Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This is the 4th thread I posted this in, but there needs to be an audio track of the movie where Pikachu only says Pika Pika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also, a cut where every line of dialogue from Pikachu is bleeped out

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

We know Reynolds recorded a lot of R -rated dialog that was never intended to be used, I'm hoping it ends up leaking at some point.

Let Pikachu say 'gently caress' Nintendo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Silver Falcon posted:

Just got back from Detective Pikachu. Oh my god so loving good. :swoon: It was exactly what I wanted!

I immediately went and downloaded the game, as well, because I need more Det. Pikachu in my life right now!

The movie spoils aspects of the game that have not been revealed in the game's story yet, and everything is completely different in regards to setting. It was actually a little frustrating to see them omit a lot of the neater details from the game, but I get that compressing it all into a two hour film is a task.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1127741648257949696

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/otaviocoati/status/1127740539586084864

We need the game where Pokemon take over as the dominant race.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Practically every time I picked someone off the passersby to fight in XY, their team was 5/6 Pokémon the game hands to you. Starter, Lucario, other starter, I forget the other two but they were just gifts. The box legend might have been one. That game handed you too much poo poo, it short circuited the brains of thousands of kids who played it and they never made a real choice about their team.

E: I think the sixth was A Bird To Use Fly

Dabir fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 13, 2019

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dabir posted:

Practically every time I picked someone off the passersby to fight in XY, their team was 5/6 Pokémon the game hands to you. Starter, Lucario, other starter, I forget the other two but they were just gifts. The box legend might have been one. That game handed you too much poo poo, it short circuited the brains of thousands of kids who played it and they never made a real choice about their team.

I assume everybody itt has seen it, but in case anybody hasn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StruwFQWyY

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Dabir posted:

E: I think the sixth was A Bird To Use Fly

They also hand you the Fossil, the Legendary, plus possibly a Lapras.

Last playthrough I just took the two starters (and technically Xerneas, otherwise the plot couldn't progress). Sorry Lucario, both Gardevoir and Aegislash are way cooler than you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what was behind the decision to not let you overwrite useless HM moves. god I hope they don’t bring HMs back (they will)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Only bring back Surf, because every Water-type essentially suffers without it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
X&Y had an amazing set of new Pokemon despite the small number of them. But the game seems determined to have you use old ones. The route 1 bird and varmint are buried beneath the route 1 birds and varmints of every previous gen. As said above the game gives you all these previous gen freebies like Lucario and a gen 1 starter. I always use exclusively new dudes unless it's a replay, and I had to practically make a spreadsheet to find where they were buried in the enormous encounter pools.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

what was behind the decision to not let you overwrite useless HM moves. god I hope they don’t bring HMs back (they will)

It's a fail-safe so the players can't get themselves stuck by erasing a move they need.

It's a very...inelegant solution to that issue, but it's what they went with, making sure you can't ever release or trade a Pokemon with a HM move nor delete said HM move, so you can't ever be stuck except in that one incredibly specific situation with the Finneon trade.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

galagazombie posted:

X&Y had an amazing set of new Pokemon despite the small number of them. But the game seems determined to have you use old ones. The route 1 bird and varmint are buried beneath the route 1 birds and varmints of every previous gen. As said above the game gives you all these previous gen freebies like Lucario and a gen 1 starter. I always use exclusively new dudes unless it's a replay, and I had to practically make a spreadsheet to find where they were buried in the enormous encounter pools.

I could not find a loving Dedenne in the wild. My friend had to trade me one.

I also like to only use new mons, but there were a bunch I didn’t even see until I beat the game, like Pumpkaboo or Phantump.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Funky Valentine posted:

Surf is kind of outdated at this point.

Scald and Liquidation are options now, and you could argue for Aqua Tail or even Waterfall depending on the Pokemon. Even Greninja tends to run Hydro Pump or Water Shuriken, depending on the build.

Surf is still a good move but Water types have actual choices in their movesets now.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I guess the main reason why Kalos was practically stuffed with monsters from previous gens was to contrast with Unova having nothing but new monsters in its main campaign (although that only applies to Black and White and the sequel games had a mix of both). They probably also wanted to do a "soft reboot" and have Gen 6 be a good entry point for players new to the series. One way was to showcase older monsters from previous games. To cap it off, they also have many that utilize the game's fancy new mechanic, Mega Evolution.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Funky Valentine posted:

They don't need to bring back the garbage HM mechanic for Surf to exist, it and Waterfall are TMs in Gen 7 they've been infinite use for a while.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Ditto knew how to send text messages.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Blaze Dragon posted:

so you can't ever be stuck except in that one incredibly specific situation with the Finneon trade.

Can't you also get stuck in Sootopolis in RSE?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Funky Valentine posted:

Surf, waterfall, and all the other lesser worthless HM moves exist as TMs now.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Ditto knew how to send text messages.

Pretty sure it had some demon blood in there. That thing made Mewtwo look cuddly in comparison with how utterly ruthless and terrifying it was.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That dude sucked, yet the episode acted like it was perfectly okay for him to physically abuse his Pokemon and Ash was wrong and petty to have been upset by it or try to stop it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

For real. All his pokemon were 'loyal' only in the sense they had Stockholm Syndrome.

Ash, for once, was the only one acting reasonable in that episode.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

Thankfully Gamefreak seems to be sticking with the new HM-less system they’ve got since they kept it for Let’s Go.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Early pokemon was weird, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a really awful way.

Going by useless patterns, I think we are about 24 hours away from a video about Pokemon Sword Shield coming out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Probably sometime this week, yeah. They've always, ALWAYS, released lots of game information in May. Gamefreak is pretty consistent.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That dude sucked, yet the episode acted like it was perfectly okay for him to physically abuse his Pokemon and Ash was wrong and petty to have been upset by it or try to stop it.

Kinda feels like the logic they were trying to push in the manga about Norman's uh "parenting skills"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There was a lot of whips in the concept art for the original Pokémon games.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Open Marriage Night posted:

There was a lot of whips in the concept art for the original Pokémon games.

Even in Red/Blue/Green/Yellow. Ace Trainers (called COOLTRAINERs at the time) and Sabrina had whips. They were very swiftly removed (even faster than Game Corners and Gambler trainers) of course, though the guy who teaches Eevee special moves in Let's Go has one to go along with his circus lion tamer outfit.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i want to hear about pokemon bank switch with its powerful sorting tools

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

For real. All his pokemon were 'loyal' only in the sense they had Stockholm Syndrome.

Ash, for once, was the only one acting reasonable in that episode.

Early Pokémon had a nasty tendency to introduce rear end in a top hat characters of the day that caused the episode’s problem, but still blame Ash for it all when he dared react reasonably. Remember that samurai kid from the Buttefree episode? Yeah.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 13, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

You only get the Surf and Waterfall TMs after becoming Champion, mind. Though admittedly that's true of a lot of the gold-standard move TMs in Gen 7.

Arguably water types (especially special-focused ones) have been in a privileged position until now by the player getting access to a high-powered water move halfway through the game. And you know, equality feels like oppression to the privileged and all that.

Primarina gets Sparkling Aria at least, and many of the new water types get Liquidation, so there's that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Paul.Power posted:

You only get the Surf and Waterfall TMs after becoming Champion, mind. Though admittedly that's true of a lot of the gold-standard move TMs in Gen 7.

Arguably water types (especially special-focused ones) have been in a privileged position until now by the player getting access to a high-powered water move halfway through the game. And you know, equality feels like oppression to the privileged and all that.

Primarina gets Sparkling Aria at least, and many of the new water types get Liquidation, so there's that.

Scald is also stupidly early in regular SuMo and is a ridiculously good special water move. It was moved to late game in USUM though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 13, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Fair point, forgot about Scald, though it's not there in USUM

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Geostomp posted:

Early Pokémon had a nasty tendency to introduce rear end in a top hat characters of the day that caused the episode’s problem, but still blame Ash for it all when he dared react reasonably. Remember that samurai kid from the Buttefree episode? Yeah.

The original run of the Anime is essentially a group of unlikeable jerks meeting a series of other unlikeable jerks. Meanwhile Ash is constantly congratulated for refusing to play the game as intended in-between his aforementioned bouts of being blamed for other people being jerks.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The earliest iterations of Red and Green didn't really pin down the general sapience of Pokémon. They were more like animals that needed to be controlled through fear rather then trust (a few trainer sprites had them holding whips and even the beta Player character had one as well). Nowadays their general intelligence puts them in between "trained dog" to "adult chimpanzee" or "human child", making these earlier practices barbaric.

Also the early anime (including earlier drafts) was written so that the world was a very "crapsacky" one. People needlessly being jerks to Ash was part of it. Then you have other aspects like parental abandonment being common, poverty being a common social problem, and 10 being the age one is considered an adult (including all its various trappings).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bring back the whips and make them a major game mechanic. Let me buy whips, with different effects. Add a whipping button to the battle interface as well as the main menu.

Pokémon disobeys? Whip.
Misses? Whip.
Critical on a Pokémon I want to catch? Whip.
Out of PP? Whip on the enemy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bring back the whips and make them a major game mechanic. Let me buy whips, with different effects. Add a whipping button to the battle interface as well as the main menu.

Pokémon disobeys? Whip.
Misses? Whip.

It'll make your Pokemon dislike you so you'll actually be able to use Frustration and have it be a good 20PP gently caress-off move like Return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Pokémon disobeys? Whip.
Misses? Whip.

And all the whips are live Ekans