Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

And you can customize dude asses. More games need to let you customize dude asses. The key isn't to de-sexualize female characters, but to make dudes as sexualized as the ladies.

Kojima's new game needs more lovingly rendered man rear end, I agree. My sister was disappointed in MGSV because she assumed that being able to customize a soldier in a Kojima game meant that she'd be able create a male version of Quiet but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Latest favorite little thing in Yakuza 0 - by how much I beat someone at the most heinously criminal act of Disco Dancing :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Latest favorite little thing in Yakuza 0 - by how much I beat someone at the most heinously criminal act of Disco Dancing :v:

Maybe because I play it stoned, or because I suck at most rhythm games, but I can't even beat the karaoke or dancing. I Just straight suck, and it's a bit of sour grapes, but I just want to watch the videos, and the clapping and tambourine sounds distract from the scenes so much.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe because I play it stoned, or because I suck at most rhythm games, but I can't even beat the karaoke or dancing. I Just straight suck, and it's a bit of sour grapes, but I just want to watch the videos, and the clapping and tambourine sounds distract from the scenes so much.

The dancing is really tough for me, largely because the windows for hitting the buttons seem really specific in a way that doesn't feel very intuitive. The karaoke I'm pretty solid at, once I remembered where all the face buttons are; if you're like I was and playing on PC after mostly knowing the Playstation button layout, it really sucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

The dancing is really tough for me, largely because the windows for hitting the buttons seem really specific in a way that doesn't feel very intuitive. The karaoke I'm pretty solid at, once I remembered where all the face buttons are; if you're like I was and playing on PC after mostly knowing the Playstation button layout, it really sucks.

Dancing isn't about just hitting buttons at the right time. You want to use the time between button presses to try to rack up big long paths for bigger combos.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dancing isn't about just hitting buttons at the right time. You want to use the time between button presses to try to rack up big long paths for bigger combos.

That part's secondary though, so long as you hit the timings you'll usually win so it's better to primarily focus on that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I know that full well. I was doing a whole bunch of that, and then getting nothing because the button press itself has a VERY weird window.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even having "mastered" (not really) the Disco Dance mini-game, I gotta say I don't like it at all. Step-racking feels to me like it goes against the idea of a rhythm game, and the button press timing always feels kinda finicky and buttons I'd swear should have gone right go wrong. Also the various things going on regularly overload my eyes sorta, making it harder to keep track of the shrinking square. Karaoke feels a lot better for me, though sometimes I need to practice a song once first to get a feel for the speed each line will go.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah the dancing isn't good and is weirdly difficult

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The songs are great though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah even had the game given me trouble karaoke is worth it just for the music clips.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah even had the game given me trouble karaoke is worth it just for the music clips.

One thing I'll say about Yakuza Kiwami is I was so happy Everyone's Idol Goro was a thing :allears:. The developers knew exactly what everyone's favourite Karaoke track in Y0 was. The only bad part was trying to goddamn force him to spawn.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I guess I’m some kind of idiot savant because I’m not very good at video games in general but I love disco dancing in Y0 and while I had trouble at first it really clicked with me eventually. I’m really bummed it’s not in other games (although I guess they’d have to change the disco theme which is half the fun). Racking up a huge combo all around the board and then making it to the button at the exact instant before it disappears is a hell of a thrill, and all the music for it rules

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I recently invested in good headphones and holy poo poo everything sounds so much better now.

I'm playing Monster Hunter World again and I love how the Elder Dragons just give absolutely no shits about you. They know what they are and they have no fear

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Yakuza chat made me go back and listen to the soundtrack and lmao how did I not hear this totally not Let's Dance track https://youtu.be/-RhwmZFYiEI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the side quest in the original Yakuza where a guy is at the karaoke bar but embarrassed because he can't sing, and he asks you to prove to her that real men can't sing by deliberately screwing up the karaoke. That was funny.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleepy dogs also had a sidequest like that but you could ace the song anyway and ruin his day. I wonder if they were inspired by Yakuza.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sleepy dogs also had a sidequest like that but you could ace the song anyway and ruin his day. I wonder if they were inspired by Yakuza.

Actually I think I was thinking of Sleeping Dogs. Whoops. Got stuck on the original Yakuza due to that garbage highway railshooter level where there is literally no way to heal as you can't open the menu and it goes on for far too long.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Actually I think I was thinking of Sleeping Dogs. Whoops. Got stuck on the original Yakuza due to that garbage highway railshooter level where there is literally no way to heal as you can't open the menu and it goes on for far too long.

This is pretty much fixed in Kiwami 1 on PC. And by fixed, I mean you can now use a mouse and completely cheese it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I'll say about Yakuza Kiwami is I was so happy Everyone's Idol Goro was a thing :allears:. The developers knew exactly what everyone's favourite Karaoke track in Y0 was. The only bad part was trying to goddamn force him to spawn.

wait what did everyone's idol goro have to do with judgement

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

rodbeard posted:

Do those worms jingle jangle jingle?

No, but they keep hackin' and whackin' and smackin'.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm: When playing as Kiba, the dog Akamaru assists you in combo attacks and you can have your special attack be Akamaru pissing on your opponent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

wait what did everyone's idol goro have to do with judgement

He's out and about in his idol goro outfit as part of some of the random encounters and in a prompted encounter as well, I think.

It's one of the more rare outfits to find him in (it is a random chance every time he spawns), so most people run in and out of one restaurant and check for him over and over.

There's a dragon style XP point for defeating that version.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Got around to continuing on Strange Brigade after putting it down for a while (because I got engrossed in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass), just approaching the end of the penultimate level. There was a really cool unique trap to use to kill the enemies - a colossus statue that if you shot a button on it's chest it fired an explosive laser from it's eyes. That owned. Also due to how the levels are laid out you can sometimes see old or upcoming setpieces from different angles, and that's always nice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just wanted to post a cool thing that happened and gave me a real "woah" moment regarding graphics technology. I was playing The Division 2 but that doesn't really matter so much as the little thing itself: I was able to shoot at an enemy that I could not physically see because it was too dark in the room (no light sources), because I saw his shadow casting on the wall coming in my direction and it was such a well-defined shape that I could tell exactly what he was doing and where he was. It kind of blew my mind that graphics tech has come so far that I could tell exactly where the guy was without being able to see him as if I were actually in the room with him or something. I was able to employ something that I reasonably would have been able to do and would have done in such a situation in real life, without having to think of it in terms of "how do I find this guy within the confines of the video game's rules and limitations", and it was kind of shocking in a really fascinating way!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:34 on May 13, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i played through the pathologic 2 demo and the layers of metafiction in that story make it beautifully disorienting in a way you don't really see anywhere else

on one level it's a surreal story about a mysterious plague overtaking an eastern european town, but it's also a theatrical production about the nature of choice, will, and consequence, to the point where there's an entire type of NPC that acts as stagehands/chorus, dramatically perching around key scenery or posing on street corners unheeded by everyone and "acting" out people's inner thoughts or future events

the protagonists seem variously aware of and annoyed by all this while they try to go about their business, and absolutely everyone speaks in this infuriatingly elliptical mode of speech where any points they're making are buried in like three layers of metaphor and half the information they do give you is a lie

i don't know if i'll ever bother with the full release but i'm still happy it exists

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 02:58 on May 13, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i played through the pathologic 2 demo and the layers of metafiction in that story make it beautifully disorienting in a way you don't really see anywhere else

on one level it's a surreal story about a mysterious plague overtaking an eastern european town, but it's also a theatrical production about the nature of choice, will, and consequence, to the point where there's an entire type of NPC that acts as stagehands/chorus, dramatically perching around key scenery or posing on street corners unheeded by everyone and "acting" out people's inner thoughts or future events

the protagonists seem variously aware of and annoyed by all this while they try to go about their business, and absolutely everyone speaks in this infuriatingly elliptical mode of speech where any points they're making are buried in like three layers of metaphor and half the information they do give you is a lie

i don't know if i'll ever bother with the full release but i'm still happy it exists

That sounds utterly delightful.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

He's out and about in his idol goro outfit as part of some of the random encounters and in a prompted encounter as well, I think.

(...Goro from Mortal Kombat?)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Byzantine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTKLPK3L_g
Bear witness to the greatest two minutes of your life.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Byzantine posted:

Goro Majima, from Yakuza!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

New dream: Goro’s head on Goro’s body.

I don’t care which is which.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bussamove posted:

New dream: Goro’s head on Goro’s body.

I don’t care which is which.

"CAGE-CHAN! :stwoon:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"CAGE-CHAN! :stwoon:"

That seems more like Kano's head on Goro's body.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just beat Stick it to the Man, which was cute, although due to being pure comedy the asylum has some really reductive views of mental illness, but the writing really shined with the ending with the countdown. The robot is the main villain's mother's brain downloaded into a space station, and during a heated argument as tempers flare due to her showing embarrassing photos of the villain to her son's prisoners, after she mentions her death, he states that "Maybe you should just go ahead and do that then!" Then the mother decides to really passive-aggressively comply by setting off her self-destruct sequence. She has so0me great lines during the (fake, the time limit isn't an ingame thing) countdown, like "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0... respect is what I get around here!" and then right at the end it ends with

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 0.5. 0.4. 0.3. You know I don't think you really care about me. Maybe your just a jerk. 0.2, 0.1. Sometimes I wish I'd never been downloaded into this satellite... But you know, after all this, do you know how many regrets I have? Zero. *boom*"

I loved that moment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

:sigh:

also got one follower who's going to be very disappointed when my videos aren't all t'n'a

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTKLPK3L_g
Bear witness to the greatest two minutes of your life.

to put this in context, goro majima is half doing stuff like this and half of the time insanely brutally beating the poo poo out of people. You probably do this specific thing hundreds of times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdgu8A2dNVY&t=274s

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It really can’t be overstated how good the heat move animations are in Yakuza 0, and how much work they do to make the combat fun.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Wrestlepig posted:

to put this in context, goro majima is half doing stuff like this and half of the time insanely brutally beating the poo poo out of people. You probably do this specific thing hundreds of times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdgu8A2dNVY&t=274s

It's even better if 0 is your first Yakuza game and you have no idea about his Mad Dog persona (assuming you do the karaoke earlier than the last couple chapters), which fits in much more cleanly with that karaoke video. You really only see him in his tragic persona from the story and his Lord of the Night persona, mostly from side stories, which is more like hyper-professionalism and cool-headed badass. And then here comes 24-hour Cinderella.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

If I will be playing the Yakuza games through Steam, which one should I start with?

Start with 0. It's both the earliest chronologically and a fantastic entry point for the franchise. It's arguably the best game in the franchise overall in fact.