Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I've been playing this game for less than 24 hours and I'm already tired of people complaining about not getting 1v1s on Frontlines.
But don't you see, 60 kills 500 feet away from any objectives means that you should feel sorry for how sore their back is from carrying you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I made a loadout for duel servers with a real melee weapon in the first slot but then also two training swords. When I feel like it I can drop one on the ground and point at it until I entice some rando to get in a 5 minute long 2 damage slapfight with me. Probably makes for pretty good practice, actually.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lol equipped executioner sword, first game over 20 kills. In front lines you either play stabby stab, or you play a weapon that has 1 hit kill potential on targets with 1 armor or less. Can you be successful with other stuff? Absolutely. However, there is a definite advantage to using one of the above.

Also feel free to sub the maul for the executioner sword.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cerebral posted:

You can't be flinched during a riposte, so when you're getting dog piled and you riposte and start a big swing, that swing is going to continue through until it gets blocked, when you switch to another target, you're essentially dragging (or accelling, depending on which direction you turn), and it fucks most people up, they miss their parries, and someone, or multiple someones end up losing their heads.

What's crazy to me is that not only do people get tunnel vision in those situations, but they also all start attacking at the same tempo (as fast as they loving can). All it takes is one guy to skip a beat and then swing or poke, and the guy getting dog piled is dead, and yet very few people do it.

Yeah because they hate horse riders and want them to die. Horse riders are the archers of Mordhau, along with the actual archers

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Any weapon recommendations/builds if you have relatively high ping? I realized the reason the spear was so inconsistent was that I was stabbing at guys that weren’t exactly where the game said they were.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zotix posted:

Lol equipped executioner sword, first game over 20 kills. In front lines you either play stabby stab, or you play a weapon that has 1 hit kill potential on targets with 1 armor or less. Can you be successful with other stuff? Absolutely. However, there is a definite advantage to using one of the above.

Also feel free to sub the maul for the executioner sword.

I got the maul today and felt like an absolute savage.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I do find myself going towards the slow high damage weapons like the Executioners Sword and the Zweihander.

Also, why are there people trying to fist fight me in Frontline? (I haven't tried Battle Royal or Horde. I ought to try them out soon) Throwing weapons build and they are fresh out? Going for the achievement? Weird flex?

EDIT2: What is ur favorite lute song mine is Doom E1M1

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 13, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Any weapon recommendations/builds if you have relatively high ping? I realized the reason the spear was so inconsistent was that I was stabbing at guys that weren’t exactly where the game said they were.

I guess you'd want to go with weapons that have big long horizontal swings like the halberd, bardiche, greatsword, zweihander, executioner sword, poleaxe...
Just don't behead your team!

e: ^^^^ a lot of players run around shirtless and try to punch you to death just for shits and giggles. It's just a more extreme version of playing as a peasant I guess.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, why are there people trying to fist fight me in Frontline? (I haven't tried Battle Royal or Horde. I ought to try them out soon) Throwing weapons build and they are fresh out? Going for the achievement? Weird flex?

Probably a mix between people stacking tons of perks and brawler, and people who ran out of throwing weapons. Brawler's actually pretty effective, punches do 20 - 40 damage even against heavy armor. If you can avoid counterattack, such as with dodge, you can absolutely get kills with it.

My most successful scoring character is triple throwing axes, brawler, and dodge. I think that kind of character is less common than people just playing boxers with no weapons at all, though, which is a purely for fun type character.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got the maul today and felt like an absolute savage.

I have a Robert Baratheon build with full plate and a maul and it is so satisfying wading very slowly into a fight and just crushing fools left and right

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Going brawler builds is a fast track focus on causing and exploiting missed swings through positioning. If you pick those skills up you can just go ham with whatever weapons you want, because you're able to control the range bracket between you and the enemy and will know how to do things like bypassing their swings and positioning in 2v1s or 3v1s so that you're only exposed to one enemy at a time.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I tried during the weekend but I can't get the LuteBot to work well, it crashes when I try to switch to the next song.

I kinda love the lute even without the bot. It's hilarious to stick with the group and try to create a battle Melody by clicks and mouse flicks, trying to match the mood. If we're winning I'll play a cheerful song, if the fight is intense I play frantically, and if it's a single dude against 5 of us I try to get a sad song going and then crouch next to their bodies and play a requiem (well... To me).

Sadly this usually results in my teammates killing me. I even carry a sword and a firebomb as to not be entirely useless, come on dudes!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I for real wish horses didn't exist in this game. They're like jets in Battlefield in the sense they don't really cap points or interact with the rest of the game in any way, except occassionally killing you while you're busy doing something else, like having fun.

Horses own try riding one it’s fun

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hakimashou posted:

Horses own try riding one it’s fun

I've learned that I'm absolutely terrible at some combination of aiming or timing because I whiff 2 out of 3 attempted attacks against oblivious footmen.
But despite that I still manage to pick up quite a few kills whenever I manage to steal an enemy's horse. You can just keep trying over and over again and you're almost 100% safe except against the one guy you're trying to hit, since nobody can outrun a horse and get close enough to swing at you. Just don't crash into a wall.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Horses are super fun. And should also be removed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nordick posted:

I thought I'd find duel servers boring, but nah. Spent a few hours on one the other day, it was a lot of fun. That dude playing referee was there for a while (or someone else doing the same gimmick anyways) and we also had like three different bards who just stood on ledges and pillars playing stuff with LuteBot. Every now and then someone would take a break from dueling and go up to a bard and jam out with emotes for a while. I also didn't get destroyed quite as bad as I thought I would, I was pretty much in the middle of the pack and actually managed to beat some of the top dogs a couple times.

There were a few of these as well, but really it wasn't nearly as annoying as it was funny seeing them get dogpiled to poo poo and then kicked from the server. :v:

On Monday my buddies and I invaded a regular deathmatch server and were matching up the songs we played for double cancer, with the third guy building defences. Eventually we had half the server defending or dancing with us, with a couple people losing their loving minds at this blatant display of 'teaming' in the free for all server. Was great fun.

If you dont have lute bot you're doing yourself a disservice imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Am I a bad person if whenever I walk past a noncombatant lute player I give him a little love kick before turning away and moving onwards.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been having a lot of fun running around daggering people though it does expose a lot of hilarious anomalies in weapons speeds.

Like, once you go dagger you realize just how completely hosed the way the game deals with damage is.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 13, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rynoto posted:

Horses are super fun. And should also be removed.

No they shouldn’t there should be more of them

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Am I a bad person if whenever I walk past a noncombatant lute player I give him a little love kick before turning away and moving onwards.

Tons of nerds are mad about lutes now which means lutes are good.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i do this but with extreme long distance archers

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I kick anyone who pauses long enough in my way to get kicked. Its a polite reminder not to friggin' block the way to the kill zone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If I see a lute player in the vicinity, I stop for a minute just to dance and cheer. I imagine it makes their day. Other people prefer to just slaughter their own team's lute players

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Lute players are fair game if they are standing on a point.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hommando posted:

Lute players are fair game if they are standing on a point.

"Yeah you're playing the Doom theme on a lute but also you're capping a point. Cute. Still gonna bash your head with a maul."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

i do this but with extreme long distance archers

If an archer is by a ledge I will always kick him off it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gobblecoque posted:

If an archer is by a ledge I will always kick him off it.

:same:
Been doing this since Chivalry.

Okay "always" is an exaggeration, but any friendly archer in my vicinity is always at risk of getting kicked. This risk increases exponentially the further they are from the action and the more they are in the way.

It's not that I even personally hate archers, it's just traditional.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Billhook is love. Billhook is life.

Also throwing weapons is great.

https://gfycat.com/ablemixedjavalina

How do I embed gfycat links, I have no idea.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I tried that 3/3/3 and dodge build and yep it's pretty fun. Especially if you find a kite shield and something like a halberd. Watching people go "what" when I start dipping around is pretty funny.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I tried extreme sniper god longbow archery and it was boring, and also not very fun because of how slow arrows are in this game. Crossbow is better because you can aim longer and even fire a bit farther but still not great, but recurve bow extra-long spearman is where it's at. I don't even mind that kills are relatively rare because you can rack up plenty of points from rapid-fire pincushioning everything in sight for mucho assists anyway, and whipping out a mace whenver anyone survives to meet you face-to-face feels amazing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Bro tip, if you miss an attack in a duel, aim straight down and crouch so you hit the ground. Missing costs stamina, hitting the dirt costs nothing. Way easier and probably more pertinent with long weapon stabs and overheads like zweis and halberds and stuff but theoretically it can help with any weapon.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

McSpanky posted:

I tried extreme sniper god longbow archery and it was boring, and also not very fun because of how slow arrows are in this game. Crossbow is better because you can aim longer and even fire a bit farther but still not great, but recurve bow extra-long spearman is where it's at. I don't even mind that kills are relatively rare because you can rack up plenty of points from rapid-fire pincushioning everything in sight for mucho assists anyway, and whipping out a mace whenver anyone survives to meet you face-to-face feels amazing.

I prefer the crossbow for this exact style of play simply because I like to pick WHEN I'll need to be delayed before shooting my shot, instead of taking a shorter delay right before having to shoot. I'll just whip behind a corner to set up my next shot. Also, the destabilization you get from a recurve or longbow draw just really messes with my aim, and on top of that the projectiles are slower.

But yeah, any archer sitting in the deep backline is silly. My archer games get decent points, and I spend all game getting assists turning 2 shots into 1 shots for my teammates. I personally use a short spear as well to poke things down. Having melee combat fundamentals is critical, because if someone is approaching you, you're not likely to live playing mid-line unless you can at least play defense until your team helps you.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

It is really cool seeing the overall skill progression in this game. I saw a guy duck and jump swings on Friday and thought it was amazing, and that he must be some kind of super-alpha player, and by Sunday evening, I'm seeing it multiple times per game. Executioners and Zweihanders become a lot less scary when a simple crouch eliminates about 99% of your average user's moveset.

My personal progression for the weekend was that I went from barely being able to chamber (and completely unable to capitalize on it when I did manage to chamber), to being very competent with it by the end of the weekend. Just a few minutes of playing with a slowed down bot answered a lot of questions I had about the mechanics and gave me the confidence to try against real people. Suddenly thrust spam became something to look forward to instead of fear.

Setting up a slo-mo bot match goes like this:

1) Fight => Local Match => Deathmatch => 0 bots =>Pick Map => Start
2) Open console with ~
3) Type: toggledamage 0
4) Type: togglestamina 0
4) Type: slomo 0.7
5) Type: addbot 1

You can adjust the slow motion as you get a feel for things until you get up to full speed, but being able to see everything happening and being able to experiment against a bot for 10 minutes will help you more than watching a thousand youtube videos.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

My friend made an Archer assassin with throwing knives and appropriate traits it's quite the thing to behold

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008

cerebral posted:

My personal progression for the weekend was that I went from barely being able to chamber (and completely unable to capitalize on it when I did manage to chamber), to being very competent with it by the end of the weekend. Just a few minutes of playing with a slowed down bot answered a lot of questions I had about the mechanics and gave me the confidence to try against real people. Suddenly thrust spam became something to look forward to instead of fear.

That's useful to know. I've been landing some chambers and I tend to only go for them versus players that know enough about what they're doing that some simple tech doesn't beat them (I've found morphs and feints tend to beat the average stabber just fine), and those players always wind up beating out my chamber, so I'd like to understand what's up.

What's the general word of wisdom for shields? Kicking doesn't really seem to be an answer, in my experience they can backpedal fast enough to escape, and I usually just avoid shield users unless I have a buddy to distract them so I can smack their head from behind.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Horses are terrible and if nothing else the full-sized spear should not be twice as long as its visual model on horseback because holy poo poo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Mystery Machine posted:

That's useful to know. I've been landing some chambers and I tend to only go for them versus players that know enough about what they're doing that some simple tech doesn't beat them (I've found morphs and feints tend to beat the average stabber just fine), and those players always wind up beating out my chamber, so I'd like to understand what's up.

What's the general word of wisdom for shields? Kicking doesn't really seem to be an answer, in my experience they can backpedal fast enough to escape, and I usually just avoid shield users unless I have a buddy to distract them so I can smack their head from behind.

I blitz shields while circling them. Trying to drain the stamina. Wish there was a perk that caused opponents to drain more stamina with blocks and parries

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The rule in these games with spears is: make a visual estimate of how long the spear is, multiply that by three, and that's about one-tenth of its actual reach in mechanical terms.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

cerebral posted:

It is really cool seeing the overall skill progression in this game.

Unfortunately, this also means the game's shelf life is a limited one. Already starting to encounter dudes, contorted into pretzel shapes, who run at ridiculous speeds and project a totally inscrutable sphere of death that bears little-to-no resemblance to any movement their character makes. Can't even sneak up on them and backstab them, cause they seem to all play at some insane 270 degree fisheye FoV.

Hey ho, I'll enjoy Wacky Fun Choppy Game for the two months it stays that way, then move on. Your wife is a hobby horse, et cetera et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Disgusting Coward posted:

Unfortunately, this also means the game's shelf life is a limited one. Already starting to encounter dudes, contorted into pretzel shapes, who run at ridiculous speeds and project a totally inscrutable sphere of death that bears little-to-no resemblance to any movement their character makes. Can't even sneak up on them and backstab them, cause they seem to all play at some insane 270 degree fisheye FoV.

Hey ho, I'll enjoy Wacky Fun Choppy Game for the two months it stays that way, then move on. Your wife is a hobby horse, et cetera et cetera.

Can't say I've experienced this