Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Zotix posted:

So if a spear user stands at me, and I stay right as they stab, that's a chamber right? How do you follow that up and hit them before they can recover? Do you just use another attack during the clashing of weapons?

I suck at chambering, but I'm working on it. Here are two videos that have helped me. I still can't DO it reliably to any attack other than stabs, and even then, the vast majority of the time I miss my follow up, but I'm getting better.

This one is a good explanation of how to chamber and how to follow up (he even has trouble with the followups, but still a good video). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh21lwU96mA

This one explains how to set up a practice mode against a bot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTr1EBMCJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One thing I noticed is that the first person animation for the halberd stabs include the chamber movement. Before stabbing, you shove the haft hard in one direction and then stab, which helped me with my timing. Chambering is such a neat mechanic because it's basically how all parries work in Olympic fencing and having it be recognized is pretty cool.

It's a bit confusing that both chambering and the "active weapons clash" thing uses the same sparks and clashing sound iirc.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Okay picked this game up and having a great time with it, it's way funnier than I expected

I am Bad but I've been playing Frontlines where it's 32v32 so I'm pretty sure there's no way to be "good" at this game in that circumstance unless you absolutely know what you're doing

Screaming Sledgehammer Peasant does not know what he is doing

He only knows that skulls need to be crushed for 'is lohd

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

join the discord, vulgar will teach you how to be good at frontlines, I'll teach you how to duel bby

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Songbearer posted:

Okay picked this game up and having a great time with it, it's way funnier than I expected

I am Bad but I've been playing Frontlines where it's 32v32 so I'm pretty sure there's no way to be "good" at this game in that circumstance unless you absolutely know what you're doing

Screaming Sledgehammer Peasant does not know what he is doing

He only knows that skulls need to be crushed for 'is lohd

Go to duel servers to git gud quick. 1vs1 teaches you much faster than 32vs32. Proper etiquette requires you to look at your potential opponent, flourish (press x then 1) and wait for his flourish or other gesture then engage. Don't jump on people already busy fighting on a duel server or you'll get clowned upon by everyone then kicked

Also join the discord and learn how to join the goon server (called "ye olde goone camp", more details in the relevant PGS thread, linked in the OP), we had a ton of fun earlier on, everybody was cool and many heads were crushed in honorable duels or crazy fistfights. I discovered that the pickaxe you can find on some maps is a surprisingly decent weapon, too

Edit: even though the goon server is US east coast, don't let that stop any Euros from joining, there were 2 of us filthy oldworlders with 140 ping but we managed just fine

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 12, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just had a match with 45 kills hell yes :cool:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The halberd is absolutely disgusting in Frontlines, especially the alt grip where you're striking with the pointy end. Stabs for fishing kills out of huge brawls, then strikes to smash in the skull of that archer you caught napping, or to gently caress over that one rear end in a top hat tooling around on a horse.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I just realised you can change what you're building with the toolbox and now a whole new world is open. I'm having ridiculous fun just locking down routes with spikes and hacking people down with a falchion :D

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I routinely get top kill count on my teams and I do it with an executioner’s sword, the perks bloodlust and friendly (I hit teammates a lot though usually swinging through the people they are fighting), and some light armor 1/2/1 I think, so I move quick.

I don’t focus on 1v1 but I do pretty good when I do, decent at feinting. I focus on map pressure and making sure I circle around the groups, making people focused on others think I’m not trying to go around them so they keep focused on the line, then swing/turn/focus and whack. I run like a baby to trick them sometimes. My gameplay is more about knowing where most close enemies are, footwork, playing the edges of the lines that form, and area denial with wide swings than anything.

It’s really fun playing that way, and takes a lot of skill.

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

I've been playing with the toolbox and falchion too, it's a lot of fun until some potato steals your mounted crossbow while you're hacking away any would-be flankers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

or they take it while you run back to the ammo box to get materials for defenses around it

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
What's ratio of normal players to "DEUS VULT" nazis in this game like?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Julius CSAR posted:

This type of game does attract a lot of those, but in general the in game chat is pretty tame.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Julius CSAR posted:

The majority will be either pepes, some form of almost-nazi flag, or outright racism in the name; while most of the rest will randomnly spew racism or bigotry over all chat when they die. Reporting them to steam sometimes works.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
The player base isn’t too bad, other games are far far worse.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I see a lot of colorful swearing and gamer lingo in the chat, including bigoted slurs, but not much of in the way of a coherent right-wing ideology. One exception is the guy called MUSLIMCRUSHER who was in my match a couple of days ago.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't seen much of it on the Oceania servers, though that's not to say there's not an abundance of your typical casually foul-mouthed bogans. They're just a lot less aggressive about it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Runaktla posted:

The player base isn’t too bad, other games are far far worse.

Chivalry seemed chiller than this, but I think it's just because it's a new game and the usual low-attention-span trolls haven't yet moved on to a different title.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had a guy with waffle in his name use the popular n word misspelling and was able to get everyone to roast him into quitting.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Julius CSAR posted:

I play on Europe servers and I haven't seen anything of the like honestly. I was super worried that the game would be full of them but the community's pretty chill most of the time, other than the occasional salt merchant.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I turned off the chat box and the Killed By screen and it's great.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

or they take it while you run back to the ammo box to get materials for defenses around it

Without fail some ding dong will take that turret and get upset when I kick them off. As if I'm able to accomplish anything else while your 3/3/3 rear end is sitting on my turret.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
I didn't spent minutes building a fortified medieval ballista pillbox position just for some pansy rear end knight to commandeer it :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One thing I've noticed with the longer weapons is that you can get a ton of work done if you're mobbed by parrying and then riposting at a completely different target. I've never walked away from a 1v4 yet, but I have taken 3 down with me by doing that, without bloodlust to boot. The tunnel vision people get when they see they outnumber someone is insane.

E: playing engineer on taiga and fortifying the ballista emplacement is very satisfying, as is blue Grad and the house. Having team chat start talking about how I was "playing sim city skylines" and "winning us the game" felt better than it should have. It's actually kind of nuts how powerful a single engineer can be on some maps.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 13, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, on my peasant build I got a random riposte off with the scythe, beheaded one guy, killed a passing horse then hacked the rider to death while he was ragdolled. :black101:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

One thing I've noticed with the longer weapons is that you can get a ton of work done if you're mobbed by parrying and then riposting at a completely different target. I've never walked away from a 1v4 yet, but I have taken 3 down with me by doing that, without bloodlust to boot. The tunnel vision people get when they see they outnumber someone is insane.

E: playing engineer on taiga and fortifying the ballista emplacement is very satisfying, as is blue Grad and the house. Having team chat start talking about how I was "playing sim city skylines" and "winning us the game" felt better than it should have. It's actually kind of nuts how powerful a single engineer can be on some maps.
Enemies opening the house door and running into the spikes never gets old.

I mean, people still somehow kill themselves on spikes sitting flagrantly out in the open. But the door to impalement combo just adds that extra dose of cartoon slapstick :allears:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Today I learned that if you ever gently caress up and run your horse into a wall while wielding something like a greatsword or battleaxe, just swing that poo poo because every nearby enemy is going to charge directly at you for a free kill and you'll swipe like 2-3 dude's heads off and then you can go about your merry way.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Ravenfood posted:

You can't be flinched during a riposte, so when you're getting dog piled and you riposte and start a big swing, that swing is going to continue through until it gets blocked, when you switch to another target, you're essentially dragging (or accelling, depending on which direction you turn), and it fucks most people up, they miss their parries, and someone, or multiple someones end up losing their heads.

What's crazy to me is that not only do people get tunnel vision in those situations, but they also all start attacking at the same tempo (as fast as they loving can). All it takes is one guy to skip a beat and then swing or poke, and the guy getting dog piled is dead, and yet very few people do it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I for real wish horses didn't exist in this game. They're like jets in Battlefield in the sense they don't really cap points or interact with the rest of the game in any way, except occassionally killing you while you're busy doing something else, like having fun.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I for real wish horses didn't exist in this game. They're like jets in Battlefield in the sense they don't really cap points or interact with the rest of the game in any way, except occassionally killing you while you're busy doing something else, like having fun.

I've mostly stuck around in duel servers but I can see that. I noticed in M&B warband the mounted players either focused on lancing eachother, or attacking people from behind and running away. I got really good at stabbing cavalry in the face in warband, which would often instakill them from the momentum. Wonder how well it works here?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The stabbing is easy with any reasonably long polearm and some practice, but the killing/dismounting is difficult and inconsistent unless you're using the bill hook specifically.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://gfycat.com/disgustinginfatuatedgopher

I'm figuring this whole thing out. This game is about teamwork.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like they way that regenerating health works in that it does not kick in if you are attacking or running, and even then you need to wait a moment. It really encourages you to know when to fall back.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Nothing like nailing the horse guy with a throwing spear as he's charging at you for the easy kill muhahahaha my horse now :unsmigghh:

I really like throwing my weapons at people, the other night I threw my sword into some guys face, pulled it out again and then chopped of his head.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like that you can pull spears out of your own body and throw them back.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

soy posted:

Gaston probably would be an archer jerk irl

I use the skulls of chuds in all of my deeeeecoooraaating

Also I never really got the point of gettin' mad about nerds using your ballista as an engineer. I let 'em, I've generally got more important poo poo to be hammering. sometimes I'll even set the ballista to build and gently caress off for more supplies knowing that some rando will grab it and flick sticks at the enemy. If someone kicks me off it though I generally kill that bitch.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 13, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've been playing this game for less than 24 hours and I'm already tired of people complaining about not getting 1v1s on Frontlines.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Do what I did; turn off the chat box and never turn it back on

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Telltolin posted:

I've mostly stuck around in duel servers but I can see that. I noticed in M&B warband the mounted players either focused on lancing eachother, or attacking people from behind and running away. I got really good at stabbing cavalry in the face in warband, which would often instakill them from the momentum. Wonder how well it works here?

Not nearly as well, unfortunately. The momentum damage bonus exists exists but it only works in the mounted dude's favor, so the footman always risks being one-shotted and might be simply unable to kill the horseman even if he's wielding something like a spear or halberd. M&B also had the nice thing where a polearm's stab would always halt a horse, which is not the case here. Billhooks can dismount riders but that can be easier said than done if the rider is using a weapon with longer reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

1stGear posted:

I've been playing this game for less than 24 hours and I'm already tired of people complaining about not getting 1v1s on Frontlines.

I have a guy with three lots of throwing knives whose whole job is to vulturize kills for mad cash... the salt is exquisite I assure you.