Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Beast hunter start is very strong but the gold penalty is absolutely brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone think this will be on deep discount again during the Steam spring sale?

I was finally ready to dip my toe into the Battle Brothers pool, and I think the sale ended minutes before I went to the Steam page. :suicide:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Haven't tested milita yet. I'm trying not to count it because a) it's loving annoying to play with 16 dudes and b) if the game scaling doesn't adapt to the increased number of fieldable guys mailita is cheaty as gently caress. Like losing "Noble" type backgrounds is not bad at all, the best is the Hedge Knights and they're by no means required to have a decent company.

lol "cheaty as gently caress"

This isn't the 18 bros mod, dude, this is a part of the game balanced by the devs, it's just that in my opinion the tradeoff of giving up the best bros in exchange for fielding more is weighted in favour of making you stronger. You'll note also that they've already done some balancing from their original intentions, in the blog where they described the militia they said it would be 18 on the field at once. Militia owns.

Also worth noting that the hiring restrictions are actually a lot more restrictive than you would think until you try the start. It isn't just that nobles won't join you, it's that only the lowest of the low will join you. Like for example, in addition to not seeing any adventurous nobles or hedge knights, I also don't see any monks, cultists, squires, bowyers, hunters, apprentices, historians, raiders, hell I don't think I've even seen any wildmen. The best you get are militia and brawlers, but other than that you're sorting through farmhands, fishermen, cripples, vagabonds, and so on.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

vyelkin posted:

you're sorting through farmhands, fishermen, cripples, vagabonds, and so on.

Sounds like normal to me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This actually made me curious about it so I went to the Wiki, and it seems to me that the restriction for Peasant Militia is that you can only hire backgrounds from the "Lowborn" category, which includes:

Beggar, Brawler, Cripple, Daytaler, Deserter, Farmhand, Fisherman, Gravedigger, Graverobber, Houndmaster, Militia, Miner, Poacher, Ratcatcher, Refugee, Thief, Vagabond

This seems to exclude some backgrounds that you might think you should be able to hire, like other working people (Bowyer or Caravan Hand or Apprentice or Servant, for example) or people who might have started out as lowborn but have lived a life since then (Retired Soldier, Beast Slayer, Witchhunter). But there you have it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Turns out wildmen are actually all nobles in their tribes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Worth mentioning that I think that list might be incomplete (that's just what I got off the wiki) because I have a Bard from my starting party. I don't remember seeing any bards for hire, but whether that's because they're rare to begin with or because you can't hire them even though you might start with one, I don't know.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
16 houndmasters releasing an army of good boys on every fight sounds hilarious. I've played my lone wolf game where I only keep the absolute best guys I can find and it's been pretty fun. I've recruited another hedge knight because I want to see if I can get the event where he will fight my lone wolf but 50 days or so and nothing has happened yet. You kinda have to have extremely good mercs because the 12 man limit means if your guys get injured they will have to fight through it in the next battle. I'm using the temple alot now.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone think this will be on deep discount again during the Steam spring sale?

I was finally ready to dip my toe into the Battle Brothers pool, and I think the sale ended minutes before I went to the Steam page. :suicide:

I just bought this for my friend last night on GMG. Looks like it’s still on sale there for $13.50. You lose the ability to do the Steam refund, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ihatepants posted:

I just bought this for my friend last night on GMG. Looks like it’s still on sale there for $13.50. You lose the ability to do the Steam refund, though.

Thanks, but it says unavailable in Canada. Although Warriors of the North DLC is....

GMG has been having some weird rear end region-locking issues lately. Maybe I can VPN it from them.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Thanks, but it says unavailable in Canada. Although Warriors of the North DLC is....

GMG has been having some weird rear end region-locking issues lately. Maybe I can VPN it from them.

Oh, that is indeed odd. It even says on the page for me that you can activate the purchase in Canada, so the code itself isn't region locked.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Can I just take a moment to point out that these new music tracks in this DLC are dope as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSpvByatWes

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Barbarian Chosen don't mess around, they are basically human versions of Orc Warriors.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ihatepants posted:

Oh, that is indeed odd. It even says on the page for me that you can activate the purchase in Canada, so the code itself isn't region locked.

Yeah, GMG's region system has been all over the place lately. As you said, games clearly labelled for a region will all of sudden be not available, then return and disappear once again at random.

Still, VPN worked and game throws no region nagging on Steam, so it's all good. Thanks for the tip!

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

The new armoured unholds are hilarious. They apparently have a chance of going feral if there is no beast master nearby. I took a barbarian king mission that I shouldn’t have and was already resigned to losing most of my men. Lo and behold, the unhold spawns too far away from the beast master and goes bonkers on his own team after two turns.

Still lost three dudes to the barbarian king though.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Did the Barb King count as champion?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Militia start feels like it was made just for me because I'm both bad at the game, and a cheap-rear end. Even before the expansion I would rarely spend big money on a new-hire, instead preferring to buy a bunch of random gutter trash and equip them with whatever second-hand equipment I had lying around.

Well, now I get 16 badly equipped idiots to play with. Its day 20 and I think I've lost 14 men so far. No big deal. I just sweep up whatever trash is available in each town I pass through, slap a spear in their hands, and keep on truckin'. Until they hit level three they're just a faceless spear-holding meatshield.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Personally I would hate not being able to hire a bowyer, cause of the Masterwork Bow event.

The limited selection makes sense though, it's only the undesirables and the laborers who are welcome in that company. I will call my company Les Miserables.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I lost my lone wolf run to my first encounter with chosen. I knew the site had a legendary and I wanted it. there were 12 chosen to my 12 men... it did not end well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The peasant militia start is hilarious. You can take fights you'd have no business winning early on with other starts since swarming is a valid tactic.
Also I somehow started with a Bard with 59 MA.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Broken Cog posted:

The peasant militia start is hilarious. You can take fights you'd have no business winning early on with other starts since swarming is a valid tactic.
Also I somehow started with a Bard with 59 MA.

One of my MVPs in my longest-running game is a Minstrel that ended up with 85 MA at level 11. Respect the lute.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone got the new 2h axe with Split yet? What's the stats like?

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Bardiche : 75-95 damage 40% ignore armor 130% damage to armor 24 shield damage 16 fatigue
Compared to the great axe:
Greataxe : 80-100 damage 40% ignore armor 150% damage to armor 36 shield damage 16 fatigue

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That sounds good, 30% more armour damage and 5% more ignore armour vs a greatsword, in exchange for -10 damage. Higher shield damage as well but how often do you actually break shields?

In practical terms this comes out at about 15% more armour damage per hit from a bardiche compared to a GS and roughly the same damage dealt directly to hp. GS still probably generally better due to the super high utility of having two different AoE attacks (and its unique single target attack is very underrated), but 2h axes are at least no longer completely rear end.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Good news for modders, they changed the file structure, each company background is now a separate scenario script which can easily be modded. Someone just released a brandnew version of the 18 bro mod on Nexus, for all backgrounds.

You can also easily edit it yourself from there, for example for different world scaling. It's probably also not too hard to change certain things like the Militia's recruitment restrictions, talents or starting items. Guess creating a new company background from scratch might be possible too...

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/76

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Also this seed has been making the rounds on Discord, use for a Lone Wolf start, then report back what you think of him: OQCMWOTZND

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How do you deal with a group of 15 Nachzehrers on day 20?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Broken Cog posted:

You run.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Showed my girlfriend the game. She started a raiders campaign, named them "Evil Vikings", picked the banner with the decapitated guy, and proceeded to hunt as many trader caravans as possible.

game good

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I finally ran into some (3) Schrats and, uh. I am not very happy with these things.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nordick posted:

So I finally ran into some (3) Schrats and, uh. I am not very happy with these things.

Get axes. Lots of axes.

Their attacks are bullshit, but once you break their shield they don't seem to be able to throw it out anymore until they replace it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Caros posted:

Get axes. Lots of axes.

Their attacks are bullshit, but once you break their shield they don't seem to be able to throw it out anymore until they replace it.

Ohhhh, I didn't suss this out yet, that ought to help. I did have a shitload of axes but was trying to focus the things down one by one. Thanks.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nordick posted:

Ohhhh, I didn't suss this out yet, that ought to help. I did have a shitload of axes but was trying to focus the things down one by one. Thanks.

Thank the many bros who died to bring us this information.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Just whittled down a schrat over 3-4 turns with 8 people hoping he missed a bunch, time to put some axes in my inventories.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Schrats are also much easier if you lead them out of the forest they spawn in. They'll usually chase you onto flat terrain and that makes fighting them less of a chore because you can maneuver your bros to avoid their AOE lines, whereas in forests you're often stuck fighting them with choke points that make them impossible to avoid.

Longaxes are also your friends for fights against Schrats.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Day 25 and I finally got my militia to the point where everyone on the front line has mail armor. God drat this is a powerful fighting unit. Shame about the 12 dudes that had to get ground up to get to this point though. I really enjoy the fact that losing a guy isnt the end of the world in this start.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Broken Cog posted:

Spear wall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Spears rule for Nachzehrer things, can confirm.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Spear wall entirely owns, they'll just walk into it constantly and die. It's even worth giving your best melee skill bro a spear when against that many, because he'll almost always knock em back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Spear walls are great, but at day 20 your bros are level 3-4 at most, and against 15+ ghouls, there is always one that gets past and messes everything up.

Edit: Also you need to think ahead and have enough spears for everyone.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 13, 2019