Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Elevator Screamer posted:

Farage jumped ship and established the Brexit Party as a less overtly racist version of the UKIP party he helped found.

History is going to repeat itself. The Brexit Party will likely do well at the polls in the European election, but will soon collapse as former UKIP people sign up and it degenerates into the infighting between different factions arguing how the others aren't doing racism right that destroyed UKIP.

No it's worse this time because Farage learned from his mistakes in UKIP and he personally has massive control over Brexit Party structures - he is the leader and the leader gets to choose a large number of people on the leadership board who in turn will get to pick the leader so there can't be an effective leadership challenge or hijacking of party policy by anyone unless Farage approves it. The secrecy around the funding also means that there can't be the same sort of investigations and shitstirring taht happened with Banks. Brexit Party will stick around for as long as Farage gets what he wants from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ScrubLeague posted:

i've heard that bucky specifically had to be switched to plastic bottles because too many idiots were getting glassed after buckfast-fueled arguments got out of hand

I heard this caused sales to drop in Glasgow as it represented poor value - now you have to buy a knife separate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CoolCab posted:

I heard this caused sales to drop in Glasgow as it represented poor value - now you have to buy a knife separate.

Glasgow is the best.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vitamin P posted:

The lib yanks fellating the BBC since Shapiro got a slap there has been an appalling display.

you really cannot overstate how easily Shapiro’s time in the US media has been utterly softballed. Your BBC dude was literally the first person to genuinely approach him on a platform in a real debate format, and he’s someone whose entire brand is literally built on the idea that he is a debate super-Amadeus.

I know the dude that Chaos-Dunked him isn’t exactly cool in you’re country but watching a pair of xenohobic bigots infighting is good TV.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

you really cannot overstate how easily Shapiro’s time in the US media has been utterly softballed. Your BBC dude was literally the first person to genuinely approach him on a platform in a real debate format, and he’s someone whose entire brand is literally built on the idea that he is a debate super-Amadeus.

I know the dude that Chaos-Dunked him isn’t exactly cool in you’re country but watching a pair of xenohobic bigots infighting is good TV.

? never heard of the Paxman?

he used to be pretty amusing to watch.
I suspect this shape fellow would rather turn itself inside out than endure a paxo interview.
https://r4---sn-aigl6ner.googlevide...60CA4D3&key=yt8

staberind has issued a correction as of 12:16 on May 13, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing that's bizarre is just how little Shapiro bothered to prepare. Like even if he gets softballed by us media you'd expect him to do really basic stuff like Google the interviewer

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

The thing that's bizarre is just how little Shapiro bothered to prepare. Like even if he gets softballed by us media you'd expect him to do really basic stuff like Google the interviewer

the full text of Shapiro’s ‘book’ is 50 pages, double spaced, 12 point TNR. His entire brand is being unprepared because he (and this is important) has no idea what the gently caress he is talking about, or what a debate is, or why we even have them.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
It's literally just: act like you know what you're talking about, learn a few canned lines, and only talk to people who'll agree with you or who are desperately afraid of disagreeing with you

See also the president of the United States

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
See also Zizek-Peterson debate

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Yeah, like that's just the BBC house style of interview, how can anyone be surprised? It's that or its overly chummy BBC Breakfast style lovie fests.

Honestly kind of hate the "everyone tries to be Paxman" thing, there's a time and place for it but when you so it all the time its loses the impact and element of surprise.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

See also Zizek-Peterson debate

I don't want to watch that poo poo is there a recap?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Peterson showed up and declared that he had basically done zero research and it really only gets better from there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ok fine you win i guess i'll watch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kennedy completely hosed up the Cuban middle crisis lmao

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

euphronius posted:

I mean, we're not all a pile of glowing radioactive waste, so he didn't Brexit scale gently caress up the crisis

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

tarbrush posted:

I mean, we're not all a pile of glowing radioactive waste

Indeed, he shat it, total coward missed a great opportunity.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

He may have hosed up, or even hosed up a lot. But completely loving up a nuclear missile crisis has a slightly different looking outcome.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

ok fine you win i guess i'll watch

Don't unless you really like Zizek or something. It's cringy but I didn't find it worth it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

outy posted:

He may have hosed up, or even hosed up a lot. But completely loving up a nuclear missile crisis has a slightly different looking outcome.

I guess he could have launched them yeah.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Peterson showed up and declared that he had basically done zero research and it really only gets better from there.

actually he skimmed the communist manifesto the night before

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Jordan Peterson getting his nips completely blown off by the fact that there is an entire universe of marxist thought that touches on every facet of human existence was p funny

it's totally worth a watch

there is this part where Zizek is all apologetic about giving peterson a face job about calling everyone he disagrees with a marxist and he is like "I am sorry, I am so sorry but who are these marxists? name these marxists" and ""who are these postmodern egalitarian neomarxists? and where do you see any marxism? I see an impotent moralization"

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 15:06 on May 13, 2019

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JaredRizzi/status/1127769443688493056

is this brexit?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Even the plot of Game of Thrones moves faster than Brexit.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Firos posted:

i looked up the most recent thread of this on reddit and el em eff ay oh:

Highly recommend reading this guy's reddit threads, they're wonderful.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Someone told him to go on chapo lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Over Easy posted:

Jordan Peterson getting his nips completely blown off by the fact that there is an entire universe of marxist thought that touches on every facet of human existence was p funny

it's totally worth a watch

there is this part where Zizek is all apologetic about giving peterson a face job about calling everyone he disagrees with a marxist and he is like "I am sorry, I am so sorry but who are these marxists? name these marxists" and ""who are these postmodern egalitarian neomarxists? and where do you see any marxism? I see an impotent moralization"

how is this guy a tenured professor lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kurtofan posted:

He's a professor of making up bullshit, which seems to be what Jungian psychology is about. (To my uneducated eyes.)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

IIRC his dumbfuck friend badgered his colleagues into giving him tenure

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

He's a professor of making up bullshit, which seems to be what Jungian psychology is about. (To my uneducated eyes.)

Jungian psychology might as well be called Jungian mythology. It's really interesting in the same way the mythology created by William Blake is interesting. As a hobby, not as something you practice on a patient.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

dirty lousy tramp posted:

IIRC his dumbfuck friend badgered his colleagues into giving him tenure

If I'd gotten undeserved tenure due to nepotism I'd keep my head down. I'd definitely not cravenly seek the type of international infamy that would call attention to my non-existent tenure case. However maybe it's exactly this shamelessness that separates thought-leaders from mediocrity.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Nocturtle posted:

If I'd gotten undeserved tenure due to nepotism I'd keep my head down. I'd definitely not cravenly seek the type of international infamy that would call attention to my non-existent tenure case. However maybe it's exactly this shamelessness that separates thought-leaders from mediocrity.

He probably thinks it's deserved tenure and he thinks he is a clever guy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't think his qualifications have anything to do with Jung it's just his books are him basically retelling Jungian ideas as if he's the first to study them, but he also gets them all wrong.

He's also very clearly increasingly mentally ill and is treating himself with an all meat diet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Jordan Peterson is a thoroughly mediocre white man; the most self-important creature there is.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

you have to be self-aware to do that

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Regarde Aduck posted:

Jungian psychology might as well be called Jungian mythology. It's really interesting in the same way the mythology created by William Blake is interesting. As a hobby, not as something you practice on a patient.

It really depends on the patient.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regarde Aduck posted:

the concepts of the animus and anima being in a constant struggle to reunite even as its psychically and physically impossible is an important thing, u dumbass, u absolute moran

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Regarde Aduck posted:

He doesn't take patients anymore, thankfully. Too busy posting whiny screeds on the internet and getting clowned by mustard-stained Slovenians.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

the concepts of the animus and anima being in a constant struggle to reunite even as its psychically and physically impossible is an important thing, u dumbass, u absolute moran

its called manga you goober

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/iammightor/status/1128021953560940544?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

it's like the all consumer products in Repo Man