Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nielsm posted:

Did you check the joists?

If the joists are damaged, just cut out the dodgy bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

A feral boxhaus has been spotted in the process of consuming an early 1900s Colonial Revival.

It has already fully engulfed the rear of the older house, completely obscuring it from view.

Boxhauses prefer to hunt in packs and two more of them lie waiting for the opportune moment to strike the rest of the neighborhood. Homes in the Fan district are especially vulnerable to these invasive predators.

What a shame. The details on the original build like the dentil are really attractive.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What a shame. The details on the original build like the dentil are really attractive.
https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/12/07/fan-house-restoration-makes-room-three-new-homes/

quote:

“I’ve spent the last 33 years doing nothing but historic work. I certainly could do ‘a Fan house,’ but I’m a restorationist. There’s nothing to restore on a vacant lot, so I should be able to build what the neighborhood needs,” he said.

“Time doesn’t stand still. We’re in a historic district; I could make this exactly like a historic house, but it wouldn’t be historic, so now you’re making a façade. I don’t see the reason to do that, and I don’t think it detracts from the neighborhood at all. The comments I’ve gotten from the neighborhood have been overwhelmingly positive.”
uh huh

There are thankfully people who disagree with this guy and are building tasteful new construction in the Fan.

These were built in 2016. The insides are really nice too, not a barn door in sight.

Built in 2010.
. See, a giant infill house with a roof deck doesn't have to be a monstrosity.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to be the odd man out and say I don't hate the box house. I hate how they extending the old house in the same style so it does look like it's getting eaten, but row houses of varying architectural styles kind of appeals to me. Interesting idea, poor execution.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
He's full of poo poo if he says his neighbors don't hate it/him. People buying in that area want the historic look, it’s what they pay extra for.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'll be completely honest and say I don't, in any capacity, understand worrying about what my home will do to the neighborhood's aesthetic. Could be my antisocial qualities showing, but I want my house to look the way I want it to, and be located where I want it to, and I wouldn't lose sleep over doing a craftsman home in a Victorian neighborhood or what have you. I get the desire to not tear down historic homes, but an empty lot is a blank slate to my mind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slugworth posted:

I'll be completely honest and say I don't, in any capacity, understand worrying about what my home will do to the neighborhood's aesthetic. Could be my antisocial qualities showing, but I want my house to look the way I want it to, and be located where I want it to, and I wouldn't lose sleep over doing a craftsman home in a Victorian neighborhood or what have you. I get the desire to not tear down historic homes, but an empty lot is a blank slate to my mind.

Same. When I was planning out stuff on the front of the house the builder(s) were looking at what the other houses had on the street, and while I kept my mouth shut in the moment my thoughts were "I don't give a flying gently caress what front porch the neighbours have"

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Slugworth posted:

Which is fine, it's just usually when people want to do whatever they want they don't do it in middle of a somewhat famous historic district known specifically for its turn of the century architecture, on what was one city lot subdivided into 4. Seriously though, parking in the Fan is rear end, living in that area is a compromise and if you're not shopping for the area's aesthetic there are many better places around town to build what you want, with a better quality of life.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

I knew your place was old but I didn't know you'd bought the actual Hill House.

Believe it or not, this was not the creepiest basement we saw during our house hunting (definitely second creepiest though). Creepiest belonged to a similar, older house (late 1880s I think). It was like this one, except everything was crooked, floor was all uneven dirt, lighting was worse, and clearance was 5'6" at best.

One thing I've learned is that all finished basements in the old houses here are cursed, as I have come to know their true form. The ones that remain unfinished are merely haunted.

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus, all that's missing is a bunch of handprints of dried blood and an amateur filmmaker standing in the corner.

You know, I've actually seriously considered renting the murder room to photography and film students as a horror set. But only if they've had their tetanus shots.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jaded Burnout posted:

Same. When I was planning out stuff on the front of the house the builder(s) were looking at what the other houses had on the street, and while I kept my mouth shut in the moment my thoughts were "I don't give a flying gently caress what front porch the neighbours have"

There are options between these two extremes, and you can not give a gently caress about exactly what porch the neighbours have without being the kind of rear end in a top hat who plops down a featureless cube of vinyl siding,

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GotLag posted:

There are options between these two extremes, and you can not give a gently caress about exactly what porch the neighbours have without being the kind of rear end in a top hat who plops down a featureless cube of vinyl siding,

It's true, but equally, who cares. Do you buy your house for the view along the street? Maybe if it's extremely pretty, but otherwise..

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

poo poo now I feel like I need to post the murder corner of my unfinished basement.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's true, but equally, who cares. Do you buy your house for the view along the street?
I mean, yes? If your house is just somewhere you live and then get in a car to other places from and then drive back to then yeah who cares, but even just owning a dog makes me care about how the immediate neighbourhood looks. Mind you we have strict occupancy to greenspace ratios where I live so there's no such thing as an "empty lot".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

but even just owning a dog makes me care about how the immediate neighbourhood looks

OK sure, but personally, if I went out on the street with the dog and one of the houses was not to my taste, that would not bother me. It feels a little controlling to be that fussy about the outside of other people's houses if it's not causing someone real distress.

I'd much rather have the street itself be nice, tree lined, green spaces, than focus on the bits of the street that aren't mine to enjoy anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK sure, but personally, if I went out on the street with the dog and one of the houses was not to my taste, that would not bother me. It feels a little controlling to be that fussy about the outside of other people's houses if it's not causing someone real distress.

I'd much rather have the street itself be nice, tree lined, green spaces, than focus on the bits of the street that aren't mine to enjoy anyway.
You know how one of the McMansion hell staples is having a bunch of stuff that work perfectly fine in isolation but look completely batshit when put together? It's like that but instead of 30 kinds of windows it's houses.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

You know how one of the McMansion hell staples is having a bunch of stuff that work perfectly fine in isolation but look completely batshit when put together? It's like that but instead of 30 kinds of windows it's houses.

Maybe this is a bit of a cultural difference. The majority of streets I've lived on (where the houses were separate enough for this to be an issue) have been of the traditionally English style of having a tiny front yard (at best) and everyone spending time in the back gardens rather than the front. Ain't nobody sitting on no porches.

That said, yeah OK so you might end up with a mish-mash. So what? You don't own the street, everybody does, and when you have a few dozen people with no connection to one another all making personal design decisions you're going to end up with a patchwork. I think we both agree on the effect, I just don't think it's a problem.

Should everyone have similarly-styled cars parked out front too? This is how you wind up with tyrannical HOAs.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Should everyone have similarly-styled cars parked out front too? This is how you wind up with tyrannical HOAs.

And how you end up with HOA policies that punish/exclude people who can't afford to keep up with some arbitrary standard of appearance.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

There are houses/buildings in my neighborhood that I'll walk by and be like, "dang that's ugly - the 60's were sure a bad time for architecture" and then I'll keep on walking because there's no point crying over spilt milk. I just note ugly buildings and other architectural discrepancies and dislike them because I'm an anal retentive designer and I can't help it. It's not like I dwell on it.

If a neighbor came and said they wanted to do their house up in modern finishes and paint it some weird color, I'd be like, sure whatever. Actually when the folks across the street were painting their house, I was the one suggesting less boring colors.

But if they came and said they wanted to build a garage on the front yard (where we all have nice little lawns and porches), I'd fight them hard because it would gently caress up our block's porch-centric community (and block sunlight). All the houses on this block have a front porch and a uniform setback from the street, so everyone can see each other from their porches and it's very friendly and fun. If one rear end in a top hat builds a garage that juts out, then that gets ruined.

As for making the street itself nice, I'm all for that (and working on getting street trees planted, and planting a front yard tree of our own). A nice looking street with trees goes a long way in making everything on the street look good in turn.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Lol no it’s not, no proper HOA is going to let you park your car where it can actually be seen

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A lot of very rational reasons for not caring or caring a little about your neighborhood looks like when I think people care about it for irrational and emotional responses. Mostly qualified as being about the value of your own property when being appraised by potential buyers.

I'm in agreement that mostly I don't care if there's a house in a different style. My neighborhood was built out over three decades and there is some variety but mostly homogeneous. I like the weird dollhouse Victorian home around the corner. It's at least clean and well taken care of. I also like historical neighborhoods that preserve the style of their time. The world is big enough to provide places for both kinds of people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

But if they came and said they wanted to build a garage on the front yard (where we all have nice little lawns and porches), I'd fight them hard because it would gently caress up our block's porch-centric community (and block sunlight). All the houses on this block have a front porch and a uniform setback from the street, so everyone can see each other from their porches and it's very friendly and fun. If one rear end in a top hat builds a garage that juts out, then that gets ruined.

Aye, that's reasonable, we have national planning permission laws which prevent that (mostly).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My house was built a good 200 years before the surrounding houses. It’s not radically different but isn’t brick like all the colonials and the layout of the property is way different (only house that’s like 40 yards away from the sidewalk.

What I’m saying is, gently caress those losers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Dave posted:

My house was built a good 200 years before the surrounding houses. It’s not radically different but isn’t brick like all the colonials and the layout of the property is way different (only house that’s like 40 yards away from the sidewalk.

What I’m saying is, gently caress those losers.

Back in my day this was all fields.

Actually my house and the one next to it were the last in the street to be built (111 years ago) and I think they'd put in the house numbers already and left 3 for the plots that wound up with just our 2 houses, which is why there's a number missing between my house and next door. I should put up a letter box try and use it to create a fake identity or something.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well also houses are evens and odds on the different sides of the street, honestly even being three digits away is super close.

Edit course probably they do things differently where you live.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

True - I own the lot (yard probably since 1940) next to my house, and the number does skip an even digit to the next house - I suppose I could say that my yard has a house number, as it was a building lot back in 1930 when most of the homes on my street were built. Although they changed the code in 2011 so a house could not be built there, it still shows on the plat as a separate lot. GG New Jersey property taxes!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe this is a bit of a cultural difference. The majority of streets I've lived on (where the houses were separate enough for this to be an issue) have been of the traditionally English style of having a tiny front yard (at best) and everyone spending time in the back gardens rather than the front. Ain't nobody sitting on no porches.

That said, yeah OK so you might end up with a mish-mash. So what? You don't own the street, everybody does, and when you have a few dozen people with no connection to one another all making personal design decisions you're going to end up with a patchwork. I think we both agree on the effect, I just don't think it's a problem.

You seem to be arguing against some manner of authoritarian rule based system, which is a dumb opinion nobody has stated. It's not illegal to build a house that horribly clashes with the existing aesthetic of the neighbourhood and makes it less visually pleasing to look at, and outside of some kind of historical protection situation it shouldn't be. This is a completely separate question as to whether you should.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Well also houses are evens and odds on the different sides of the street, honestly even being three digits away is super close.

Edit course probably they do things differently where you live.

Yeah there's an actual number missing from the street, even accounting for that.

Splicer posted:

You seem to be arguing against some manner of authoritarian rule based system, which is a dumb opinion nobody has stated. It's not illegal to build a house that horribly clashes with the existing aesthetic of the neighbourhood and makes it less visually pleasing to look at, and outside of some kind of historical protection situation it shouldn't be. This is a completely separate question as to whether you should.

People being upset that people built a house they don't like is what I'm not into. Enshrining it in authority is just the next step in the process.

I'm not sure there's a useful distinction between "you can't do this aesthetic thing" and "I'm going to moan that you did this aesthetic thing" in this context.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah there's an actual number missing from the street, even accounting for that.

People being upset that people built a house they don't like is what I'm not into. Enshrining it in authority is just the next step in the process.

I'm not sure there's a useful distinction between "you can't do this aesthetic thing" and "I'm going to moan that you did this aesthetic thing" in this context.

It's the reason HOAs exist, basically. Everything from "gently caress Cletus and his loving 'project car' that's been rusting on blocks on his front lawn for as long as I've lived here" to "The neighbors don't put their trash cans away within 2 hours of the garbage man coming, and that just won't do" can be enshrined in their bylaws and rules, no matter how retarded, unethical or abusive they may be!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sometimes HOAs are good. Sometimes HOAs are bad. In conclusion, HOAs are a land of contrasts.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jaded Burnout posted:

"Not liking things" as the slippery slope to authoritarianism :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Sometimes HOAs are good.

:wrong:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Death to all HOAs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

I understand you're very angry at whoever is making the points you're arguing against, but please stop quoting my posts while doing so.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Jaded Burnout posted:

Maybe this is a bit of a cultural difference.

Remember, the USA doesn't have much history. A neighbourhood of Victorian houses is historic, and not common enough for everyone to be OK with renovating out of existence. In UK terms, imagine someone coming into a village, buying a cottage on a lane of listed homes, and replacing the thatched roof with tiles one of those aluminium rooves that i think i mostly know of from Australia.

E: also there's some hatred of gentrification involved.

EE: also NIMBYism and pearl-clutching

EEE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC#/media/File:ASUS_Eee_White_Alt-small.png

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 12, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s one around here who’s sole purpose is to pay for landscaping around the neighborhood and a community pool and it’s like $20/mo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
About the only situation I can conceive of where I'd want an HOA around is for dealing with the kind of person that builds spite houses. Things like "I don't like my neighbor, so I bought all the lots around their lot and put 40'-high concrete walls right up against the property lines so their house is perpetually in shadow" are not illegal (assuming appropriate setbacks, height limits, etc. are obeyed) but incredibly dickish.

Fortunately such situations are rare.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If he has enough spite and dedication to buy three full house lots, a HoA is gonna give him immeasurable power to dick over people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

I understand you're very angry at whoever is making the points you're arguing against, but please stop quoting my posts while doing so.

I'm not angry at anyone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

HOAs aren't necessary if you have a functional local government. My parents formed a neighborhood association because there is basically no local government so they pooled with the neighbors to do stuff like maintain the roads and replace traffic and install lighting.

But no one cares what your house looks like and they can't lien your house if you don't trim your lawn or that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Splicer posted:

Reading back, I think the confusion is coming from me reading this:

Splicer posted:

I mean, yes? If your house is just somewhere you live and then get in a car to other places from and then drive back to then yeah who cares, but even just owning a dog makes me care about how the immediate neighbourhood looks. Mind you we have strict occupancy to greenspace ratios where I live so there's no such thing as an "empty lot".
and conflating it with other posts like this:

Gunjin posted:

He's full of poo poo if he says his neighbors don't hate it/him. People buying in that area want the historic look, it’s what they pay extra for.
which I probably still read too much into.

So, yeah, you never actually said that you'd be pissed off at someone who built something you hated but that you would care about it when buying your house. And that's fair enough. I'm just skimming erryone's posts too much.