Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cates is also writing Cosmic Ghost Rider where Frank Castle is space Ghost Rider. I haven't read it but it sounds very much my jam and I dig a lot of other stuff he's written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Len posted:

Cates is also writing Cosmic Ghost Rider where Frank Castle is space Ghost Rider. I haven't read it but it sounds very much my jam and I dig a lot of other stuff he's written.

Cosmic Ghost Rider is the best loving character.

Also Covok forgot to mention the absolutely adorable Unstoppable Wasp which is just loving perfect in every way. Latest issue has Nadia (the new Wasp) meeting all her extended family, with all the comic book weirdness that implies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I thought The Batman who Laughs was a play on The Man Who Laughs, the 1927 movie they ripped off for the Joker:

Looks like it's actually just some dumb-rear end DC poo poo instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fuego Fish posted:

Cosmic Ghost Rider is the best loving character.

Also Covok forgot to mention the absolutely adorable Unstoppable Wasp which is just loving perfect in every way. Latest issue has Nadia (the new Wasp) meeting all her extended family, with all the comic book weirdness that implies.

It sounds like he's had a couple miniseries now? I'm an outlier but I thought Frankencastle was great so doing something weird with Frank again is fine with me

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Covok posted:

Aaron on Thor is still good.

Spencer on Spider-Man was a delightful surprise.

Ewing on Immortal Hulk is seminal.

Spider-Man: Life Story is awesome.

Cates on Venom is A-MAZE-ING.

Synder's Justice League is phenomenal.

There is still a lot to enjoy.

Y-you just have to...ignore this.

How's Saladin Ahmed's current run on Ms. Marvel going?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

Sigmata is still centrist garbage.

We need a real leftist game that isn't afraid to point out how captialism is inherently evil and that we need full communism now.
It's not just that the writer is centrist, his worldview is laughable, so the cyberpunk dystopia he's projecting from that worldview is even more deluded.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There will always be good comics published by the Big Two, and there will always be bad comics published. It's the way it always has been, and the way it always shall be.

Well, until somebody works out printing paper pamphlets hasn't really been cost effective for over a decade, anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Synder's Justice League is phenomenal.

Hell yeah Zack ftw. It would be better without Whedon ruining it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Hell yeah Zack ftw. It would be better without Whedon ruining it.

Scott Synder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Snyder

Libertad! posted:

How's Saladin Ahmed's current run on Ms. Marvel going?

Too early to say. He's going far in an unfamiliar direction by taking Ms Marvel into space. That's a big deal as she almost never leaves New Jersey. There was one issue where she met her family in Pakistan and one issue where we followed Bruno in Wakanda. Outside of that, every issue of Miss Marvel has been in New Jersey. It's clear that Saladin wants to shake things up a bit. G Willow Wilson almost never had Miss Marvel fight supervillains. Whereas Saladin opened with a super villain fight. Like I said, it's impossible to see how it's going to play out. But I have a lot of faith because his work on Black Bolt was amazing and shows that he is capable of writing Amazing Stories. And his work on Exiles shows that he can write a diverse cast of characters. I get the vibe Saladin wants to keep her from her Supporting Cast for a little while, and I hope that is only temporary. I think he wants to shake things up a bit to avoid things getting stale.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Well, I've finished the first complete draft of my 7th Sea 2e Star Wars Hack. I've incorporated all of the specific feedback you guys gave me when I linked an incomplete version, but I'm sure there are plenty more flaws to discover and tweaks to be made.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 13, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
From the GBS talk to transformer thread

super sweet best pal posted:

If you type up a short list of RPG character class descriptions it starts churning out weird ones of its own. It's mostly just "The Paladin is a holy knight" type stuff but there's occasionally an interesting one in there.

quote:

Aberdeen - This dashing warrior gets the benefits of Stealth while fighting in formation.
Catch-a-Catch-All - A group of six friendly characters that all come equipped with an assortment of useful weapons that help them to take down foes and collect coins, tokens, and gems.
Stealth - Just don't let her go for the kill.
Titan - All hail the Titan of course! A robot capable of performing complex complex tasks. He's just a machine. With every round of combat he deals 1 damage to his enemies.
Grizzly - The finest marksmen in the fleet. Using his scoped scimitar he can deliver crippling shots from anywhere on the map.
Chariot - Can charge enemies with a wave of melee damage to inflict some serious crowd control.
Shoot in the Dark - A man with a gun that turns invisible
Brawler - An alchemist whose spells combine with his fists to create devastating effects to foes.
Astronaut - Another super-man. He may be a pilot but he's a badass at space combat.
Bogshark - The Bogshark is a sneaky and sneaky man. With Outwit and the ability to use his "Bogshark" and "Dawn" special abilities against infantry that have the abilities of the beast.
Bengal - A simple guy with a sword.
Naughty - She helps out the crew as they go about their business. When drunk she becomes more aggressive with her melee attacks, which deal additional damage to targets with the same armor rating. As well as her alcohol-powered gun, she offers drink to others in exchange for their cooperation.
Bounty Hunter - A class specializing in capturing and taking control of a large number of captured enemies.
Spin-Jockey - A character that has a special move that can turn himself into a ball of electricity and create a wave of swirling wind.
Kermit - Just another character from the game with a few odd quirks that's nice to see.
Marauder - She sucks, and that sucked.
Scrabbler - A scraper with an interesting ability that allows him to break down walls that aren't supported by solid blocks to help him clear out an area quickly and free up ammo for his scythe.
Soldre - A powerful combatant with a pair of axes that have extra range when used together.
Pauper - This poor guy has some issues keeping his body above water. The only thing he's doing is eating bugs.
Tomboy - An awesome tomboy
Singer Slinger - His pistol is a very good single target weapon that allows him to dish out high damage and burst damage. The skill of the weapon makes it the best defensive weapon in the game.
Pugnacious - The dog that can get pretty angry when he's not getting killed.
Nuclear - A robot in a nuclear suit that looks like the "nuclear bomb".
Gunslinger - Another melee class.
Penguin - A penguin with a mouth full of peanut butter... That's probably why penguins are famous creatures!
Djinn - Has a special ability, called "Djinn Shield." A shield that increases damage taken by 30%. The player must choose to either give this ability to themselves, or instead be immune to damage from a certain enemy type.
Cow - A creature of milk and flesh that can give off light. Can summon allies (and eat items)
Tomb priest : If you're looking for priests. This guy does it in about one page, the rest of the story is about him getting in his pants and talking.
Witch : One of the first Witch characters. This dude doesn't do the basics to get his poo poo done at all
Tsunami - Can be found under a rock just as a mage or a shaman/sorcerer.
Lustrider- A lustrider that can be trained at the Cathedral of Lust and a bonus to damage when shooting arrows up close.
Caveman - He's got the ability to dig through rock in the sewer, allowing him to find the items necessary for his current quest.
Juicer - He makes you drink his juice.
Vampire - The demon who becomes a vampire in death.
Dark Shaman - The demon who becomes a vampire in life.
Demon Hunter - Demon hunter
Gravekeeper - Sits in the middle of the fight, where there's barely anything to do and can easily be flanked. I like this one.
Thief- He's a really good-rear end thief who uses some really nasty magic.
Arborist - Can use wooden furniture to conceal his movement, and uses wooden tools to harvest wood.
Drafter - THe best skilled drafter, able to weave spells out of anything
Asteroid - The most expensive class?
Grandmaster - Can keep track of items and can summon creatures that can't be controlled. Can summon up to 10 creatures that can't be controlled at once.
Mummy - A mummy, a kind of mummy and a friend of the dead, is able to control undead by touching bones.
Mushroom - A strange mushroom-like entity, found in underground areas and sometimes at great cost.
Orb - Can take the form of a giant orb, he can throw it at enemies from long distance.
Pyromancer - Can summon pyromancers. They're fire spirits that can transform into a flaming horde… and even a demon king himself!
Pit Fighter - Has a strong affinity for pits. She will only give your heroes a quarter vegetable each turn.
Vault Hunter - A man who can see anything that moves... in an underground vault.
Cookie - A baked chocolate bar with a human face on top. It fights with its mouth as well.
Revenge Priest - The Chosen one, this priest can summon the spirits of the dead to restore his or her health.
Wingsuit Ranger - The Winged Ranger isn't just a mount. You can control him. He can fly, go airborne, fly through your heads. He'll protect you and you'll always be safe in the wings!
Mighty Man - It's possible to become a legendary super mutant. In this class, you're better than even your other allies!
Prowler - Can learn from every creature, as long as you aren't too close
Paladin - A powerful spellcaster who lives in the desert to avoid her oath to the divine.
Knave - Has a tendency to get in a lot of scuffles and get into situations he shouldn't. It doesn't stop here!
Blossom Walker - A flower warden.
Etched Warrior - A stone warrior like one from an ancient war!
Gilded Priestess - Has a love for gold and is often the target of people
Kitten - Likes to play with toys! As long as she has an egg on her head it's all good.

And of course you can have all of them for as little as 300,000
Tag yourself I'm vault hunter

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Kitten with an egg on her head is all good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

super sweet best pal posted:

Had it generate some more character classes.

quote:

Spider-Monkey - A mysterious creature that is not actually related to the other two, but does do a lot of cool things that have never been seen before.
Vigilante - He is the vigilante version of The Flash.
Arachnoid - An odd, but deadly spider species that is not a spider, but is more of an arachnid. Has great abilities like it has no legs and a bite.
Darth Vader - He's a bit of a dork.
Targeturret - The ultimate sniper. Attacks with its gun turret once per game.
Brawler - A strong ranged fighter that gets a free scan every turn. Replaces Blimpy, has a higher base combat level.
Bombardier - Also a Brawler. Replaces Blimpy. Has more ammo for Blimpy.
Raptor - Master of stealth, the Raptor can sneak behind enemy lines and attack on its own.
Comet - The world's last true god, a deity of science and technology.
Candy Cat - A strong and agile female. Can't resist the urge to shoot kittens. This is the Cat for me.
Mister Hammercracker - Super tough and very reliable. Doesn't even hit people or explode, but can break through objects.
Mister Hammerhammer - A lot more powerful and tougher than the other. I'd say it's close to unbeatable, but I'm probably a little biased.
Flamingo - An alien fighter with super strength and special attacks! His jetpack will make him even stronger.
Mantis - Master of stealth in the water. Able to hide during rainstorms.
Xenomorph - Very aggressive and very tough. Can eat your enemies to get more points.
Lucky Man - An extra speedster, with a dash speed of 100 mph.
Rope Thrower - When jumping in to attack, he leaps behind the ship, getting two free shots.
Turtle Bomber - Has the ability to create the same attack twice from different parts of his body. This means he can use his own jetpack attack on himself before firing to make him even stronger.
Parrot - An easy to use combatant with plenty of options for fighting. Can also move by flying with one jump if using a flying bike.
Frog - The frog can jump from under water and shoot with a jet pack.
Sleeper Bug - When killed, its corpse floats at random distance. While in mid water, the bug can attack from any direction.
Hatchling - A hatchling can hide from enemy fire with his tentacles.
Sharkmaster - A dangerous attacker and able to dive for you. His Shark-poo poo Bomb can be thrown on top of the water.
Aqua Clone - This clone can perform actions such as teleporting, using water balloons, or changing the environment.
Spider - Get out of dodge and kick with the Spider! They need help with that one, though.
Nurse - A medic who is only in it for the money. She can heal teammates, heal back at base, and is immune to traps.
Bubble-Head - The Bubble guy is only here to get back at you! He is weak against ice monsters and can be frozen for a couple turns.
Slime - The Slime guy has no abilities, but could be pretty useful.
Coconut - The coconut is only here to throw out your enemies, so he can survive a couple turns.
Stupidity - A smart swimmer with amazing agility. Able to jump from below water
Ponyman - Can summon a Pegasus or a hornbill pony to follow and attack enemies.
Scalopede - A agile creature with no legs but a high-speed swim. He can dive and shoot in the water.
Rope-Traveller - It's not safe to be late to your friend's wedding. It can jump from rope and use it as a catapult.
Toad - A fast tank with few arms. He can hold his own in combat with his powerful tail gun.
Chronus - In the 21st century, we've gotten tired of the normal guys. For them, Chronus is a time-traveler. He can manipulate the timeline to do his own thing.
Cobra - Cobras can jump from tree to tree and take full damage on them, but they still suffer from the -5 damage penalty.
Scary-rear end-Man - The ability to control an array of robotic weapons, even robots that are designed for combat such as these guys.
Nanomancer - This little angel has all the powers that can exist in the Universe.
Stranger in a Strange Land - A fighter who wants to survive the wilderness.
Elder Harpy - A sniper! She can shoot at targets anywhere in the game and she can take damage for every shot, making this one a great support character.
Mantis - This is the guy on the side of the humans, who is actually a bit of a jackass. He can destroy anything but if he is close the enemy's defense can be devastating.
Loser - A loser takes every defeat with both hands.
Reagan - The ultimate hero, taking on the enemies and beating anyone and everyone in hand-to-hand combat.
Dino-Mummy
Chambermaid - An old school swimmer. If you have one of her skills, you have a great swimmer!
B-Boys - Special units that can be deployed as allies.
Carpetbagger - A swift melee fighter who can quickly get into position and get their own attacks.
Duck Rider - Can use an attack to duck through cover and ride away.
Escape Artist - A melee fighter, usually using ranged weapons, this girl is really fun to play with as she is an amazing combo breaker.
Pizzaman - This powerful pizza-spinner uses the power of the cosmos to hit targets up to 10 levels higher than yourself.
Pillager - A mysterious plant that has an unlimited supply and produces pills. The pills cost 150 silver but they give a free pill per tile. Pillagers receive free movement and food and can also use their ability to get food.
Dummy - An ordinary-looking man who looks totally awesome but doesn't do anything awesome on the field.
Squid-Bunny - The best squids out there at dodging enemy bullets and destroying enemy structures.
Tiny Warrior Hero - Build a mech with abilities you already have in-hand.
D-Bastard - If there's a character to be fought, the Dread Bastard is one! His special attacks set him up to get all you want every turn to take on enemies.
Crazed Alien - A powerful alien that's even tougher then ever! His fists can pierce your shields!
Omega Soldier - It's not just some wannabe Space cowboy with a gun. He can teleport around your team. If he has one, he'll use it like normal.
Giant Scavenger - Can carry things on his back that no normal person could carry!
Zombie - More like a zombie robot with a gun. The zombies shoot fireballs from up above.

You get it. You can play these characters in any way you want. If you want to be all powerful and take a shot at the final boss, that's fine too.
No wait I'm arachnoid

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sign me up for Duck Rider.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i'm Reagan

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I’m probably Pugnacious.

But this

quote:

Paladin - A powerful spellcaster who lives in the desert to avoid her oath to the divine.

is an awesome hook.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm Demon Hunter, which is a demon hunter.

His name is Damon Hunter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

quote:

Juicer - He makes you drink his juice.
this is just very threatening

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Laughed out loud at Witch and Gravekeeper, so definitely gonna run with those two in Tekken Tag Tournament vs. Procedural D&D

Also I cannot believe they picked him to replace Blimpy

And Aqua-Clone sounds like what happens when you do not have a skilled mentor while you make your Champions character

Dino-Mummy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll always be your Wingsuit Ranger.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Gunslinger - Another melee class.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

While I'd be tempted to take all the powers there are in the universe, I'd rather be a ponyman, because I want to see what a hornbill pony is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In the 21st century, we've gotten tired of the normal guys.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I am definitely Tomb Priest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sound like you could use a Grizzly for whole map coverage. Let’s team up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Blossom Walker is a legitimately cool-sounding name for a Paladruid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Used the first three classes as input (then fed the last few lines back in as input to see where it went)

Aberdeen - This dashing warrior gets the benefits of Stealth while fighting in formation.
Catch-a-Catch-All - A group of six friendly characters that all come equipped with an assortment of useful weapons that help them to take down foes and collect coins, tokens, and gems.
Stealth - Just don't let her go for the kill. She'll turn around and charge at whoever she can catch with quick turns.
Powers - Any character gain +2 to all stats. She also gains a single Power rank that she always gets at the end of a round.
Siege Combat - After spending a week in the dungeon, choose from three of the Dungeon tiles that appear. These 3 tiles have been selected along with 4 other 3 tiles with the same or similar design. The player with the most gold at the end of the turn is the leader of the group.
Fancy Weapons - A character gain one of the following:
Sword - +2 to all weapon attack rolls.
Hornet Shield - The characters gain +2 shields during the round.
Bolting - The characters gain a +3 penalty to damage rolls made with a weapon that's aimed at them. They retain any damage reduction applied by their armor.
Avenger - The characters gain a +3 bonus to initiative rolls.
The above stats add up to roughly 15 AC, making it pretty difficult to kick your opponents when running at close range.
While it's possible for characters to survive such attacks, the rest of your hit points should always be reduced by 5, which helps mitigate the risk of death.
If a character is knocked down, they die and can no longer move. If a character gets knocked unconscious or dies while running, the fight ends there. If they have half of their hit points to spare while running, then they can keep running. That might not seem like a lot, but the risk you took in being tackled by an ogre, for instance, only increases by 5 points.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
orb

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’m Penguin.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

Naughty - She helps out the crew as they go about their business. When drunk she becomes more aggressive with her melee attacks, which deal additional damage to targets with the same armor rating. As well as her alcohol-powered gun, she offers drink to others in exchange for their cooperation.

I multiclassed, so mods, please change my name to naughty comet, tia

Warthur
May 2, 2004

moths posted:

I thought The Batman who Laughs was a play on The Man Who Laughs, the 1927 movie they ripped off for the Joker:

Looks like it's actually just some dumb-rear end DC poo poo instead.

It looks a LOT like a Judge Death ripoff, come to think of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I had a dream that I saw a Shadowrun 7th Edition book in a store somewhere, with a bunch of people talking about how cool and updated the rules were and how it blended oldschool Shadowrun style gear porn with more modern game design ideas. I started paging through and they had an entire GM-only chapter dedicated to solving the "cyberpunk problem "and creating fun scenarios where your deckers could do stuff in the Matrix while the rest of the party was still actively playing and working towards mission goals. As I was flipping to that chapter from the Table of Contents, specifically looking for the mechanical set of steps it provided to produce scenarios like that, my alarm went off.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I get it; an alarm that means all Deckers must leave the Matrix! Brilliant.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://nklerwjrejhshaasl.tumblr.com/post/184102482327/%C2%BD-baldurs-gate2

https://nklerwjrejhshaasl.tumblr.com/image/183019584832

This is cool. Dungeon Meshi artist ftw

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

This is cool, and also that Xan is incredible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The more and more we have our biweekly D&D sessions, the more I’m convinced that playing TRPGs immediately after a full work day sucks. I need to be drat well rested for this poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pollyanna posted:

The more and more we have our biweekly D&D sessions, the more I’m convinced that playing TRPGs immediately after a full work day sucks. I need to be drat well rested for this poo poo.

I guess before I agree or disagree I need to know what you do at work and what happens in your games

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Has anyone subscribed to Chronica for online campaign management? Obsidian Portal's continual bugginess has gotten to me, so I've been checking out alternatives. It seems to have some pretty useful features, especially in map management which is good because I'm thinking of doing Birthright next.

https://www.chronica.ventures/

I'm just wondering what I'm missing, to have not heard much buzz about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warthur posted:

It looks a LOT like a Judge Death ripoff, come to think of it.

There was a Judge Fear ripoff batman lately, too. Metal Batman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

moths posted:

There was a Judge Fear ripoff batman lately, too. Metal Batman?

Pretty sure it's the same character, but it's the typical thing that happens where a neat gimmick in a very silly or specific context gets readapted for -and probably by- folks who didn't 'get' the original, or don't realize that something worked well as a very limited thing.

Kinda like the way DC worked Watchmen or Constantine into its main continuity. Or hell look at a character like Redhood/Jason Todd from Morrison's stuff and Battle for the Cowl. He was specifically supposed to be an indictment of broody 90's xtreme antiheroes, but then got adapted into a crappy Grifter knock off who for some reason is still around even though DC owns Grifter now.