Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

rchandra posted:

Just to make sure on the cheating part - in a 2p game, explorer + town + city = 3 fear. In a 3p game, it would be 2 fear.

You mean energy right? Fear for that would be the regular amount for destroying: 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

You mean energy right? Fear for that would be the regular amount for destroying: 5.

Explorer (0) + Town (1) + City (2) is 3 fear.

----------

For Ocean, you convert drowned invaders to energy at a rate of 1 energy for every X Invader HP, where X = number of Spirits in the game.

So in a 4 player game, a drowned City + Explorer would redeem for exactly 1 energy.

In a 1 player game, a drowned City + Explorer would equal 4 energy.

You can definitely end up with surplus energy as Ocean, depends on what power cards you've acquired and are using.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

You should be able to get a non-deluxe Brass for that price.

Yeah Brass was my thought too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just remembered how cheap Wir Sind Das Volk is, too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I just remembered how cheap Wir Sind Das Volk is, too.

Whoa, I didn't know how cheap that was. Bought on theme and goonbuzz alone!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Worth worth that WSDV is a 2-player game, and a 4-player game with the expansion.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

garthoneeye posted:

My understanding is that the expansion also rebalances the various strategies. Base Great Western Trail is believed to have very ordered strategies in terms of win chance.

I’ve only played it once so I can’t speak to it balancing things but when we played before a lot of the games were a race to build the highest value deck and hand to deliver to San Francisco as many times as possible. The expansion changes that a lot because San Francisco is now gone from that spot and I believe all the delivery spots can only have one of each players disks now. You also have to build rail connections between cities to be able to deliver to them on the new board.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rad Valtar posted:

I’ve only played it once so I can’t speak to it balancing things but when we played before a lot of the games were a race to build the highest value deck and hand to deliver to San Francisco as many times as possible. The expansion changes that a lot because San Francisco is now gone from that spot and I believe all the delivery spots can only have one of each players disks now. You also have to build rail connections between cities to be able to deliver to them on the new board.

...couldn't each spot only have one delivery before?

E: oh right, the last one had no limit.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bit of a shame for Founders to be down there. Perfectly decent game.

Ignacy games can burn tho.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I got roped into a game of Deadpool vs The World today. It's another of the infinite clones of Apples to Apples, leaning more towards CAH as it encourages scatological humour. However, all the answers are write-ins so it winds up being exactly as dirty as you want it to be and there's no "no brainer" answers. I don't think I'd want to play it again, but it killed 20 minutes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dancer posted:

Bit of a shame for Founders to be down there. Perfectly decent game.

Ignacy games can burn tho.

just curious why

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

just curious why

I will admit that the reasons I can personally attest to aren't as thorough as would be necessary to rightfully and justifiably write off the author's entire work, but
a) he was given the chance to improve his game after receiving play-testing and advice straight from Vlaada (PBUH), but then he proceded to ignore the advice entirely (while writing lovely Zen-like blogposts about it).
b) Robinson Crusoe (only game of his I actually played) is an awful mess of RNG and inelegant systems with too many crappy tokens and pieces, and it doesn't help that it has (non-hyperbolically) the worst rule-book I have ever encountered. I was even persuaded to give it a second chance, and the second time around we still spent what felt like more than a quarter of the time just figuring out rules. On a personal level I am also fundamentally bothered by the fact that it is functionally not actually a co-op game, but single player. There is perfect information sharing, no time-pressure, and no other limitations that might make the players functionally different. It is just single player with decisions by committee.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Like, I can not emphasize enough how much I was put off by RC. The game is so bad it made me angry. A bland generic light resource collection thing with dice chucking would've been a massive improvement; RC was actively offensive.

Numerous terrible design decisions, massive RNG that you can technically usually avoid, but you can't if you want any hope of actually achieving your objectives, and active anti-rubberbanding measures so if you start losing you just lose more. The latter could work in a game with some rising tension narrative, where things get harder as you get closer to reaching your objective or something, but in this game the two are just disconnected.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And as for the afore-mentioned Vlaada advice:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13091/are-you-designing-game-you-better-have-vlaada-chva

Note that all of the problems Ignacy mentions there, that Vlaada has actively advised him how to solve are still in the game, and I think are also still in First Martians.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
51st State: Master Set is genuinely awesome though. Of course, he over-egged the pudding in his alterations of it for Imperial Settlers, which is worse in every possible way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dancer posted:

And as for the afore-mentioned Vlaada advice:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/13091/are-you-designing-game-you-better-have-vlaada-chva

Note that all of the problems Ignacy mentions there, that Vlaada has actively advised him how to solve are still in the game, and I think are also still in First Martians.

Here's part 2 of that.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I presume you guys don't speak Polish because if you did you'd hear Ignacy Trzewiczek (and his wife's) podcasts on political correctnes after GMT cancelled that stupid game of theirs. Dude doesn't have a clue what PC culture actually is or why people were uncomfortable with the concept of that game (one dude in the chat said something like 'if we cancel Scramble for Africa why shouldn't a game like Narcos be canceled, too?' and he agreed with him), he mainly talked about PC in terms of censorship. Then there was the actual podcast (2pionki) where his wife said that the colonization of Africa was basically a war, and there are lots of war games published by GMT so it's weird they decided against this one.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Terminally Bored posted:

I presume you guys don't speak Polish because if you did you'd hear Ignacy Trzewiczek (and his wife's) podcasts on political correctnes after GMT cancelled that stupid game of theirs. Dude doesn't have a clue what PC culture actually is or why people were uncomfortable with the concept of that game (one dude in the chat said something like 'if we cancel Scramble for Africa why shouldn't a game like Narcos be canceled, too?' and he agreed with him), he mainly talked about PC in terms of censorship. Then there was the actual podcast (2pionki) where his wife said that the colonization of Africa was basically a war, and there are lots of war games published by GMT so it's weird they decided against this one.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Terminally Bored posted:

I don't think it was his game. He may have been just commenting on the situation.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yeah, should've made it clearer. Trzewiczek has a weekly audio-only podcast and bimonthly video stream, in both of these he comments on gaming news, his own games and other stuff. Last month the topics for two of his shows (the audio one and the stream) was pc culture in games and the question of censorship.

It was disappointing because he came off as really uninformed on what pc actually is and the chat was full of racist remarks (but maybe that's just how youtube is). He also said that pc culture is a 'western trend', American idea. Not to mention he didn't even touch on the fact that the GMT game had a terrible theme that wasn't connected to the mechanics at all. I expected way more from an internationally respected game designer, he shouldn't have touched that subject at all with the little research he had done.

His wife appeared on the audio podcast and said some really stupid things about the colonization of Africa. I emailed them after that show and she replied with 'pc can mean many things to many people'.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I've heard Ignacy on other podcasts and without fail he'll be like "my ideas are just like loving awesome and so loving awesome and dark it'd blow everyone's loving minds but if I made one with even a fraction of the loving poo poo in my head I would be cast out of the industry *sulk*"

Edit: I think that also applies to him not translating any of the older neuroshima rpg stuff from polish.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

hoiyes posted:

"my ideas are just like loving awesome and so loving awesome and dark it'd blow everyone's loving minds but if I made one with even a fraction of the loving poo poo in my head I would be cast out of the industry *sulk*"

Edge Lord confirmed. Is he in high school?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Why is the concept of respecting everyone regardless of race, gender, or sexual preference so hard for people? It’s supposed to be ok for Europeans to go into Africa and rape it and then for a game to be made that rewards this behavior??

:cmon:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also Polish designer moron with wife, it’s not censorship unless a government stops the publication. GMT was free to publish that game. They made a business decision not to publish it. End of story.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 12, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Why is the concept of respecting everyone regardless of race, gender, or sexual preference so hard for people? It’s supposed to be ok for Europeans to go into Africa and rape it and then for a game to be made that rewards this behavior??

:cmon:

I mean, despite not having our history with slavery in the same way, Europe on the whole is super goddamn racist.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Do we have a game design thread anywhere? Or how to build a board game?

Or can anyone reccomend some good materials of making board games?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Do we have a game design thread anywhere? Or how to build a board game?

Or can anyone reccomend some good materials of making board games?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518654

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stupid hilarious idea: Fake Artist but legos, you get to put one brick down.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Stupid hilarious idea: Fake Artist but legos, you get to put one brick down.

We tried it, with 3 bricks per person, and it was pretty awful. Both less interesting, and much slower. Maybe with some practice it might work.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dancer posted:

We tried it, with 3 bricks per person, and it was pretty awful. Both less interesting, and much slower. Maybe with some practice it might work.

Aw, too bad. This was fueled by my 4 year old handing me a few pieces and telling me to build something, and repeating that so that my end result was horrible and looked like nothing.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Played some 18EB today which is basically fantasy themed 18xx. I had no idea what to expect and it was actually a pretty good 18xx. It has some similarities to 1822 with the private companies that need to be rescued by the majors eventually(unless you can build a super-private which on guy did).

It's not commercially available but if you do get a chance to play it it's good fun.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How was the map exploding gimmick? Did it factor at all into the endgame?

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’ve been working on introducing new games to a friend of mine for awhile, and I’m having a bit of trouble pinning-down his preferences.

Can’t Stop
Hanabi
Deep Sea Adventure
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

were hits, with plenty of “one more?” suggestions.

Catan
Pack-of-Games Bus
Railroad Ink

bounced off. He seems to not like...maps/moving around the game board?

Anyway, any suggestions? I’ve really only introduced lighter games like these, but that seems where he’s comfortable. Nice if the game will scale, but should be playable at 2.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Now Pictomania with a full table of LEGO bits and minifigs would be great. Everyone digging and reaching Galaxy Trucker style :getin:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I’ve been working on introducing new games to a friend of mine for awhile, and I’m having a bit of trouble pinning-down his preferences.

Can’t Stop
Hanabi
Deep Sea Adventure
Sushi Go
Lost Cities

were hits, with plenty of “one more?” suggestions.

Catan
Pack-of-Games Bus
Railroad Ink

bounced off. He seems to not like...maps/moving around the game board?

Anyway, any suggestions? I’ve really only introduced lighter games like these, but that seems where he’s comfortable. Nice if the game will scale, but should be playable at 2.

Well, they(much less so Sushi Go) have some major push-your-luck and risk-taking elements. Consider your options, make a bold move, deal with the fallout, sort of thing.

Diamant is the king of press your luck games with my group, but doesn't play with two.
Jaipur is a definite possibility.
Biblios has some aspects of that, as well as the drafting from Sushi Go, and would be a good way of turning him on to auction mechanisms.
Battle Line/Schotten Totten might be too similar to Lost Cities, but it has a bit more going on. Ditto for Lost Cities Rivals.
I'll even recommend Roll for the Galaxy, if you want to try him on something more mid-weight, it's way easier to learn than Race for the Galaxy.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dancer posted:

I will admit that the reasons I can personally attest to aren't as thorough as would be necessary to rightfully and justifiably write off the author's entire work, but
a) he was given the chance to improve his game after receiving play-testing and advice straight from Vlaada (PBUH), but then he proceded to ignore the advice entirely (while writing lovely Zen-like blogposts about it).
b) Robinson Crusoe (only game of his I actually played) is an awful mess of RNG and inelegant systems with too many crappy tokens and pieces, and it doesn't help that it has (non-hyperbolically) the worst rule-book I have ever encountered. I was even persuaded to give it a second chance, and the second time around we still spent what felt like more than a quarter of the time just figuring out rules. On a personal level I am also fundamentally bothered by the fact that it is functionally not actually a co-op game, but single player. There is perfect information sharing, no time-pressure, and no other limitations that might make the players functionally different. It is just single player with decisions by committee.

I'm not gonna disagree with any of this, but I actually really like RC, and just thought I'd put out there a counter-viewpoint. I like that it's kinda terrifying, and it feels insurmountable a lot of the time, so when you do succeed it actually feels great. The game could be better and handle it / provide that experience in much better ways, but there isn't really anything else out there I've found that creates that same experience quite as well. I quite like the decisions by committee thing, because our playgroup are quite chatty and forward, so its sorta like playing Werewolf where you talk to each other a lot, and banter about and stuff, the lightest of light roleplaying element of pretending you're all actually dying on this island that seems to hate you is quite fun, but I don't for one second think that's a point in the favor of the design of the game, and more just that I've enjoyed patching over it's flaws with my friends. But I don't think you can entirely overlook that sort of ... I don't wanna say emergent, but 'game play experience'? (eugh...) stuff either? Like Spirit Island is a much much better game, but at no point during it does everyone faux-yell at Sam for eating poison AGAIN! Or anything of that ilk, because they're too busy solving the logic puzzle.

The rulebook is beyond bad though.

Unrelated, has anyone played Hellboy? I'm a huge fan of the comics, have basically all of Mignola's back catalog, but couldn't bring myself to kick-start it, because it just seemed SUCH a misfire. "Pledge now and get 100 minis!" - Like as if a HORDE of the same minis is at all conducive to the authentic Hellboy experience?! A card called "Hellboy's Gun" with no mention of it actually having a name; "The Samaritan", it all just struck me as a horrible cash grab that I was going to be disappointed with, and that none of my friends would want to play, and that I'd have been suckered in for being a Hellboy fan. Then the game finally got released to fairly positive ish reviews, but all I've seen were from people who's opinion I couldn't entirely trust for one reason or another. And the consensus seemed to be 'its good but you probably wont play it much' which seemed ... weird? Now that it's sitting on the shelf at my FLGS I'm wondering if maybe it's actually just 'pretty good' and that I've missed out on going all in on a 'pretty good' boardgame of my favourite IP?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some people were setting up to play Hellboy on Saturday, but the guy who brought it had refrained from punching it or reading the rules beforehand so I didn't see it in action. I thought the same as you about the Hellboy's Gun card, and what I saw of the rest didn't make me feel like it was much more than "we had a game, then we got a license to screw onto it".

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

Some people were setting up to play Hellboy on Saturday, but the guy who brought it had refrained from punching it or reading the rules beforehand so I didn't see it in action. I thought the same as you about the Hellboy's Gun card, and what I saw of the rest didn't make me feel like it was much more than "we had a game, then we got a license to screw onto it".

Yeah, that's exactly it. It seemed so soulless, but it looks like all the kind of 'fan service' stuff that you'd want if you're into it is all in the kickstarter exclusive bits. So, I think, if I picked it up I'd want those extras, but then that's double the price for a game that might not be that good, and that's just so much... STUFF. I can't imagine I'd ever play all the way through that much campaign without a dedicated group, but can't imagine a dedicated group not getting bored of it well before we finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

Cool, they had a game? That puts it above a lot of KS fig-bonanzas.