Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Here's some info on the current working conditions around the Chernobyl New Safe Confinement:

quote:

Radioactive dust in the shelter is monitored by hundreds of sensors.[10] Workers in the 'local zone' carry two dosimeters, one showing real-time exposure and the second recording information for the worker's dose log.[20]

Workers have a daily and annual radiation exposure limit. Their dosimeter beeps if the limit is reached and the worker's site access is canceled.[20] The annual limit (20 millisieverts) may be reached by spending 12 minutes above the roof of the 1986 sarcophagus, or a few hours around its chimney.[21]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement

The ANNUAL limit might be reached within 12 minutes or hours depending on where you are. So yeah. Might not pop down my retirement house around there anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Question: Was what actually happened the absolute worst case scenario for Chernobyl?

The heat could have at least theoretically detonated the uranium pile creating not only another Nagasaki but a much more radioactive one due to its fuel source and ground level explosion. Much of the series from the previews will be focused on the attempts to cool it down.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Raccooon posted:

How bad is it now because a person has taken a photo of the elephants foot right up next to it in the 90s. I would have thought that would have been the most intense part of the radiation.

Maybe it was just because they did it quick so they calculated it was fine to be there for like a minute?
Also, that dude is nuts

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Here's some info on the current working conditions around the Chernobyl New Safe Confinement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_New_Safe_Confinement

The ANNUAL limit might be reached within 12 minutes or hours depending on where you are. So yeah. Might not pop down my retirement house around there anytime soon.

Was reading the three mile island wiki and it said a chest x ray is about 8 millisieverts. So yeah being around that thing is like having hundreds of chest x-rays a day depending on where you are.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Question: Was what actually happened the absolute worst case scenario for Chernobyl?

Might not be the absolute worst case, but anyway: from the firefighting efforts, a lot of water had pooled in some space beneath the reactor. Also from firefighting efforts, a lot of clay and boron had been dumped on the burning reactor, resulting in a molten radioactive boron/clay lava basically. If that "lava" had burned through to the pooled water, the resulting steam explosion would have lead to even more radioactive contamination blanketing Europe. This didn't happen, thanks to a few divers who went down there and drained the water out, knowing the exposure would be lethal. They all died within a few weeks.

edit: VVV argh, I had a feeling that there was something apocryphal about that story.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 12, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

El Jeffe posted:

Might not be the absolute worst case, but anyway: from the firefighting efforts, a lot of water had pooled in some space beneath the reactor. Also from firefighting efforts, a lot of clay and boron had been dumped on the burning reactor, resulting in a molten radioactive boron/clay lava basically. If that "lava" had burned through to the pooled water, the resulting steam explosion would have lead to even more radioactive contamination blanketing Europe. This didn't happen, thanks to a few divers who went down there and drained the water out, knowing the exposure would be lethal. They all died within a few weeks.

They apparently didn’t.

Edit : https://www.businessinsider.com/chernobyl-volunteers-divers-nuclear-mission-2016-4

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

quote:

For Korneyev, this particular trip was only one of hundreds of dangerous missions he’s taken to the core since he first arrived on site in the days following the initial explosion. His initial job was to locate the fuel deposits and help determine their radiation levels. (The Elephant’s Foot initially gave off more than 10,000 roentgens an hour, which would kill a person three feet from it in less than two minutes.) Soon after that, he began leading cleanup efforts, sometimes even kicking pieces of solid fuel out of the way.

Yeah this is a crazy person.

quote:

His current status is murky. When the Times caught up to Korneyev a year and a half ago, he was helping to plan construction of a $1.5 billion arch that, when finished in 2017, will cap the decaying sarcophagus and prevent airborne isotopes from escaping. In his mid 60s, he was sickly, with cataracts, and had been barred from re-entering the sarcophagus after years of irradiation.

Korneyev’s sense of humor remained intact, though. He seemed to have no regrets about his life’s work. “Soviet radiation,” he joked, “is the best radiation in the world.”

still alive though apparently, but hosed up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

“Soviet radiation,” he joked, “is the best radiation in the world.”

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

If you have to be best at something...

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Soviet egalitarian radiation is superior to American bourgeoisie radiation comrade!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really wish this was being done in an American Crime Story style where we'd get another season of "Here's a horrifying bleak and nightmarish scenario of horror and destruction". Maybe on the Atomic Bomb blast?

Nah screw that, go for the Bhopal chemical disaster.
After that there could be the Zeebrugge Ferry disaster, some plane crashes, 3 mile Island, various mine collapses etc.

Maybe “The great molasses flood” too https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

I’m not sure ‘American crime story’ was necessarily intended to be a series before the success of the OJ one - it certainly never had that name attached when it came out.

If Chernobyl is successful it can only help the case for similar dramatisations.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I am by no means an expert, but to my understanding, humans can visit certain parts of the area with no major issues. Key word being "visit". Permanent settlement is out of the question. The dosage overtime will cause health issues, even if it's probably "fine" if you stay in the area for hours or even days at a time.

There are permanent residents in the Exclusion Zone. They even garden in there. ( The churning of the earth has somewhat reduced the radiation levels though)

BigglesSWE posted:

I have heard a lot of people in the civil sector complain that the modern regulation is far too overly strict on radiation exposure.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

bloom posted:

Was having the "good" meters in a locked safe a real thing? That seems like a terrible idea.

That was Soviet Union. Of course anything that wasn't bolted down would be stored in a safe, especially a good expensive-rear end dosimeter. Anything that wasn't would get stolen immediately.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The first episode was pure 100% gold. God drat it was great. As many others have said, it was like watching a horror movie, made all the worse by knowing all this poo poo really and literally happened.

Hard to pick a worst moment, because god drat all those people :( But maybe the scene with the civilians standing on the bridge watching the pretty lights and the artificial "snow", with that one mum taking her baby out of the stroller to get a better look.

I also really loved the old guy in the council meeting. With his wise looks and gentle, fatherly smile, the scene was set up to make you think the old wise man will now set the young people straight and guide them on a wiser path, but nope: he's just batshit insane. Blockade the town, cut the phone lines, that's how we protect the people from themselves and from sabotaging their own work. We will get medals for this! :agesilaus:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gonz posted:

I wonder if they’re going to visit the Elephant’s Foot?

Wtf is this caption? The dude is there in the shot (you can see him) and it was taken almost a decade later after the radiation had subsided by ~90%

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Der Shovel posted:

but nope: he's just batshit insane.

And greeted with awestruck looks and wild applause too.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

I wonder if they’re going to visit the Elephant’s Foot?

And when they needed to study the material and ended up making samples using the most Soviet method: shooting it with a Kalashnikov.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

Wtf is this caption? The dude is there in the shot (you can see him) and it was taken almost a decade later after the radiation had subsided by ~90%

I've seen that picture+caption make the rounds on 9gag for years. Turns out, 9gaggers aren't the best at source analysis.

Also, a major pet-peeve of mine is when a text like this goes "Oh, and that thing?" like the gently caress you need to be all coy about it.

I just looked up the credits for Craig Mazin, the writer of this show. It's...not what I expected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Mazin

And apparently he was once roommate with Ted Cruz, holy poo poo this world is crazy.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 13, 2019

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Great episode - Iv'e always been fascinated by Chernobyl and radioactive mishaps. A little bit of a tangent, and it's been shared on this forum many times before, but there is a great report made by Sandia Labs about how to contain nuclear waste for thousands of years and generations. Worth a read.

iSimian fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 13, 2019

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
With GOT done next week I hope HBO puts more effort into stuff like this and whatever new series they try to launch.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

BigglesSWE posted:

I just looked up the credits for Craig Mazin, the writer of this show. It's...not what I expected.

And apparently he was once roommate with Ted Cruz, holy poo poo this world is crazy.

Director Johan Renck also has an interesting career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CeeJee posted:

Director Johan Renck also has an interesting career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs

Yeah having Stakka Bo directing this was very random as well. Apparently he’s been doing some stuff for Breaking Bad and TWD so sure, why not! I just had no idea he was still relevant in any way.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

I've seen that picture+caption make the rounds on 9gag for years. Turns out, 9gaggers aren't the best at source analysis.

Also, a major pet-peeve of mine is when a text like this goes "Oh, and that thing?" like the gently caress you need to be all coy about it.

poo poo. Why did I think he wrote/created Manhattan?

That show does increasing doom well, though on a WGN budget and scale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

With GOT done next week I hope HBO puts more effort into stuff like this and whatever new series they try to launch.

We're gonna have like a year off and then HBO will be all about shoving a GoT spinoff down our throats, and they'll probably have a second one all ready to go right behind it. They're definitely still depending on it to carry them for the next 3-5 years, which could end up being a major mistake. We'll see.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Seriously. GoT is so awful it's nice to have this on the next day as a reminder of "oh, yeah, and this is what an actually good show is like"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

HBO sometimes stumble upon actual great television, such as this and True Detective (minus season 2 for many reasons but especially because Vince Vaughn) but I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that most of their in house stuff is just mediocre at best.

Their streaming service is also patently awful in its functionality compared to Netflix.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Basebf555 posted:

We're gonna have like a year off and then HBO will be all about shoving a GoT spinoff down our throats, and they'll probably have a second one all ready to go right behind it. They're definitely still depending on it to carry them for the next 3-5 years, which could end up being a major mistake. We'll see.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be as cheap as they think it will be reusing props and costumes. John Oliver has been pretty direct about it.

Oh well, maybe Watchmen will be dope af and save the network. :sigh:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Game of Thrones is gonna end like How I Met Your Mother and be so disliked that the network just goes “nah” to the previously hyped spin-off show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trevor Hale posted:

Game of Thrones is gonna end like How I Met Your Mother and be so disliked that the network just goes “nah” to the previously hyped spin-off show.

Naw, they're gonna wait for GRRM to finish the last two books and then re-adapt those. :laugh:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Despera posted:

The heat could have at least theoretically detonated the uranium pile creating not only another Nagasaki but a much more radioactive one due to its fuel source and ground level explosion. Much of the series from the previews will be focused on the attempts to cool it down.

This is total gibberish and not how nuclear explosions work

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's drat close to absolute worst-case scenario, actually. There was a risk of a further steam explosion if the corium had made it to the bubbler pool underneath the reactor basement, but it went prompt critical at some point during the accident.

Nuclear reactors are designed to be delayed critical (fission takes place on a seconds-to-minutes timescale), so that ramp up time takes a while, relatively speaking, and are also designed in a way to prevent a prompt critical (fission takes place on a nanosecond scale) physical configuration from being possible at all. This is why all the nuclear engineers onsite were adamant that it was just a hydrogen tank explosion. All of the information available to them (I assume the show is going to go into the whole "design flaws were state secrets stuff" with Legasov) told them that what had happened was impossible.

The reactor explosion happened because of a combination of critical design flaws and an unsafe test that, taken individually, are not a big deal, but when they all happen at once, is very very bad. Combination of lack of cooling from the way the experiment was setup, a high positive void coefficient (water turning to steam makes the reaction go faster, rather than slower in other reactor designs), and control rods that temporarily increase reactivity as they're inserted turned the reactor into a much larger version of the Louis Slotin "tickling the dragon's tail" testing, explosively disassembling the core either before or after the steam explosion blew the lid off. Since all the monitoring equipment was destroyed, figuring out what happened is all theory and mathematics. Either the lack of cooling caused the steam explosion which caused the prompt critical assembly, or the lack of cooling caused the prompt critical assembly, the increase of thermal load caused the steam explosion, possibly with another prompt critical event after the steam explosion due to further loss of water moderation. The heat from the prompt critical combined with exposure to a non-inert atmosphere is what caused the graphite fire.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2019

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Guze posted:

I like that they decided to show the explosion from a far and not inside the plant.

It was brilliantly done. So ominous that way.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
just becausr GoT sucks doesn't mean hbo is dying

Big little lies and Sharp Objects were great, watcg them

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This is total gibberish and not how nuclear explosions work

Can you maybe Google "prompt criticality" instead of using your posts in thread to jump on my balls

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can someone post a nice Nuclear Energy 101 video for us dumbasses who don’t understand how these magic things called “atoms” make the electricity that makes my computer turn on?

Like seriously I have no goddamn idea what a control rod does except that it’s apparently really important. Like what is nuclear material in a reactor?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 14, 2019

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Can someone post a nice Nuclear Energy 101 video for us dumbasses who don’t understand how these magic things called “atoms” make the electricity that makes my computer turn on?

Like seriously I have no goddamn idea what a control rod does except that it’s apparently really important. Like what is nuclear material in a reactor?

Oh god. Oh god. What have you done?

<braces self for incoming conflicting explanations, :actually: and digression>

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I wonder which one is Gorbachov LoL

Oooh we got a buddy comedy

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 14, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Fun fact: Gorbachev is still loving alive.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I love how they're showing the massive corruption that exists to this day in Russia....how 2+2=5 and how people swallow it out of fear or hope that they can do better by pushing forth the lies of their wasteland of a country.

e: I gotta admit I love how they can get things done sometimes " Get me 5000 tons of sand n poo poo"

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ej7ZEnjSeA