and a prince-bishop, the daughter wins out and boots the next nearest successor (the king's brother) out of contention. Who knew.

Of course she can't be given land, which is a problem as I am still well over my vassal limit and the king's brother is going to jump him at any moment for control of Ireland. Which wouldn't be the worst outcome, but gently caress him, I'd rather ride it out and give Ireland to the daughter at this point.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

kingturnip posted:

That seems like an... interesting conversation to have gone in that direction (unless you already knew her).

Seconding this. How the hell did you end up discussing the religion mechanics of CK2 with a random person in LA?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Meanwhile in Ireland, I take it back...the current King pooping out a bastard daughter (who I immediately legitimized) actually did set her up as his heir, as apparently when you only have two children, a daughter and a prince-bishop, the daughter wins out and boots the next nearest successor (the king's brother) out of contention. Who knew.

Of course she can't be given land, which is a problem as I am still well over my vassal limit and the king's brother is going to jump him at any moment for control of Ireland. Which wouldn't be the worst outcome, but gently caress him, I'd rather ride it out and give Ireland to the daughter at this point.

If you're over your vassal limit, create more duchies and hand them out.

Fun random fact: If you have agnatic-cognatic (daughters only inherit if you have no sons) primogeniture (firstborn eligible heir inherits all), then a younger daughter with a son inherits before an older daughter without children or with only female children.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Now; a vassal if mine is fabricating claims on another of my provinces. I’m calling upon the powers of the dark lord to abduct him. We shall see if he answers....

if a vassal is doing something treasonous against you, like plotting to kill a dynast or claim a title, you can try to imprison them without penalty - it depends on the severity of the crime though. see if there is text on the tooltip that says "this is seen as tyrannical" or "other vassals will like you less -15" or something. if it isn't there, then everyone agrees the vassal is a poo poo and you can get a free swing against them. if you have title revocation on, then imprisoning the traitor and yanking their title is a good way to clean up your borders and or land dynasts

of course sacrificing him to satan is fine, and so is asking him politely to knock off his plotting. but a useful part of vassal management is pissing off specific guys so they plot against you, then using that plot as an excuse to punish them severely

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

I mean, it ISN'T a heresy of Islam in real life, and considering that many of them were slaughtered quite recently over not being Islamic, it seems like a fine thing to get offended by.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

I mean, it ISN'T a heresy of Islam in real life, and considering that many of them were slaughtered quite recently over not being Islamic, it seems like a fine thing to get offended by.

Yeah, paradox should really consider changing the Yazidi religion in a patch or something, especially given recent events.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think there's a Dev thread on the paradox forums about potential religion changes. Also on the list is separating Zoroastrianism and manicheanism, because that makes no sense.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On that note, I'm unclear as to the line of succession when it comes to my prince-bishop son. Like, that county I gave him earlier reads as having no line of succession at all in the event of his death, he has no kids and I presume it will stay that way as long as he's clergy. If I pile land on him and he dies, does his stuff revert back to me?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

On that note, I'm unclear as to the line of succession when it comes to my prince-bishop son. Like, that county I gave him earlier reads as having no line of succession at all in the event of his death, he has no kids and I presume it will stay that way as long as he's clergy. If I pile land on him and he dies, does his stuff revert back to me?

Pretty sure no, you're giving it to the church when you give it to him.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

If you made your son a priest, giving him more titles will just make him a higher ranked priest. When he dies he'll be replaced by another bishop. I'm pretty sure you can put him back into the line of succession by revoking all his titles, if that's what your're after.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Seconding this. How the hell did you end up discussing the religion mechanics of CK2 with a random person in LA?

we worked in the same office and another co-worker and i were discussing the papal state LP of CK2 that was big in the LP subforum at the time. at one point the pope in that LP was a secret yazidi.

she heard us talking and wtf'd. she was at first amazed that her religion was even modeled in the first place, then really annoyed that it was modeled the way it was.

trapped mouse posted:

this is the most left field post

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

What does this even mean?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Best Friends posted:

I think there's a Dev thread on the paradox forums about potential religion changes. Also on the list is separating Zoroastrianism and manicheanism, because that makes no sense.

Oh? That sounds good. I do wish for a religion rework, even if it's just making the religion families better. As you note, separating Zoroastrianism and Manichaeism would be good, and it would definitely be a good idea to split out Yazidism for all the reasons mentioned.

Coolguye posted:

Is it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes

trapped mouse posted:

What does this even mean?
it means you made it weird

e: to be slightly less flippant

i was responding with a supporting anecdote to a post that said "it's really hard to handle religious stuff such that it both feels respectful and is real historically while also making sense in the context of the game", basically agreeing with the sentiment and you responded with a thing that came off as a moralizing "WELL ACTUALLY" indictment even though fundamentally we disagree on nothing

and it's like

that got strangely hostile really fast, is this going to turn into a who can be more woke slapfight? what is even going on, this is weird now, can we not please

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 12, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I picked up the expansions I didn't have (Monks, Horse, Holy Fury, another one I'm forgetting) and booted this up for the first time in years. I reloaded my old save and I've forgotten EVERYTHING. Also, did a DLC mess up my save because I'm the emperor of Francia but everything is Gavelkind and I'm 99% sure I wasn't Gavelkind last time I played?

I'll probably putz about in this file since I only have a few generations left until the end but any good quick resources to refresh my brain on stuff, especially the new stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Coolguye posted:

that got strangely hostile really fast, is this going to turn into a who can be more woke slapfight? what is even going on, this is weird now, can we not please

By my interpretation, you're the only one getting pissy. Their post was just agreeing with you and providing extra context.