Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Bless
https://twitter.com/DanCasey/status/1127000428925710336
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1127004257771819008
https://twitter.com/arcticninjapaul/status/1127000206455656448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Godzilla vs Biollante is loving awesome. Is Millie Bobby Brown gonna have ESP in King of the Monsters?

[Edit] That was some weird rear end poo poo and I loved it. Lmao, this Saradian dude pops up loving everywhere.

[Edit 2] LOL he just disappeared from the thunder thing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 11, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The music in Biollante is loving great. It's funny that spy shenanigans theme is still memorable in a score full of epic and melancholy tracks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Of all the things the score in Biollante reminded me of, it was Sam Rockwell's dancing scene in the Charlie's Angels reboot lmao.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Leavemywife posted:

Just so I'm not empty quoting here, I'd love to see what Gigan would look like as a Legendary monster.

Gigan and Space Godzilla. After Godzilla defeats all the Earth titans, it’s time to fight the ones from space.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Open Marriage Night posted:

Gigan and Space Godzilla. After Godzilla defeats all the Earth titans, it’s time to fight the ones from space.

He is about to kick King G's rear end...

Gigan would be great, although it would mean kicking the entire 'vaguely naturalistic' aesthetic to the curb for good

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Just a reminder that this is coming too for iOS and Android.. play as any of the Godzillas you want!

quote:

Godzilla (1954, 1966, 1968, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2016)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/10/protect-your-city-in-new-godzilla-defense-force-mobile-game

https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_Defense_Force

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Watching Gaydorah, and I didn't realize the Heisei films all share the same timeline and are in continuity with one another. This is awesome. :allears:

[edit] there's time travel in this poo poo?!

[edit 2] lol young Spielberg Spielberg's dad namedrop

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 12, 2019

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I missed out on a lot of the Heisei films so I'm excited to hear that. I've been going through the Millennium films and they don't give any fucks about continuity. Were GMK and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla made by different studios? Despite being released back to back they both pose themselves as direct sequels to 1954 and even the Godzilla suits are different. GMK in particular was a bit of a hot mess. I've never seen such a defanged Ghidorah.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of people love GMK

I am not one of those people

And yeah, from Return of Godzilla 1984 to Godzilla VS Destroyah 1995, it is one long continuous storyline with recurrent human cast members, continuity and consequences.

Space Godzilla calls back to both Biolante AND Mothra

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
GMK had its moments to be sure. There was an infectious quirkiness and self-awareness to some of the characters that felt unique among the Godzilla films I've seen--the long-haired head of the channel Yuri worked for, the cameraman who had an unrequited lover for her, the old man spewing prophecies before being unceremoniously killed by Ghidorah. There was a delightful Scream-esque vibe to the first half hour as the kaiju are introduced that was unfortunately dispensed with pretty quickly. The relationship between Yuri and her father was touching at times. There's a clear theme running throughout about the horrors of war being forgotten by the latest generation, but it was clear because it was explicitly stated, not because the action or plot worked toward that theme per se. The early CG is bad but at least used sparingly (unlike Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla)

I can certainly see the appeal of GMK, it was fine, it mostly just felt half-baked to me.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
GMK is the Godzilla film I feel most conflicted about. A lot of elements work so drat well (Godzilla himself, Baragon, the human cast, most of the second act) but so much of it just falls completely flat (its use of Mothra and Ghidorah, the entire third act including the anticlimactic resolution, the score). And I almost feel bad about not liking it as much as I feel I should considering the director and the fact the it was the first Millennium film where it looked like Toho was really trying.

However, it is the film whose poster I have hanging in my living room, since it is a nice design with the three most iconic monsters in the franchise, plus Baragon, who is my wife's favorite kaiju because he's just so adorable in that film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The human stuff in GMK is good, the Godzilla DESIGN is really good, Baragon is fantastic. The city destruction is nothing to write home about though. The actual message of the movie is important.

Mothra in the movie is fine. Her prop is a god awful mess however. It just looks like the fakest poo poo.

Godzilla's suit is flawed in several ways. It looks really, really good in some shots, but the legs are too disjointed from the body due to how it was made and the head has a really obvious fake quality to the neck where it moves. Better by miles than Kiryu Godzilla though.

Ghidorah is the nadir of the movie. Single worst Ghidorah, an incredibly lovely costume, an awful design, just bad all around.

It's hilarious to me that the poster of GMK, one of the best things about it, features a Ghidorah and Mothra that ABSOLUTELY are not in the movie. The Mothra looks like the classic one, and Ghidorah looks closer to Heisei or Grand Ghidorah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think the final wars goji suit looks pretty good. Gmk has a beer gut.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

teagone posted:

I'm about to embark on a weekend long marathon of the Heisei era films. Starting Godzilla 1985 in a few hours. :getin:

I've only ever watched a handful of Showa era movies, so I'll be seeing these Heisei joints for the first time. Should I watched them dubbed or native with subtitles?

the only things you should ever watch dubbed are Italian horror movies where the original voice track literally doesn't exist and was never intended to be used

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the only things you should ever watch dubbed are Italian horror movies where the original voice track literally doesn't exist and was never intended to be used

This is a really myopic way of viewing dubbing.

Subs are visual noise that requires the viewer to take attention away from the visuals of the show/movie and can interfere with moods or looks a director is going for. A lot of dubs are really bad, but there are quite a few good ones that add to the experience if you don't speak the original language.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Monster Zero is superior dubbed than it is subbed.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is better paced in the dubbed version than it is in the Japanese.

MechaGodzilla 74 is AMAZING dubbed and gently caress you for saying otherwise

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've been following Burkion's suggestions and so far so good. Gonna blow through the last 4 films tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Monster Zero dubbed has A Happy Moment.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I just finished watching Mothra vs Godzilla and I love that the final fight is just an early Bug Catcher fight in a Pokemon game where his two caterpie just repeatedly use String Shot over and over on your pokemon. For like ten minutes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Viridiant posted:

I just finished watching Mothra vs Godzilla and I love that the final fight is just an early Bug Catcher fight in a Pokemon game where his two caterpie just repeatedly use String Shot over and over on your pokemon. For like ten minutes.

My cousin, as like an 8-year-old, had access to a video camera and a tape real of the movie, and cut in footage of him aiming a garden hose with the monsters getting sprayed.

He later became a film editor.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that's not quite accurate to the weirdness of Italian horror dubs, and it's an interesting enough situation that i feel compelled to correct you

basically: the vast, vast majority of Italian movies from the 60s through 80s (horror or otherwise- this also notably applies to Westerns) were shot without sound. it's not that the "original language" doesn't exist and was never intended to be used; there is almost always an Italian version, it was generally used for the Italian release, and there's a decent number of times it turns out better than the English audio. the wrinkle is just that both versions were typically produced simultaneously, excepting particularly weird situations like Black Sabbath, meaning it's 100% a matter of personal taste rather than ~the director's vision.~

in my opinion dubs are totally fine if there's proper effort put into them. i don't think the Heisei Godzilla movies necessarily pass this bar, I think the acting in most of the dubs for them is awful (I would actually rank 1985 at the top of that list just because they, like, gave a poo poo), but I think pretty much anything dubbed in the modern day is fine, and the old American dubs of Godzilla movies also tend to be pretty good simply because there wasn't any impulse to drastically change them (they tried that with Varan and it bit them in the rear end).

(side note, but this is particularly funny, because i mostly associate you with being the other goon who likes Mirai Nikki, and that show is like a poster child for DUBS = GOOD: the dub legitimately improves on the Japanese audio in at least one huge and notable way, and a bunch of little ones)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There are also, at times, different dubs you could be talking about with the older Godzilla movies.

Sea Monster is the one I'm most familiar with in this regard, where it has two wildly different dubs. One is the one I grew up with and seems to be the more well known one, but there's also a really lovely one that is just awful.

And then there are the Gamera dubs.

All of the Gamera dubs.

All of them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah Gamera is its own weird issue, but... like, you're not actually missing much by watching the turbo-campy versions of those movies, they're awful regardless of language.

And, yeah, some of the Showa movies have more than one dub, but I don't think it actually matters for any of them- either they're all good (I wanna say Destroy All Monsters has both an old-school AIP dub that's fine, and a modern dub that's also fine), the bad one is virtually impossible to find, or it's The Mysterians.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

teagone posted:

Watching Gaydorah, and I didn't realize the Heisei films all share the same timeline and are in continuity with one another. This is awesome. :allears:

[edit] there's time travel in this poo poo?!

[edit 2] lol young Spielberg Spielberg's dad namedrop

Yeah, don't pay too much attention to it I recall a few uh inconsistencies the thread mentioned earlier

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Waugh, my local IMAX still hasn't put tickets on sale. :mad:

Also I just found out that Melbourne IMAX's screen is 32m × 23m (105 ft × 75 ft) which is seven storeys tall. There's a bigger screen in Sydney but they're apparently closed for renovations so I'll be watching King Of The Monsters on the largest operating cinema screen in the world. :clint: The closeup shots on the kaiju will be practically lifesized!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, don't pay too much attention to it I recall a few uh inconsistencies the thread mentioned earlier

It's actually totally consistent (the time travel stuff is basically a stable time loop), it's just a) utterly confusing as gently caress, and b) really easy to interpret in some extremely uncomfortable ways.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually REALLY dislike the 90s Godzilla dubs. I feel like whatever company made them didn't put much effort into performance or even matching voices with characters very well- in Space Godzilla there's an aging scientist who in the dub sounds like he's 18. (And Mothra features one of the least effective adult-trying-to-do-a-child's-voice jobs I've ever heard.)

One interesting thing about the 50s-60s kaiju dubs is a lot of the time they would try to cast Asian actors- James Hong is both Serizawa and Ogata in King of the Monsters, George Takei is in Godzilla Raids Again, etc. Sometimes it's white actors attempting accents which goes as well as you'd think, OTOH. There was also I feel more effort to match "types"- give the chubby comic relief a deep voice, etc. By contrast the 90s dubs are this weird mess of American and Commonwealth accents. (Granted this was already happening in the 70s- I doubt Cinemashares shelled out for any dubbing at all- but at least there you can recognize a lot of the voices who were also in kung fu movies of the time.)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

While I don't care about box office asides from it resulting in more Monsterverse films, I hope that King of the Monsters will break through the 600 million dollar wall. The only monster/creature flicks to reach that milestone are the Jurassic Park movies. Believe in Godzilla and friends and it will come true.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I feel like monster movies should be a no brainer to set up for international moneymaking. The cast is ancillary and you don’t need much more than a diverse group of actors to run and yell “ohno!” to hold up the film. Godzilla is a hero/villain for all peoples.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Peacoffee posted:

I feel like monster movies should be a no brainer to set up for international moneymaking. The cast is ancillary and you don’t need much more than a diverse group of actors to run and yell “ohno!” to hold up the film. Godzilla is a hero/villain for all peoples.

if youve ever watched a godzilla film you know this isnt true at all

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

it's an oversimplification, but i would say it's generally true that you can basically do whatever the gently caress you want for the human story, and as long as it loops back around to kaiju action it'll work out

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Godzilla is one of those weird characters that can play pretty much anything on the sympathy spectrum and not have it feel all that forced. Dude can be hero, villain, impassive force of nature, angry reptilian golem piloted by WWII ghosts, tragic victim of circumstance, literally just a palette swap for King Kong (If Kong were bigger and cooler), completely terrifying harbinger of destruction, thing that would loving eat Cthulhu, a loving father, Magneto somehow, a Kaiju version of Bruce Lee in Game of Death, and it pretty much always works.

The only thing he shouldn't be is weak. Which is why G '98 is the one film that we all agree just kind of hosed off from the mythos, except where we get to make fun of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...Magneto?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

Godzilla is one of those weird characters that can play pretty much anything on the sympathy spectrum and not have it feel all that forced. Dude can be hero, villain, impassive force of nature, angry reptilian golem piloted by WWII ghosts, tragic victim of circumstance, literally just a palette swap for King Kong (If Kong were bigger and cooler), completely terrifying harbinger of destruction, thing that would loving eat Cthulhu, a loving father, Magneto somehow, a Kaiju version of Bruce Lee in Game of Death, and it pretty much always works.

The only thing he shouldn't be is weak. Which is why G '98 is the one film that we all agree just kind of hosed off from the mythos, except where we get to make fun of it.

im not talking about that, godzilla films usually have an involved human plot so reducing the dub to them just screaming at a monster is a disservice

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

im not talking about that, godzilla films usually have an involved human plot so reducing the dub to them just screaming at a monster is a disservice

yeah kind of what I was getting at is, they usually have an involved human plot, but that human plot can be literally anything you can reasonably fit a kaiju into, from corporate boardroom drama to loving time travel

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah kind of what I was getting at is, they usually have an involved human plot, but that human plot can be literally anything you can reasonably fit a kaiju into, from corporate boardroom drama to loving time travel

oh yeah i agree with that. i thought the op was saying the dub could be anything, which having reread the post now yeah i misunderstood it. my mistake, sorry!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The post below yours is more what I meant, I know the characters matter. I didn’t mean it like that, just that there isn’t a huge reason why the cast for a kaiju movie couldn’t have people from all over the world in it, and not just actors commonly pulling box office in the west. Like in Shin, Yaguchi really isn’t given time to argue with a love interest or go home and watch tv and jerk off but he’s not sidelined or room decor either. The government response team is almost symmetrical to the monster’s presence, and their adaptation abilities are being compared often. It has a lot of story room to approach humans as a global community, which also is the market the movies want to make money in now. Easier than dubbing or inserting clips of Raymond Burr.

All that said, I don’t know why I’m stumping for the international film markets anyhow.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Burkion posted:

Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974

Imagine if he went back in time and pulled that poo poo on Kong at Mt. Fuji.

OH YOU WANT TO SHOVE A TREE IN MY MOUTH?

And then he makes Kong swallow a loving radio tower. Or an entire Mechagodzilla.