Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's reckless, but I really depended on the independently-owned shops to give me easy passing grades, back when I didn't have a lot of money. (Still don't.)

My trusted transportation, a 1994 bike with an engine coated in grit and oil film, would definitely not pass that Swiss inspection...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
That reminds me my NY inspection is due. The place near me basically checks lights and tire depth and is done in less than 5 minutes. Basically up to the owner to make sure the bike is legit in NY.

Also reminds me my Miata failed for tinted side windows... I mean cmon its a convertible who gives a poo poo, they are basically down always unless it rains and I bought the car like that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

NY's inspection and registration scheme in general is pretty awful, it was a constant headache when I lived there, the "all bike registrations expire May 1st" with no prorating if, say you'd like to ride the bike you bought April 18th, you need to register it for the full yearly price, and then register it again 12 days later.

Also, hope your concussed, bleeding out the face rear end remembers to pull the plates from your totalled Mustang, or we're suspending your license once insurance owns the car.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When I bought my bike last year, the PO got it street legal and had paperwork of being inspected with a passing grade. I got it titled and licensed without any additional inspection which I assumed would be necessary during the change of ownership. Good thing because it doesn't have a horn or mirrors and the brake switch wire broke off. But it cost me something like $270 for tax, title transfer, plates/registration, and orv stickers for an 07 wr250.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
I went to my local Harley Davidson franchise to buy chain lube because the auto parts stores near me do not carry it and the competitors are closed on Sundays (because they hate freedom). I rode in on my Honda Monkey and the looks I got turned my penis inside out. At least I can grease up my new sex part with my Harley Davidson brand chain lube.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Discount Dracula posted:

I went to my local Harley Davidson franchise to buy chain lube because the auto parts stores near me do not carry it and the competitors are closed on Sundays (because they hate freedom). I rode in on my Honda Monkey and the looks I got turned my penis inside out. At least I can grease up my new sex part with my Harley Davidson brand chain lube.

You can buy DuPont teflon chain lube at any big box hardware store. It works just fine and no one's gonna give you stinkeye for daring to show up on a non-'murican ride or not wearing the requisite amount of bar-and-shield-branded flair.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also the dupont teflon is legit the best poo poo. gently caress using anything else.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jazzzzz posted:

You can buy DuPont teflon chain lube at any big box hardware store. It works just fine.

Very good to know. Thanks.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
My first inspection in Maine went like this:

Guy walks out of the shop as I park and shut the bike off.

“Hey, you here for a sticker?”
Yup
“Cool, is that a Suzuki Savage?”
Yup
“Nice bikes, my wife used to have one. Give me your registration and I’ll be right back with your sticker.”

Didn’t have me turn it on, much less check anything.

Thread content:
Rebuilt a pair of front brake calipers for a new-to-me FZ6. They’d clearly never been cleaned in 28k miles and at one point had been hit with some gross blue spray paint.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Didn't do much to my bike but I bought a bike stand which beats using a cinder block or bucket.

Also removed a few small trees and cleared some brush in my urban Seattle double lot yard so that I have enough room to do laps. I mostly practice low speed stuff like balance, figure 8s, full lock turns, standing etc. To my surprise, my dog tears up the grass running laps more than I do. I'm sure my neighbors are super pumped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

moxieman posted:

My first inspection in Maine went like this:

Guy walks out of the shop as I park and shut the bike off.

“Hey, you here for a sticker?”
Yup
“Cool, is that a Suzuki Savage?”
Yup
“Nice bikes, my wife used to have one. Give me your registration and I’ll be right back with your sticker.”

Didn’t have me turn it on, much less check anything.

Thread content:
Rebuilt a pair of front brake calipers for a new-to-me FZ6. They’d clearly never been cleaned in 28k miles and at one point had been hit with some gross blue spray paint.

That's pmuch how bike inspections in VA go except they also fail you for blinkers but that's about it.
We didn't even have a state inspector at our shop. We'd just wheel it across the street to the car repair place and they'd slap a sticker on it, then we'd ride it back and give it a good once-over and give the customer back their bike with a list of poo poo that should probably be addressed.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I decided it was time for my annual washing of the wheels, then realized once it was all dry I missed a 4" section of my rear wheel. Good thing my wheels are grey anyway

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I bit off more than I could chew today, I need to get this bike ready for racing this weekend, and today's my only freeish afternoon this week.

Started off with a light coat of universal solvent to knock all the big chunks of mud off.

Placed it in the factory-directed "service position"

The tool kit and manual that come with this bike are pretty awesome tbh.

For a dirtbike with the minimal poo poo needed to be DOT legal haphazardly slapped on it was kind annoying to remove the DOT empenage, the brake light is easily removed, but the turn signals have to be disconnected at the signals, and routed back to the battery compartment, I applied some self amalgamating tape to keep the big chunks of water and poo poo out, then neatly ziptied it to the battery retainer.

Bike ended up pretty torn apart at some points

The rear disk guard I have only fits Brembo rear brakes, and is just barely too small for the Maguro brakes mine comes with, I started modifying them with the ol' angle grinder, but thought it's a new bike, everything is going to be done right, and 100% by the book, so I left it off for now.

HUUUUURRRR *CLICK*

More by-the-book maintenance let me pull the OEM spring off

And install a fatter Racetech number for my fatter rear end

I started running against the clock and getting frustrated here, the axle spacers from the front wheel, which came off a KTM, and I had no guarantees at that they'd work, so I had to hammer them out and replace them with the ones from the OEM wheels, but the kid that I bought these from apparently thought lube was for old people, and they're corroded to the bearing races, I had to pretty much destroy them to extract them, and more good news, one of the bearings (with corroded to poo poo race) is getting notchy, I don't have time to swap tires at this point so I packed it full of moly grease, and I will deal with the consequences later, it's probably good for a race weekend.
Old axle spacer:

The brake disk spacing is also a little different, I couldn't find my box o' random loving metric hardware, so I dug out the box with the truly bizarre amount of "bonus" hardware that came with my Givi rack, I found a couple nicely powder coated pieces of exactly the right thickness for spacers, not ideal, but I don't use a ton of front brake off-road and it should work, when I get myself a mill I'll make something better.

Got the fucker back together with just enough daylight to do a couple shake down runs on the property and pack my poo poo up, I was going to put my giant sprocket on and go +3 in the rear, but I changed my mind and kept the +1 sprocket that came with the wheel, and I'm happy with it, it makes the gearing perfect to tank around in first gear with barely any clutch, while leaving second usable from a roll onwards, and with the suspension sorted and adjusted for my weight it's just loving perfect, everything I could want, it tanks right up the 30°gorge slope on my property with no drama whatsoever, bumps are almost unnoticeable, I can't wait to take it out and really open 'er up.

I still need to torch the hand guard bars to fit perfect, install the front disk guard, and I had meant to give it a proper wash, but I ran short on time, I'll squeeze it in later this week.

Bonus: here's a brain-twister, the instrument cluster has stopped working, after a little digging I'm 99% sure I know why, and it's not something I would normally think of, does anyone want to hazard a guess? It's related to one of the things I did today.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

WAG: It's dependent on the resistance through the tail light somehow?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The spacer on the front brake took the sensor too far from the disc?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Looks like a standard pain in the rear end afternoon of working on bieks. Sucks the new wheels gave you so much trouble, but glad you got it back together in time for the weekend (PS get on that TIMG tag)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

Looks like a standard pain in the rear end afternoon of working on bieks. Sucks the new wheels gave you so much trouble, but glad you got it back together in time for the weekend (PS get on that TIMG tag)

Yeah, this is one of the better descriptions of what working on bieks is actually like. Particularly before a race.

Speaking of which, what're you racing it in? An enduro? Let us know how that goes!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Bonus: here's a brain-twister, the instrument cluster has stopped working, after a little digging I'm 99% sure I know why, and it's not something I would normally think of, does anyone want to hazard a guess? It's related to one of the things I did today.

you sprayed it full of water in the first picture

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drz's dash cluster went blank after i hosed it down-- just let it dry. mine came back after sitting in the sun for a day

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

pun pundit posted:

WAG: It's dependent on the resistance through the tail light somehow?

This was my first guess.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The spacer on the front brake took the sensor too far from the disc?

Pretty much dead nuts on, you would've saved me hours of digging through wiring, if I hadn't randomly found a Warp 9 magnet on Rocky Mountain, which prompted me to look at the stock and new rotors.
Enter maintenance position II

My first plan was to swap rotors, when I lined these up to take this shot, I noticed that the rotor in the new wheel has a vane with a little cutout to accept the magnet, so I removed the magnet to put in the new rotor, of course it's held in with a circlip, which promptly hosed off, presumably into orbit. So a panic run to O'Reilly's and $Texas later, I got a pair of proper circlip pliers, and a kit with a surprisingly perfect new clip.

Works!

Jazzzzz posted:

Thanks! Sorry about that, I exclusively use the app, so I assumed this was a fixed problem on the OG forum too.

builds character posted:

Yeah, this is one of the better descriptions of what working on bieks is actually like. Particularly before a race.

Speaking of which, what're you racing it in? An enduro? Let us know how that goes!

Back-to-back harescrambles, Eddiesville and Starvation Ridge, I've been slogging a ton of single track (unsuccessfully), so it's going to be nice to really open the bike up, based on the weather I'll be sure to post pictures of lots and lots and infinite lots of mud. My last, and first, race was a DNF thanks to my carb float pissing half my gas away on the track, but I've set a couple lofty goals for this weekend. A) finish both races B) come in any position besides last in either of those races.

Sagebrush posted:

you sprayed it full of water in the first picture

It's a dirtbike in the PNW, I got mud on the top of my helmet last time I went out, if water killed the cluster I'd never have any indication :cheeky:

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Going to drag race on Saturday for fun, and noticed my chain was grungy, so...

Installed front & rear sprockets and new chain. First experience doing so with motley assortment of non-task-specific tools such as a chain breaker or riveter.

I feel like a modern day MacGyver. Hopefully a MacGyver who's chain don't come apart at 200 km/h.

Riveted / peened using a lot of patience, a hammer and various punch tools.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Everyone who wanted work from me this week changed their mind, so I got to do my "wants" on the bike, mostly torching and bending the hand guards into shape, because I'm a cheap gently caress and won't spring for one of the 50 awesome aftermarket solutions designed for this specific bike, I think it turned out pretty good!

Before:
]

After:

I also gave it a proper bath, I actually really like the KTM orange hubs on the new wheels, I think they're a nice contrast.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tusk sells a set of handguard connectors that swivel if you decide to spend more money in that area. They’re not too bad, ~$15, maybe?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm permanently put off the swiveling ones after I gently backed into my KDX the morning after I installed them, and the poorly cast swivel joint snapped off from a static drop onto asphalt, they're just not robust enough

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Elviscat posted:

I'm permanently put off the swiveling ones after I gently backed into my KDX the morning after I installed them, and the poorly cast swivel joint snapped off from a static drop onto asphalt, they're just not robust enough

poo poo, that’s good to know, they’re on my list. The Tusk ones?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

poo poo, that’s good to know, they’re on my list. The Tusk ones?

these ones? Those look a lot better than the Polisport ones I had that only have a tiny sliver of aluminum right at the bolt that forms the swivel. Bending the bars is still pretty easy if you have a pair of vice grips and a torch, and I like how it turned out with the ridgid bar mounts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, that's them. I just used a vise and hammer on the ones on my DR350 and it worked great. I have tapered bars on the DR350 though, so have to get adapters, and the Tusk ones are the most affordable but their swiveling ones are the only 1" option.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 4, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

puberty worked me over posted:

Destroyed most of the cutting board today doing some rock gardens. The flaps (or the area not directly backed up by the case) I put on it were too wide and it may work far better if it's the same width as the case. That said its addicting how well it slides over rocks and logs it may be worth just replacing them as they break.

If a $5 cutting board works so damned well as a sump guard I'm kinda surprised there isn't someone out there molding bike specific kits out of the stuff, or making generic ones with mounting kits, or at the very least making "slider" plates that you could bolt to a metal pan. The internet says HDPE is easily recycled.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 4, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

finally washed it after a couple camping trips out in the woods over the past couple weekends :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Remember to turn the key to "off" on your fancy Austrian Swedish dirt bike before you transport it home kids, otherwise this happens. I guess it's from the fuel pump cycling on and off? (The headlight turns off automatically a few seconds after the kill switch is taken to off)

I hope it's recoverable, the fancy LiOn compatible battery charger I just bought says it's working. I don't really want to pay a $120 idiot tax this soon.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Remember to turn the key to "off" on your fancy Austrian Swedish dirt bike before you transport it home kids, otherwise this happens. I guess it's from the fuel pump cycling on and off? (The headlight turns off automatically a few seconds after the kill switch is taken to off)

I hope it's recoverable, the fancy LiOn compatible battery charger I just bought says it's working. I don't really want to pay a $120 idiot tax this soon.

Lithium batteries are more tolerant of being discharged and good ones usually have a built in protection circuit to keep them from being permanently hosed by completely draining them.

Does that battery have a balance charging port on it, or just the regular terminals?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, little research tells me 8v is about the cutoff for completely dead, I figured this out when I tried to fire up the bike, and nothing happened, so I'm assuming the bike has under voltage protection, there's no balance port and the charging instructions on the battery mention nothing about it, so I'm also assuming (hoping) that it's internally regulated/balanced.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, little research tells me 8v is about the cutoff for completely dead, I figured this out when I tried to fire up the bike, and nothing happened, so I'm assuming the bike has under voltage protection, there's no balance port and the charging instructions on the battery mention nothing about it, so I'm also assuming (hoping) that it's internally regulated/balanced.

If you do mess up, earthx or antigravity definitely have the anti-discharge QuickStart feature. I prefer earthx because they have a 2 year full replacement warranty.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I made a non-touring bike into a touring-ish bike:(click for big)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a tiny little touring bike.

I like it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fortunately my battery charged right back up.

I was so happy I left a giant poo poo stain in the driveway.

I also washed my gear.

This is the residue from the egregiously sticky number tapes tapes this weekend, any ideas on a good method to remove this that won't damage the PP fairings?

I took the chance to install much needed bar risers, I wanted to take the bike for a spin with these installed, but my bike wouldn't start, I immediately feared for my battery, but I saw something white flopping around in the pile of Austrian Spaghetti behind the headlight mask, turns out the engine start button is the one control that's too short to work with 30mm risers, in the picture I'm holding the connector from the switch, and touching its intended receptacle with my middle finger.

I took the easy way out and just moved the switch inboard until it was long enough, someone makes a nice integrated stop/start switch with OEM connectors I'll pick up next time I need to get to $75 on Rocky Mountain.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Rubbing alcohol should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Kerosene, goo gone, heat