Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Chronojam posted:

I don't know, I think earlier during the newsroom scene there's one in the background that then starts sweeping the set afterwards. A guy in a snow hat and flannel. As if it's a low paid intern/extra just as much of production support.

Yeah, he's front and center in that scene. Every reveal is telegraphed and that's why they land so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

It really distracting how much Ryme City was clearly just London - right down to having the Gherkin in multiple shots. The Ryme City train station is five mins walk from my front door FFS.

Also it was a bit sad that the Detective Pikachu character effectively died in the finale and noone seemed to care that much.

dont cry its a gogeta/gotenks situation

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

dont cry its a gogeta/gotenks situation

What's that?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Woozy posted:

How did you get this so backwards? Tim gets a phone call telling him that his father is dead and he doesn't so much as twitch in response. He's not teetering on the edge of a breakdown at all; his complete lack of emotional affect is a running gag. He's withdrawn, detached, unmotivated and--take note Adult Fans of Pokemon--unable to feel anything at all without the triple dose of industrial grade sentiment that can only come from cheap, manipulative children's media. I believe the technical term is "dead inside".

Remember Pikachu weeping as he sings a sad version of the Pokemon theme song?. That's you, millennial theater goer, sobbing over YouTube compilations of American Idol auditions and that scene from Fresh Prince of Bel Air to get you back on the emotional register and able to deal with whatever you're not currently dealing with. Like you, Tim was raised on this. No wonder his circuits are fried.

Also he mumbles way too loving much to be in a movie but I think that's unrelated.

lol This post sucks rear end

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I saw the movie, I enjoyed the movie.

Some of the cinematography got a bit stale when around the human characters, the story tends to jump around a bit, and the hologram stuff is a bit of a handwave, but other than that it was exactly what it wanted to be: a fun movie about Pikachu being a detective.

Safe to say its the best video game movie out there, though that isn't a high bar. The movie is fun to watch, has lots of neat moments, and shows Ryan Reynolds at his best.

Now to wait for the extended cut and the R-Rated cut.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Now to wait for the extended cut and the R-Rated cut.

Mandatory repost

https://twitter.com/Dinolich/status/1100503075150811136

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

J.A.B.C. posted:

Safe to say its the best video game movie out there, though that isn't a high bar.

That bar is so low it may as well be in the Marianas trench if we're being honest, that list is dire.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Woozy posted:

Okay fair enough that was too much but I thought his completely backwards character arc was really gross. He goes from being a functional (miserable, fine) adult to moving back into racecar bed at his parents place, complete with weirdly a-sexual high school puppy love romance with the Reporter Type pokemon who also did nothing and learned nothing. I fully get that these movies are nominally for kids and meant to be silly fun, but this movie felt weirdly imbalanced in favor of giving the parents a reason to sit through it with them, and did a very bad job of it.

I think that's a gross misreading of the character/story. He goes from being a jaded character who dislikes pokemon and resents his dad into someone who not only is able to look at the wonder of the wacky pokemon world with fresh eyes, but is willing to try and reconnect with his father. The racecar bed (and the entirety of the room) is explicitly stated to be designed by Harry to mirror his actual childhood room, it's not a place he has ever lived in and presumably if he started staying in the city more often or moved there for good, he'd change the decor and ditch the Pikachu bed. I'm not gonna argue on the romance or lack thereof, but to say that Lucy "did nothing and learned nothing" is also disingenuous. She did her own investigation and found the lab without having to have Bill Nighy feed her fake clues like Tim and Pikachu, she broke into the place, and she finally got to be a real reporter at the end. Don't get me wrong, the movie underserves her and she definitely could have been a bigger character, but she definitely did stuff.

I don't think this movie is perfect, it has plenty of flaws that other people have pointed out in this thread, but a lot of your complaints seem like deliberate misreadings just to hate on it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 13, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That bar is so low it may as well be in the Marianas trench if we're being honest, that list is dire.

It’s weird it only includes Pokémon for animated movies. Games having animated movies that are fine isn’t super rare. It’s like action they go off the rails

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the hologram stuff because it let them get away with something particularly ballsy which was The lead scientist's clearly very unpleasant fate. You see her being thrown to the vault door with thousands of shards of glass following, and given the state the door was in, you can imagine that the scientist was left in quite a messy state, probably rivaling a Final Destination movie. The only reason they got away with that was the hologram cut off before the splat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the hologram stuff because it let them get away with something particularly ballsy which was The lead scientist's clearly very unpleasant fate. You see her being thrown to the vault door with thousands of shards of glass following, and given the state the door was in, you can imagine that the scientist was left in quite a messy state, probably rivaling a Final Destination movie. The only reason they got away with that was the hologram cut off before the splat.

I mean even if she didn't immediately die, Mewtwo almost definitely killed everyone there. Pretty sure he did that back in the first movie. Mewtwo gives zero fucks.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Those Ditto could do the eyes right and didn't need sunglasses.

the ditto eyes thing is only in the anime IIRC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

the ditto eyes thing is only in the anime IIRC

Nah, it's in the games too or at least some of them. In Pokemon Snap you have to find the Ditto with Ditto Eyes among a group of Bulbasaur to get the Ditto picture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Mewtwo bursting out of the containment thing and through the roof and flying after the car was super cool. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I assumed that was going to be some sort of fake out. When I saw her doing press tours and music for the movie's soundtrack I figured she'd do something other than get murdered in a flashback.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Whoever had the idea to combine the plots of the movie Batman (1989) and the failed TV pilot Poochinski is a genius. (Yes, I read just enough to realize this arguably happened to some extent in the original game source material, hence "whoever.")

And, seriously, the extent to which the movie tracks Poochinski borders on the delightful and the disturbing.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Maybe I missed a line of dialogue here or there but I did not understand the main villain's motivation at all. I totally understand why it's a benefit to him personally to take his consciousness (which is in an old, crippled body) and put it into the body of the single most powerful Pokemon in existence. That part makes sense. But why the gently caress does he then decide to go around and take random people off the street and put their brains into their Charmanders and whatnot? How does that help him or benefit him at all or serve any sort of greater cause? That part made no sense to me. I know he gave some vague exposition about "evolving sentient beings to their final most powerful forms!" but I don't see how that applies to his eventual plan. I was totally onboard with the movie before that but that part really lost me and made no sense. How in the gently caress does it benefit anyone or serve any sort of ideology to take other random people off the street and put their brains into Pokemon's brains?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

bbf2 posted:

Maybe I missed a line of dialogue here or there but I did not understand the main villain's motivation at all. I totally understand why it's a benefit to him personally to take his consciousness (which is in an old, crippled body) and put it into the body of the single most powerful Pokemon in existence. That part makes sense. But why the gently caress does he then decide to go around and take random people off the street and put their brains into their Charmanders and whatnot? How does that help him or benefit him at all or serve any sort of greater cause? That part made no sense to me. I know he gave some vague exposition about "evolving sentient beings to their final most powerful forms!" but I don't see how that applies to his eventual plan. I was totally onboard with the movie before that but that part really lost me and made no sense. How in the gently caress does it benefit anyone or serve any sort of ideology to take other random people off the street and put their brains into Pokemon's brains?

He's basically a weird straw-transhumanist who thinks humanity is being held back by not being able to grow and change the way Pokemon do, and decides the way to fix this is to force people to change. Imagine if Eliezer Yudkowsky was as rich as Elon Musk, basically.

My personal take is that this is a smokescreen to cover up the part where he A: gets a brand new not-disabled body and B: his new body is the most powerful thing in the world, probably, seeing as he's the CEO of a company and therefore inherently power-hungry and evil. Putting everybody else in Pokemon bodies just makes it harder for anyone to stop him from taking over the world since he's the most powerful Pokemon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bbf2 posted:

When he said his life work is about creating a perfect harmony between humans and pokemon he wasn't full of poo poo, that's what he actually believes

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I loved the film. I had the biggest, goofiest grin through the whole thing.

Am i correct in thinking that the flashback of him talking to his grandma about "The most important day"/ His Mum's hospital visit was supposed to be when he got his starter Pokemon?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Muppetjedi posted:

I loved the film. I had the biggest, goofiest grin through the whole thing.

Am i correct in thinking that the flashback of him talking to his grandma about "The most important day"/ His Mum's hospital visit was supposed to be when he got his starter Pokemon?

Well, he was 11, which is The Age for that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bbf2 posted:

How does that help him or benefit him at all or serve any sort of greater cause?

Being hellbent on changing the world based on misguided ideals that fall apart under the slightest scrutiny is not that uncommon

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

bbf2 posted:

Maybe I missed a line of dialogue here or there but I did not understand the main villain's motivation at all.

He doesn't know he's the villain, so his clearly selfish plan to do it to himself is something he just thinks everyone would naturally want.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Would it be worth it to turn into a Ditto? You could stay in your normal form most of the time and you'd gain superpowers, but in return you'd also get beady eyes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked the line during the climax: "I have no guilt about hitting a beady-eyed version of the girl I like!"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Went with a Pokemon mad friend last night, I've never properly played/watched Pokemon. Thought it was great, have picked up enough knowledge through cultural osmosis that it never felt confusing (I saw someone earlier in the thread say that non Pokemon fans would find it confusing, so, there you go)

Then again I'm sufficiently enough of a dumbass to not see the ending coming, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Whole lotta excited kids in the theater. One started crying when you saw the Dittos eyes. Heheh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elman posted:

Would it be worth it to turn into a Ditto? You could stay in your normal form most of the time and you'd gain superpowers, but in return you'd also get beady eyes.
For sure dude could have just done the transplant with Ditto. He'd be 99% normal and functional

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

For sure dude could have just done the transplant with Ditto. He'd be 99% normal and functional

Well, he probably wouldn't have been able to talk to humans. But I guess that's only a problem if he doesn't go through with the rest of his Master Plan.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I really liked the line during the climax: "I have no guilt about hitting a beady-eyed version of the girl I like!"

Who then immediately wipes the floor with him, its great.

Also, Ditto is a terrifying creature in this setting, because it's pulling forms from your memory to gently caress with you. He only saw Lucy over a camera, and never seen/knew Cubone and the scene earlier. Ditto deliberately chose those forms to screw with Tim in the worst ways.

And I will never not laugh at beady-eye form. Its like the Judge Doom reveal from Roger Rabbit, its amazing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I never understand why the "Does the villain's plan make *perfect* sense?" question always comes up. Like with Thanos or Magneto. They're the BAD GUY. They're INSANE and want to hurt people for their own gain. They're also invariably wrong so the movie can happen. No poo poo, their plan will have some holes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well he only wants to help people

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Bill Nighy Did Nothing Wrong

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well he only wants to help people

I'm on my phone, but there's at lest three Pokemon villains who do this same thing.

Someone pointed it out earlier, but the idea of 'powerful and charismatic leader seeks to use Pokemon to save the world with heavy cost' is almost a tradition of villains in the games now. Bill Nighy was simply following the proper nature of things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lysandre: Hello young man. I'm a believer in beauty. This world deserves to be beautiful but right now it is putrid. It must be cleansed.

Pokemon Prof: That's not suspicious at all! That Lysandre sure is eccentric!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Lysandre: Hello young man. I'm a believer in beauty. This world deserves to be beautiful but right now it is putrid. It must be cleansed.

Pokemon Prof: That's not suspicious at all! That Lysandre sure is eccentric!

Required posting:

https://youtu.be/DN9DW4rrEjY

keet
Aug 20, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'm on my phone, but there's at lest three Pokemon villains who do this same thing.

Someone pointed it out earlier, but the idea of 'powerful and charismatic leader seeks to use Pokemon to save the world with heavy cost' is almost a tradition of villains in the games now. Bill Nighy was simply following the proper nature of things.

Specifically, a lot of Pokemon runs on kaiju flick logic IMHO, and I felt dumb not realizing the antagonist is one of the most popular tropes in that

Unrelatedly, I can not hear that name as" Bill Nye"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't the bad guys plan have one major flaw? What happens when all the pokeymans with human minds grow old and die? I'm assuming that his end goal is to turn all of humanity into the creatures.
So what if two people who have become primeapes mate? I don't see how the offspring would have a human spirit. In other words he's doomed humanity to extinction.

At least the guy does his poo poo because he believes it's for the betterment of our species. The baddie in the game just wants to set of a bunch of poke-PCP during the parade so a bunch of people and pokemon get killed and it'll bring his version of FOX News killer ratings. Now that's some seriously evil poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm a little surprised this movie didn't do anything with "ditto is failed mewtwo", since that is like the ultimate "it's obviously true but nothing has ever said it" right after "they switched butterfree" and "kangus is cubone's mom"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I could be very off-base, but I interpreted the villain’s motivations as being about self-image. Our introduction to Bill Nighy is through a slick propaganda video lauding him as a visionary and modern-day prophet. When we actually see him in person, we find this idea has pervaded through his companies, to the point where his son’s staff see no issue in claiming he has god-like qualities for the nightly news. (The son, seeing the absurdity of this, asks whether “curing cancer” is next.)

The scheme, then, is less about furthering humanity’s evolution than it is about making sure Nighy is seen as the leader of that evolution. It is about stripping Nighy of all his weaknesses (his disability, his age) and becoming sleek, shiny and new; something that deserves worship and adoration.

I mean, the dude lives in a skyscraper surrounded by the images of literal Pokémon gods. Seems like he’s less concerned with humanity than his ego.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Really, if the guy was smart he would offer the deal only to rich old farts who are close to dying. They get to pick the pokeyman and everything. That's actually a sensible scheme that would make mad bank.