Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Pink onions. Anyone tried them? They look like a white/Spanish onion and I've never come across them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

If they’re what I’m thinking of they should be sweeter and slightly more intense than a brown onion, good for eating raw in salads etc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zenithe posted:

Pink onions. Anyone tried them? They look like a white/Spanish onion and I've never come across them before.
If they're Roscoffs or some other related heirloom cultivar they're good, sorta like a cross between a sweet onion and a shallot. They're more pungent than yellow onions, but the flavour is more mellow and earthy and less bright, if that makes sense. Good raw. They keep really well when properly hardened, so they're a pretty good choice if you want to try planting and propagating them.

On the other hand if you're talking about something like a Bangalore rose onion, those are just straight up more pungent, with a very assertive, very bright flavour. I wouldn't slice one of these to put on a salad, and they're most commonly used in e.g. quick pickles to be used as a relish.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any favorite lentil recipes?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

I've done this one several times and am a fan:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-and-lentil-soup/

That said, what kind of lentils do you have? The regular old green/brown ones, black lentils, or red lentils? All of them cook up different, and I'd use different recipes for each type.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

DasNeonLicht posted:

I really like carrabbas' sausage lentil soup, which I approximate here. you cant really gently caress it up, so riff on it however.

brown some fennely sweet italian sausage
sweat mirepoix + chili flakes/herbs or whatever you like
add plenty of chicken stock
add lentils and cook them finish
salt to taste

and ina garten's dijon lentil salad is really good IMO
https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/warm-french-lentils

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Weltlich posted:

I've done this one several times and am a fan:

That said, what kind of lentils do you have? The regular old green/brown ones, black lentils, or red lentils? All of them cook up different, and I'd use different recipes for each type.

Brown and red lentils are easy for me to find, so those. I like black lentils, but I've never seen them on a supermarket shelf around where I live, so I'm going more for cost and convenience

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
and here are some lentil recipes from an archived beans thread

dal
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/red_lentil_dal/

dino's pongal
https://altveg.blogspot.com/2013/01/pongal-lazy-way.html?q=pongal

symmetry's (e: or dino's, i guess!) dal
http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

fart store fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 11, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cookbook recommendation: Mark Bittman’s “How To Cook Everything Fast.” My girlfriend, who has relatively limited cooking experience, has been going pretty wild with it. Most of the recipes are simple, they offer instructions on speeding things up like slicing meat while sweating onions, etc. great beginner’s cookbook, it also includes simple variations and recommended side dishes. I’ve really enjoyed everything she’s made so far, plus it includes recipes from lots of different cuisines, big plus for me as she’s been making some things I never would have considered, like an excellent caramel stir fried beef and green beans dish tonight.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Mark Bittman is really good. If you don’t have access to the cookbook, he wrote “The Minimalist” column for the NYT, which can be found pretty freely with google. It’s a great little trove of simple, quick recipes, if the book’s anything like his column then it’s definitely worth a look.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
This Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup is really good
https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=16681758

as is this Lentil and Escarole Soup
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/lentil-escarole-soup-cooks-illustrated-407680

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Mark Bittman is a raging piece of poo poo & highly problematic, actually. Don’t buy his books unless you like giving your money to bad men.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Mark Bittman is a raging piece of poo poo & highly problematic, actually. Don’t buy his books unless you like giving your money to bad men.

In what way is he problematic?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is he? I’ve only ever checked out his recipes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

captkirk posted:

In what way is he problematic?

I'd like to hear more about this too.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

fart store posted:

sausage lentil soup and dijon lentil salad

Human Tornada posted:

Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup

Thank you, goons. Particularly excited by the Moroccan dish, think that's first to try in the list.

Looks like black lentils aren't that expensive at Whole Foods, so maybe I'll buy some for dal makhani in the future

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How long will whipped egg whites stay stiff at room temp?

I'm making a vanilla souffle based on this recipe. In a nutshell, it starts with a creme anglise type custard cooked with flour. Whipped egg whites are folded in, then the whole thing is baked.

I want to prep as much as possible before dinner. I don't want to cook the souffles, sit down to dinner with my friends, then serve sunken, droopy souffles for dessert an hour later. Nor do I want to disappear for an hour to cook the souffles when dinner ends.

I can prepare the custard hours ahead of time. That's good. I would like to whip the egg whites, fold them in, and fill each ramekin ahead of time. Then, before supper ends, I just pop the ramekins in the oven for 30 minutes. I can come back to the table while the souffles are cooking.

But...will the egg whites lose their stiffness if they're not cooked right away?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Need to incorporate ramps into a vegetarian dinner tonight, but want to let them shine / show off. Should I just kinda grill them? Lemon juice? Any other ideas or preparation tips?

If it helps, the other produce I have hanging around are fennel root, jalapeńo, kale, tomato, lemon, sweet potato, onion, garlic.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Idk what else you're serving but fresh ramp kimchi is fantastic

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have an air fryer? Is it just another gimmick or does it make good food?

I love making wings, but never deep fry them. I either grill them in the summer time or if I do them in the oven I use the serious eats recipe involving baking soda and salt, refrigerated for 12 hours prior to baking. They get fairly crisp, but not liked a fried wing. I’m wondering how well the air fryer emulates actual frying or how crisp wings get.

Besides wings I would probably make fries if I could-no idea how those would turn out. Reviews say they turn out good, but I’m not sure if people are making them from scratch or just buying them frozen and using the air fryer to cook them.

It also says you can cook burger and fish, etc in them, but I’m not sure why I would do that.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 12, 2019

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

nwin posted:

The gimmickiness depends on the kind you get. An air fryer is just a convection oven with a different form factor, so the gimmick factor is how much extra crap they put in. If it's just a box you put things in to make them hot, it's probably fine. Personally I hate the kind that have like automatic stirring devices and whatever, they're just an extra PITA to clean up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bagheera posted:

How long will whipped egg whites stay stiff at room temp?

I'm making a vanilla souffle based on this recipe. In a nutshell, it starts with a creme anglise type custard cooked with flour. Whipped egg whites are folded in, then the whole thing is baked.

I want to prep as much as possible before dinner. I don't want to cook the souffles, sit down to dinner with my friends, then serve sunken, droopy souffles for dessert an hour later. Nor do I want to disappear for an hour to cook the souffles when dinner ends.

I can prepare the custard hours ahead of time. That's good. I would like to whip the egg whites, fold them in, and fill each ramekin ahead of time. Then, before supper ends, I just pop the ramekins in the oven for 30 minutes. I can come back to the table while the souffles are cooking.

But...will the egg whites lose their stiffness if they're not cooked right away?
I can’t cite an exact source on this, but I know I’ve heard Jacques Pepin et al say once the soufflé is made/in the mold it will hold a while (half an hour? An hour?) before it is baked but it won’t hold after it is baked

E: Julia Child says once it is in the mold it can be kept in a warm, draft free place and it won’t begin to collapse for an hour. She suggests covering it with a big empty pot.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 12, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would strongly recommend doing the egg whites as you need them, immediately incorporating them and immediately cooking. I have tried several times to do parts of the process in advance, and every time it has failed.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

nwin posted:

I love making wings, but never deep fry them. I either grill them in the summer time or if I do them in the oven I use the serious eats recipe involving baking soda and salt, refrigerated for 12 hours prior to baking. They get fairly crisp, but not liked a fried wing. I’m wondering how well the air fryer emulates actual frying or how crisp wings get.

Besides wings I would probably make fries if I could-no idea how those would turn out. Reviews say they turn out good, but I’m not sure if people are making them from scratch or just buying them frozen and using the air fryer to cook them.

It also says you can cook burger and fish, etc in them, but I’m not sure why I would do that.

Wings turn out pretty well in an airfryer - better than a standard oven by far because they get browned and crispy all over instead of mostly on the bottom, and the lack of extra oil isn't really a problem since the wings themselves have plenty of their own. I've had an airfryer (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9230-20-Collection-Airfryer/dp/B00FA294ZA) for about the last 5 years and wouldn't be without it. The only issue I can see is that a standard size one would be a bit small if you want to make a big batch of wings - fine for 1-2 people, not great for more than that.

One thing I have heard is that there is a big difference between the cheaper ones and the phillips models; the cheaper ones are still decent, but the phillipses appear to be a step up.

edit: I've always found that mixtures with stiff beaten egg whites will form a puddle of egg at the bottom if they are left to sit for any length of time unfortunately.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So every Sunday I make waffles for breakfast and the recipe I use has egg whites folded into it. This morning for some reason the egg whites will not stiffen the gently caress up in my stand mixer. I cleaned the poo poo out of the bowl and whisk, and even added some cream of tartar, but this has been running for a good 7 minutes and it's only a little frothy. Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The slightest hint of any kind of fat can keep egg whites from stiffening up-you may have had some grease/oil spattered in the bowl of the mixer or on the blades or a speck of yolk got in the whites? Or a little soap leftover form washing the bowl out? Plastics and egg whites are pretty incompatible too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The slightest hint of any kind of fat can keep egg whites from stiffening up-you may have had some grease/oil spattered in the bowl of the mixer or on the blades or a speck of yolk got in the whites? Or a little soap leftover form washing the bowl out? Plastics and egg whites are pretty incompatible too.

Yea I cleaned the crap out of everything a couple time and couldn't get it, I cranked the last one up to full speed on the mixer and it finally stiffened up. Not sure what happened today.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey am I imagining things or did vanilla beans quintuple in price over the last year

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not within the last year, but yeah. Crop was destroyed by tropical cyclones. Enjoy the preview of climate change's effects
https://qz.com/africa/994303/the-world-is-running-out-of-vanilla-thanks-to-climate-change-and-crime/
https://www.worldwildlife.org/magazine/issues/spring-2019/articles/how-climate-change-could-impact-a-beloved-spice

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I've been working on this one for a few iterations now, and I want to turn it over to you to see if you can improve or offer feedback.

tl;dr I've been on a paleo-ish diet for a while now and there's some things that I really miss, like pizza. I've tried cauliflower crusts, and if I get the pre-fab ones then there's inevitably rice flour and other non-paleo compliant ingredients in it. If I make my own cauliflower crust at home, it's a constant battle against moisture to keep it from just being a soggy mess. I want my pizza crust to be solid enough that i can pick up the slice and take a bite, not have to fiddle around with fork and knife. Also, it's just a lot of work and time to make a cauliflower crust properly.

So, since I have laying hens, and a surplus of eggs, I started work on trying to make an egg-based crust. Here's what I've got so far:

Almost No Carb Pizza Crust

7 Egg whites
1 whole Egg
1/3rd cup coconut flour, plus a couple tablespoons more
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregeno (optional)
1 tsp dried basil (optional)

Preheat oven to 425
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the coconut flour, salt, and spices into the egg whites and one whole egg.
Whisk for 30 seconds and observe consistency. Should be like a very heavy batter. If it's still "runny" add a Tablespoon of coconut flour and whisk for another 10 or 15 seconds
Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper
Spread the batter over the parchment with a spatula until it's between 1/4 and 1/2" thick
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 425, until browned on top ever so slightly
Remove, add sauce and toppings, and return to oven for another 12 to 15 minutes to bake
Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut and eat.

So far, I'm relatively happy with the results. The crust is much more "crust" like than prior attempts, and it holds up to having lots of toppings on it without getting soggy or falling apart.

I've you've got the time and inclination, give it a shot and let me know what you think, how it might be improved, etc.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've got some truffle salt and truffle mustard from a gift set I'm not sure what to do with. Any bright ideas? I've been using the honey as part of a ravioli + hazelnut + brown butter dish, and the oil in a number of things including bread, pizza, and crustini. Right now I'm tempted to just put the mustard into my next batch of burger sauce, or throw it on a hotdog outright. Salt nothing jumps out at me as obvious and am paralyzed by "don't waste it".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Weltlich posted:

Hey guys, I've been working on this one for a few iterations now, and I want to turn it over to you to see if you can improve or offer feedback.

tl;dr I've been on a paleo-ish diet for a while now and there's some things that I really miss, like pizza. I've tried cauliflower crusts, and if I get the pre-fab ones then there's inevitably rice flour and other non-paleo compliant ingredients in it. If I make my own cauliflower crust at home, it's a constant battle against moisture to keep it from just being a soggy mess. I want my pizza crust to be solid enough that i can pick up the slice and take a bite, not have to fiddle around with fork and knife. Also, it's just a lot of work and time to make a cauliflower crust properly.

So, since I have laying hens, and a surplus of eggs, I started work on trying to make an egg-based crust. Here's what I've got so far:

Almost No Carb Pizza Crust

7 Egg whites
1 whole Egg
1/3rd cup coconut flour, plus a couple tablespoons more
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregeno (optional)
1 tsp dried basil (optional)

Preheat oven to 425
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the coconut flour, salt, and spices into the egg whites and one whole egg.
Whisk for 30 seconds and observe consistency. Should be like a very heavy batter. If it's still "runny" add a Tablespoon of coconut flour and whisk for another 10 or 15 seconds
Line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper
Spread the batter over the parchment with a spatula until it's between 1/4 and 1/2" thick
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 425, until browned on top ever so slightly
Remove, add sauce and toppings, and return to oven for another 12 to 15 minutes to bake
Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut and eat.

So far, I'm relatively happy with the results. The crust is much more "crust" like than prior attempts, and it holds up to having lots of toppings on it without getting soggy or falling apart.

I've you've got the time and inclination, give it a shot and let me know what you think, how it might be improved, etc.

i'm sorry your life has resulted in not being able to eat pizza but you may just want to look for a better tasting egg dish than an egg white pizza. maybe a good paleo pancake and dress that up. You may want to whip the whites first a bit since you have no baking *

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't know how much you want to have a traditional crust, but how about giving a mushroom pizza a try? Get a portabella cap, scrape out the gills, wipe down the outside and rub oil around it, salt and pepper. Throw it in an oven set to 400 for about 5 minutes, then take it out and top it, throw it back in for another 15 or however long your toppings need.

Be sure to put it on a rack so moisture from the mushroom doesn't soak in the cap.

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 13, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I've got some truffle salt and truffle mustard from a gift set I'm not sure what to do with. Any bright ideas? I've been using the honey as part of a ravioli + hazelnut + brown butter dish, and the oil in a number of things including bread, pizza, and crustini. Right now I'm tempted to just put the mustard into my next batch of burger sauce, or throw it on a hotdog outright. Salt nothing jumps out at me as obvious and am paralyzed by "don't waste it".

Truffle salt is a finishing salt. Use it to finish meats or baked goods or whatev

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Nephzinho posted:

Put the salt on popcorn and many potato variations (fries, oven fries, bakers, roasted chunks, sweet potato versions of these, etc). Basically anything you'd salt at the end anyway.

Use the mustard on a ham and brie sandwich. Anything ham, really.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

poverty goat posted:

What should I do with 10 pounds of leftover raw zucchini and yellow squash

Shred it and make zucchini bread.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey am I imagining things or did vanilla beans quintuple in price over the last year

Yeah, that poo poo happened. The Singing Dog vanilla I like to use is up to $22 a pint.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 13, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Going to source this or leave us all hanging?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Any good tips to store sliced onion in the fridge without getting it to smell like stinksville?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Tupperware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Going to source this or leave us all hanging?

Sorry, I don’t read the forums every day.

While not the ethnofacist that Alton Brown is, Bittman has a disappointing history with Black people (google Bittman at Stone Barn,) writes lovely anti-science articles re: GMOs & mossy recently tried to launch a platform called “Salty,” cribbing the logo and aesthetic from an existing platform/magazine written for and by women/non binary people of color.

Those are all easily googleable. There are also many stories told of him being a super creep to women on the conference/awards show circuit.