Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

That Old Tree posted:

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1127311361082626050?s=19

Looks like Mr Discourse is getting ready to disrupt another paradigm. I wonder how many fake trans will sell out to The Man to fight his Revolution 100 ideas this time?

I can't wait to play a game about fighting the capitalist destruction of the environment by allying with oil executives, NRA lobbyists, sovereign citizens, and "heated gaming moment" YouTube personalities, it's gonna be lit as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kai Tave posted:

I can't wait to play a game about fighting the capitalist destruction of the environment by allying with oil executives, NRA lobbyists, sovereign citizens, and "heated gaming moment" YouTube personalities, it's gonna be lit as gently caress.
I figure the lineup would be "some kind of conflation of coal executives and coal miners in West Virginia and Ohio," the oil and gas company, radical Islamophobes (because you see, the Middle East has the oil, and the oil is the problem - no middle east, no oil, no problem) and some kind of misbegotten pan-Latinx organization which combines Chavez, Castro and the cartels, perhaps even literally into a Cha-Ca-Ca, or "CCC" for short you see, it's very clever.

Your characters will have some kind of weird magical fire-derived power which produces A CARBON FOOTPRINT, and therefore you personally may cause the problem you seek to avert, avoid or mitigate, because one dude's magic Iron Man suit putting out as much fumes as a single diesel rig is morally equivalent to etc. etc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, that's him. And he was that bad right off the bat, because I'm referring to the kerfuffle when Sigmata released and part of his mini-meltdown was "my trans friends agree with me and everyone disagreeing with me is just a performative-woke cishet guy appropriating minority spaces, which is definitely 100% not exactly what I'm doing." He walked it back a little when some of the trans people criticizing his game were like "the gently caress you say?"

Wow, gently caress him! I somehow missed that part, or it didn't stick in my mind when clearly it should have.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertad! posted:

So this brings up a question as I am not a video game designer. I have heard that PFO's game map can take 1 real world hour for your character to traverse on foot from one far end to another. Unless 99.9% of the map is literally a flat featureless plane, wouldn't this be a massive strain on the server's processing power or whatever the terminology is for an MMO's ability to handle a bunch of stuff going on at once in different places?

No. Asheron's Call did that for a landmass the size of Rhode Island twenty years ago.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Dreqqus posted:

I read through some of that KS thread, because I've never seen his nonsense firsthand. All the other terrible abuse/harrassment aside, Jesus H Christ that dude must be the most frustrating person alive.

The thing about zak is that the details of Mandy's callout were extremely credible because so many people have interacted with Zak and encountered how he behaves. most people piss off the industry in bulk, Zak was all about bespoke individual pissoffery with his unhinged argument style and the inability to ever ever ever let any argument go.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Foolster41 posted:

Zak claims in the KS that Evil Hat " provably and objectively done wrong". I don't see anything searching this thread mentioining that, what is he talking about?

Zak's idea of "provably done wrong" is "once disagreed with Zak, even in the mildest way or on the most trivial of things or both."

He's talking about the fact that Fred Hicks once mildly condemned him (after calling for ~civility~ for a while from people calling Zak out) and that some people who like Fate also don't like Zak being a rapist and queerphobic serial harasser, which automatically makes them worse than Hitler.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The fact that Zak's go-to insult is to call his opponents mentally ill should have instantly evaporated his faux lefty street cred years ago.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Slimnoid posted:

Looks like the post and all replies by the guy have been deleted.

Great progress!

According to remove Reddit, it was not the mods but rather the user themselves who removed the thread.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The fact that Zak's go-to insult is to call his opponents mentally ill should have instantly evaporated his faux lefty street cred years ago.

Speaking of, here's the story of a guy getting run out of the OSR by Zak:
https://twitter.com/goatmansgoblet/status/1127195944083128321?s=19

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
RE: that reddit thread.

I love it when someone barges into a conversation and proclaims they are bored by the conversation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

That Old Tree posted:

I have so many screenshots from pastaman re: zak. It's crazy.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The notion of F&F being a "successful right-wing harrassment mob" has put the dopiest smile on my face and a genuine warmth in my heart that makes it all feel worthwhile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Also 'Tipper Gore' which I use to remind the court that Zak is really old.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dawgstar posted:

Also 'Tipper Gore' which I use to remind the court that Zak is really old.
Frank Zappa faced down Tipper Gore in a Congressional Hearing (!) back in 1985, that's how old that reference is.

It's two years older than the original Forgotten Realms grey box setting module.
Gary Gygax was still at TSR when that went down.

Very relevant and on-point here in Hellworld 2019

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Every time this comes up I have to look up what tipper gore even is, because its such a nonsense term to me. And every time I find out its just some lady who advocated to get warning labels put on music CDs with sexual or violent content. And every time I'm just like "...why is this a bad thing?"

Zak's not just a shitheel, he is also stupid as gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gnome7 posted:

Every time this comes up I have to look up what tipper gore even is, because its such a nonsense term to me. And every time I find out its just some lady who advocated to get warning labels put on music CDs with sexual or violent content. And every time I'm just like "...why is this a bad thing?"

Zak's not just a shitheel, he is also stupid as gently caress.

I mean, it was a dumb moral panic that was absolutely, if not designed from the start, later used to target minorities and censor outsider voices while you never saw anyone at the time say someone like Johnny Cash or Guns and Roses needed to have 'warnings' which were just a backdoor excuse to ban things.

That doesn't change that it's an ancient reference, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hostile V posted:

The notion of F&F being a "successful right-wing harrassment mob" has put the dopiest smile on my face and a genuine warmth in my heart that makes it all feel worthwhile.
Totally, the thread where we're collectively pissing on Kevin Siembieda's fascist aesthetics, and I get high and bring up Fukuyama every couple pages, is a virtual freikorps.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's like comparing your dumb game being dunked on to the Night Trap panic, yea that actually was real dumb and we should laugh at it but also it's 2019 and that's your go-to and that's way funnier.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gnome7 posted:

There was a bit more to it than that. In the end it turned into some harmless bullshit, but that's not where it was heading before everyone got pissed off.

It was a huge issue at the time, because a non-government "committee" consisting entirely of professional pearl clutching politicians' wives briefly looked like it was going to get the power to point at any musician it didn't like and effectively issue a "your career is over" notice. It was eventually watered down to the generic "parental advisory: explicit lyrics" stickers after a bunch of weird poo poo went down, including Frank Zappa's senate testimony (which you definitely should watch) pissing them off so much that they got said sticker placed on his instrumental album Jazz From Hell.

And even that harmless little label was, at the time, a de-facto ban because most big stores wouldn't carry a product that had it, and pre-internet there weren't the same kinds of alternative distribution channels we have now. So if Walmart etc weren't carrying your album, you weren't just not making as much money, you were effectively unknown. And yeah, it wasn't being applied to the good ol' boys "I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down / she was cheating on me" explicitly violent sex and drugs lyrics, it was mostly punk, metal, and rap groups getting it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 12, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

It's a nice, subtle touch to imply the article that random furry posted about nuWW last summer was a Something Awful psyop.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What Zak S. doesn't realize is that anyone could be a goon. Any of his friends. Any of the women he's stalking to abuse. Anybody.

He also doesn't know that any goon is honor sworn to give the answer to "Do you have stairs in your house?" So Zak buddy if you're reading this: Start asking everyone you know.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

There was a bit more to it than that. In the end it turned into some harmless bullshit, but that's not where it was heading before everyone got pissed off.

It was a huge issue at the time, because a non-government "committee" consisting entirely of professional pearl clutching politicians' wives briefly looked like it was going to get the power to point at any musician it didn't like and effectively issue a "your career is over" notice. It was eventually watered down to the generic "parental advisory: explicit lyrics" stickers after a bunch of weird poo poo went down, including Frank Zappa's senate testimony (which you definitely should watch) pissing them off so much that they got said sticker placed on his instrumental album Jazz From Hell.

And even that harmless little label was, at the time, a de-facto ban because most big stores wouldn't carry a product that had it, and pre-internet there weren't the same kinds of alternative distribution channels we have now. So if Walmart etc weren't carrying your album, you weren't just not making as much money, you were effectively unknown. And yeah, it wasn't being applied to the good ol' boys "I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down / she was cheating on me" explicitly violent sex and drugs lyrics, it was mostly punk, metal, and rap groups getting it.

Yeah this was all 5 years before I was even born, so I hadnt heard of any of this stuff. Wikipedia only mentions the final result, not all that earlier buildup or the unequal application of the rules, which is all stuff I kinda knew about but didnt realize was mainly her fault. My bad.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, that's him. And he was that bad right off the bat, because I'm referring to the kerfuffle when Sigmata released and part of his mini-meltdown was "my trans friends agree with me and everyone disagreeing with me is just a performative-woke cishet guy appropriating minority spaces, which is definitely 100% not exactly what I'm doing." He walked it back a little when some of the trans people criticizing his game were like "the gently caress you say?"

This trans person just sees a pot calling kettles black. This guy is about as woke as Alyssa Milano-- which is to say, he's a loving embarrassment to activism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

What Zak S. doesn't realize is that anyone could be a goon. Any of his friends. Any of the women he's stalking to abuse. Anybody.

He also doesn't know that any goon is honor sworn to give the answer to "Do you have stairs in your house?" So Zak buddy if you're reading this: Start asking everyone you know.
Won't work. Nobody spending time around Zak S has ever been protected.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He reminds me of a man I knew in college who did some rapes. I do not like Zak S. I hope he dies, I think that would be good.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gnome7 posted:

Yeah this was all 5 years before I was even born, so I hadnt heard of any of this stuff. Wikipedia only mentions the final result, not all that earlier buildup or the unequal application of the rules, which is all stuff I kinda knew about but didnt realize was mainly her fault. My bad.

Nah that's cool, I can definitely see how it'd seem pretty harmless from that perspective.

BTW someone recently gifted me Fellowship and it's a fantastic game that I can't wait to play.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is this the Sigmata guy? Also, uh, it sounds like he got worse if he is, because I hadn't heard about him calling anyone a sellout, just being smug about how pragmaticly he understands insurrection.

Yeah, that's him. He's got me blocked for some reason, but his whole 'deal' is about how revolutionaries need to compromise with the oppressors standing on their throats in order to get anything done, because centrism is the only way forward. And how that is a Positive Thing for the revolutionaries.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's him. He's got me blocked for some reason, but his whole 'deal' is about how revolutionaries need to compromise with the oppressors standing on their throats in order to get anything done, because centrism is the only way forward. And how that is a Positive Thing for the revolutionaries.

Yeah, that much I knew, like how he literally used a CIA handbook on Arming the Moderate Rebels as the basis for his tactical engine in Sigmata. I just thought he was incompetent/both-sidesy, rather than a huge awful tool about marginalized people directly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
He said that SA was a dumpter fire like 4chan and he was only getting greif from white guys who were angry at his politics, while race, gender, and sexual minorities were supporting him via email. Then he said later he was kind of acting like Mitt Romney with his "binders full of women" but that didn't make him reevaluate anything he said or did so it was a meaningless concession.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, EVE only works because Iceland has discovered a way to tap into the power of spaceship nerds with high income.

EVE Online works because there's a massive safe zone where 95% of the playerbase lives and never leaves, where PvP is only possible if you're willing to suicide into the space cops to do it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Man, taking a closer read now you can see all his little tricks in play.

Check out the misdirect on Zak's last post there. Engaging with that only leads to a migraine.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Man, taking a closer read now you can see all his little tricks in play.

Check out the misdirect on Zak's last post there. Engaging with that only leads to a migraine.

Zak would probably say posted:

Excuse me sir, but claiming that was a "misdirect" is actually defamation. Therefore, you are liable in court for everything you say on me because you're lying. I was literally on my phone to my lawyer over this. Are you willing to sign a statement under penalty of perjury that you are telling the truth of my intent?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Zak was definitely not listening carefully enough to his lawyer explaining defamation burdens of proof.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nickoten posted:

Zak was definitely not listening carefully enough to his lawyer explaining defamation burdens of proof.

Zak would definitely say this in my honest and true opinon posted:

Actually that's a lie, you weren't there and therefore: lying. Will you apologize? If not you are acting in bad faith. My lawyer just told me that. Lawyer lawyer lawyer!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Zak was lying through his teeth about what his lawyer said because it suited his purpose to browbeat his "enemy" into submission, and that's generously assuming he even spoke to a lawyer in the first place.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Zak was lying through his teeth about what his lawyer said because it suited his purpose to browbeat his "enemy" into submission, and that's generously assuming he even spoke to a lawyer in the first place.

well i mean, i made that assumption, because I called a free legal aid service yesterday, and asked them what my legal recourse were if people were saying untrue and hurtful things on a website, like calling me a liar, saying that I was an rear end in a top hat, and that I engaged in harassment, and was promptly told that this service was for serious inquiries and that I could face criminal charges for making prank calls to it. When I explained what the purpose of the call was, they informed me that very few people have ever managed to sue someone successfully for calling them an rear end in a top hat, and that getting lawyers involved for doing so is a drat good way to both flush my money down the toilet and let everyone know you are, in fact, kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Mind you, if this was repeated, recorded, intentional non-stop bullshit, especially after you've been told to stop, that could be a matter for the police in my country. The more and longer it goes on also can be a factor, etc, especially if someone begins to fear for his safety. But going "uh, dude, look at this guy's posts and tell me you want to support or associate someone who behaves like this", especially when these are a matter of public record, and the person you're pointing out will neither deny it or say it's being taken out of context. If you emailed Zak right now and said "Why can't you just let this go?" he would reply with a very passionate response that you never ever let these things go. In my country, you cannot point to someone else's behavior and go "oh my god dude" and get sued.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Going back to the Fred Hicks and Evil Hat thing: remember that Zak likes to reframe this whole affair as some dumbass tabletop RPG war between storygame groups and the OSR, rather than the antipathy being directed specifically at him (and related friends, because Zak always drags friends in) by other indie tabletop RPG designers across rule fandoms.

He also tries to force people to come out for or against him, and will harass people until they make a declaration either way (but in his mind it should be in support of him, obviously). Fred Hicks doing anything less than full-throated support for Zak puts him in Zak's enemy camp by default, and conveniently provides him with another circle of indie devs to add to his conspiracy chart.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the really cool things about the American legal system is that if you're a stupid rear end in a top hat and you have the money, you can pay a lawyer to tell you that your pettiest grievances are tortious. You may have to fire a few good lawyers before you find one desperate enough, but I'm pretty sure the job market for lawyers is still very bad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also a non-zero chance that Zak's lawyer has correctly identified him as a trust-fund rube and is milking him by the billable hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the really cool things about the American legal system is that if you're a stupid rear end in a top hat and you have the money, you can pay a lawyer to tell you that your pettiest grievances are tortious. You may have to fire a few good lawyers before you find one desperate enough, but I'm pretty sure the job market for lawyers is still very bad.

Nick Rekieta's ears are burning!