Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Good tutorials on ignoring mechanics and burning down the boss, you mean.

Yeah, how to act in a group, that’s what they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, that's cool. When you controller heal, how do you target allies fast enough?

Tapping up/down quickly works just fine. No fight punishes you for the half second difference between tapping that and swerving a mouse over unless people are unable to not stand in orange circles.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I tried BA again and got to Ozma, but DC's, people timing out during the explanation, and it generally being 1:30 AM sort of made it a valiant but short attempt. Still, I have to say, as much of a slog as much of Eureka is, BA is a ton of fun and something I definitely wish was a bit more accessible because I think it's content that a lot of people would like.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I kind of hope that they keep Eureka syncing us to the same level/ilvl so that the Eureka gear you've earned retains it's usefulness. Part of the fun of collecting some poo poo like Speed Belt was that it would be useful for YEARS instead of just the patch cycle/expansion it was from and Eureka would be a way to retain that. I doubt it will happen because I'm sure everyone is typing how insane that is, but yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

I kind of hope that they keep Eureka syncing us to the same level/ilvl so that the Eureka gear you've earned retains it's usefulness. Part of the fun of collecting some poo poo like Speed Belt was that it would be useful for YEARS instead of just the patch cycle/expansion it was from and Eureka would be a way to retain that. I doubt it will happen because I'm sure everyone is typing how insane that is, but yeah.

I'm really curious to see what they do to Eureka next patch cycle. If they make it more open that'd be nice but a selfish part of me hopes they don't so I can go in once it's freaking dead and farm up things with +2 gear to sell for millions of gil.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I hope they remove Eureka next patch. Bwahahaha

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Release the benchmark tool yoship!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

S.J. posted:

what the gently caress is a guildhest

Mostly terrible party scenarios that are god awful after the first three or four. Some of them are as bad to do in a pug as some endgame raid tier content because imagine trying to coordinate 3 other juggheads to make sure 7 mobs die within seconds of each other or they respawn at full health, all the while they are going ham on a single target trying to parse like it's savage content. I haven't ran one in like two years and when I did it was just tank queuing for the very first one so I could get it over with for an easy challenge log bump.

Givin fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 12, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
You also have to clear every guildhest in order to unlock Mentor Roulette, which I'm sure is the only reason anyone in the past three years has ever bothered to do the last one.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

S.J. posted:

what the gently caress is a guildhest

(]Don't worry about it.[)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In this specific case my friend is 50 Astrologer (He had a max level monk during Heavensward then stopped) and wanted to play together to do some stuff and suggested them. Then we did some leveling duty roulettes instead.

As a 29 archer I wait about 20 minutes for a roulette and with him in party there was, no joke, 0 wait time for the 3 dungeons we did

The story quests are doing a pretty good job of explaining the huge amount of poo poo there is to do and easing me into it. The story isn't bad either although I hear it gets much much better in the expansions.

I think I'm gonna buy the $20 version on PS4, redeem the free heavensward? It looks like if you buy the next expansion you get Stormblood too, better than paying $60 for the complete version now.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In this specific case my friend is 50 Astrologer (He had a max level monk during Heavensward then stopped) and wanted to play together to do some stuff and suggested them. Then we did some leveling duty roulettes instead.

As a 29 archer I wait about 20 minutes for a roulette and with him in party there was, no joke, 0 wait time for the 3 dungeons we did

The story quests are doing a pretty good job of explaining the huge amount of poo poo there is to do and easing me into it. The story isn't bad either although I hear it gets much much better in the expansions.

I think I'm gonna buy the $20 version on PS4, redeem the free heavensward? It looks like if you buy the next expansion you get Stormblood too, better than paying $60 for the complete version now.

Keep in mind that buying Shadowbringer only gets you Stormblood when it releases. Granted, the odds of you actually getting through all of ARR and Heavensward before July 2nd is pretty much nil, but it is something to note.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah, that's the way to go, I think.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm sure someone playing all day and on just one class could probably blow through the main plot to 3.55 and all the optional dungeons/raids before June, if they didn't obsess over doing every single sidequest as well. But yeah, there's definitely enough content to find plenty to do until July.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BisbyWorl posted:

Keep in mind that buying Shadowbringer only gets you Stormblood when it releases. Granted, the odds of you actually getting through all of ARR and Heavensward before July 2nd is pretty much nil, but it is something to note.

ARR and Heavensward are not that long if you just go through them and play daily without bothering with all the optional stuff, even at a relatively casual pace a more accurate estimate is probably a few weeks to a month rather than two months. Certainly not "pretty much nil" at least.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah I typically play very slowly so I thought that wasn't going to be an issue. I've been playing a lot recently because Ramadan changes around all our work timings and you have big chunks of the day where everything is closed. I am assuming once I'm back to normal working hours I will not be in any danger of finishing Heavensward

I also started every crafting job before I hit 30 and got a bunch to 15 and spent a lot of time doing triple triad and now I found out you can GARDEN and I wanna start doing that as soon as I can and I watch all the cutscenes and speak to NPCs and stuff, also I just unlocked Chocobo races?

I am in no danger of finishing Heavensward in 2 months personally

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanfy posted:

ARR and Heavensward are not that long if you just go through them and play daily without bothering with all the optional stuff, even at a relatively casual pace a more accurate estimate is probably a few weeks to a month rather than two months. Certainly not "pretty much nil" at least.

There is so much side content avaible between ARR and HW that it's easy to just laze around for a month

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cabbit posted:

I really could just spend all fuckin' day taking screenshots in this game, swear to God.

:yeah:

I'm not sure I'm any good at it, but that's not going to stop me!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tashilicious posted:

There is so much side content avaible between ARR and HW that it's easy to just laze around for a month

There's also 2.X between ARR and HW which makes it even easier to laze around for a month! :buddy:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Kanfy posted:

This sounds about right. My experience was I started playing in the last week of February and by mid-April I had finished all the ARR and HW MSQ content, so ~six weeks? This was maybe two hours a day on average (some more, some less, some none at all), including doing daily leveling roulette dungeons at least once a day and trying out a handful of other jobs past my main (got one job to 24 and another to 30). I barely did any side quests but still unlocked most of the major systems stuff (optional dungeons, etc., most everything with a blue quest marker). I could have done it in a month if I hadn't messed around with the other stuff on the side.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruteman posted:

This sounds about right. My experience was I started playing in the last week of February and by mid-April I had finished all the ARR and HW MSQ content, so ~six weeks? This was maybe two hours a day on average (some more, some less, some none at all), including doing daily leveling roulette dungeons at least once a day and trying out a handful of other jobs past my main (got one job to 24 and another to 30). I barely did any side quests but still unlocked most of the major systems stuff (optional dungeons, etc., most everything with a blue quest marker). I could have done it in a month if I hadn't messed around with the other stuff on the side.

Were you skipping cutscenes?

Most people I've seen take a lot longer than six weeks, playing two hours a day, to get to endgame. There is a considerable amount of story content in this game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tashilicious posted:

There is a considerable amount of filler in this game.
I will never forgive that banquet bullshit. Or a full two thirds of the 2.X meandering before they finally deign to let you begin HW.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

BisbyWorl posted:

There's also 2.X between ARR and HW which makes it even easier to laze around for a month! :buddy:

I truly feel sorry for people who haven't done this yet.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Tashilicious posted:

I wasn't :shrug: I actually enjoyed all the story stuff. Heck, I usually burn out on an MMO after a month or two, the story here kept me going longer than I usually do for this type of game.

quote:

Most people I've seen take a lot longer than six weeks, playing two hours a day, to get to endgame. There is a considerable amount of story content in this game.

Again, just to qualify: the 2 hours a day was average - in the beginning I was doing maybe 3, but I slowed down once I got into post-ARR/into HW.

I should also point out that I'm not at the endgame (ie end of Stormblood, last big thing I did was the Emanation trial) - the six weeks I was citing for my playtime was for ARR and HW content only.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tashilicious posted:

ARR is long, but it's not *that* long. Six weeks sounds about right assuming that they're not leveling other classes, which is where time spent can increase significantly.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I also started every crafting job before I hit 30 and got a bunch to 15 and spent a lot of time doing triple triad and now I found out you can GARDEN and I wanna start doing that as soon as I can and I watch all the cutscenes and speak to NPCs and stuff, also I just unlocked Chocobo races?

You have to be a homeowner to garden, they don’t let just anyone do it. I missed if you were on Excalibur or not, if you’re not there might be houses available that you can save up for. If you are on Excal then lol. Your other option is joining an fc with a house and getting gardening privileges from them. You can also buy flowerpots for fc rooms/apartments (which are a lot cheaper and more available than houses) but it’s really the same.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CYBEReris posted:

ARR is long, but it's not *that* long. Six weeks sounds about right assuming that they're not leveling other classes, which is where time spent can increase significantly.

I mean, the "how long to beat" website still has separate categories just for completing only main story content which is in the big numbers area.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CYBEReris posted:

ARR's main story quest is a decent length JRPG. HW & SB's are shorter. If you're main lining the story, you can plow through it. I have a friend that basically plays on weekends and he hit 46 in like 2.

He wants to play AST. I have a feeling he's gonna hit 2.x and stop. Putting the HW classes in ishgard was a dumb move.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

SonicRulez posted:

:yeah:

I'm not sure I'm any good at it, but that's not going to stop me!

You’re actually amazing at it, especially the couples shots. Kudos!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
The only good thing to running The Praetorium as I drag new FC members through the final ARR dungeons is getting cool shots like this:

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
Is it possible to combine the free week for returnees, and the call back a friend free week? If not, I should definitely get a friend to send me a free week so they get some feathers, right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Melum posted:

Is it possible to combine the free week for returnees, and the call back a friend free week? If not, I should definitely get a friend to send me a free week so they get some feathers, right?

You can, iirc it involves sending the request to return first, then claim the free week for returning, then claiming the call back a friend week.

E: Can someone else confirm this?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Mabinogi was my first taste of the MMO experience because it had the right price tag for a 14/15 year old: Free.

Mistakes were made.

My brother and I randomly talked about this, along with it coming up in the thread has made me decide to take a peek at my account....

:lol:

Yoshi P needs to steal the composition system from this game btw.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Leal posted:

You can, iirc it involves sending the request to return first, then claim the free week for returning, then claiming the call back a friend week.

E: Can someone else confirm this?

Can confirm, a friend did it exactly that way

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TastesLikeChicken posted:

You’re actually amazing at it, especially the couples shots. Kudos!

Thank you! I try very hard.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gonna poo poo my pants over people enforcing job restrictions on PF farm parties

yeah i bet that paladin is real critical for suzaku ex

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

gonna poo poo my pants over people enforcing job restrictions on PF farm parties

yeah i bet that paladin is real critical for suzaku ex

You are dodging a bullet. These are usually people who think the reason they can't clear content is because the group isn't meta enough when it is actually because they are garbage

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IIRC the thing where someone leaving a PF party causes their slot to be locked to whatever job they were unless the leader manually resets it is still a thing.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Yeah I've unintentionally locked things to specific jobs due to how PF works so my bad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish this game had better rapier options. I love RDM but a lot of their weapons are ugly. Also they're "rapiers" with saber handles and the "foils" are blatantly not foils! :goonsay: