Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If your stealth is 60+ you should be able to just run right past everyone at night and they won't see you

Ah, my stealth is like 90 -- just realized that being injured reduces stealth by a ton, I thought only encumbrance effected it. I guess I'll alt tab awhile longer until I'm healthy enough to just walk out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that's a new one. Rebirth slave start. Been disarming guards so we could train with less bloodshed. Things going well. Decent martial arts skills, as well as stealth, assassin, thievery.

Then I start noticing all these maimed guards running through. What the gently caress?

Oh god it's a pack of bonedogs tearing through the unarmed guards and now they're eating everyone.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, I've got a base set up for the purpose of making a shitload of iron plates so I can quick-deploy a new base in more dangerous territory, and also for stocking up on food. It was actually pretty fun surviving all the animal raids, but no one is coming back to the base anymore, so I'm gonna move on soon. But before that, the Canhead raid.

I have done a LITTLE science on making some sort of powerful killbox. You can't shoot "through" walls, but I suspect you could possibly shoot over them if your gate was on top of a hill and you were shooting downward. For now though, this will do. Two killboxes made from ore boxes, enemy AI bugs out and get stuck on the corners for easy gibs, as you can see by the bloodstains. However, someone bumping into them will get them unstuck, so I don't know how reliable this is for a full-on raid (the bloodspots are from Raptors). Time for my first real test of this playthrough.

edit:

Canhead's entire raid was slaughtered by something as he made his way toward my base. He is the only one in the pack programmed to not fight any enemy that isn't in your base I think. His body guards appeared and immediately started fighting another set of Garru nearby. Canhead might have some sort of teleport tech, but literally everyone but him died on the way over.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
That UI contrast mod you got looks nice. Any issue with it?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Panfilo posted:

That UI contrast mod you got looks nice. Any issue with it?

Nope, it's the Dark Mode UI that used to be in the OP and in the Sseth modlist, never had a problem with it.

Also, weird thing. I spent a while doing some micro to bust into one of the ancient labs which was much more difficult than the Narko's Trap, but I eventually did it with some semi-serious injuries, but nothing I can't sleep off. Get to the top and loot everything but the two safes I need tools to break into, so I decide to check back in on my base. Whole place is hosed. Cannibals broke in and beat everyone's rear end and kidnapped half the team. Never got a word of warning, much less the red "hey your squad is in combat" thing. Thankfully, every single cannibal who was carrying someone got run down by Garrus and I was able to pretty quickly get everyone back inside and healed up. Like, it ended up being no big deal but I can't imagine how clowned I would've been if I was in a more difficult zone

also if you kidnap someone, you only get a weight penalty fpr carrying a body and their inventory doesn't count, so if you're carrying a person you can stuff them full of loot for no extra weight

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 12, 2019

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ok so disguising as a guard is crazy effective! Knocked one out, took his clothes, shackled him in a shack and then just walked out. Now I’ve found Mongrel and added a bug who talks like a robot and a very old man to my squad. Have found a solid division of labor where my ex-slave steals stuff at night while the elderly man goes around and fights cannibals with the guards. Then whenever he gets captured by cannibals my main character carries him back. Meanwhile I have my bug alternate between mining and beating a cannibal I locked in my house to death.

A+ game so far basically.

E: also the only faction I have positive relations with so far is the slavers, presumably because I sold myself to them earlier

tildes fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 12, 2019

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Donkringel posted:

Arach perhaps?

Or the swamp? Haven't gone there but I am end game and still hate blood spiders.

Pretty sure spiders and skinners don't actually raid your base, which is what I'm after. I want tough raiders like robots to attack my base

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only robot raiders are to the far southeast. I kidnapped and held one of their diplomatic persona in a cage and it was a non stop parade of robots charging into my base.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Kidnap and imprison all the faction leaders and watch the never ending conga line funneling into your base 24/7.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I noticed an (exploit?) in Mongrel. The skeleton doctor isn't affiliated with the Ronin locals, so you can steal robot limbs and hock them with zero trouble. Then you can sometimes re-steal the limb you just sold and go to the shinobi fence and get another 50% of free money. Though you often don't even need to bother with that step; the robotics shack restocks about 20k worth of limbs every day, so you can just do this over and over. I've been testing it and while the doc won't sell you anything if you get caught stealing, you can still use rent the skeleton bed lol.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not really an exploit, per se. I think the limb trader is a member of the machinist/tech hunter faction, while all the other traders aside from the Shinobi fence are part of the Mongrel faction. That's intended behaviour, it's just not usually that you find multiple factions in the same location. You will see situations like this in a few other towns, though.

Money isn't so hard to come by that I really feel a need to exploit this, though. If I choose to go heavy on stealing things, just outright robbing places for the resources I need would really be much faster. Cut out the middleman and all that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you're already in Mongrel just cut the heads off of Fog Princes. That's where I do my stealth/assassination training and by the time I get Stealth to 70 I usually come out with 50k cats

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

If you're already in Mongrel just cut the heads off of Fog Princes. That's where I do my stealth/assassination training and by the time I get Stealth to 70 I usually come out with 50k cats

That's what I was planning on doing but stealing robot limbs is easier at this point for my main guy. People talk about finding dead ones at the gates but none of them make it that close.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've since figured out what the problem with my attempt to "collect" princes with prisoner poles was and it seems like a legitimate option to just grab a living Fogman and put him on a pike as close to the gates as you can place them.

The thing is that princes are physically in the world, as in, they don't pop up out of nowhere just to eat some poor schmuck. You'll actually have to keep an eye on your sacrifices. They need to travel to where you put the food and if they're currently already eating something, more will not come until they've eaten the dinner they already had. I think this is also partly influenced by chunk size, because larger chunks mean more "active" fog princes within the influence sphere of your prisoner poles.

Try it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wreeee

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Is that supposed to be a sound like a garage door opener or a cicada?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Is that supposed to be a sound like a garage door opener or a cicada?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUVLvHcwF0

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I allied with the outlaw farmers, attacked port north, and now the outlaw farmers are beating up all the slaves. Guys, stop :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Rebirth guards were no match for me now. Not without their arms and legs. We strolled out and started raiding Blister Hill and the neabr farms and mines for supplies. We’d gently caress up all the guards then run off with out loot. So far so good. The raid on the farm was when things went wrong. We were in the kitchen when the farmer’s wife interrupted us. She swung a fist and bashed Flashbox in the head. She struck back and instantly killed the farmwife with a punch that crushed her chest.

:ohdear:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Rebirth guards were no match for me now. Not without their arms and legs. We strolled out and started raiding Blister Hill and the neabr farms and mines for supplies. We’d gently caress up all the guards then run off with out loot. So far so good. The raid on the farm was when things went wrong. We were in the kitchen when the farmer’s wife interrupted us. She swung a fist and bashed Flashbox in the head. She struck back and instantly killed the farmwife with a punch that crushed her chest.

:ohdear:

suffer not an okranite to live

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This is how you get farmboy heroes. Better kill the rest of the family before the little bugger has time to find himself a wise old mentor and come after you.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

This is how you get farmboy heroes. Better kill the rest of the family before the little bugger has time to find himself a wise old mentor and come after you.

Cue Goblin Hunter scene where he kills the young goblins.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cardiovorax posted:

You're hosed regardless, the boy will inexplicably survive by hiding under the floorboards. You'll think your safe, deep in the ashlands, surrounded by walls and an army of skeletons. He will come anyway. He will win.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...Hans, I think we are the baddies.

[edit] Also:

W̖̪͎̤̟̩e̻̫ ͎̳̕l̤̩̕i̵v̩̯̼̰̖̹͈e̢̝̤̟̱ ̪̳̥̭̘͚fo͜r̢͔͍̩͓͉͔ͅ ̷͍̮̱̣͖t͍͎h̦̼̤̣̯̻̟͘ę ̡̠̰͚s̷̼̼̘w̵̝a̳̣̲͍͠a̦̤̳̟͇̩ͅa͍̜̜͖a͖̤̤r̫͘m̭̳͕̪.̮̩

You guys think that's enough bugs?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 13, 2019

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Nope!

From what I can tell, the bugmaster essentially has (N+1) bugs, where N represents waaaaaaay too many bugs for you to handle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Catching more bugs, then. Turns out they eat bread. I have plenty of bread.

Also, I actually managed to find a Nomad Animal Trader (by way of mod) who sold a Crimper. You know that one big Gorillo robot of which there seems to be only one in the game? I now have another. It's nice.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How strong are those, actually? I see them for sale but they always have something like a 0.01 stat multiplier which makes me wary of grabbing one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Carcer posted:

How strong are those, actually? I see them for sale but they always have something like a 0.01 stat multiplier which makes me wary of grabbing one.
For good reason, lol. The real one's stats are

code:
Attributes      Level
Melee Attack    600
Strength        50
Dexterity       600
Toughness       600
Mine still has 76 effective strength and a minimum of 600 HP per body part even after adjustment. It's a pup and will grow out of that comparative weakness over the course of a month or so. Worth the money, not kidding.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 13, 2019

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That's incredible, I'll probably avoid getting any so as not to make the game too easy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
So just how fast is the attack animation with that much Dexterity? :stare:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

From personal experimentation, there's an upper limit to it. Past 100 dexterity, you don't actually get any further speed bonuses, but you still get the mechanical benefits of to-dodge and to-hit, that is to say, reduced enemy chance to block or otherwise avoid your attack. Six hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, it makes very little difference after a certain point.

Lil' Crimps will definitely cream anything he punches once he grows into his full power level, though. Punches are blunt damage, which is governed by strength. I think that list I copies is in the wrong order - that should have been 50 Combat skill and 600 strength.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The crimpers are so op that they aren't even really disposed of in any way. IDK why they're even in that mod, they're just dumb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've been using that mod for almost a year and this is the first time I've ever seen one, so they're suitably rare for what they can do. It will also take in-game months for Lil' Crimps to actually grow to full power, so I guess it's really not that much of a problem? I've got a full squad of regular humanoids that are stronger than that right now.

The big thing is probably that there's normally only exactly one of them in the game at all and people wanted a chance to play around with it in some fashion, which is a perfectly adequate reason. It's not like the mod forces them on you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Which mod is this Cardiovorax?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
So I've been playing Kenshi again, game still rules. Last time I played about half the map was missing and crossbows didn't exist yet (just the wall emplacements). Whee! I started off as a 'rock bottom' (or whatever it's called, missing limb) hiver. He's doing pretty okay now, having become quite a swordsmith with time!

So a few things, both observations and questions:

- I was probably really dumb to settle where I did, just outside Squin, basically between it and the waystation. It seemed fine at first, enough to grow so-so crops, had copper and iron. Hooray! Then the raids started. Not just hungry bandits or some poo poo (but that too) but unfortunately I get:
Hungry Bandits
Dust Bandits
Band of Bones
Shek Kingdom (tribute, I'd pay if it wasn't literally 'all your food' and refuse to cheese the game by abusing the game mechanics)
Kral's Chosen.

Yeah, uh. Huh. I'm not sure quite what happened, but I don't remember squad sizes being this crazy, either - I'm on 1.0 multipliers on all those things, but the Shek regularly send a squad of 16-25 to me. When you combine that with planks and their AOE, it's super gross, especially when all their stats are in the 40s.

My group is finally large/trained enough to kinda mostly survive, weeks and weeks later (I'm sure if I was smart I could have cheesed with wall-mounted armaments), and a number of amputated limbs later.

The real lesson was I probably just shouldn't have settled here, but I can't gauge if it's the game that changed or if it was just REALLY unwise (short of a newbie settling near fogmen). I feel like you used to be able to (if careful) actually get somewhere in Kenshi running around in the wilds with a group of 3 or so semi-skilled folks? Those guys loving murdered my settlement repeatedly. I even hired Mercs multiple times (MULTIPLE GROUPS) and they still got trounced. Slowly clawed my way up, but it took a LOT of time, including real-world time.

Here's a question though - is there anything (other than 'stop living there') I can do to keep this from slowly atrophying my faction rating with the Shek? For a race that respects strength, I feel like any time I kill any of them just defending myself, I lose another point or two of relations with Shek Kingdom. (I don't care if Band of Bones hates me, obv)

The other thing is I still haven't seen a single loving recruitable skeleton, and I've even been to Shark (I probably missed someone in Black Desert, admittedly). I guess it's just luck, but it's a bummer - I'm not gonna feel about about using the recruitable prisoners mod (I wish there was a slightly less abusive way to recruit more openly in general though).

I'm also totally constrained on a lack of AI Cores now. I found some for sale at the scrapyard - literally the only time I've stolen stuff in the game so far. I decided since this wasn't my first time playing Kenshi I'd avoid going the theft route, though with how much money I've spent on blueprints (And still missing so much) I allllmost regret it. Security Spiders just destroy my little scout dude, so the only places I've raided sadly had no AI Cores.

Edit: Is there any mod (I'm surprised I haven't found one) to make Caravans stock more than ~5 things? I find the idea of someone traveling the world selling (just) 5 sandwiches kind of silly (And not useful)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Fayk posted:

Shek Kingdom (tribute, I'd pay if it wasn't literally 'all your food' and refuse to cheese the game by abusing the game mechanics)

I'm pretty sure this is intended, the shek are not very smart

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
K so I moved Kenshi from my SSD to a NVME drive and wow this is the first time ever I've actually seen a difference between the two. Way faster loading everywhere, and fewer crashes with luck. This game is more hungry for IO speed than... Idk enterprise storage or something. It's ridiculous is my point.

Mind you my 1-2 crashes an hour previously is, I'm sure, caused by a 100 day save and like 40 mods but hopefully this'll help

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 13, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Which mod is this Cardiovorax?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1530528401

Wandering Animal Traders. It adds a bunch of nomad caravans that will travel through the game world and sell a wide variety of things that you will normally only see in the end-game and get to legitimately have in your squads never.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

The Iron Rose posted:

K so I moved Kenshi from my SSD to a NVME drive and wow this is the first time ever I've actually seen a difference between the two. Way faster loading everywhere, and fewer crashes with luck. This game is more hungry for IO speed than... Idk enterprise storage or something. It's ridiculous is my point.

Mind you my 1-2 crashes an hour previously is, I'm sure, caused by a 100 day save and like 40 mods but hopefully this'll help

That said, while on an SSD, I miiight have to try moving it to my newest (NVME) drive and see if it helps. I love the game but when running at max gamespeed across the continent I definitely see it force-pause to load a few times.

Anyone have tips for finding AI Cores? I guess just keep trying various libraries etc but even just the right way to assault them? Stealth seems maaaybe possible, but I feel like I'd have to really cheese it to fight so many spider sentries at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Spider bots actually aren't that hard. The most important thing is good armor and to weaponry that has a big bonus against robots. If you do that, then a good thing to remember is that the spiders will assault you per-level, all at once, but only per-level - anything up or down from you stays there. This means that you can create chokepoints on stairs or in tight quarters and have one super tough guy hold them back while the rest of your squad pepper the room with crossbow bolts. Especially on the lowest level of a lab, there will be tons of boxes that provide line of sight but do not inhibit attacks,

If you play the situation well, then a range of 50-ish base stats is perfectly adequate to wipe out an equal number of the big spiders in a straight fight on open terrain. I tested that on the peninsula that has the spider factory on it, where swarms of Iron Spiders are just walking around all over the place. I'll say straight that it was tough, but I survived reliably every time with roughly the same outcome in terms of damage and knockouts.

Full squad of 12 skeletons, though, so adjust this for the weak noodly bodies of meatbags on your end.