Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The film even implicitly says "there's nothing we can do to fix that, so you workers just have to do better"

That's the crazy thing, normally this kind of film leads into "and here are the QA procedures we follow to make sure these errors don't happen/are caught". This one just ends with "sometimes we gently caress up, oh well". Real goddamn mystery why they went out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably a hefty dose of "we beat the nazis, anything else is easy" mentality that allowed them to not bother trying to improve.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Is there anything good online about the management failures? All I hear about are striking workers.

I'm not sure how easy it is to find online, but the BBC had a programme called Das Auto - The Germans, Their Cars and Us a few years ago that looked a bit more closely at this, ostensibly driven by the question "Why do Brits now drive German cars, instead of British cars?". The documentary came in a wake of similar "Germany"-related topics pre-Brexit vote, which was a bit odd, but it was really rather interesting beyond just that point.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What the cock is that poo poo?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Probably a hefty dose of "we beat the nazis, anything else is easy" mentality that allowed them to not bother trying to improve.

A mindset that is pervasive to this day.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/12/steep-slide-closes-spain-day-after-opening-injuries-costa-del-sol

Article headline says enough. Video of some Slide Survivors on the page too!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

spankmeister posted:

A mindset that is pervasive to this day.

Never mind that doing so financially ruined Britain, which had already been in a shaky state from "winning" the first world war.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Probably a hefty dose of "we beat the nazis

British Leyland was a Soviet company?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

They aren't the US either, but it doesn't stop British people from claiming they did it on their own.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/O7Ieat5.gifv

(Based on the comments, he was not injured, except probably his pride)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Japanese industry's great innovation was realizing that if it is at all physically possible for your workers to fit the parts together wrong, ya done hosed up.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
is the OSHA that, if he had tried it from the other side, maybe the tool would've gone flying and not him?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

is the OSHA that, if he had tried it from the other side, maybe the tool would've gone flying and not him?

The OSHA is that he shouldn't have tried to remove that cover when the water had already been turned on.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Bad Munki posted:

https://i.imgur.com/O7Ieat5.gifv

(Based on the comments, he was not injured, except probably his pride)

Weird. I mean, before he removed the hose connection cap, it was abundantly clear that the whole hydrant was under pressure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He was apparently trying to close it, but it was already cross threaded, so instead of closing, it popped clean off. The OSHA here, I would say, is loving with it at all under pressure.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

He was apparently trying to close it, but it was already cross threaded, so instead of closing, it popped clean off. The OSHA here, I would say, is loving with it at all under pressure.

Lock out tag out strikes again.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cojawfee posted:

This is also explains a lot of US post-war home repair. You see a lot of poo poo in old houses.

So the moral of that Leland film is "Yeah, we have some good blokes but we can't be bothered to figure out our processes in a rational way so do as best you can and hope your fuckups don't kill two customers and a baby."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cojawfee posted:

You also had the wartime mentality of 'mend and make do, or do without'. Basically 'ehhh, it's not irreversibly hosed, it's still good guv' writ large on the entire country. It worked great when your factory output was getting shot out of the sky within the month, and your vehicles tended to attract machine gun fire within a year. Not much of a warranty period to consider there.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saw some nice OSHA thread Saturday morning: beat-to-hell first gen. Scion Xb on fat little spoked chrome wheels minus the rear passenger wheel, which was a donut spare. Behind this is attached a four foot long flatbed trailer. The kind of contaption that doesn't even have lights, just reflectors, and no brakes. Crudely lashed in a heap on said trailer is a refrigerator, riding lawn mower, filing cabinet, and a few hundred pounds of scrap metal. Dude weaves through traffic down one of the shittiest roads in Tampa dragging the safety chains and scraping the towbar on every bump before merging onto the interstate going up-hill. My desire to get home overrode morbid curiosity this once, it seemed like a bad idea to be behind that death trap.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sounds like an ironic Thather-ite statement /s.

Another poster brought up a Finnish thing. I'd believe you over any other when it comes to these things. Is this true?

Sormus posted:

In Finland the classiest places are easily identified by their blue lighting in the toilets. Harder to do drugs if you cant find your veins, they claim. 

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's the crazy thing, normally this kind of film leads into "and here are the QA procedures we follow to make sure these errors don't happen/are caught". This one just ends with "sometimes we gently caress up, oh well". Real goddamn mystery why they went out of business.

I’m honestly curious if they hired someone to write a normal safety ad script and then some C-levels just ripped off the last 6 pages before okaying it

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

https://twitter.com/SrCaronte/status/1126883921726181377

Not as lethal as that goon zipline, but I guess you gotta let some kids live

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ha, if only, then their poo poo would have at least worked.

During the Cold War Lada had dealerships in New Zealand of all places (the Soviet Union traded cars for NZ meat and butter). Their reliability made them especially popular on remote islands.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

IPCRESS posted:

But you see his extensive experience with live action role playing makes him the best possible person to draw conclusions of this sort, furthermore...

a year or two ago I spent some time while I was home building medieval crossbows to sell at renaissance faires and holy poo poo i learned first hand how larpers are really loving insufferable people about historical poo poo

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh btw osha thread ive spent the last 4 years going to an art school with a fairly good sculpture department which means ive spent a lot of time with other students in wood and metal shops and have some pretty fucken osha stories if you folks are interested

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kanine posted:

oh btw osha thread ive spent the last 4 years going to an art school with a fairly good sculpture department which means ive spent a lot of time with other students in wood and metal shops and have some pretty fucken osha stories if you folks are interested

:justpost: (But maybe with a bit more capitalization and punctuation.)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grundulum posted:

:justpost: (But maybe with a bit more capitalization and punctuation.)

Touch-typing is hard without all 10 fingers.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Grundulum posted:

But maybe with a bit more capitalization and punctuation

don't listen to this nerd this is gibbus

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TheMaskedUgly posted:

don't listen to this nerd this is gibbus

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Recently I bought a cheap thread wear gauge, a very simple device similar to traditional tire pressure gauges. I was surprised when it was "Made in England" instead of China. But then I started thinking that nowadays China doesn't need to waste their resources for something that simple, they can use their time for things much more ambitious. Maybe that gauge is something a small english factory is still able to manufacture.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Saukkis posted:

Recently I bought a cheap thread wear gauge, a very simple device similar to traditional tire pressure gauges. I was surprised when it was "Made in England" instead of China. But then I started thinking that nowadays China doesn't need to waste their resources for something that simple, they can use their time for things much more ambitious. Maybe that gauge is something a small english factory is still able to manufacture.

China has zero problems making cogs my dude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

Japanese industry's great innovation was realizing that if it is at all physically possible for your workers to fit the parts together wrong, ya done hosed up.

There's a famous moment from WW2 when Packard was licensed to produce Merlin engines.

quote:

There are many obvious challenges posed by producing a British-designed engine in America. Just the task of converting all of the measurements from imperial to US Standard units was daunting enough. This job was made even more difficult by the unprecedented complexity of the Merlin. The 1,649 cubic inch V-12 engine is comprised of more than 14,000 individual parts (knoll that!). It was, and still is, often called “a watchmaker’s nightmare.

Engineers at Packard soon discovered that Rolls-Royce did not design the Merlin for mass-production. The manufacturing tolerances were much looser than Packard’s standards. This was because Rolls-Royce had never implemented mass-production techniques to their assembly lines. Rather, they employed highly-trained “fitters” to assemble the engines. The fitters filed or otherwise massaged individual parts to achieve a precise fit. They even tightened critical bolts by trained feel, rather than with calibrated torque wrenches. In effect, each Rolls-Royce-manufactured Merlin was a hand-built engine that reflected the company’s traditions of premium quality and craftsmanship.

While Rolls-Royce’s manufacturing techniques churned out very high quality engines, they simply didn’t jibe with Packard’s way of doing things (or Ford in Manchester for that matter). In his book “Not Much of An Engineer”, Rolls-Royce engineer Sir Stanley Hooker recalls his introduction to the matter with Ford:

“One day their Chief Engineer appeared in Lovesey’s office, which I was then sharing, and said, ‘You know, we can’t make the Merlin to these drawings.’

I replied loftily, ‘I suppose that is because the drawing tolerances are too difficult for you, and you can’t achieve the accuracy.’

‘On the contrary’ he replied, ‘the tolerances are far too wide for us. We make motor cars far more accurately than this. Every part on our car engines has to be interchangeable with the same part on any other engine, and hence all parts have to be made with extreme accuracy, far closer than you use. That is the only way we can achieve mass-production.’”

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 13, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
drat, that is a toasty burn.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a famous moment from WW2 when Packard was licensed to produce Merlin engines.

14,000 individual parts

That's a lotta loving parts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lou Takki posted:

That's a lotta loving parts.

It's a lotta loving engine.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You also had the wartime mentality of 'mend and make do, or do without'.

use it up
wear it out
make mend
or do without

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GotLag posted:

During the Cold War Lada had dealerships in New Zealand of all places (the Soviet Union traded cars for NZ meat and butter). Their reliability made them especially popular on remote islands.

oh also there's someone in AI from NZ with a Lada Riva rebuild thread. :getin:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

use it up
wear it out
make mend
or do without

technologic
technologic

ChickenOfTomorrow