Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kindest Forums User posted:

Well, for one, Maduro did just stop a counterrevolutionary coup that was lead by an American-backed pro-interventionist. Maduro sucks, but me personally, I'm happy he prevented the Venezuelan people from experiencing the same horrifying suffering the Iraqi or Libyan people went through.

Unfortunately, like I said previously, institutions in their infancy do not have strong mechanisms to prevent erosion from their original values. Especially when so many people want to see them destroyed. So I don't doubt big mistakes are being made, if not outright corruption. But their is one important mechanism that will insure accountability in the long run:

teleSUR and the Bolivarian movement are supposed to be for the will of the people. It's in their frigging constitution. It's what the people fought for. And now the people are armed and willing to defend the Bolivarian movement. If Maduro and teleSUR degrade into a bourgeoise institution that only exist to defend the rich and powerful. The conditions of the people will deteriorate and they will realize that their leader has betrayed them. And they will oust the government. Kinda like how Guiado tried, except he only had the rich, and few hundred military men, and Uncle Sam to help him. Not a popular movement. Not successful. An armed popular movement will be successful.

That's a lot of words to say 'no, I don't know poo poo about the country or its recent history'. Do you want to rectify that? Because the best way is to read more, ask our local venegoons some questions, and not go into multi-paragraph rants about your deep and sincere love for kleptocrat propaganda from a government that tortures journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
it's right there

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you okay buddy? You seem to be having a moment

I've seen quite a few articles on the insidious nature of the alt right. Dozens in 2015, and even more in the years that followed.

Fair and balanced Nazi propaganda

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I've seen quite a few articles on the insidious nature of the alt right. Dozens in 2015, and even more in the years that followed.

wow they managed to publish some articles critical of the alt-right, great job
then they gave regula rop eds to bret stephens and bari weiss
the truth is in the middle I guess

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

VitalSigns posted:

You can literally defend state media the exact same way.

"Well I guess the public just cared more about the war we sensationalized in 96-point headlines for 10 months than the story on elite corruption that we buried below the fold, we have no professional or ethical responsibility whatsoever"

State media isn't beholden to the tastes of consumers though, that's entirely the point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kawasaki Nun posted:

State media isn't beholden to the tastes of consumers though, that's entirely the point.

Neither's private media. People get interested in what they're shown, not shown what they're interested in. You simply need a number of different companies offering slightly different flavours of the same thing and you have 'consumer choice'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

which makes it better
writing what the people want to hear is directly opposed to the public interest

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Right I'm not trying to say the msm works well or serves it purpose or anything else. I'm simply trying to illustrate how there on constraints in a competitive media system that are absent for state run media.

Everyone equivicaring between SUR and the NYT seems to be conveniently if ignoring how these factors function in reporting within the USA

Market forces don't result in better media, it makes it demonstrably worse

God drat lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Does the majority of NYT consumers have a taste for puff pieces on Nazis.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

....kind of?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a lot of words to say 'no, I don't know poo poo about the country or its recent history'. Do you want to rectify that? Because the best way is to read more, ask our local venegoons some questions, and not go into multi-paragraph rants about your deep and sincere love for kleptocrat propaganda from a government that tortures journalists.

read more (of what I tell you to read)
ask locals (but only the ones I tell you to ask)

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I bet they do because it's a rag.

How trustworthy would any of you find a potential state operated paper in the USA?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 12, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Right I'm not trying to say the msm works well or serves it purpose or anything else. I'm simply trying to illustrate how there on constraints in a competitive media system that are absent for state run media.

Everyone equivicaring between SUR and the NYT seems to be conveniently if ignoring how these factors function in reporting within the USA

All else being equal I would absolutely put a lot more trust in a story from the New York Times on domestic American politics compared to a TelesSUR article on domestic Venezuelan politics. There are many reasons to expect that the New York Times will have better reporting and a much stronger incentive to describe things accurately. I don't think many people here would seriously argue that the New York Times, even with its biases, is not a better source for learning about domestic issues.

On the other hand the New York Times reporting on foreign countries with governments that the American government doesn't like is much less reliable. Especially since modern propaganda relies more on emphasis than outright deception. The media environment is so saturated with superfluous and competing claims on your attention that an effective propaganda campaign merely needs to ensure that a specific kind of story gets repeated constantly, whereas contradictory stories are covered with intensely and allowed to quickly fade into obscurity. Indeed, the fact that a few critical stories do get published has the predictable effect of enhancing the average news readers confidence in the publication, which is arguably a much savvier and more advanced form of propaganda than the comparatively crude kinds of lies we typically associate with state propaganda.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm interested to see if he makes that argument though since it would destroy his stance that the paper is objective and reliable

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah I bet they do because it's a rag

Haha ok then glad you agree

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Helsing posted:

On the other hand the New York Times reporting on foreign countries with governments that the American government doesn't like is much less reliable.

On the contrary, it's reliably bad whenever a country's interests are opposed to the interests of the US government.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Darth Walrus posted:

you are so loving stupid. I never expressed any sincere support for Maduro or teleSUR. I'm trying to make the point that maybe we should provide a little more nuance than "the entire state apparatus and it's institutions are now corrupt and most be surgically removed and replaced with...…", "the only reason Maduro receives any popular support is because he tortures journalists to say what he wants, or kills then one who say what he doesn't", "the military only support Maduro because he steals empanadas from the poor and fills their belly full".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dirty lousy tramp posted:

read more (of what I tell you to read)
ask locals (but only the ones I tell you to ask)

It takes a special kind of person to take such personal affront to the idea of diversifying their perspective on a country they know so little about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kindest Forums User posted:

you are so loving stupid. I never expressed any sincere support for Maduro or teleSUR. I'm trying to make the point that maybe we should provide a little more nuance than "the entire state apparatus and it's institutions are now corrupt and most be surgically removed and replaced with...…", "the only reason Maduro receives any popular support is because he tortures journalists to say what he wants, or kills then one who say what he doesn't", "the military only support Maduro because he steals empanadas from the poor and fills their belly full".

And do you have information that might encourage such nuance? Tell you what - since you brought them up, describe the composition and activities of the colectivos armados. Cite multiple sources - your choice.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
There is a not small contingent of posters itt that believe anyone who presents opinions or observations contrary to their worldview are either under the control of malicious forces or are unwitting collaborators.

And they demand to be taken seriously

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It takes a special kind of person to take such personal affront to the idea of diversifying their perspective on a country they know so little about.

it takes a completely ordinary kind of person to play semantic games like this

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

There is a not small contingent of posters itt that believe anyone who presents opinions or observations contrary to their worldview are either under the control of malicious forces or are unwitting collaborators.

:ironicat:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you posting this without irony because that is hilarious.

You are the epitome of your post.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

This is literally the dumbest loving criticism, you've lifted wholesale from someone else. No poo poo they should have diversified. Guess they should have clicked their fingers and just diversified.

If only the PSUV was in some type of position of power and had some grasp of the economy then they could have made inroads to doing so. :(

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Flayer posted:

Are you posting this without irony because that is hilarious.

You are the epitome of your post.

I sort of assumed it was meant to be funny because it could easily apply to a subset of either 'side'.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

punk rebel ecks posted:

If only the PSUV was in some type of position of power and had some grasp of the economy then they could have made inroads to doing so. :(

Someone just laid out the massive hurdles to doing this within the last few pages.

It's not a choice made in a vacuum. It's a choice made in the context of a completely global economy where a number of countries are already many steps ahead of you in any industry you'd try to break in to such that you would struggle to support it even domestically in the modern era of global free trade

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Majorian posted:

There also shouldn't be anyone here who outright supports a right-wing coup backed by Trump, Bolton, and Abrams, but they do exist, unfortunately.

I don't think there's a single person who has said that, ever. Even M Discordia. The closest it ever got was some frustrated Venezuelan goon who posted "gently caress, I doubt a right-wing coupist would even be worse than Maduro." I doubt that person (I forget who, maybe fnox?) would even agree with that statement if it was quoted, but rather it was said out of frustration.

That's why the whole "pro / anti coup" stuff is so frustrating, literally no one supports a military coup, and only a couple posters actually support Maduro. I doubt many posters even support Guaido anymore. I think he's a huge sack of poo poo now, at least, while I was on his side at the beginning. I became progressively more against him as time went on, and the actual (and fortunately, pathetic) coup attempt in April was the last straw for me. Now I don't even know what I hope happens that's in the realm of possibility. I guess that Maduro, Diosdado, and el-Aissami are packed up on a plane and sent to a gulag in Russia?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So basically VZ deserved to fall on its own sword without any outside interference?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Saladman posted:

I don't think there's a single person who has said that, ever. Even M Discordia. The closest it ever got was some frustrated Venezuelan goon who posted "gently caress, I doubt a right-wing coupist would even be worse than Maduro." I doubt that person (I forget who, maybe fnox?) would even agree with that statement if it was quoted, but rather it was said out of frustration.

There have been multiple people ITT who said "anything would be better than Maduro," and that they would gladly accept military help from the U.S.

e: I mean criminy, dude -

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I love how he goes "the US doesn't care about Venezuelans!" While not caring about Venezuelans himself.

I'm not 8 years old. Literally no Venezuelan in the right mind yearns for an intervention. What we want is for our country mates and our family to maybe get to a point in which eating isn't a coin toss between "picking up mangoes from the tree again" and "I got a liter of milk and my neighbor traded me some flour".

I hate the fact that we will very likely have to jump in bed with Trump, Bolsonaro and friends. The praise to them from Venezuelans in social networks disgusts me and makes me sad. But any help is welcomed, no matter the interests behind it, because we are loving starving.

"I don't want an invasion, but we're gonna need an invasion" is pretty :chloe: We also had a poster in here calling opposition to Guaido's failed coup "whitesplaining" and insisting that this thread is a "safe space."

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 12, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

So basically VZ deserved to fall on its own sword without any outside interference?

Well, the other option seems to be that the US military gives them a much bigger sword to fall on.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Majorian posted:

There have been multiple people ITT who said "anything would be better than Maduro," and that they would gladly accept military help from the U.S.

"I don't want an invasion, but we're gonna need an invasion" is pretty :chloe: We also had a poster in here calling opposition to Guaido's failed coup "whitesplaining" and insisting that this thread is a "safe space."

Eh again, that sort of sentiment is misguided but understandable. If the status quo is bad enough, it's easy to hope that any sudden change might lead to an improvement, even if that sudden change is far more likely to lead to a worse situation overall.

like don't mistake me this person is wrong as hell but it's a very human thing to believe that dramatic action is the solution to one's problems.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

A big flaming stink posted:

Eh again, that sort of sentiment is misguided but understandable. If the status quo is bad enough, it's easy to hope that any sudden change might lead to an improvement, even if that sudden change is far more likely to lead to a worse situation overall.

like don't mistake me this person is wrong as hell but it's a very human thing to believe that dramatic action is the solution to one's problems.

I would argue that it was actually correct back when Maduro was still refusing food aid. Now, not so much.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Majorian posted:

Yeah someone talking about how starvation trumps politics is very unsympathetic and totally counter-revolutionary.

What a maroon!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah someone talking about how starvation trumps politics is very unsympathetic and totally counter-revolutionary.

What a maroon!

yeah kinda since the US is the one inflicting starvation on the people of venezuela

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

yeah kinda since the US is the one inflicting starvation on the people of venezuela

They were at 40% food insecurity - Yemen-tier - and rising fast in 2014, before even Obama's microtargeted sanctions. It's genuinely unclear how much US sanctions had - or have - to do with Venezuelan starvation.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Condiv posted:

You sure Maduro isn't just eating all the empanadas himself?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

They were at 40% food insecurity - Yemen-tier - and rising fast in 2014, before even Obama's microtargeted sanctions. It's genuinely unclear how much US sanctions had - or have - to do with Venezuelan starvation.

Something tells me they're not helping

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What a maroon!

I know there's kinda a 'actually the coup is good and cool and sexy' script you guys all feel compelled to go through but you're just butchering it now.

"No one has said a us military led right wing coup would be GOOD they're just anti government in general for other reasons"

"Here's a post saying that"

"AH HEH HEH YEA I GUESS YOU LOVE PEOPLE STARVING"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

i don't really read that as pro-invasion as such, especially given the temporal context of

Keeshhound posted:

I would argue that it was actually correct back when Maduro was still refusing food aid. Now, not so much.

that post was in January, the attempted US/Brazil convoys were in February, and the Venezuelan government hadn't really shifted yet to "well yeah, now there's a crisis because economic war and increased sanctions have overwhelmed the noble and visionary Chavista government" and starting to actually coordinate some for UN, Red Cross, et al assistance

I'm not even sure Guaido had slid into "all options on the table" yet at that point, which was another development that colored responses to him specifically.

edit lol that post was from literally the day after Guaido's announcement in the first place, I thought January-Twenty-Something sounded familiar

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that post was in January, the attempted US/Brazil convoys were in February, and the Venezuelan government hadn't really shifted yet to "well yeah, now there's a crisis because economic war and increased sanctions have overwhelmed the noble and visionary Chavista government" and starting to actually coordinate some for UN, Red Cross, et al assistance

I was meaning the general sentiment of "even an invasion would be better than this" rather than a specific comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darth Walrus posted:

nah we've had studies showing the deleterious effect the sanctions had

https://twitter.com/ceprdc/status/1121417348806774790

quote:

This paper looks at some of the most important impacts of the economic sanctions imposed on Venezuela by the US government since August of 2017. It finds that most of the impact of these sanctions has not been on the government but on the civilian population.

The sanctions reduced the public’s caloric intake, increased disease and mortality (for both adults and infants), and displaced millions of Venezuelans who fled the country as a result of the worsening economic depression and hyperinflation. They exacerbated Venezuela’s economic crisis and made it nearly impossible to stabilize the economy, contributing further to excess deaths. All of these impacts disproportionately harmed the poorest and most vulnerable Venezuelans.

Even more severe and destructive than the broad economic sanctions of August 2017 were the sanctions imposed by executive order on January 28, 2019 and subsequent executive orders this year; and the recognition of a parallel government, which as shown below, created a whole new set of financial and trade sanctions that are even more constricting than the executive orders themselves.

We find that the sanctions have inflicted, and increasingly inflict, very serious harm to human life and health, including an estimated more than 40,000 deaths from 2017 to 2018; and that these sanctions would fit the definition of collective punishment of the civilian population as described in both the Geneva and Hague international conventions, to which the US is a signatory. They are also illegal under international law and treaties that the US has signed, and would appear to violate US law as well.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 12, 2019