Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

In the interest of discussion, what made Frasier a “smart” show?

I wanna know what you think makes Frasier a “smart” show and not just the 90’s Big Bang Theory (a show about Smart People).

The writing is smart?

To quote an ancient Greek haberdasher, "Euripides, Eumenides!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd call Frasier "well-choreographed" before I'd call it smart.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm not eloquent with words, but the payoffs to Frasier's jokes seem clever and tickle my brian's pleasure centre, even when they're silly.

Big bang theory's payoffs seem like they're trying hard to be clever, but they mostly just irritate me. I'm not sure why, but it's mostly jokes that make me roll my eyes out of my skull.

This disregards the fact I find the likeability of the casts on different ends of the spectrum, which definitely influences things.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 12, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'd call Frasier "well-choreographed" before I'd call it smart.

That's good too, it really is a farce a lot of the time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's smart, but that doesn't mean you have to have a college degree to understand it, or something like that. It just doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator quite as much as other sitcoms of its era.

Like, it's a little too smart for the dumbest people on the planet to understand it, but the vast majority of people can understand it just fine.

Though I'm probably giving people too much credit.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
The really farcical episodes like the ski lodge episode are really well-constructed, where every element is funny in and of itself, but also builds up the larger whole.

The only other 90s sitcoms that did this were perhaps later Seinfeld seasons and some parts of NewsRadio.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Veneer, drink!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Another Bill posted:

[INTERIOR CELLAR]

Niles: "Frasier, the murderer is in the house. Quick, grab something to club him with!"

*Frasier takes a wine bottle of the shelf to brandish*

Niles, holding a cat o'nine tails taken off the dungeon sex toy table "Not that one Frasier, that's the 2002 Quinta das Carvalhas!"
Got bored and messed with this script awhile back:

[Frasier believes his father had an affair with a family friend]
Frasier: Would you come in for a moment, please? [Marion enters] After you met with Dad the other night, ah, he and I had a little conversation. That was the first time I learned what happened that summer.
Marion: Oh, I'm sorry.
Frasier: Well... I guess I'm not the sort of person who can hear news like that and just sweep it under the rug and forget about it.
Marion: I know you're upset. But if it's any consolation, in time your father and I forgave them.
Frasier: [puzzled] Forgave them?
Marion: Frasier, your mother was a good person. So was my husband. They made a mistake. And anyways it was the early 80s. No one will miss three or four itinerant drifters. Tell your father I stopped by. I felt so silly crying in front of him the other night. I've been a little overemotional since Dan died and the FBI took our collection.
Frasier: [outraged] ITINERANT DRIFTERS? THREE OR FOUR? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
Marion: That seems to be a bit of an over-reaction, Frasier. Why, I remember you playing drums down by the lake with a pair of human femurs they gave you, happy as a clam.
Frasier: [looking green] Yes, well I rarely get to the shore anymore.
Marion: Well... goodbye, Frasier.
Frasier: Goodbye.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

secular woods sex posted:

Frasier: Would you come in for a moment, please? [Marion enters] After you met with Dad the other night, ah, he and I had a little conversation. That was the first time I learned what happened that summer.
Frasier: Well... I guess I'm not the sort of person who can hear news like that and just sweep it under the rug and forget about it.
Marion: I know you're upset. But if it's any consolation, in time your father and I forgave them.
Marion: Frasier, your mother was a good person. So was my husband. They made a mistake. And anyways it was the early 80s. No one will miss three or four itinerant drifters. Tell your father I stopped by. I felt so silly crying in front of him the other night. I've been a little overemotional since Dan died and the FBI took our collection.
Frasier: [outraged] ITINERANT DRIFTERS? THREE OR FOUR? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
Marion: That seems to be a bit of an over-reaction, Frasier. Why, I remember you playing drums down by the lake with a pair of human femurs they gave you, happy as a clam.

Wow. :kiss:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

secular woods sex posted:

[Niles enters, hanging up his comically oversized 90s cell phone]

Niles: Frasier! Terrible news! Maris hit a drifter with the Aston Martin last night!

Frasier: Niles, that's awful. Was he alright?

Niles: I don't know she just kept driving. The headlight is ruined, a mirror was taken off... it's going to cost me 15,000 dollars to repair the damages.

Frasier [looking scandalized] : Oh Niles, you simply must go to the police.

Niles: Well, I don't think there's any need to call the police, that's just how much it costs to fix an imported luxury vehicle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frasier was "smart" because it was a collection of what the average 90s viewer thought smart people were like: knowledgeable about the world, degree from a prestigious university, charatable and a social climber, liked classical music and opera, versed in The Classics, carried a suitcase, threw around big words, drank speciality drinks at a coffee shop, shopped at Whole Foods and could critique wine or foods.

That it's often a well constructed farce just gets at how empty the concept of it being a Smart Show was.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bust Rodd posted:

In the interest of discussion, what made Frasier a “smart” show? The wine? The fancy objet de artes

I watched S1-8 in like 3 weeks and dropped off as soon as Niles & Daphne ruin everyone’s lives and weddings. I love the show but never really got the impression is was “smart” over the sense that it was a show “about smart people”.

The best gags in the show are DHP physical acting and comedic timing, Frazier’s delivery, Martin’s ancient dad wisdom, and Daphne’s white trash upbringing stories. I guess if “well-written” is interchangeable with “smart” I’ll concede the point but I wanna know what you think makes Frasier a “smart” show and not just the 90’s Big Bang Theory (a show about Smart People).

Take an episode like the ski lodge, it's not just well written with zingers and gags it's a step-by-step recreation of a 19th century French farce. A lot of Frasier episodes take inspiration from various theatrical comedy styles and are written in a formulaic way so that all the absurdities and escalations both come naturally and end up neatly tied together by the end of ~22 minutes of screentime. It's not just that the show is 'funny' its that it is meticulously organized and put together

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 13, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ham Radio

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

It's not just that the show is 'funny' its that it is meticulously organized and put together.

screamed frasier

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

screamed frasier

As Martin in the background, I don’t know, farts on it or something

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

screamed frasier

If you think frasier is the meticulous one I dont know what you'd call Niles

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you like Frasier, you'll love Hay Fever by Noel Coward. Now that's something that's actually high-brow but also loving stupid but also intelligent and also amazing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mystery at Nightmare Inn is the best episode.

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you think frasier is the meticulous one I dont know what you'd call Niles
Fastidious

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The smartest part of Frasier is that Niles and Frasier are both fancy but get caught up in their own stupid bullshit constantly.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The smartest part of Frasier is that Niles and Frasier are both fancy but get caught up in their own stupid bullshit constantly.

I still remember the verbal beating Martin gave them at that steakhouse for their foofy classist bullshit. Our house growing up was more like Roseanne than anything you'd see on Frasier, so that scene really etched itself in there.

Weird, the stuff that sticks with you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a lot of it is that Frasier and Niles are genuinely smart people, and Martin and Roz aren't dumb either, but they still get caught up in doing hilariously dumb things for reasons that make sense to them at the time.

A lot of the extended themes are basically new money comedy, since that's what Frasier and Niles are (though it seems implied their mother was pretty wealthy, they did go to a fancy school) and so they can get involved in rich people stuff (Maris also helps there) while still being grounded, especially since Frasier works in showbiz and thus interacts with quite a variety of people.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

I still remember the verbal beating Martin gave them at that steakhouse for their foofy classist bullshit. Our house growing up was more like Roseanne than anything you'd see on Frasier, so that scene really etched itself in there.

What always bothered me about that episode is the bit where the waitress cuts Niles and Frasier's ties off. That was just Martin being a dick and not telling them about the dress code. If they'd taken him to a restaurant and he'd been humiliated for not knowing the dress code, that would have been the focus of the episode and ended with a realisation by Frasier that he'd acted like a dick.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sunswipe posted:

What always bothered me about that episode is the bit where the waitress cuts Niles and Frasier's ties off. That was just Martin being a dick and not telling them about the dress code. If they'd taken him to a restaurant and he'd been humiliated for not knowing the dress code, that would have been the focus of the episode and ended with a realisation by Frasier that he'd acted like a dick.

If you'd told me that's how an early draft of that episode had gone, I'd have believed you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(though it seems implied their mother was pretty wealthy, they did go to a fancy school)
I thought that was just some boomer-era "my mom did {who knows} and my working class dad earned enough to send us to Coxbury Academy and drive a car!" stuff. They mention Ma Crane was the sophisticate so I imagine she was the one saying that the kids needed a prim upbringing and that Marty would just have to go without the extra fridge full of beer this week.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dr Hester Crane was also a psychiatrist.

fake edit: thanks some Frasier wiki

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah, I have a few $30-50 ties and if someone just randomly cut one of them off, I'd be a bit peeved.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah, I have a few $30-50 ties and if someone just randomly cut one of them off, I'd be a bit peeved.

Why on earth, I mean clip ons exist idiot

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

They WERE being loving ridiculous too, I've legit never heard of anyone thinking steak is beneath them (certain cuts maybe, but it was a steakhouse!!)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They WERE being loving ridiculous too, I've legit never heard of anyone thinking steak is beneath them (certain cuts maybe, but it was a steakhouse!!)

You must have never experienced the crimes that can be perpetrated on an innocent steak.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Holy poo poo,Daphne's burns on Martin for being horny for the Korean lady were sick.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The weirdest thing about Frasier to me was Daphne's English phrases being poo poo no English person ever says but are like cartoon English people noises, like all the made up words in harry potter. The rest of the show seemed pretty clever, especially the comedy of errors episodes, and of course the general "you can have big words and fine tastes but still be a dumb jackass sometimes" tone Martin added. But that part just sticks out as some kind of Big Bang Theory prototype. I guess it was a less global era in media and American audiences really didn't know wtf English people sounded like. Maybe the script just had directions like DAPHNE MAKES VAGUE ENGLAND NOISES instead of lines for her sometimes. "Withershins upon the tullybottom as me old dad used to say Mister Crane!"

Apparently Eddie got like 90% of the fanmail sent to the show and its kind of beautiful that grown rear end people would write actual pen and paper letters to a dog.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

wit posted:

The weirdest thing about Frasier to me was Daphne's English phrases being poo poo no English person ever says but are like cartoon English people noises, like all the made up words in harry potter. The rest of the show seemed pretty clever, especially the comedy of errors episodes, and of course the general "you can have big words and fine tastes but still be a dumb jackass sometimes" tone Martin added. But that part just sticks out as some kind of Big Bang Theory prototype. I guess it was a less global era in media and American audiences really didn't know wtf English people sounded like. Maybe the script just had directions like DAPHNE MAKES VAGUE ENGLAND NOISES instead of lines for her sometimes. "Withershins upon the tullybottom as me old dad used to say Mister Crane!"

Apparently Eddie got like 90% of the fanmail sent to the show and its kind of beautiful that grown rear end people would write actual pen and paper letters to a dog.

We had to do speeches every year in elementary school. Friend of mine did his (I think) sixth grade speech on Moose (and a few other the others), the dog that played Eddie.

I don't even remember him being a fan of Frasier. He just did his speech on the dog.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

wishbone fan fics littered the internet back when

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wishbone was a dog who was rescued by an unknown pet store owner from a house down the road. She was treated for shock. No one knows now what was in that dog's heart, her mind, what brought it to the animal shelter. We only know she got the same treatment her owner, David J. Cramer, got decades ago when he lost a puppy to dog poo. Wishbone was adopted into our family who gave up his beloved dog for the love of their son and daughter. We wish he could have been adopted by the same family today since Wishbone was so close to them.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

wit posted:

Eddie was fantastic, especially considering that Jack Russell's are hyperactive little jerks.

I always lose it when Eddie stares down Frasier. "DAAAAADD!!!! Eddie keeps staring at me!!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

wit posted:

It's just really, really funny!

Daphne sucks out loud a fair few eps, for her English stuff and especially the indignant crap

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
my immersion ruined from being an accent goldilocks :negative:

Like Frasier in Ham Radio: "the gamekeeper sounds too cultured!" Meanwhile nobody else gives a gently caress

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I am Niles Crane the stupidest man alive. After my insanely contentious, difficult and bitter divorce which earned me my financial independence and most importantly, my self respect I went back to my exwife after her indentured servant died to console her, much to the detriment of my girlfriend, and then went to help her during her bout with an abusive boyfriend, again much to the terrible detriment of my pregnant wife, the woman who I pined for for seven years, and the situation eventually developed into being an unwitting accessory to murder, during which again, I pledged my loyalty to said ex wife
Stupidest character in television I tell you

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

One thing that bugs me, and I'm 99% sure Frasier is guilty of this, is when speakers of British English are written to say the word fanny when they should be saying bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

One thing that bugs me, and I'm 99% sure Frasier is guilty of this, is when speakers of British English are written to say the word fanny when they should be saying bottom.

This makes me laugh more than it bugs me

An easy way to remember:

Up the fanny, your mum's a granny
Up the bum, no harm done