Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I'm paying off a card with 0% APR on it for new purchases for 18 months, is it better to auto-pay the minimum (which I always do anyway in case poo poo happens) and then make regular payments on top to clear the balance, or put the money into a savings account or similar so it can earn even just a little bit of money for myself in the meantime. I'm currently splitting between the two and making equal payments to both, but curious as to if there's a consensus.

I log all my in/out stuff in Excel so I'm always aware of how much is put aside, how much is owed, when my 0% period is over, and what items have been covered already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would pay as much as you can each month to get rid of the CC debt. You can do a min payment and then another if you want or just one.

How much do you have in savings? At least a month of bills? That could change the answer if you don't.

E: if the card started with no debt and you are going to buy more than you can afford and "plan" to pay it back before the 0% period is over that is just a bad plan. Pay your CC off every month in full by the due date.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 6, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How much of money are you talking about? A few thousand in savings is, what, $10 over 18 months?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

L0cke17 posted:

I have a bit of an interesting question regarding my stock in a startup. I've been working here for almost 4 years (I was employee #2), and all my stock will be vested by September of this year (it is grants, not options, so I dont have to outlay any cash to 'own' it). I own a pretty significant chunk of the company at the moment. We are surprisingly successful so far, but likely will not be publicly traded for another 3-5 years, which is a long time for things to potentially go wrong in and also a long time to have debts accruing interest if I could sell some sooner. The company finished the Series A funding last fall and is raising Series B and we do have recurring revenue, so our chances of success are quite high in my opinion but I want to de-risk myself somewhat and I have a significant chunk of stock that I can sell privately and I'm trying to weigh my options for selling some of it off now to private parties vs waiting to IPO or if the company gets bought.

For context we currently have a mortgage and are paying off student loans, but if we continue the way we are spending we can pay off the student loans in the next 18 months and the mortgage within another 6 years after that and we currently have an emergency fund of ~8 months living expenses + next years property taxes in savings. We are only contributing to retirement funds up to the matching percentage that my wife's company has until we finish the student loan payments (our mortgage is at 4%, the student loans are between 4 and 5%).

Before I go talking to places that either invest in private stock, or facilitate the sale of private stocks (like SharesPost and EquityZen) and I am trying to figure out if its worth selling it at all now to pay off a chunk of debt to get to saving sooner, or if I should just continue to treat it like it's worthless and be surprised in a few years if it turns out to have value when the IPO happens. Does anyone have any experience with selling pre-IPO private stocks?

Stock options and private equity investments in small companies is generally a ponzi scheme. The first A and B round investors usually do well, even if the company fails completely. Everyone else takes on a huge amount of risk and rarely gets paid out. These are the suckers, the bagholders who have transferred their wealth to the Series A/B investors. Yes, these suckers are usually the employees who volunteered to surrender real money for fictional money, and whichever firm participated in the last big round of fundraising.

So if you do get stock options at these small companies you really do want to find a way out between A and B. 90% of the time that is when your valuation will be highest. Even if you're profitable and growing it doesn't matter, the ponzi scheme demands new investors at higher and higher valuations forever and the moment investor interest subsides the company collapses or gets acquired.

Being profitable is actually seen as a red flag often. In tech the stakeholders will see that and come in and demand you double spending on sales, double spending on features, more adwords, more AWS budget, hire a bunch of blockchain ML engineers for no reason you have to grow faster grow grow grow until you're not profitable anymore and holy poo poo the company just shut down.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 6, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

spwrozek posted:

I would pay as much as you can each month to get rid of the CC debt. You can do a min payment and then another if you want or just one.

How much do you have in savings? At least a month of bills? That could change the answer if you don't.

E: if the card started with no debt and you are going to buy more than you can afford and "plan" to pay it back before the 0% period is over that is just a bad plan. Pay your CC off every month in full by the due date.

Uthor posted:

How much of money are you talking about? A few thousand in savings is, what, $10 over 18 months?

So say right now as of this morning there was about $3,000 owed on it with 17 months remaining. I put $500 towards it and put $500 into my savings (which had like $100 in it just as a placeholder) and I have about $2,000 in my checking account with not much in the way of bills due each month (water/electrical/cable/cell comes to maybe $400 a month). So yeah, I could probably clear it out within a month or two presuming I don't use it for more than the regular day to day stuff I would normally use my debit card for, but kinda interested how it would scale if I needed to put something on there that was out of my month-to-month reach.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EL BROMANCE posted:

So say right now as of this morning there was about $3,000 owed on it with 17 months remaining. I put $500 towards it and put $500 into my savings (which had like $100 in it just as a placeholder) and I have about $2,000 in my checking account with not much in the way of bills due each month (water/electrical/cable/cell comes to maybe $400 a month). So yeah, I could probably clear it out within a month or two presuming I don't use it for more than the regular day to day stuff I would normally use my debit card for, but kinda interested how it would scale if I needed to put something on there that was out of my month-to-month reach.

Don't.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All I need to know, I have no immediate plans for anything anyway. I paid off about $10k over 21 months for home improvements that were needed on a 0% card and I cleared it in time for the last month almost perfectly, but putting that much on a card is not something I really want to do again anyway. Happier building up savings and minimizing debt, but time was against us at that point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Using a credit card isn't a bad thing. It is much preferred to a debit card. I use my debit maybe 5 times a year. Just have to have discipline and pay it off each month.

I put about 3k a month on mine. Pay it off, get the points, etc.

My GFs business credit card she puts 35-40k on a month. It is crazy the points she gets back.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my debit card has been compromised twice in the last year, and I only use it like once every blue moon to pull cash out of the atm.

it never happens to my credit cards. it's perplexing, i guess one of the like three atms i ever use has a skimmer on it or something.

i wonder if i can get a debit card that doesn't also work as a credit card.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 7, 2019

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my debit card has been compromised twice in the last year, and I only use it like once every blue moon to pull cash out of the atm.

it never happens to my credit cards. it's perplexing, i guess one of the like three atms i ever use has a skimmer on it or something.

Credit transactions (in the US) are protected by laws that state you, the cardholder, are not responsible for any more than $50 in fraudulent/unauthorized charges. Debit cards have no such protection. Most banks will still comp you, but they legally don't have to.

Also compromised cards happen. A lot.

Could be skimmers, but it's most likely or most likely the credit processor that the websites you use got hacked. Or your bank got hacked.

I've also received new cards because my number was in a group that got compromised, or the card was used at a store/processor that was known to have been compromised. It was purely preemptive on the bank's part, no fraud had happened on my particular card, but there could have been.

Bottom line I guess is that you will never escape this. No use worrying about it, just keep an eye on your transactions.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I literally never use that debit card to buy anything, it is only used at the atm. I have credit cards for making purchases.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I once got a new card in the mail, completely out of the blue, simply because there was a block of card numbers that got compromised from the bank and mine happened to be among them.

If a card number exists, it can be compromised.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I literally never use that debit card to buy anything, it is only used at the atm. I have credit cards for making purchases.

Call your bank and have them set the Debit Limit for purchases to $0.01 - that way anyone who skims your number/steals your card can't do poo poo with it unless they have the PIN. You can no longer make purchases with it, but it'll still work fine as an ATM card (the ATM Withdrawal limit is a different thing).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had a CC, used it 4 times and put it aside. Noticed new charges on it from Xbox online services so cancelled, had them reversed and a new card came.

Activated the card then locked it away. Never went into a wallet. Never left the house. A month later - Xbox and Hulu recurring charges.

Killed the whole account because Jesus, what’s going on there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Microsoft will aggressively track down all debit and credit cards associated with an inactive card if you're set to auto pay!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Microsoft will aggressively track down all debit and credit cards associated with an inactive card if you're set to auto pay!

Yup, this is a "convenience feature" that a lot of CC companies will do so you don't bounce on recurring payments. Just because you get a new card number, your background account is the same potentially and your CC company will just move the charges if you didn't close for malicious reasons. I had this happen with a Panera card that I hadn't touched in 2 years that was linked to a Chase card that was closed and then opened a new Chase Sapphire card that started getting hit with Panera transactions even though I had never entered the new card info anywhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DJCobol posted:

Yup, this is a "convenience feature" that a lot of CC companies will do so you don't bounce on recurring payments. Just because you get a new card number, your background account is the same potentially and your CC company will just move the charges if you didn't close for malicious reasons. I had this happen with a Panera card that I hadn't touched in 2 years that was linked to a Chase card that was closed and then opened a new Chase Sapphire card that started getting hit with Panera transactions even though I had never entered the new card info anywhere.

Interesting, it absolutely was closed for malicious reasons and the second card had charges from companies that never charged the original. Maybe someone at Citi dropped the ball and didn't flag it right, but I remember the chargeback listed it as saying it was a fraudulent charge. Over and done with now, the whole account is paid off and closed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just called Ally and they have a companion app for the mobile app that lets you set controls for your card, so I got that and turned off everything but ATM transactions.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I called Capital One to see if they could lower my interest rate (25.15%) on a card I never use. They said it would require them to pull my credit report to do so.

I don’t use the card as I said. And it has a zero balance. It was just something I was curious about since it’s my highest APR card.

Obviously I’m not going to since the APR is (at least currently) irrelevant since I never use the card. Other than needing to pay off a high balance, is there ANY reason to do this?

I’m not really asking for advice, I’m just curious.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

colachute posted:

I called Capital One to see if they could lower my interest rate (25.15%) on a card I never use. They said it would require them to pull my credit report to do so.

I don’t use the card as I said. And it has a zero balance. It was just something I was curious about since it’s my highest APR card.

Obviously I’m not going to since the APR is (at least currently) irrelevant since I never use the card. Other than needing to pay off a high balance, is there ANY reason to do this?

I’m not really asking for advice, I’m just curious.
I don't even know the APR on any of my cards. I have 4 of them right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't even know the APR on any of my cards. I have 4 of them right now.

Same, literally no idea. Pay it off each month and stay ignorant.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fair enough. I just saw the APR on the bill for the card I do use and it got me curious so I looked to see what the others were.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can request an ATM card.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had a CC, used it 4 times and put it aside. Noticed new charges on it from Xbox online services so cancelled, had them reversed and a new card came.

Activated the card then locked it away. Never went into a wallet. Never left the house. A month later - Xbox and Hulu recurring charges.

Killed the whole account because Jesus, what’s going on there.
This is a feature for when you change out cards so that you don't have to redo all of your recurring billing. If you reported that as fraudulent, though, they really shouldn't have reinstated it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I am in month 2 of using my first credit card (a secured card from citi) and I noticed that I cannot use it at my regular gas station. What is up with that? I works everywhere else.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

I am in month 2 of using my first credit card (a secured card from citi) and I noticed that I cannot use it at my regular gas station. What is up with that? I works everywhere else.

Gas stations put a pre-payment hold on your card —sometimes as high as $150. Maybe your secured card won’t cover that?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

Gas stations frequently put ginormous holds on credit card purchases. The hold is probably higher than your limit, so it declines.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Gas stations frequently put ginormous holds on credit card purchases. The hold is probably higher than your limit, so it declines.

My limit is $2.5k, and I still have an available credit of ~$1.7k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

What did they say when you called them and asked bout this?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Gas stations put a pre-payment hold on your card —sometimes as high as $150. Maybe your secured card won’t cover that?

If you go inside and ask for $20 of gas, do they still put a hold?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

howdoesishotweb posted:

If you go inside and ask for $20 of gas, do they still put a hold?

No. You’re essentially completing the transaction by paying inside.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

What did they say when you called them and asked bout this?

Haven't tried this, but I should do so.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My wife and I are currently living with her parents, and we've been paying down our debts with the goal of trying to get back out on our own. The housing and rental market are both utter poo poo in our area, and we're planning on moving elsewhere in the future, so we're looking for a single-wide mobile home we can live in till we're ready to sell it and move on with our lives. Currently, we still have some debts that we're paying on, but we've been finding relatively inexpensive trailers, and we're wondering if it might be wise to try and borrow money to consolidate our leftover debts and pay for the trailer all in one step.

Currently, the debts we're thinking of paying off are:
~$1,500 on my car loan, $262/month payment
~$1,250 on my credit card, $50/month minimum payment
~$4,000 on a personal loan, $185/month payment

total: $6,750, $497/month payment

We would also hope to cover these additional things with this loan:
~$15,000 base price for the trailer(we've been finding a lot of $10k-$15k for slightly older ones around town)
~$3,000 for furniture, appliances, and any must-be-done repairs or the like discovered after purchase
~$2,000 buffer as a just-in-case sort of insurance policy. Because this section is all estimates and I'm likely wrong and would need more money.

total: $20,000
grand total: $26,750

Now, I have no clue on the rates and fees for this sort of thing. That's partially why I'm here. I want a sanity check on this before I go any further. My thinking is all said, fees and interest could possibly(?) be around 50% of the total of the loan? Maybe? If it is, that'd make the total jump to $40,125. Assume a loan for that has a term of, I dunno, pulling a number out of my rear end here, 6 years. Break that down into monthly payment, that grinds out to $557.29/month. Now, IF that's actually reasonable, and again I have no idea if it is or not, then that's entirely doable from a budgeting perspective, considering that it's only ~$65 more per month than I'm currently paying anyway.

So, I guess my question is, is this even realistic? Should I look further down this road? Or am I completely off base here? Either way, any insight you guys can give would be great.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Be really really really careful with trailers. The whole industry is basically in business to completely gently caress you and all the other owners over.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spwrozek posted:

Be really really really careful with trailers. The whole industry is basically in business to completely gently caress you and all the other owners over.
Not to derail, but do you mind linking any resources on this? I'd like to learn more.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounds like you're trying to borrow your way out of debt and increase your debt at the same time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blinky2099 posted:

Not to derail, but do you mind linking any resources on this? I'd like to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

Tldr, you don't own the land, can get kicked off of it easily, and the trailers aren't exactly "mobile" enough to just pick up stakes and move.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that segment on LWT is really good and came around at the best possible time for you it seems.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Uthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

Tldr, you don't own the land, can get kicked off of it easily, and the trailers aren't exactly "mobile" enough to just pick up stakes and move.

(Among other huge problems) this has been a huge problem in the bay area where I'm living. There are only a few mobile home parks left, they require you sign 5 year leases with built-in minimum rent increases (which are usually not maximum rent increases), require you give first right of refusal to the land owner if you're going to sell the home with stupidly long refusal times so that your potential buyers lose patience and buy somewhere else, and in some cases also assess fees for abandoned property or for utility disconnects if you do leave. It's seriously hosed, but there's literally nowhere left for these people to go unless they abandon everything they own and hoof it to another state entirely. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

neogeo0823 posted:

My wife and I are currently living with her parents, and we've been paying down our debts with the goal of trying to get back out on our own. The housing and rental market are both utter poo poo in our area, and we're planning on moving elsewhere in the future, so we're looking for a single-wide mobile home we can live in till we're ready to sell it and move on with our lives. Currently, we still have some debts that we're paying on, but we've been finding relatively inexpensive trailers, and we're wondering if it might be wise to try and borrow money to consolidate our leftover debts and pay for the trailer all in one step.

Currently, the debts we're thinking of paying off are:
~$1,500 on my car loan, $262/month payment
~$1,250 on my credit card, $50/month minimum payment
~$4,000 on a personal loan, $185/month payment

total: $6,750, $497/month payment

We would also hope to cover these additional things with this loan:
~$15,000 base price for the trailer(we've been finding a lot of $10k-$15k for slightly older ones around town)
~$3,000 for furniture, appliances, and any must-be-done repairs or the like discovered after purchase
~$2,000 buffer as a just-in-case sort of insurance policy. Because this section is all estimates and I'm likely wrong and would need more money.

total: $20,000
grand total: $26,750

Now, I have no clue on the rates and fees for this sort of thing. That's partially why I'm here. I want a sanity check on this before I go any further. My thinking is all said, fees and interest could possibly(?) be around 50% of the total of the loan? Maybe? If it is, that'd make the total jump to $40,125. Assume a loan for that has a term of, I dunno, pulling a number out of my rear end here, 6 years. Break that down into monthly payment, that grinds out to $557.29/month. Now, IF that's actually reasonable, and again I have no idea if it is or not, then that's entirely doable from a budgeting perspective, considering that it's only ~$65 more per month than I'm currently paying anyway.

So, I guess my question is, is this even realistic? Should I look further down this road? Or am I completely off base here? Either way, any insight you guys can give would be great.

thought 1: where do you live?
thought 2: what are your current interest rates?
thought 3: never ever ever ever ever think of loans in terms of monthly payments
thought 4: never ever ever ever ever buy a mobile home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

$~9500 student loan debt @ 4-5% interest
$~9500 credit card debt on a 0% APR introductory rate for the next 14 months (balance transfer offer).

Even though it is 0% intro rate, is the obvious answer here to still pay off that CC as fast as possible before and pay the minimum on student loans? My preferred method of paying debt is to attack the highest interest first, and these are the only two things I have hanging over me. I can put about $1500/mo towards debt as of now, but I’m still building my emergency savings back up from a few months of unemployment in a high COL area.

Thanks!

E: for clarification I’m not comfortable simply splitting the CC into equal payments over the life of the intro offer.

colachute fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 13, 2019