Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Its lighter then the wired version what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

After getting super fed up with it, I tore off the tiny-rear end keyboard tray, pushed my monitors back towards the rear and bought a Corsair MM300 mat that goes across the entire top of my desk. Never been happier.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

extremely ready to buy a couple of these whenever that is possible. I've been saying the 502 but wireless would be my perfect mouse for awhile, only using my 602 because my setup needs wireless.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Yep that's my next purchase too. I'm very satisfied with my wired one, but wireless would be nicer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rabid Snake posted:

Its lighter then the wired version what

Supposedly the internals are completely different.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

onesixtwo posted:

extremely ready to buy a couple of these whenever that is possible. I've been saying the 502 but wireless would be my perfect mouse for awhile, only using my 602 because my setup needs wireless.

Same here, gonna cringe at spending so much on a couple of mice, but I love my 502 and would love it even more if it was wireless.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
The wireless G502 is going to be $150 retail and uses a built-in rechargeable battery with a micro-USB charge cable. Bleh. I'll wait for a wireless MX518 with a user changeable battery.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
114g is still so heavy when your other $150 product is 80g. Oh well

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

spasticColon posted:

The wireless G502 is going to be $150 retail and uses a built-in rechargeable battery with a micro-USB charge cable. Bleh. I'll wait for a wireless MX518 with a user changeable battery.

That's why you use it with the Powerplay mat so you never have to bitch about plugging in and recharging ever again. :ssh:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I bought a 100$ mouse. My mouse history has been extensive. Lets see, going back to the early 2000's I went from the much hyped and doomed to failure razer boomslang to the Logitech 500 series. I used them up through 2016 when I went from the G500s to the G502. My thumb went right to where the button was and I had to cock it 90 degrees to accommodate the shape. After moving to a low sense I found the g502 too big and heavy and have since been on a quest to find the perfect mouse. I first went to the gpro, but the sides and the side buttons and shape too uncomfortable and then went to the G403 which has been the rock for me ever since. I have a hybrid palm claw grip with 18.5 x 9.5 hands and I've tried quite a few mice to find something lighter and smaller than the 403 but none have held up. Some notables, the Fk2 was too thin, and my stubby thumb was dragging on my mouse pad or was on the side buttons, it felt too flat. The EC2-B was a mess, too short, and the M1-2 felt really mooshy and had a double click where the side plastic clicked on the on the bottom side of the mouse. The razer mamba was way too wide and the steelseries rival 310 was way too long. Recently I tried the the G305 wireless to see if I could go back to the gpro shape and see if the sides improved. I found the buttons were much better but I still found the shape too small overall and the bowed out sides uncomfortable. Every review I've read raved about the Gpro wireless but I was scared off by the shape and price. Since It was usually compared to the FK2 I wasn't sure Id like it but I did like that the fk2 was less humpy. I read 2 reviews with hybrid claw palm guys that said they didnt like its shape. So I gave up and [ara corded my 403 and replaced the feet. Its been fine but the wheel ibroken now, So Id have to take it apart to see if I hosed it up or replace it. I was also thinking of trying a second mouse for windows so I could move my mouse to 800 dpi and 1600 for windows, but I said fuckit and bought a Gpro wireless. Shape feels good in windows so far and the weight is still less than my modded 403 which is crazy. I'm going to give it the run through shooters now. I miss the rubber sides though.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
A while back I randomly went into an electronics store and bought a mouse that looked ok (Logitech M720). It's apparently an office mouse and it works pretty decently. However, I'm noticing that if I drag the mouse too quickly while gaming it spazzes out.

However, one thing I LOVE about this mouse is that the entire thumb-catch area (where you grip the mouse) is a button, I use that for voice chat so I don't have to sacrifice my grip / aim / movement to be able to voice chat.

Does anyone know of any mouses that would have something like this (+ a few other side buttons) but also would get rid of my fast-movement problems? (I'm based in Europe btw).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The upcoming G502 Lightspeed is expensive as hell but definitely the closest.

IMO voice chat on mouse is just universally terrible and will always compromise your aim to an extent I find unacceptable, but a lot of people definitely disagree. If I had to pick a gaming mouse design to use voice chat on mouse, it would definitely be the 502 since it has a button that is relatively non-disruptive to grip.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm sorry my dude, but... loving.... which button is that?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The sniper button, I had an easy enough time rolling it on and off without messing with my whole grip. Like I said, IMO still poo poo, but I can't think of any mouse with an actual gaming sensor that has a less disruptive side button.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The only time I ever use the sniper button is when I'm working in Photoshop for work and need to mask out hair or something. Like I've never used it to snipe in an online FPS.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's just a DPI toggle though. You can set any button on your mouse to do the same thing in software. It's an alternative to cycling through multiple DPI steps.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atomizer posted:

It's just a DPI toggle though. You can set any button on your mouse to do the same thing in software. It's an alternative to cycling through multiple DPI steps.

Not quite true, the sniper button returns the DPI to normal when released which is behavior you can't replicate by mapping DPI toggling to another button (or at least, I was unable to a few months ago when I experimented with it).

I never used the sniper button on the G502 myself, it's simply set too far forward for my fingertip grip. Even the hidden gesture button on the M720 is outside my comfortable access area, my thumb rests right at the edge of it on the internal frame so I have to shift my thumb forward if I want to hit it. There doesn't seem to be any mouse intended for a pure fingertip grip style, it's all palm or claw placement. :sigh:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh, the equip knife button.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got a G203 Prodigy and while I am perfectly happy with it, I am wondering if I should upgrade to a newer/better mouse. Wireless would be nice, but my computer is close enough that a cord isn’t much of a hassle.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When you are wireless the cord has no effect on your mouse movements making them more precise and consistent. Wireless used to be heavier and the battery life was a hassle but thats been fixed with the current gen of lightweight wireless mice and charging mousepads. You can even run the full suite of rgb lights wireless since its always charging.

I dont really feel like cord length is a factor in deciding to go wireless when competitive gaming is concerned. If all you wanted was a longer cord surely you could just plug into a hub halfway

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 11, 2019

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I changed my G603's DPI button to that Windows function that displays all active windows in a grid (Winkey + Tab). Easier than alt-tab cycling.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

When you are wireless the cord has no effect on your mouse movements making them more precise and consistent. Wireless used to be heavier and the battery life was a hassle but thats been fixed with the current gen of lightweight wireless mice and charging mousepads. You can even run the full suite of rgb lights wireless since its always charging.

I dont really feel like cord length is a factor in deciding to go wireless when competitive gaming is concerned. If all you wanted was a longer cord surely you could just plug into a hub halfway

Appreciated, but I am not sure if I am willing to shell out extra for wireless, much less get the recharge mat too.

On the other hand I had thrown money at computer upgrades that turned out to be well worth it before, so I won’t rule it out completely.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you already have a good mouse, its not a big upgrade

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The frustrating thing is Logitech does know about USB-C because they've put it on the weird vertical version of the MX (but not the other versions yet)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Blowdryer posted:

A while back I randomly went into an electronics store and bought a mouse that looked ok (Logitech M720). It's apparently an office mouse and it works pretty decently. However, I'm noticing that if I drag the mouse too quickly while gaming it spazzes out.

However, one thing I LOVE about this mouse is that the entire thumb-catch area (where you grip the mouse) is a button, I use that for voice chat so I don't have to sacrifice my grip / aim / movement to be able to voice chat.

Does anyone know of any mouses that would have something like this (+ a few other side buttons) but also would get rid of my fast-movement problems? (I'm based in Europe btw).

MX Master. 50eur off Amazon Warehouse DE, has been cheaper.

But the Triathlon shouldn't have weird tracking problems.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 11, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My G602 is starting to double click in earnest, but unfortunately it's at least a year out of warranty. Newegg.ca has them in stock for $50 CDN, but I was wondering if there was anything similar I should be looking at instead. I'm mostly an MMO player these days.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

First step with any failing Logitech mouse that you still like is to contact Logitech, doesn't matter if it's out of warranty.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bieeanshee posted:

My G602 is starting to double click in earnest, but unfortunately it's at least a year out of warranty. Newegg.ca has them in stock for $50 CDN, but I was wondering if there was anything similar I should be looking at instead. I'm mostly an MMO player these days.

Is there more static electricity from dry weather?
Have you tried blowing compressed air under the button? That can clear the charge as well as remove any debris that may be bridging or activating the switch in error

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll give both of those a shot in the morning, once I've sorted out where my canned air went.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

isndl posted:

Not quite true, the sniper button returns the DPI to normal when released which is behavior you can't replicate by mapping DPI toggling to another button (or at least, I was unable to a few months ago when I experimented with it).

I never used the sniper button on the G502 myself, it's simply set too far forward for my fingertip grip. Even the hidden gesture button on the M720 is outside my comfortable access area, my thumb rests right at the edge of it on the internal frame so I have to shift my thumb forward if I want to hit it. There doesn't seem to be any mouse intended for a pure fingertip grip style, it's all palm or claw placement. :sigh:

I don't use the button myself, but it would be highly odd if you couldn't map that function in software, because it's not like the ~sniper~ button is a special piece of hardware or anything like that. There's a whole list of functions in LGS that can be reassigned to the button; could it be "DPI shift?" I can't be bothered to test it but I'd bet that's the function.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I don't use the button myself, but it would be highly odd if you couldn't map that function in software, because it's not like the ~sniper~ button is a special piece of hardware or anything like that. There's a whole list of functions in LGS that can be reassigned to the button; could it be "DPI shift?" I can't be bothered to test it but I'd bet that's the function.

I just reinstalled the Logitech Options software to double check and realized I'm the dumbass because the M720 doesn't have DPI shifting, just pointer speed toggling. The pointer speed toggle doesn't behave like a sniper button but it's not the meant to be the same behavior anyways I guess. Don't have any of the gaming mice handy to cross-test. :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
BTW, LGS (Logitech Gaming Software) is the old software that's being replaced by G HUB.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
G9X lightspeed wireless when

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The only thing I want is a wireless Microsoft Intellimouse (one of the white ones, grey ones can go home).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sagebrush posted:

G700S lightspeed when

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's mean. I'd buy like 10 G700 Lightspeed but it will never happen :v:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

orcane posted:

That's mean. I'd buy like 10 G700 Lightspeed but it will never happen :v:

The battery life is literally the only complaint I have with the G700S. Otherwise it's :perfect:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

The battery life is literally the only complaint I have with the G700S. Otherwise it's :perfect:

Well yeah, except for the part where you can't buy a new one anymore if the double clicking takes over or it breaks in any other way.

The battery life is a pretty significant complaint, though. And I assume the sensor could be a lot better these days (which I wouldn't know because literally none of the current Logitech gaming mice appeal to me). Also, my G700 didn't work right with certain LGS versions, but the current one that supports my :catdrugs: keyboard works.

It's still funny I have to run at least 3 different Logitech programs to manage my devices, though. LGS is its own thing and they keep dropping support for slightly older hardware every time a new suite comes out for their non-gaming products. So I get to run SetPoint for old mice (like the Performance MX I use for work stuff), Options for newer devices, and LGS for the G700 and the G810 keyboard (which was discontinued too, gj Logitech :()

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 13, 2019

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

This is the place for confused people to ask for mouse advice, yes? I had no idea there were so many options until I started looking recently.

Do ya'll know of any relatively lightweight wireless mice available, or are they all going to be heavy due to batteries? On around a $40 budget. I've been using a Logitech M510, but it feels heavier than I'd like these days plus it started doing that double-clicking thing I've seen mentioned a few times for a while, although it seems to have gone away again for now. Although I would be using it for games, I don't generally play fast-paced stuff like shooters so it doesn't need to be anything with super-high specs. I do play MMOs so bonus buttons would be nice; the two side buttons on the M510 were a revelation for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
Looks like the M510 uses 2x AA batteries, so you could probably find something that uses a single battery and that would shave off a good chunk of weight. The M585/590 is about 20% lighter and is probably your best bet, since everything smaller/lighter seems to be lacking in thumb buttons.