Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it? I would have figured the Switch version would have been best since it was the latest.

Jesus christ I didn't even realize it was ON the Switch. Stuff comes out and just gets buried under the avalanche of releases.

Sounds like it's the new best version, keeping the DX improvements on a wider, nicer screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

At most Skyrim should be $20 normally, $10 on sale, and $5 at like Black Friday or Christmas.

But Nintendo...

I'll let Bethesda have this one because apparently they put enough work into Skyrim to make it run well on the Switch, unlike so many other garbage ports.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Holy poo poo, Redout is finally up for pre-purchase. It's like Fast RMX, but with personality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTjaAtv9MZ8

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spellman posted:

Holy poo poo, Redout is finally up for pre-purchase. It's like Fast RMX, but with personality

:aaa:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

VanillaGorilla posted:

I dunno, I just know that Nintendo is far less aggressive with sales on its digital storefront than any of the other systems and everything seems to sell at a premium on Nintendo platforms.

This is what has my Switch collecting dust since I finished Let’s Go Eevee. There are a number of games I’d love to play, but they’re all $79.99 CAD and I have yet to see a meaningful sale on any of them physical or digital.

When I can pick up PS4 versions of Ni No Kuni 2 for $10, GTA5 for $17 and The Witcher 3 Complete for $20 it gets tough to justify $80 for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :sigh:

I’m confident Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest XI will both be available for $20 or less long before I can find any good Switch RPGs for less than $60.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Spellman posted:

maybe wait for release before buying, the performance wasn't great on the big consoles (even the xb1x version drops into the 40fps range at time) so i'm not optimistic about the switch port

playing a game this fast without a 60fps lock is pretty miserable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsVaDyHGUc

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spellman posted:

Make a new F-Zero cowards

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't realize Redout had a bunch of DLC. I bought it because it did VR on PC but didn't really do much with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Detective Pikachu movie end credits music for Smash please please

Goddamnit Sakurai i know you read my posts

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Joke's on you, it's going to be a bundle of the Lords of Shadow games.

If it means we get Harmony of Despair on the Switch, let alone a Harmony of Despair 2, I'll allow it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Cartoon Man posted:

At most Skyrim should be $20 normally, $10 on sale, and $5 at like Black Friday or Christmas.

But Nintendo...

But you can try to make your own fun and it doesn't have mods and ... wait

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shammypants posted:

But you can try to make your own fun and it doesn't have mods and ... wait

A friend of mine was absolutely going to pull the trigger on Skyrim a 3rd or 4th time until I pointed out there were no mods. The $60 price tag wasn't enough to stop him it was the lack of mod support

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BGrifter posted:

When I can pick up PS4 versions of Ni No Kuni 2 for $10, GTA5 for $17 and The Witcher 3 Complete for $20 it gets tough to justify $80 for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :sigh:

It doesn't help that all those sub $20 games are much better titles than XB2. Do Not Spend $60 on XB2. Pay a utility bill instead, go out for a nice dinner/movie night, etc

E: between Skyrim and XB2 I lit $120 on fire. Biggest switch regret purchases by a long shot!

What games do you regret buying and why

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 12, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda: Skyward Spirit Tracks
Zelda: Breath of the Wild

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I regret Zelda and that’s about it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Fallout 4; it sucks

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I want a racing game like Tokyo Xtreme Racer, which was rad. And F-Zero.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Len posted:

A friend of mine was absolutely going to pull the trigger on Skyrim a 3rd or 4th time until I pointed out there were no mods. The $60 price tag wasn't enough to stop him it was the lack of mod support

honestly the only mod i care about are ones that skip the beginning section in a new game, what really kills me getting it is not having console command to gently caress up the game with when i get bored

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not having console commands to fix it when it broke is a deal breaker

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

KingSlime posted:

It doesn't help that all those sub $20 games are much better titles than XB2. Do Not Spend $60 on XB2. Pay a utility bill instead, go out for a nice dinner/movie night, etc

E: between Skyrim and XB2 I lit $120 on fire. Biggest switch regret purchases by a long shot!

Kingdom Hearts 3: it's legitimately one of the worst AAA games I've ever played. Horrible writing, floaty combat that feels like it's two generations behind the curve.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Reminder that Steamworld Dig 1, 2, and Heist are all on sale and you're a drat fool if you dont grab them

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Not having console commands to fix it when it broke is a deal breaker
yeah, that's exactly why I will never play a Bethesda Game on anything other than PC (well, that and mods for subsequent runs)

I can't even count the number of times I've had to tcl because my character got stuck in the geometry, or setstage because a quest is broken

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skyrim on all platforms has a DLC breaking bug still present in the Enhanced edition

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

At least on Switch: Darkest Dungeon with the DLC... just got over the gameplay loop SUPER fast. Lumines if only because I haven't played it much. I do like it but I just have a lot of other choices. Same with Thumper.

Rain World, but I really haven't given it a fair shake, still the few hours I've tried it didn't resonate with me all that much.

After that I wish I had paid a bit less for Skyrim, but I had never played it and I definitely enjoyed it. Same with Octopath, it's good, but not 60 euro good. Mario Tennis Aces is fun but not worth the asking price.

I don't think Odyssey is fantastic, but I didn't buy it, just borrowed it, and I know I'm in the minority on that one. Bomberman R is pretty crap.

And since I'm going through it at the moment, Fire Emblem Awakenings is crap.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same with Octopath, it's good, but not 60 euro good.

A sale on Octopath is pretty much my holy grail right now. It’s been a firm $80 CAD since I bought my Switch.

I just can’t justify paying the price of 4-5 AAA titles on PS4 for one Switch game. :sigh: I know I’ll love Octopath Traveller if I ever get it, but eight times as much as a $10 copy of Nier: Automata?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BGrifter posted:

A sale on Octopath is pretty much my holy grail right now. It’s been a firm $80 CAD since I bought my Switch.

I just can’t justify paying the price of 4-5 AAA titles on PS4 for one Switch game. :sigh: I know I’ll love Octopath Traveller if I ever get it, but eight times as much as a $10 copy of Nier: Automata?

Look for it used? I'm going to sell my copy sooner or later, but Canada seems unnecessarily far.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You're crazy if you don't buy Octopath on physical then sell it after

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If you’re thinking about Skyrim just get Dragons Dogma instead. It’s $30 and it’s way better in every way.

Skyrim might have a better looking world but that’s about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't find DD and Skyrim that similar since Dragon's Dogma is absolutely dreadful as an open world game, which is like the one thing Skyrim has going for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Apples and Oranges.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's my take: I aim for at most $2/hour for gameplay. Skyrim for $60 wasn't an issue for me, because I figured I would get at least 30 hours out of it (and I ended up getting 70+). Likewise, when I buy a $15 indie game, I assume about 7 hours of gameplay, which most indie games hit, so I'm happy.

If I can get a game on sale, then that's pretty awesome, but all Steam sales ended up doing was bloating my library full of titles I've never played. The titles I really wanted to play on Steam I bought close enough to launch that if they were on sale it was maybe 10-20% off.

Finally, I try to buy the $60 games physically, so that if I don't love them, then I can at least trade it into GameStop for some credit. This works exceptionally well for Nintendo titles, which generally net me a $30 trade in credit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Beastie posted:

If you’re thinking about Skyrim just get Dragons Dogma instead. It’s $30 and it’s way better in every way.

Skyrim might have a better looking world but that’s about it.

Real hot take there

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Look for it used? I'm going to sell my copy sooner or later, but Canada seems unnecessarily far.

Around here there seems to be very little movement of used Switch games. I think the high price of games has people hanging on to the 2-3 they own rather than buying and selling like they do with PS4 titles. When games do get listed it’s usually for $70+ CAD. EBGames actually has the best used price for Octopath Traveller at $65.99 CAD.

There are always more Switch consoles for sale on sites like Facebook Marketplace than individual games. Not sure if it’s people who bought a bunch of consoles hoping to resell at a profit or what.

I’ve vented enough on this particular topic though. Don’t really want to beat this dead horse any further. I’ll happily pay that $80 CAD when Pokemon Sword/Shield come out.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 12, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

KingSlime posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (although I really tried for 20 hours over a long time. combat is so boring and the story... yea, it has boobs, but it's so bad)
Octopath Traveler (boring, the appearance of things being blurry annoyed me)
Pokemon Let's Go (too easy and I have no nostalgia at all for Pokemon. honestly had way more fun playing Pokemon GO!)
Super Mario Bro U (completely uninspired garbage, a pure cash grab)
ARMS (it was a neat concept but maybe 70% of a game. needed a lot more differentiation between characters, different types of moves, something).
FIFA, Switch Edition (PC/etc. just purely better in every single way. The market for cards is too small on Switch, at times making it impossible to get what you want)
DOOM (I got it for free, but I would have regretted it had I paid because it looks SO much better on PC it's disgusting, PC versions can be had for like 10 bucks)
Lego Worlds (the patch where the reduced the range of vision.. ugh)
Okami! (neat concept but i've bought it a few times over the years and never play it more than 30 minutes. It's one of those "trap" games you get and shelve immediately)
Fast RMX (rubberbanding bullshit)
Has Been Heroes (just bad)
Game of Thrones (what the gently caress is this poo poo?)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NSMBU is uninspired but the level design is pretty good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I regret a single game purchase I've made in the past few years. I'm pretty confident about my game tastes these days and I get a pretty good idea what is actually good from these forums.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

KingSlime posted:

Spla2n is worse in every aspect that I loved the original (terrible map replacement, rush down short range meta, map rotation still gives me the same old maps, gyro more finicky, miniscule tick rate), luckily I was able to get a refund for that.

Dragon's dogma's combat just doesn't out weigh the terrible obtuse quest and map system. I'm constantly hitting road blocks just trying to get to quest markers and figuring out how to move things forward. I'm all about the holistic approach, so I'm down for talking to npcs and what not, it just seems like I'm supposed to be checking wikis and that's not me. Uninstalled it to reinstall Fortnite. I'm going back to it later, but I'd rather spend time working on my Dredd megablock in fortnite's creative mode.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 12, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

NSMBU is uninspired but the level design is pretty good.

The level design is the most boring thing about it. A complete regression from Mario 3 and World.
All it has going for it is the art.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Mister Facetious posted:

The level design is the most boring thing about it. A complete regression from Mario 3 and World.
All it has going for it is the art.
This is a quote from bizarro world yes?

If you only go through the first couple worlds maybe this is true. But the only issue with the game is the art, and that was the main reason for the push back against it, as the *new* brand was toxic at the time, this one being considered the 3rd release in as many years. But the addition of the coop blocks and later levels, especially if you get into Luigi's stuff, are some of the best in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Song of Memories was pretty regretful, which is a shame since even the bad VNs I've read were at least bad in an interesting or batshit way but that might as well have been created with an anime cliche generator.