Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Flannelette posted:

Other quirks with fresh supply: The tnt will use the ground explosion even if it hits a wall or enemy, some of the voice lines are really quiet (first line from episode 2 for example).

It's already fixed in the public beta branch on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

I remember reading an article not too long ago about how a studio got the name to some IP (fairly sure it was Descent) but didn't get all the rights due to some fuzzy legal thing, had no chance of releasing legally with what they had, but went ahead, fully developed the game, and tried to release before getting very properly sued. Apparently the mental process was something of the order of "I hope this woooorks!", with the judge calling them on it and totally slapping them down. I'm fairly drat sure this is Descent I'm talking about here! But nothing on the wikipedia page suggests as such, and ideas?
People have mentioned Stardock, but there's also a thing with Descent, where Interplay have the trademark and the publishing rights, but the rights to the actual game are held by Parallax, the original development studio (which still exists as a legal entity for royalties purposes despite effectively splitting into two studios - including Volition - long ago). There was a bit of drama a while back where Parallax took away Interplay's publishing rights until they coughed up their cut of something like seven years of unpaid Steam/GOG royalties, but it seems like that all got sorted out eventually.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

david_a posted:

Brad Wardell still blows my mind; the first I heard of Stardock was from being heavily into PC software modding back in the late 90s/early 00s (anybody else use an alternate desktop shell back in the Win 9x days?). I only found out much later that they made games. The more I find out about the guy the worse he seems.

Google "Brad Wardell bees" and have a laugh and a cry.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Going through these old shooters 1997-98 must have been a quantum leap in visual quality. It's hard to believe Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were only two years apart, let alone running on the same JEDI engine.

Like the other guy said, it was a bit of a mixed bag since since all the new graphical poo poo required you to upgrade constantly to see any of it. I'm glad things move slower now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m from the days when my PC had to rebooted with a custom config.sys and autoexec.bat files to ensure my computer booted with enough ram to play a game.

New graphics were great and the leaps and bounds were many and often, but as the above poster said, every new game I had to look at the system requirements and hope I could play it.

Parity with consoles may have helped stunt pc graphic growth, but it also allows us to play most if not all of the games that come out for a span of years before needing an upgrade.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I think its also CPUs went into more and more cores while the clock speed didn't keep advancing as much because it got harder and harder to make faster ones?
So games became more suited for multi-thread and less for higher clock speeds right after crysis.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I really appreciate that the Steam version of Blood has no DRM, that was nice :)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Blood is hard! And good! Does it still have that bug that switches diffs on a reload?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

I really appreciate that the Steam version of Blood has no DRM, that was nice :)

Why would they put DRM on an old game like Blood...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Why would they put DRM on an old game like Blood...

Most Steam games, regardless of age, require the client to be running and logged in before they launch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vikar Jerome posted:

Blood is hard! And good! Does it still have that bug that switches diffs on a reload?

If you mean Fresh Supply, then no. It's a quirk of how the save loading code was written in the original exe; however the Kex engine version is a full rewrite (a clone rather than a source port, they didn't get to work on Blood's source code for legal reasons) and while there was some reverse-engineering done to get parts of the game working as close as possible to exactly how the original did, they had a limited time budget to spend on doing that; and very little incentive to spend it on emulating glitches nobody likes.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I went to check something on the Blood wiki and I love how wikis for smaller fandoms can lead to ranting being presented as fact. The article on there for Fresh Supply has a reception section typed up by some disgruntled grognard that cites a forum with a total of 32 members as showing the view of the remaster is generally negative and any positive reaction to it being from the casuals :laffo:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's...it's just the same DN3D pic it always is but with "MEGATON EDITION" on a layer above it with an assload of glow

It doesn't even match the rest of the picture!

Megaton Edition still kind of set the gold standard overall as far as modern ports of old FPS games goes. It's a shame that Randy "L'il Bitch" Pitchford had to get it removed from Steam to hawk his crappy overpriced port.

Me and a few Steam buddies were able to get it long before then, but nobody else can anymore and that sucks :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pitchford is like the anti-King Midas. Anything he touches turns to poo poo. His recent manchild tantrums are Twitter are probably the most entertaining thing he’s ever made

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flannelette posted:

I think its also CPUs went into more and more cores while the clock speed didn't keep advancing as much because it got harder and harder to make faster ones?
So games became more suited for multi-thread and less for higher clock speeds right after crysis.

Yeah, in the mid-2000s two things happened:

-Intel stopped trying to increase the clock rate of the NetBurst architecture (used in Pentiums since the 90s) and switched to a new one focused more on efficiency.

-Two major consoles shipped whose CPUs were built around a large number of cheap cores.

As a result multithreading became the only way high-end games could maintain performance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I went to check something on the Blood wiki and I love how wikis for smaller fandoms can lead to ranting being presented as fact. The article on there for Fresh Supply has a reception section typed up by some disgruntled grognard that cites a forum with a total of 32 members as showing the view of the remaster is generally negative and any positive reaction to it being from the casuals :laffo:

God drat, that's some funny poo poo.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Flannelette posted:

this stung crysis quite badly too, it came out just before the multi-thread explosion so it was never made to scale well. even my 6700k struggles to keep 60fps in some areas because of it. i think it was when the 9900k came out that a cpu could finally run it without dropping frames. heh.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We've kinda hit the brick wall of physics as far as continuing to increase clock rate is concerned. There are several walls in fact, all interrelated. The electric current needs to be able to finish going where you want it to go during one cycle, and yes that's a limiting factor now. You can push a bit further by continuing to miniaturize your circuits so distance is smaller, but that exposes you to quantum phenomena, and when you want your 1s and your 0s to be unambiguously 1s and 0s respectively, that's not optimal. There's also the issue that power consumption (and therefore, waste heat production) rises exponentially with greater frequencies. So if you don't want to make a processor that is randomly wrong at maths and then bursts into flames, you've got to find a different road for increasing performances.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The number being bandied around at the time that gigahertz processors first appeared was that at that speed, during one cycle light travels about nine inches.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Has anyone managed to get Bloody Pulp Fiction working with Fresh Supply yet? I've tried about 3 different versions from ModDB and none of them seem to actually load anything :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve always wondered if it wouldn’t be beneficial to switch from metal plated CPU architecture and move to glass/fiber.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have this superstitious belief of sorts that any Doom mod over 100mb is probably going to be pretty bloated. It's very presumptive, but it seems to be correct more often than not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbNRVc1gRc

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Boy, Blood really isn't fun to play at all, especially whenever Tommygun cultists exist. :( I played quicksave peekaboo in Shogo and that at least had giant robots!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

I have this superstitious belief of sorts that any Doom mod over 100mb is probably going to be pretty bloated. It's very presumptive, but it seems to be correct more often than not.

That looks kinda neat and probably doesn’t deserve a pile of bitchy captions even if the execution isn’t great

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 12, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Boy, Blood really isn't fun to play at all, especially whenever Tommygun cultists exist. :( I played quicksave peekaboo in Shogo and that at least had giant robots!

MARANAX MALAX

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah. I feel blood is very much a Time and place game. If you played and loved in the 90’s you’ll still love it now, but playing it in 2019 without that nostalgia and map knowledge is like trying to pull teeth.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Fallom posted:

That looks kinda neat and probably doesn’t deserve a pile of bitchy captions even if the execution isn’t great

I've got to agree; this is pretty impressive to pull off on what was clearly a One man passion project. It clearly misses the mark on execution, but I can not fault its ambition.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Eh, I'm just playing it for the first time ever and it's fine! The difficulty is really high compared to other games of its period, so don't be afraid to just put it on the second or third difficulty setting to have a challenge comparable to UV in Doom. Just ran through the first episode, pretty neat game but it doesn't grab me like Duke or Doom did.

e: this is re: blood

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Blood's first ep is definitely not as fun as the others although I like it's maps a lot. The second episode already starts you off with a shotgun, dynamite, and a tommygun. It's still hard, but you can actually play it a bit more gunshooty.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think a certain amount of poverty/reluctance to buy was part of the shareware experience. Games were expensive ($40 in nineties bux for non-AAA titles) and as a result Blood’s demo got a lot of play on my machine. This would make you fairly tolerant of difficulty and more likely to fully explore a level and memorize it and whatnot. All the same, I save/loaded a whole bunch in those days, today I think I’ll just dial down the difficulty or cheat up some extra ammo.

Now I think the norm is to play a game or level set only one time through, there is a hell of a lot of content out there and difficulty is much better balanced in games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm having fun with Blood but I'm save scumming constantly and I even reload if I feel that I could have done something cooler to clear out a room. It would be fun if it could record a demo of my playthrough that gets saved in the save file so at the end I'd have an automatic TAS run with whatever cool tricks I reloaded a million times to pull off.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Kins posted:

Is there actually any kind of demand for Doom 3 level design and bland grey demons to be recreated as an original Doom mod? I kind of figured Doom 3 is mostly looked at as a bad misstep for the series no something people are clamoring for more of

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there actually any kind of demand for Doom 3 level design and bland grey demons to be recreated as an original Doom mod? I kind of figured Doom 3 is mostly looked at as a bad misstep for the series no something people are clamoring for more of
There's people for whom sonic 06 and final fantasy 8 are their favorite games in those franchises; never underestimate the power of My First Game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the pile of bullshit monsters spawning behind you while you're already fighting seems like its very true to doom 3. the map design doesnt look like its the greatest, but the project looks pretty impressive.

also im struggling in blood on Well Done and thinking of taking the cowards way out and dropping the difficulty.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the pile of bullshit monsters spawning behind you while you're already fighting seems like its very true to doom 3. the map design doesnt look like its the greatest, but the project looks pretty impressive.

also im struggling in blood on Well Done and thinking of taking the cowards way out and dropping the difficulty.
I'm playing on Lightly Broiled, which seems more balanced to me. Well Done seemed to have a much higher enemy density without more ammo to compensate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Blood is very very cool, but I'd love to see a mod that took out all the hitscan and replaced with projectiles or something. One thing I definitely don't miss from the 90s is the quick save shuffle and there's plenty of times in Blood where you aren't gonna clear a room until you get insta killed by the hitscan barrage a few times and figure it out.

I think this is an area where console influence was very positive. There were too many 90s PC games that were balanced around quick save abuse and having to account for console versions pushed devs to consider different ways of doing things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I also dislike games that at the end of the day, are designed are quicksave scumming and prior knowledge gained with that. But you know, you can just select the another difficulty option, there are several, on the second one is easy enough that such scummy way of playing isn't needed even if you are new to the game.

One funny thing about the design of the hit scanners, they are so bad that found the second episode easier than the first one just because as new enemies appeared, the % of them that are hitscanners cultists was lower.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 12, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and then the later episodes take a nosedive because they introduce even worse enemies and then start throwing clones of the earlier bosses at you repeatedly

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Namagem posted:

I've got to agree; this is pretty impressive to pull off on what was clearly a One man passion project. It clearly misses the mark on execution, but I can not fault its ambition.

DooMero makes some really wild stuff, mostly porting games like Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, and Donkey Kong Country into GZDoom/zandronum. A lot of it is pretty impressive and cool but some of it--this especially--is unrelentingly bad. Revenge of Evil is almost like avant-garde art and anti-humor translated into games. This mod is such a pinnacle of ineptitude that it's actually kind of endearing, like The Room of Doom wads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just like Shogo, the hitscanners would be totally fine if they had a reasonable reaction time instead of instantly opening fire on you with perfect accuracy as soon as you enter their line of sight. Keep the instant reactions for the hardest difficulty level.