Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's not buying a game, that's buying a developer. That's actually how Valve got anybody to notice them when they bought half the Quake II mod scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
They're pulling Rocket League from Steam as soon as it launches on EGS according to a media press release they sent out. Supposedly the Steam version will still get updates, but I'm expecting a Sweeney tweet about exclusive EGS content shortly after it launches on EGS.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even EA left its old games on Steam when they went all in on their Origin client. EA!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh wonderful, they're just retroactively poaching games that are really good now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

Even EA left its old games on Steam when they went all in on their Origin client. EA!

Didn't they pull Dragon Age 2?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Pylons posted:

Didn't they pull Dragon Age 2?

They implemented an in-game store that didn't give a cut to Valve, so it got removed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cynic Jester posted:

They're pulling Rocket League from Steam as soon as it launches on EGS according to a media press release they sent out.

quote:

We are continuing to sell Rocket League on Steam, and have not announced plans to stop selling the game there.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

The internet lied to me.

quote:

Correction: While Epic’s original statement about Rocket League’s continued existence on Steam seemed like a sure euphemism that it was getting pulled — which we stated as fact — it can also be interpreted as Epic not having yet made the decision to pull. We’ve corrected this story to explain that.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1121011708292734976

But I thought the exclusivity deal comes with a lot of money so it doesn't matter if the game actually sells so dunno what's going on here.

I think that was just a bad attempt at a joke. They are Swedes, after all. We can be sort of awkward at times.

Well, that seems like a rather pointless way to ruffle some feathers, even though I personally don't give 2 cents about the e-sports side of the game.
If they still update the Steam version, I can at least keep playing it as usual.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It is pretty stupid that their "FAQ" didn't bother to mention the one thing that people would actually want to know.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

~Coxy posted:

It is pretty stupid that their "FAQ" didn't bother to mention the one thing that people would actually want to know.

Because everyone knows it will happen, the moment epic only content comes out rocket league on steam will might as well be dead for the devs

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/galyonkin/status/1122286978425327616

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
That is amazing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Um, what? :eyepop:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Only the finest artisanal store pages on the EGS.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I am imagining the year 2045 and I am telling my grandkids when we are looking back to video game industry dramas in the decade 2010-2019, that I witnessed the Star Citizen fiasco (that may still exist in beta development in 2045) and how Sweeny started the store wars. As long as Fortinite earns them easy 8 digits monthly, this drama won’t end. :allears:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm surprised someone actually said that in public.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rascyc posted:

I'm surprised someone actually said that in public.

Twitter has a stupid way of making people think it's not the most public loving thing possible and they don't truly understand how widespread their tweets are. You'd reach a smaller audience standing in your town's center and shouting things.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Also worth mentioning that Epic announcing the Psyonix thing on May 1st was good timing or else everyone would instead be talking about how despite horrific work conditions at the company, they still missed every single improvement for the EGS targeted for April on the roadmap

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Pirate Jet posted:

Also worth mentioning that Epic announcing the Psyonix thing on May 1st was good timing or else everyone would instead be talking about how despite horrific work conditions at the company, they still missed every single improvement for the EGS targeted for April on the roadmap

So my Star Citizen comparison funnily fits: 2 Multimillionaires throwing money around without a fundamental concept or plan while missing milestones nonstop.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm actually kind of surprised no devs have pulled the "Epic approached us and we SAID NO! BUY OUR GAME ON STEAM" card yet.

Also Steam/Valve have been pretty quiet all things considered. I wonder if they're going to see how things pan our for 6 months before doing anything to "counter".

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised no devs have pulled the "Epic approached us and we SAID NO! BUY OUR GAME ON STEAM" card yet.

Also Steam/Valve have been pretty quiet all things considered. I wonder if they're going to see how things pan our for 6 months before doing anything to "counter".

Unless they're announcing better support for developers or improved/additional developer features, they have nothing they really could announce. They're already doing better on the consumer front than EGS by far and appealing to developers is Epic's entire strategy.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

People managed to figure out, based on the investor returns for Phoenix Point on Fig, that Epic paid probably about $2.25 million for its exclusivity.

$2.25 mil for Phoenix Point. And I’m sure stuff like Borderlands is getting wayyyyy more.

Based on some figures I’ve heard thrown around by indie dev friends, you’d have to be stupid not to take Epic’s deal right now. I’m still gonna complain about it on the internet, but I don’t blame any indie developer who takes Epic’s contracts. I just hate when they bullshit about it, like Supergiant saying that EGS “connects them closer to the game’s community during early access” when EGS doesn’t have forums, reviews, or even comment sections.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Handsome Ralph posted:

I think Valve is just watching it all crash and burn. Epic's doing pretty badly on the PR front, dunno how the sales stuff is going though.

Pirate Jet posted:

People managed to figure out, based on the investor returns for Phoenix Point on Fig, that Epic paid probably about $2.25 million for its exclusivity.

$2.25 mil for Phoenix Point. And I’m sure stuff like Borderlands is getting wayyyyy more.

Based on some figures I’ve heard thrown around by indie dev friends, you’d have to be stupid not to take Epic’s deal right now. I’m still gonna complain about it on the internet, but I don’t blame any indie developer who takes Epic’s contracts. I just hate when they bullshit about it, like Supergiant saying that EGS “connects them closer to the game’s community during early access” when EGS doesn’t have forums, reviews, or even comment sections.

That's nuts, no wonder people are doing the exclusives.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

I just hate when they bullshit about it, like Supergiant saying that EGS “connects them closer to the game’s community during early access” when EGS doesn’t have forums, reviews, or even comment sections.

If that's what they're looking for, isn't Discord's weird rear end model where they can sell the games through their official Discord channel way better?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

If that's what they're looking for, isn't Discord's weird rear end model where they can sell the games through their official Discord channel way better?

They really just needed to put something in the press release that wasn't "They paid us a lot of money and we need it"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Not having a shopping cart is funny but this is hilarious

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Handsome Ralph posted:

The Risk of Rain guys kind of implied that with how quickly they where announcing they where releasing on Steam during that Gearbox announcement of Borderlands 3.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The pro move now would be to turn around on the EGS deal and instead announce that your game will be exclusively on GOG

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Not having a shopping cart is funny but this is hilarious

Don't make fun of the trailblazers working so hard at making a shop on the internet. That kind of groundbreaking and unproven technology has never been done before. They are building the technological foundation for the eCommerce of tomorrow. What's next? Online bookstores?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

it took their support almost 4 weeks (with 2 friendly reminders in between) to make it possible that I can buy games with money epic gave me once to buy games from them.

they should be forced to see the sonic movie. gotta go fast

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean, why risk your lovely game selling like rear end when you can just get a giant lump and at least recoup a good amount of your development costs?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
There are enough people out there ready to paint steam as the aggressor because its the older company the moment they do anything. People will buy up Sweeney's Messiah Complex in so far that they have more of a grievance with Gabe and how "He deserves it". Doesn't matter that EPIC is only angling to be a worse and lazier monopoly that pays you money if they expect you to be a "good game" or have a huge enough name. The moment valve does something, people will forget all the poo poo EPIC does and put blinders specifically on steam's actions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All bow to Tim Sweeny the freedom fighter of pc gaming.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

When you buy a Ubisoft game on Epic it will install the game TWICE because despite the exclusivity period Epic hasn't figured out how to work with other launchers like Uplay. After the double install of 50gb for Division 2 you have to manually delete the original Epic install to free up the space. It can then launch via Uplay with no Epic launcher needed at all because it's actually just a Uplay code mounted to the Epic launcher with some tape and string.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

When you buy a Ubisoft game on Epic it will install the game TWICE because despite the exclusivity period Epic hasn't figured out how to work with other launchers like Uplay. After the double install of 50gb for Division 2 you have to manually delete the original Epic install to free up the space. It can then launch via Uplay with no Epic launcher needed at all because it's actually just a Uplay code mounted to the Epic launcher with some tape and string.

:downsbravo:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Is this... really true? :eyepop:

If so, that is amazingly dumb :D

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bofast posted:

Is this... really true? :eyepop:

If so, that is amazingly dumb :D
There are other bigger threads about it but here is a concise one: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/comments/b1b9y9/solved_double_files_from_epic_games_and_ubisoft/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-12-outer-wilds-becomes-another-epic-games-store-pc-exclusive-and-some-backers-are-not-happy

Another crowdfunding game succumbs to Epic's sack of coke money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The frustrating thing about the crowdfunding games getting swallowed up is that these developers wouldn't even be on Epic's radar if they hadn't already gained a following from community funding. So they take donations with certain promises implied and then take huge sums from Epic which pretty much trivializes the support that consumers provided to get them noticed to begin with.

They're pretty much preying on developers' fears of drowning in the sea of lovely Steam asset flips and the devs are ignoring the fact that Epic would not give two shits about them if they hadn't already gotten community attention.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 12, 2019